West Midlands Metro | City Centre Extension | Comp. - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects Completed projects in the West Midlands Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #121
Paul R

Likes (Received): 7

Apologies for my dark view of the world but surely that is going to be a suicide hotspot? Is it safe to have a Metro stop above one of the busiest roads in the City?
Paul R no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #122
jrawle
Always the Same

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahv2 View Post
For all platforms, you have to go down the new Metro stairs/Lift through the 'back' part of the new Snow Hill Entrance and back up to the platform required. Otherwise you'd physically have to cross the tracks which of course is unsafe. Not sure if there are any access points between the Metro & Heavy rail platforms or not, but they're surely going to be at different heights.
So is there a door at the back of the new entrance concourse, then?

For changing platform, it's no worse than many main line stations, I guess. However, as discussed already, Snow Hill Metro really won't be for accessing the main part of the city centre any more (i.e. the "right" side of Great Charles Street) as doing so will mean the same trek across the road that it used to mean for people going the other way who wanted the main line station before the new entrances were built. Metro passengers won't be able to use the main entrance of Snow Hill mainline station as they can't access the main platforms and walk along them due to the ticket barriers.
jrawle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #123
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5918

Yes, the new metro stop is really solely for interchange with the Snow Hill platforms (the platforms being a fair distance from the actual Colmore Row entrance). I don't think Bull Street is too bad a compromise, but I'd have liked a stop closer to Colmore Row too. That might be too many stops though.

Quote:
Apologies for my dark view of the world but surely that is going to be a suicide hotspot? Is it safe to have a Metro stop above one of the busiest roads in the City?
Forgive me for being blunt but why, when they can "just" jump in front of a train?

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #124
Paul R

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBadger View Post
Yes, the new metro stop is really solely for interchange with the Snow Hill platforms (the platforms being a fair distance from the actual Colmore Row entrance). I don't think Bull Street is too bad a compromise, but I'd have liked a stop closer to Colmore Row too. That might be too many stops though.

Forgive me for being blunt but why, when they can "just" jump in front of a train?
A choice of tram, train or cars. Truly a multi-modal interchange!
Paul R no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #125
Nacho

Likes (Received): 292

Letter to the Birmingham Post :

http://www.birminghampost.net/commen...5233-31233390/
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #126
oldbury63

Likes (Received): 665

QUOTE=DBadger;92683928]Yes, the new metro stop is really solely for interchange with the Snow Hill platforms (the platforms being a fair distance from the actual Colmore Row entrance). I don't think Bull Street is too bad a compromise, but I'd have liked a stop closer to Colmore Row too. That might be too many stops though.

Forgive me for being blunt but why, when they can "just" jump in front of a train?[/QUOTE]

bull street ,its on way that the metro will run ,and is just a stones throw from snow hill station . a tram stop could be built here to serve the shops.

loking away from snow hill

looking towards snow hill

Last edited by oldbury63; December 14th, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
oldbury63 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #127
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 2028

I suppose those trees will be removed. But otherwise a great spot for a central tramstop with lines either side.
Old June 26th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #128
Nacho

Here is an image we have seen before ; the trees are still there . I'd have thought they would be removed.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/centro-...57628913672357
Old June 26th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #129
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2757

as nacho has shown, a stop will be going on bull street

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #130
blahblahv2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Um. Yeah. Come on guys. I put an image of the stops on the previous page. That's exactly where the Bull Street stop is going to go!
blahblahv2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #131
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 796

Does anyone know if they'd considered the original Snow Hill stop for peak time operation. In some ways this might make more sense for those that need to get straight to the office developments or for those that very quickly need to meet with connecting trains at the head of the station - those services maybe wouldn't need to stop at, what I'd call, 'Snowhill St Chads'.

It could be called 'Snow Hill Colmore Row' with 20-30% of services stopping here at peak times... kind of similar to how Chiltern alternates it's trains between Snowhill and Moor street terminals.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #132
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1018

remember that there will be a new station built at snow hill station which will connect directly into the station (well as directly as the current arrangements are anyway) plus also, when you factor in walking up stairs, and then down the glas corridor, id has a guess that the proposed bull street stop will actually be closer tocolmore row than te curent snow shill stop is!
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #133
blahblahv2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

No data or sources to back this up, but my hunch is that most of the people currently getting off at Snow Hill will use Bull Street instead, with new customers to the Metro making use of Corp Street & New Street.
blahblahv2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #134
Qoasis777
Social Housing

Likes (Received): 362

I agree with that. New snow hill stop will serve people coming from hockley
Qoasis777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #135
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5918

The original station and it's approach are going to become Snow Hill platform 4 again, so no, it can't be used.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #136
feltip

Likes (Received): 510

Here are the images i posted all the way back on June 19 2011 showing station on bridge.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=131

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 12:00 AM   #137
Nacho

I've always liked those images .

Without data at hand , when I arrive by Metro at Snow Hill , I get the impression that most people pass through the Great Western Arcade or cut through the church on their way to the New Street area.I feel the majority wouldn't get off at Snow Hill if they didn't have to .I think the Corporation St stop will one of the most used .
Old June 29th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #138
MK Tom

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by feltip View Post

Looking at this, I don't really see why people are so worried it won't work as an interchange. You walk down the stairs and into the Snow Hill entrance and you're up on the platform again! A footbridge would be nice though.
MK Tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #139
Qoasis777
Social Housing

Likes (Received): 362

But looking at that last image it appears to indicate you can enter snow hill from the same side when in actual fact as things stand you would have to walk under the bridge and enter the other side surely?
Qoasis777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #140
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1018

indeed... thats was a little balls-up which again has beset the second entrance to snowhill station....

the plan originally was to punch right through the bridge and have entrances both sides, but alas, one of the many things that was alters during this 5 year long project was cutting costs by only opening one entrance!!!

you will indeed need to walk undr the bridge to get into the station... not a long walk by any stretch of the imaging but a very short sites cost saving exercise indeed!
Advertisement

Tags
birmingham, metro, network west midlands