SkyscraperCity Forum banner

[RUS] Russia | road infrastructure • Российские магистрали

Tags
roads
1M views 4K replies 422 participants last post by  Dober_86 
#1 ·
Russia's Putin calls on government to improve roads
17 April 2006

MOSCOW, April 17 (Prime-Tass) -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has called on the government to work on improving the state of Russia’s roads, ITAR-TASS reported Monday.

With Russia's proverbial bad state of auto roads and the world's vastest territory, improving roads is a task of leviathan proportions.

At a meeting with Putin, Zhukov focused on road development.

In particular, the 10,000-kilometer road - the world’s longest - that links Moscow, Vladivostok and the Baltic Sea ports, will be completed soon, Deputy Prime Minister Alexander Zhukov said at a meeting with Putin at the Kremlin.

Private investors are expected to finance the construction of many highways, Zhukov said. The government plans to conclude concession agreements with investors financing the construction of toll roads, Zhukov added.

Speaking on air transportation, Zhukov said that a network of federal airports and international interchange hubs are expected to be built.

Putin also called on the ministers to amend legislation as soon as possible to stop the misuse of land allocated for the construction of roads and other infrastructure.

"It is perfectly evident to us that it is not ordinary people who buy land. If the Transportation Ministry and the Economic Development and Trade Ministry have a common position on this issue, then try to do it (amend the legislation) as soon as possible," Putin said.

At the present time the government is examining a bill on the reservation of land plots for the construction of roads and other federal infrastructure facilities in the future, Economic Development and Trade Minister German Gref said at the meeting with Putin.

The government will discuss transport strategy at one of its meetings in the near future, Putin said.

See less See more
#36 ·
M7 in Perm

M7 east of Kazan, towards Kazan

M7:

M7 Kazan - Nizhny Novgorod:

M7 again
M7 - is this considered a motorway in Russia? If it is, it's sure a lot different to other countries, what with no linemarking on some parts, single carriageways, undivided four lane sections, sharp turn-offs and to cap it all off, in the fourth photo above, pedestrian crossings!!! WTF?? LOL!

#30 ·
Russian roads are not something.
some of them reminds me south east american roads (like in Georgia, Florida and Carolina).
Kaltsevaya Daroga of Moscow is ok.
i remember a good road east to Moscow (when i was there in 1999).
also, the russians can't drive. i will not be surprised if the highest percentage of accident in Europe.

#32 ·
Chris, Russian highways = Российские автодороги. You might want to correct the title of this thread. People don't typically say магистрали in plural form.

When you refer to landstraße, you should say 'трасса' or 'шоссе' (more rarely). When you refer to autobahn, you say 'автомагистраль'.

I think it's a shame that there is no continuous motorway from Moscow to St Petersburg. Since I myself is from Kaliningrad (Königsberg), I haven't driven a lot in the 'mainland' Russia; however, once I drove from St. Petersburg to Moscow, and it was not a particularly pleasant drive.

#47 ·
the condos are quite Chinese-style.
But chinese builds dense highrises just because they has hell enormous population.
Heck, you should rather say, Chinese condos are quite Russian style. :lol:

Or rather: Welcome to communist block architecture.:cheers:
You should see such condos almost everywhere in eastern Europe. Ugly and uniform, but cheap and plentiful.

#45 ·
What else besides apartments can be in Moscow? In case you don't know, most people actually own their apartments, unlike in Europe and North America where apartments are usually rented. My family owned a 2-bedroom apartment (flat) in an ugly 16f commieblock on the outskirts of Kaliningrad until we sold it for $30,000. I have never had any regrets about it :eek:hno: Now, every time I look at these tall commieblocks (whether it be China, Russia or Europe), I fall into depression :lol:

#50 ·
^^ That makes - cir. $ 2,59 for 1gallon of gas, when in Philadelphia Pa. average price for 1gallon (3,78L) of premium gas is right now, around $3,00
So, the price for gas in Russia isn't that low, as I thought it would be.
It's the more strange to me, when you consider that Russia is a major producer of oil, and USA import most of the oil, used for production of gas, sold in USA.

#53 ·
Gas prices in the Netherlands are € 5,70 per Gallon or $ 7,70 per gallon. So in Russia and the US, gas is still quite a good deal, however i heard lots of US people complaining about the "high" gas prices, but they really have the luxury of low gas prices, so even when US gas prices doubles, it's still cheaper than in Western Europe.

#51 ·
Is it true that private motor vehicle ownership was either greatly restricted or totally banned in Russia under communism? If so, I guess there would have been little need for motorways and other similar roads so have most of Russia's motorways been built since communism's demise?

#63 ·
Restricted? No, but it was out of the reach of most people. Usualy the price was set so that it was hard to afford and there was a long waiting list just to be able to buy a car (5-10 years). I belive that during the 1980s, there were 60 cars per 1000 people. Of course there was no demand to build large motorways, so often simple roads did the job. Right now, real motorways only exist around major cities like Moscow and St petersburg.

#57 ·
That's what my dad said when on business in Toronto. They drove down Highway 427 from the airport and he said it looked rather depressing to see the Soviet bloc design of apartments. When I saw it for myself some years later, I had to agree.

We don't like that in the USA. Our Apartments are 2-3 levels tall and have entrances on the exterior or in an interior though exposed on each side to the outside, hall. I hope in the future, Western style neighborhoods with houses become more popular in Eastern Europe and Russia as wealth grows.

#69 ·
^^ I thought the M4 from Moscow via Tula to Belgorod was extended time by time.

And i heard there were plans to build a motorway to St.Petersburg too.

But funny thing is they don't seem to prioritize Moscow - Smolensk - Belarus. However, most of that road is 2+2 lanes, but no motorway.

#71 ·
Some M2 Moskva - Tula - Orel - Kursk - Belgorod - UA

1. Near Belgorod. Straight on for Belgorod city and Voronezh, which goes to the northeast shortly after this trumpet-shaped interchange. Go right for the Ukrainian city's of Kharkiv (Kharkov) and Sumy.

2. The Ukrainian Russian border, north of Kharkiv. Here is the Ukrainian M27 merging with the Russian M2

3. The old M2 in Kursk. They build a new bypass around the city now.

4. From Tula, the last 220km northward to Moscow are up to motorway standards. The M2 is quite old, and encounters severe conditions in winter times. It is extended southward from time to time.

5. Some 90km south of Moscow, the M2 widens to 2x3 lanes.

#72 ·
Maybe they should build more tollroads in Russia, because it's a large country. In France en Spain they do build tollroads, because it's too expensive to build free roads of several hunderd kilometers. I know there will be no enterprise to build a highway in Siberia, but maybe between large cities like Moscow and Sint-Petersburg or between Moscow and the borders of some states like Ukraine, Bielrussia or a Baltic state.

#76 ·
Yes, they said the same thing in Romania some 10 years ago when construction of motorways came into discussion and look where we are now...:eek:hno: Still it's true that the Russians had/have much more kms of 4-lane roads than we. Surely it would easier to convert them to express-roads than narrower roads, right?

#78 ·
Construction of the first toll roads in Russia will begin as early as spring 2008. One of the first motorways built will be Moscow-St Petersburg. This road will bypass the cities through which the current road M10 passes.

Approximate route:

The initial traffic is estimated at 70 000 cars/day