West Midlands Metro | City Centre Extension | Comp. - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects Completed projects in the West Midlands Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 9th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #21
LNGCats
BANNED

Likes (Received): 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Westwood View Post
When's work due to start?
Probably a year or so after funding being confirmed, if it ever is.
LNGCats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #22
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 380

One would hope that with the planned upgrades and line penetrating the centre & reaching New Street that new life will be breathed into the midland metro. If the councils of the West Midlands can work together effectively and use the funding tools at their disposal that TfGM and the Greater Manchester Authorities have used so effectively, then there is no reason that The Midland Metro won't end up being extended in the same way that the Metrolink has. Looking objectively with the amount of disused and little used rail lines that could link into the Metro there's no city better placed to pick up the baton from Manchester.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #23
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Likes (Received): 1906

Can we have this moved out f the construction forum and renamed to "Brierly Hill to Wednesbury Metro Extension" please?
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #24
oldbury63

Likes (Received): 665

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTheSoundMan View Post
Can we have this moved out f the construction forum and renamed to "Brierly Hill to Wednesbury Metro Extension" please?
how the heck to move this out from here , im new to this
oldbury63 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #25
Brummyboy92
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1583

Moderator needs to do it.
Old April 9th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #26
Qoasis777
Social Housing

Likes (Received): 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbury63

how the heck to move this out from here , im new to this
We could just use it for the city centre extension which is virtually under construction?
Qoasis777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #27
Qoasis777
Social Housing

Likes (Received): 362

Oldbury - we do have an official Midland metro thread already which you could post stuff in. I don't think we need a separate thread for each proposed extension.
Qoasis777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #28
oldbury63

Likes (Received): 665

ok , ill try and find it
oldbury63 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #29
loadbang

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoasis777 View Post
We could just use it for the city centre extension which is virtually under construction?
Good idea.
loadbang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #30
Red Ape

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blood English Heart View Post
One would hope that with the planned upgrades and line penetrating the centre & reaching New Street that new life will be breathed into the midland metro. If the councils of the West Midlands can work together effectively and use the funding tools at their disposal that TfGM and the Greater Manchester Authorities have used so effectively, then there is no reason that The Midland Metro won't end up being extended in the same way that the Metrolink has. Looking objectively with the amount of disused and little used rail lines that could link into the Metro there's no city better placed to pick up the baton from Manchester.
The other thing it's claimed they also need the line to move freight & they was talking of using trams that could run on normal gauge railway lines to accommodate both. But like everything else they are good at talking, but not very good at doing.
I think all the WM councils have badly let down the area, you only have to see the other areas such as Sheffield, Nottingham & Newcastle who have fully fledged metro systems & the 2nd largest popuation area in the UK got one line

Great photo's Oldbury, I cross that bridge at Great Bridge regularly, it doesn't look they best looked after bridge in the world from underneath
Red Ape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:24 PM   #31
howester89

Likes (Received): 0

I hope I'm not being pedantic or a spelling Nazi, but can we please change the spelling of 'extention' to 'extension' please?. It always annoys me when I see it.
howester89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:28 PM   #32
Red Ape

Likes (Received): 289

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2...-plan-revived/

A £30 million proposal to extend the Midland Metro tram line in Wolverhampton has been revived, transport bosses revealed today.

A first phase of the extension will join up the existing St George’s tram stop in Bilston street with Wolverhampton rail station and is expected to take place before 2015.

The creation of a Metro loop around Market Street and Lichfield Street would not be carried out until a later date.

Wolverhampton City Council and transport authority Centro will also bid for funding for a £154m revamp of Wolverhampton rail station. Developers Neptune, which built the city’s new £22.5m bus station and have plans for the rail station, are also involved in the Metro project.

Transport chiefs will try to persuade the Government that funding for the extension and the railway station revamp will create jobs.

The expansion plans were originally unveiled in 2009 but were shelved the next year after the coalition government announced £693m in cuts.

It is thought that by breaking up the long-awaited extension and leaving the loop element until a later date, the project will be cheaper and more likely to attract Government backing from its Regional Growth Fund.

The Government has so far refused to commit money to the rail station project, which includes plans for a hotel and canalside bars.

Centro spokesman Mark Langford said: “Centro, Wolverhampton City Council and Neptune are working closely together to develop a fully integrated strategic transport hub at Wolverhampton Interchange, where a state of the art bus station opened in 2011.”
Red Ape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:50 PM   #33
Nacho

Likes (Received): 292

The prefered bidder for the extension has been named :

http://www.centro.org.uk/newsroom/Pr...ease30002.aspx
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:54 AM   #34
15AVFC

Likes (Received): 0

A BBC article on the Birmingham city centre extension:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-17926330
15AVFC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:20 PM   #35
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

Yeah. Heard about it last week. How they plan to build the first phase for the price they tendered will be interesting to see. :/
Ecological no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:55 PM   #36
loadbang

Likes (Received): 8

Finished 2015? What a joke.

Everyone go out and vote yes for a mayor today. It's bureaucracy that slows this down.
loadbang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:36 PM   #37
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8197

Insider Media article

Quote:
Centro appoints Balfour Beatty for Midland Metro

Last updated: 3rd May 2012 at 08:23am

Centro has named infrastructure group Balfour Beatty as the preferred bidder to build an extension of the Midland Metro through Birmingham city centre.

The region's transport authority has appointed the construction group to develop a "best and final offer" for the project.

Over the next few months Balfour Beatty will work with Centro's project team and stakeholders to finalise the design and construction proposals. The extension will provide a fast link between Birmingham's two major rail stations.

It is one element of a wider £127m scheme for a fleet of 20 new trams for the Midland Metro system, which runs between Birmingham and Wolverhampton.

"We worked with Balfour Beatty last year when they built the Metro bridge for us over Great Charles Street," Centro chief executive Geoff Inskip said.

"That was a clear demonstration of their proven track record in delivering projects on budget and on time."

The extension is scheduled for completion in 2015, with work starting on street in early 2013. The appointment follows Centro agreeing a £40m deal with Spanish manufacturer CAF to build 25 trams for the scheme.

Meanwhile contractor Morgan Sindall has already begun work on a £13m extension of the Metro maintenance depot at Wednesbury.

The joint project by Centro, the Black Country and Birmingham councils, is expected to boost the West Midlands economy by £50m a year and create up to 1,300 jobs.
http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/...tro/index.html
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #38
Karate_Kev
Kolymaaa

Likes (Received): 2096

Went on a visit to Brum yesterday, I couldn't help feeling if the city had a proper metro/underground it would be so much more than it is. One piddly tram line is just not enough for a city of Birmingham's size
Karate_Kev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #39
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate_Kev View Post
Went on a visit to Brum yesterday, I couldn't help feeling if the city had a proper metro/underground it would be so much more than it is. One piddly tram line is just not enough for a city of Birmingham's size
exactly my thought.. newcastle and Glasgow seem to be able to manage it...

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #40
SuttonBluenose

Likes (Received): 17

Anyone seen Newcastle's underground symbol?

I was wondering, why are there soooooo many morrisons in Newcastle!

Henry George, Progress and Poverty (1879), Book IV Chapter II
SuttonBluenose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
birmingham, metro, network west midlands