The Rotunda | Residential | New Street | 25 fl | 81m | Comp. - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects Completed projects in the West Midlands Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #81
Dazza

Likes (Received): 0

Month-long city tribute to Rotunda Sep 19 2005

A month-long celebration will be launched today to mark the rebirth of Birmingham's Rotunda as an apartment block and its status as an architectural icon.

As part of the Iconic Instances celebrations, there will be events led by Shaun Cope of Spirit Arts, Tom Lawes of The Electric Cinema and Glenn Howells of Glenn Howells Architects.

Fiona Woodward-Kelly, marketing director of developers Urban Splash, said: "In celebrating the rebirth of Rotunda, the Iconic Instances campaign recognises the iconic nature of the city's much-loved landmark. It is a fitting tribute to the tower that, for 40 years, has graced the city's skyline."

Iconic Instances will include lead architect on the Rotunda project, Glenn Howells, presenting his vision of the role of contemporary architecture in urban renaissance, in a debate at Glenn Howells Architects in Digbeth at 6.30pm on Wednesday September 28. Aspiring architects, developers and designers will be encouraged to discuss his thoughts.

The second event will be the Liquid Fusion Icons of Dance evening on Sunday October 2, from 10pm to 2am, at Zinc Bar& Grill, hosted by Birmingham-based choreographer Shaun Cope and DJ Bruce Q.
Dazza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2005, 03:05 PM   #82
pirlo_21
Scaramouche, Scaramouche,

Likes (Received): 451

thats intresting, but we want more renders please!!
Old September 19th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #83
brum2003

Likes (Received): 258

http://www.giraffecomms.com/News/Big_splash_for_Rotunda!.aspx
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #84
Nacho

Likes (Received): 292

Thanks for the link brum2003.At one time they wanted to knock it down;I'm glad public opinion made the powers that be reconsider their decision!
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 10:04 PM   #85
Splop
Certified loonie.

Giraffe hits heights to promote Rotunda
Sep 19 2005

The battle to promote the next phase in the life of one of Birmingham's most famous buildings has been won by city- based Giraffe Communications.

The company fought off competition from 13 other agencies to land the contract from developer Urban Splash to launch the rebirth of the Rotunda.

Giraffe has cause for double celebration - the business has also landed the PR support deal for an Urban Splash project at Fort Dunlop.

The developer this month started work on a £25 million scheme to turn the Rotunda into a prime city centre place to live.

Giraffe won the PR contract - for an undisclosed sum - with a pitch which aims to make the most of the Rotunda's famous appearance both in the city, the region and the rest of the country.

Director Sarah Hughes said: "This iconic building has stood the test of time and remains an instantly recognisable UK landmark. National media interest is already high."

Tom Bloxham MBE, chairman of Urban Splash, said Giraffe shared his company's "ethos and approach" of a contemporary culture.

The Giraffe campaign will include using national, regional and trade media to build news stories and profile pieces relating to both the Rotunda and Urban Splash.

Central to the publicity drive is the development of "Iconic Instances", a campaign that uses landmark moments in culture and architecture to highlight the stand-out nature of Rotunda.

The listed 40- year- old building is being transformed into 232 contemporary apartments which will shortly be released onto the market.

All of the new homes are expected to be complete by early 2008.

The apartments will be priced between £150,000 and £500,000 and the first flats go on sale on October 15, when a sales marquee will be set up at the Bullring.

Urban Splash say they hope the site will create a community, not an exclusive yuppie area, attracting first time buyers, professionals and local people.

Fiona Woodward-Kelly, Urban Splash's executive director for group marketing said the company had also commissioned the agency to provide PR support for the forthcoming launch of a mixed use development at Fort Dunlop.

Soon to celebrate the start of its fourth year in business, Giraffe Communications was founded by Sarah Hughes after she saw a gap in the market.

She said: "It was clear to me that there was a real demand for big agency experience at small agency prices."

The company uses a virtual network of marketing professionals to meet clients' specific needs.

Urban Splash was Set up in 1993 by Tom Bloxham and Jonathan Falkingham and has created over one million sq ft of residential and commercial space, with another 100 million sq ft in the pipeline.

The company's other developments in the West Midlands include work at Fort Dunlop and Walsall Waterfront.
Old September 20th, 2005, 03:11 AM   #86
Smileyface
BAND AID

Likes (Received): 274

I still want to know when this big electronic wrap around sign is going up
Old September 20th, 2005, 09:17 AM   #87
city living

Likes (Received): 1

claremont an edgbaston company has bought 140 appartments in the rotunda for £25 million that is over half of the 232 flats for sale.
city living no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 11:03 AM   #88
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

As I was driving into work this morning I caught a glimpse of the Rotunda as I'd never seen before. Obviously they have finished removing all the internal partitions, because as I was driving toward it, with the sun rising beyond, you could see right through the building (with the exception of the core) - it was like a giant lantern!

Beautiful

Btw - I wonder what the people will think on the 39th floor of HCT when they wake up to a mist-shrouded apartment like it was this morning?
Old September 25th, 2005, 10:59 PM   #89
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 500

Quote:
Birmingham News 22/09/05
Tower Power

Rotunda’s rebirth as an architectural icon will be celebrated next month with a host of dance, music and art events.

Iconic Instances has been launched to mark the cylindrical tower's status in Birmingham's history and also to identify emerging trends in the city.

The calendar of events will be led by budding icons from the city such as Shaun Cope of Spirit Arts, Tom Lawes of The Electric Cinema and Glenn Howells of Glenn Howells Architects, who are behind the building's transformation.

Fiona Woodward-Kelly, marketing director of Urban Splash, who are regenerating the Rotunda, said: "In celebrating the rebirth of Rotunda, the Iconic Instances campaign recognises the iconic nature of the city s much-loved landmark.
"It is a fitting tribute to the tower that, for 40 years, has graced the city's sky line."

On September 28, from 6:30-8:30pm there will be a free discussion at Glenn Howells Architects on the role of architecture in taking the city forward. Emerging icon and lead architect on Rotunda, Glenn Howells, will present his vision of the role of contemporary architecture in urban renaissance.

Aspiring architects, developers and designers will be encouraged to discuss his thoughts in what is expected to be a lively, thought provoking debate.
Pre-booking is essential -contact Vicki McGrath at Glenn Howells Architects on 0121 666 7640.

On October 2 from 10pm-2am there will be a free Icons of Dance evening at Zinc Bar and Grill in Regency Wharf. Hosted by Birmingham based choreographer Shaun Cope and DJ Bruce Q, guests will be invited to meet, move and mingle with the city's most prolific musicians and dancers as they come together for a truly iconic evening of artistic expression.

Then on October 8 My Architect - A Son's Journey will be shown at The Electric Cinema, 47-49 Station Street, at 3:45pm (admission from £4-£10). Written by Nathaniel Kahn it traces the epic journey to reconcile the life and work of his father, the mysterious and contradictory architect, Louis I. Khan.

With the exception of the architectural discussion, there's no need to book, just turn up (entry on a first come, first served basis).
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 01:14 AM   #90
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1018

god theres nothing like short notice......

anyone going?
Old September 29th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #91
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 500

I didn't in the end. I tried to book, admittedly fairly late, but they were full

Did anyone go?
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 02:49 PM   #92
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3307

I'm a bit worried about The Rotunda being reclad in glass. I mean I'm sure it would look great and more modern but The Rotunda is famous for being a landmark ugly / beautiful (delete as appropriate) 1960's building. If a famous building like the houses of parliament got reclad in glass everyone would be up in arms about it... mind you I suppose that IS more achitecturally interesting and a little bit a lot more older so ignore my comment!

I look forward to the "new look Rotunda" but I sure will miss the old look.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 02:52 PM   #93
Blunther
Kebab Licker

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfingers
a little bit a lot more older so ignore my comment!

You like your munter-buildings eh chap?

I know what you mean though. I'll miss the scabby old Rotunda.

To be honest I'm not that impressed with the rendering of the new Rotunda. Looks a bit cartooney that rendering... I'd like to see a proper one.
Blunther no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 03:00 PM   #94
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Mmmm hmmm. I think it needs skin treatment rather than new clothes. BUT I'm sure it'll look good and the people who will live in those fab new appartments will be very lucky.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 03:09 PM   #95
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3897

You know this Advertising moving thingy

http://www.hollywoodgroup.co.uk/media/

Is this just for the time the sell the flats, or are the residents going to have a rather odd (insanity causing) light effect?
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 04:04 PM   #96
pirlo_21
Scaramouche, Scaramouche,

Likes (Received): 451

just while they are doing it up of course
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:59 PM   #97
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield
I'm a bit worried about The Rotunda being reclad in glass. I mean I'm sure it would look great and more modern but The Rotunda is famous for being a landmark ugly / beautiful (delete as appropriate) 1960's building. If a famous building like the houses of parliament got reclad in glass everyone would be up in arms about it... mind you I suppose that IS more achitecturally interesting and a little bit a lot more older so ignore my comment!

I look forward to the "new look Rotunda" but I sure will miss the old look.
Don't forget though that Glen Howells are working with the original architect! this will look far better than the renders, believe me
Old October 3rd, 2005, 09:41 PM   #98
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Ok I've been won over
Old October 4th, 2005, 01:27 AM   #99
Confused Philosopher

Oh? New fruit?
Confused Philosopher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 02:42 AM   #100
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Actually it's a vegetable but this is no place to be discussing fruit and veg. .........It's just the cucumber / banana / pepper with big hair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
residential, rotunda