New Street Station | Redevelopment | Comp. - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects Completed projects in the West Midlands Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 03:29 PM   #21
Newby

Likes (Received): 5

[QUOTE=Erebus555;42286316]So it looks like it'll be turned into a row at shops, at least partly anyway. I think the access will be altered or completely removed.

The existing stair tower, escalator and link to Stephenson's Tower car park will go, as will the link bridge to the Pallasades. There will be a couple of shop units, which may well go when the two towers get built - don't hold your breath - and a new road access into the Station. And of course the new steps up from the junction of Hill Street and Station Street to the new South entrance into the station.

Not much point in taking photos yet, there won't be much change externally until Easter next year.
Advertisement

Old September 3rd, 2009, 07:54 PM   #22
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby View Post
The existing stair tower, escalator and link to Stephenson's Tower car park will go, as will the link bridge to the Pallasades. There will be a couple of shop units, which may well go when the two towers get built - don't hold your breath - and a new road access into the Station. And of course the new steps up from the junction of Hill Street and Station Street to the new South entrance into the station.
Aaah thanks for the info.

Quote:
Not much point in taking photos yet, there won't be much change externally until Easter next year.
I'm not rushing! Though I am very snap happy.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:18 PM   #23
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3698

I wonder how many of us will still be using these forums when this is complete in 2015
Advertisement

Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:49 PM   #24
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

You'd have the same post count as I do now.... my post count would be in standard form.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:17 PM   #25
Brummyboy92
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1583

I reckon I will still be using the forums by then, unless I die in the mean time!

PerpetualBrum liked this post
Brummyboy92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #26
Newby

Likes (Received): 5

I will unless I fall under a tram on Stephenson Street!
Old September 4th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #27
NeilM
That's Dr to you

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby View Post
I will unless I fall under a tram on Stephenson Street!
You sure that would be before 2015?
Old September 4th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #28
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 2027

Masshouse man will be collecting his pension.....
Old September 4th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #29
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Or he will have made a bid to take over Carillion all by himself.

Anyway, back on topic. Woo New Street.

Old September 5th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #30
jakethomas991

Likes (Received):

Hi everyone.

After looking around on the pallasades website, they're giving the impression nothing will change at all, obviously misleading.
What exactly will happen to the pallasades? Are they completely re building the whole thing? 'Sprucing' it up?
What 'Central Shops' are to go? Are we talking about the Subway & Starbucks adjacent to the escalators?

Is the pallasades work in Phase 2?

Also, Network Rail is saying the station will be fully operational for the duration of the works, but surely when they're gutting platforms they'll need to close them right?

Sorry to bombard with questions in one thread.
Old September 5th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #31
Brums'grove

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethomas991 View Post
Hi everyone.

After looking around on the pallasades website, they're giving the impression nothing will change at all, obviously misleading.
What exactly will happen to the pallasades? Are they completely re building the whole thing? 'Sprucing' it up?
What 'Central Shops' are to go? Are we talking about the Subway & Starbucks adjacent to the escalators?

Is the pallasades work in Phase 2?

Also, Network Rail is saying the station will be fully operational for the duration of the works, but surely when they're gutting platforms they'll need to close them right?

Sorry to bombard with questions in one thread.
1. The pallasades website will not say much as the pallasades is now under birmingham council control and any changes are years away at the moment.

2. Most of the middle shops will be going only leaving the outer ring i believe which are the likes of tesco argos etc, if you have ever been to liverpool street station i imagine new street will be fairly similar as u will be able to look down on the station from the above shops creating a very open atmosphere which will also allow for the glass roof effect and more light to the concorse.

3. The pallasades may well be spruced up slightly but this will be mainly the external alterations, there is very little information about how it will look but i imagine now bcc own it they will be interested in improving the pallasades as its the first thing people see when they leave new street station.

4. Pallasades will be phase 2 as phase one is all about creating a new concourse so that the old concourse can be spruced up to look like the new one then opening the whole thing up when phase 2 is complete.

5. Most of the platform work will happen during bank holidays i believe, someone mentioned christmas / new year time during one of the years but i cant remember which year that is due, most likely to cause huge delays and ridculous amounts of replacement buses but it will have to be done.

Welcome to the forum anyway.
Brums'grove no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #32
feltip

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brums'grove View Post
1. The pallasades website will not say much as the pallasades is now under birmingham council control and any changes are years away at the moment.

5. Most of the platform work will happen during bank holidays i believe, someone mentioned christmas / new year time during one of the years but i cant remember which year that is due, most likely to cause huge delays and ridculous amounts of replacement buses but it will have to be done.
To correct Brumsgrove's point about bank holidays etc for work on the platforms there will be no optimum time, work on the platform level will continue all through both phases of West and East concourse work while the station is still open. This has to happen not least as there is a lot more that needs to be done than could be managed during bank holidays alone (i.e. lift pits, escalator pits as there will be 43 in total, new shafts in concourse level for lifts, signage etc etc. The extension to Navigation Street bridge will supposedly take place during a Christmas blockade in 2010 although obviously timings are never guaranteed either is unforseen challenges (http://www.railpro.co.uk/issues/pdfs..._platforms.pdf).

On retail I posted an excerpt from Director of Property to Cabinet Member for Regeneration report about Unit 48 and 49 which Simon said is the MK One unit which shows the council will be doing work but mainly to keep revenue maintained while the station works are being done.

Quote:
This report seeks to inform the Cabinet Member of progress in the granting of a new lease for Units 48 & 49 of the Pallasades shopping centre in which the City Council are long leaseholders.

Background
4.1 The City Council owns the long leasehold of the Pallasades shopping centre, which was acquired on 31st March 2009 to facilitate the redevelopment of New Street station, known as the Gateway Project as approved by full Cabinet authority on 2 February 2009.
4.2 The Gateway project will see the 1960s station undergo a dramatic transformation into a bright, modern transport hub, will double passenger capacity and redevelop and regenerate the area around the station include the Pallasades.
4.3 Birmingham Property Services is responsible for the letting of the shopping centre, with support from project partners Network Rail.
4.4 This commitment is in line with the Lettings Policy for the centre and will not impede on the delivery of the Gateway project.

Reason for Decison
To grant a new lease will mitigate loss of income for the Council, help to maintain the footfall through the centre and will allow for trader activity to be maintained in this area of the shopping centre.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #33
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2740

why don't they do platform work at night like they do on the underground?

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 01:39 AM   #34
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

They may well do but there is also the issues of noise. The underground is... well underground. New Street Station's platforms are still pretty open so noise will reverberate out into the open - not nice for those living nearby!

Old September 6th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #35
delores

Likes (Received): 829

So what's happening to ladywood house, will it be reclad pehaps? or just left as is? and the residential tower is that going too? It's not clear on the plans.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #36
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3897

Residential tower is getting blown up.
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #37
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 552

probably not literally though, i'd expect it to be taken down a little bit more carefully given the railway next door.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #38
JohnnyD

Likes (Received): 0

This is a smashing development for Birmingham, better than the Cube I think. Big city Stations are too scruffy and intimidating and need to be revamped and modernised so this is fab stuff. Hopefully it will be as good as they say it will be and last.

JohnnyD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #39
feltip

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores View Post
So what's happening to ladywood house, will it be reclad pehaps? or just left as is? and the residential tower is that going too? It's not clear on the plans.
Ladywood House will be the base for the train operators running from the station as there won't be space for them with the station redesign. At best it might get it's windows cleaned but it's fairly maintained and unlikely to be spruced up significantly.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #40
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

What was the deal with the refurb into a hotel? I've completely forgotten about that.

Skysacity liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
birmingham, network rail, train station