LONDON - Wembley Stadium (90,000) - UEFA EURO 2020 - Page 310 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 17th, 2019, 05:46 PM   #6181
cyril sneer

Likes (Received): 1573

Transport from all four corners of the country into and across London isn't a problem you'd probably give much thought about if you happen to live inside the bubble of London I imagine.
cyril sneer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2019, 10:41 PM   #6182
kerouac1848

Likes (Received): 4142

And where is travel quick and easy from all four corners of the country then, especially by train? Try getting from Norwich, Brighton or Portsmouth to B;ham by train. It will take far longer than any major city to London on the railway. Even by car or coach is hardly quick due to the traffic on the relevant motorways.

Besides you said it's on the 'wrong side of London'. I'd love to know what's the 'right side'. Sure ain't Stratford or anywhere in South London.
kerouac1848 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2019, 03:01 PM   #6183
ElvisBC

Likes (Received): 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5portsF4n View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril sneer View Post
Who really gives a monkeys about Wembley anymore? Its long lost all its charm and tradition. Its now just yet another modern corperate orientated bowl-type stadium, but located in the wrong part of London. I lean to the thinking now that the best thing might have actually been selling the stadium to that NFL club.
Good thing you don't have a say in it.
yepp, that would be the worst desecration FA ever did ... or call it blasphemy!

wembley is much more than just a national stadium ... it is huge part of english football heritage and should be kept as such! they should have kept the old one anyway!

JonMaze, AstroBiont liked this post
ElvisBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2019, 03:10 PM   #6184
RobH

Likes (Received): 16487

The old one was a dump and even as a 12 year old my knees were scraping on the seat in front. It needed replacing, and the twin towers would've looked fairly ridiculous next to a big modern 90k bowl, so I don't think they were a loss either (I rather like the arch actually).

It could've been designed with more character though. It does feel a bit dated already.

EPA001 liked this post
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2019, 06:57 PM   #6185
ElvisBC

Likes (Received): 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
The old one was a dump and even as a 12 year old my knees were scraping on the seat in front. It needed replacing, and the twin towers would've looked fairly ridiculous next to a big modern 90k bowl, so I don't think they were a loss either (I rather like the arch actually).

It could've been designed with more character though. It does feel a bit dated already.
of course it was, but instead of trying to make a space shuttle they should have done something with soul, something old wembley definitely used to have!
ElvisBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2019, 01:08 AM   #6186
AstroBiont

Likes (Received): 878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma Saotome View Post
Maybe it's the way the light catches it from this angle, but the polycarbonate cladding on the roof is looking really discoloured in this image.

Regarding Shahid Khan's design for Wembley as an NFL stadium:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisBC View Post
yepp, that would be the worst desecration FA ever did ... or call it blasphemy!

Totally agree with this. The Khan design was an abomination. Also, as RMB2007 and RobH have said, other than the impressive and iconic arch, externally Wembley is really bland and already dated. I'm surprised that an architect of Lord Foster's renown would have designed something so bland.

Last edited by AstroBiont; July 19th, 2019 at 01:18 AM.
AstroBiont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2019, 04:02 PM   #6187
Antonyants

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:

I tend to agree. If the arch was removed then it would have very little character.
Antonyants no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2019, 10:34 PM   #6188
ben77

Likes (Received): 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril sneer View Post
Transport from all four corners of the country into and across London isn't a problem you'd probably give much thought about if you happen to live inside the bubble of London I imagine.
Wembley is about as well connected to all four corners of the country as anywhere else in the country..
ben77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2019, 03:53 PM   #6189
flcinusa

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBiont View Post
Maybe it's the way the light catches it from this angle, but the polycarbonate cladding on the roof is looking really discoloured in this image.
This is what happens, look at Twickenham, 3/4 of the roof is a murky yellowy green colour due to this
flcinusa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2019, 03:58 PM   #6190
RobH

It's why Levy insisted on a glass roof for NWHL:

Quote:
“We had serious sleepless nights on the roof. We wanted glass and everyone said it wasn’t possible. So we found a solution, so this roof will look brand new in five years’ time. If you go to any other stadium, in five years that definitely wouldn’t be the case.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a8851586.html

AstroBiont liked this post
Old July 22nd, 2019, 06:09 PM   #6191
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 22894

Not sure who was telling Levy that as the stadium in Cape Town has a glass roof, and that was built ages before Tottenham's new stadium.

Quote:
The stadium’s roof weighs 4,700 tons and is the largest cable supported glass structure in the world. It consists of almost 9,000 pieces of glass, which are supported by 72 cables of 98mm diameter.
https://paragon.co.za/content/cape-town-stadium
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2019, 06:25 PM   #6192
RobH

I took "wasn't possible" to mean "wasn't possible" for our stadium.

I wonder if that was one of the tweaks Levy himself made after the plans were already well advanced. He was said to be unusually hands on. Most likely it "wasn't possible" (or was a real pain in the arse request) at the stage Levy requested it.

In any case, the main point of post stands. The Wembley roof is a good example of why Levy made that demand of those on the NWHL project.

JimB liked this post
Old July 23rd, 2019, 10:43 AM   #6193
JimB

Likes (Received): 7417

Quote:
I took "wasn't possible" to mean "wasn't possible" for our stadium.

I wonder if that was one of the tweaks Levy himself made after the plans were already well advanced. He was said to be unusually hands on. Most likely it "wasn't possible" (or was a real pain in the arse request) at the stage Levy requested it.

In any case, the main point of post stands. The Wembley roof is a good example of why Levy made that demand of those on the NWHL project.
And the yellow brown Twickenham roof.

LAYiddo liked this post
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2019, 05:04 PM   #6194
AstroBiont

Likes (Received): 878

Quote:
It's why Levy insisted on a glass roof for NWHL:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a8851586.html
Thanks for this info. I'd been meaning to ask on the NWHL thread for a while if the roof ended up using glass or polycarbonate, as I dipped out of following it for a while just as there was some debate about this. Clearly (pun intended) Levy made the right decision.

LAYiddo, JimB liked this post
AstroBiont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
football, london, soccer, uefa euro 2020