Primark | Former Pavillions | High Street | Retail | Redevelopment | Comp. - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects Completed projects in the West Midlands Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2016, 09:07 PM   #81
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2739

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
IKEA was looking at smaller format stores from memory,

Just thinking about it how does Primark, bhs etc get their deliveries? I've been about all hours all days and can't say I've ever seen deliveries? Must be a service level surely?
High Street and New Street open for deliveries from 4am i believe and close for deliveries at 7.30/8am from my time working in retail. I assume they load from the front or off Corporation Street.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2016, 09:18 PM   #82
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5910

AFAIK Primark is accessed via the Pavilions loading bay, there's a big underground service road. There's no way a Primark store could handle street deliveries, Birmingham will have at least 50 pallets of stock a day I reckon.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 09:19 PM   #83
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8213

I think that's for the smaller retailers I've never seen bhs or Primark lorries

Martineau place has an underground service yard, possibly linked through to big top?
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2016, 12:01 AM   #84
KHvillan

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborne Ultimatum View Post
It looks an abandoned attempt at origami that is on its way to the waste paper basket. And they are dumping it on top of our one remaining Victorian station.
I quite like it. It looks much better than the current pavilions from Moor Street. You could argue that selfridges was dumped on top of the station and is a complete contrast in design but it works.

I really dislike the area when you exit Moor street in terms of public realm and huge barriers on either side and the horrendous Moor St Link but I see this as an improvement with a major entrance for primark onto the mall
KHvillan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 12:55 AM   #85
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14976

Has anyone actually looked at the Design Statement, Primark are putting a lot into this store, best to read it and look at matierals/lights and stuff before judging purely off the renders.

I wasn't a huge fan of this when I first saw the renders, but after reading into it, its not bad at all

DBadger liked this post
ReissOmari está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 12:57 AM   #86
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
I think that's for the smaller retailers I've never seen bhs or Primark lorries

Martineau place has an underground service yard, possibly linked through to big top?
My store (Currys) BHS, the current Primark, EE, The Gym, M&S, The Pavilions and a bunch of other stores are accessed from the service road behind Pavilions.

Also, the High Street closes to deliveries at 10am, DPD have to deliver ours by 9.30.

sefton66 liked this post
Old January 9th, 2016, 02:05 AM   #87
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8213

So an underground car park isn't really out of the question then
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 01:41 PM   #88
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3698

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHvillan View Post
I really dislike the area when you exit Moor street in terms of public realm and huge barriers on either side and the horrendous Moor St Link but I see this as an improvement with a major entrance for primark onto the mall
I think the Moor Street area has become a bit of a mess. The pavements seem very narrow, yet are cluttered with a lot of (poorly designed) street furniture. Bus stops that you can't sit down at. Advertising boards that block the pavement. Then the lanes for buses or taxis to do U-turns. Seems badly designed, with some planting added as an afterthought.

.... Sorry that was quite off topic
Old January 12th, 2016, 03:47 PM   #89
LocalVernacular
...you can call me LoVe.

Likes (Received): 934

People keep suggesting that this is an improvement for connectivity and I just can't see it. The Pavilions access/delivery road will remain where it is, meaning the Moor Street entrance to Primark will be no different to what is there now. Also, the change in levels needs to be managed within the store, so presumably that will mean stairs and escalators to get you up to High Street level - as is already the case. The Primark scheme doesn't improve connectivity or the external appearance of the building.

leonigmig liked this post
LocalVernacular no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 07:23 PM   #90
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

LC, at the moment to get from Moor Street to High Street through Pavilions, there are currently 2 sets of escalators and a set of steps, within Primark there will be one long Escalator up, so connectivity will be much better, the Moor Street level will be raised too, Subway and the remaining shops will be filled in and the new entrance will be in line with the current pavements and bus stops. In the App too they proposed new Street furniture and paving, Primark hve put a lot of work and thought into the surrounding areas, but it was a main factor to get the App approved.

I remember someone saying the stores have until April 2016 to move out, Evans, Laura Ashley and NXWM all need to find a new location, especially since every start of the month the queue to get into the store runs down towards Subway!
Old January 12th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #91
brum2003

Likes (Received): 258

Are you sure they can level the entrance with the service road directly above. In the images the entrance still appears sunken ?
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 07:46 PM   #92
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Yes, remember from the escalator next to NXWM Shop down to Subway, there is a ramp, all Primark will do is raise this ramp to one level, there will be a low ceiling though I think.
Old January 12th, 2016, 08:37 PM   #93
brum2003

Likes (Received): 258

Ok makes sense ta
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 09:03 PM   #94
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
I think this is pretty good.

It's a good cladding material and because it is double skinned it will have real depth and a good lighting scheme will look great at night. The brand named is not cheap but of course they might try to change it.

The big problem is there needs to be decent pedestrian route through to Moor St station and Curzon St station and there isn't one at the minute.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 05:02 PM   #95
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3698

From the Birmingham Post website. Wasn't sure if we had seen all these visuals....

Bureau des etrangers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 07:19 PM   #96
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5910

Some of those are new. Looks a lot better in these, too (especially the view from Moor Street).

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 09:49 PM   #97
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureau des etrangers View Post
From the Birmingham Post website. Wasn't sure if we had seen all these visuals....

The design is driving me mad so this is a quick mock-up of my thoughts on improving the design - The cladding could be consistent/uniform across the elevation and using columns could homogenise the cladding with the ground floor double height glazing. In my view, this improves the architectural merit whilst retaining a distinctive design for primark....

I could be wrong though, its all subjective

DBadger, djay liked this post
GrAfiK_248 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 10:05 PM   #98
Brummyboy92
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1583

Nope your right, that does look better.
Brummyboy92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 12:30 PM   #99
sellystudent

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrAfiK_248 View Post

The design is driving me mad so this is a quick mock-up of my thoughts on improving the design - The cladding could be consistent/uniform across the elevation and using columns could homogenise the cladding with the ground floor double height glazing. In my view, this improves the architectural merit whilst retaining a distinctive design for primark....

Just let them know that it'll be cheaper to build it with more standard panels and it'll get changed in the value engineering stage...
sellystudent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 10:26 AM   #100
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureau des etrangers View Post

It looks like they are not going to continue the cladding around the bend towards Waterstones
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrAfiK_248 View Post
[/URL]

That is a lot better!
Advertisement