Collar Site | Etihad Campus - Page 173 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 25th, 2019, 10:59 PM   #3441
mileymc1

Likes (Received): 2438

I imagine it would be very rare for two different artists/groups who would want a 20,000 arena, on the same night, in Manchester. I think a 6,000 - 12,000 seater arena is what's really missing in Manchester. However, If the MEN was gone and a new 20,000/25,000 area was to be build around the Etihad then that could work. So much potential to re-develop the MEN site if it was gone. On the other hand, the location is a reason why the MEN has been so successful. It's such a pain if you're in central London and having to track across to the 02. Having a 20,000 seater arena in the city centre is unheard of and a massive benefit to the city and venue. The train station is extremely useful also.

BiggerisBetter liked this post
mileymc1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2019, 11:11 PM   #3442
bagg10

Likes (Received): 13

i'm thinking that the proposed arena would be home to a sports team, such as manchester storm. i'd like to see the city have a successful ice hockey team playing in a european league.

JBGee, AJD1984 liked this post
bagg10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2019, 11:13 PM   #3443
AncoatsLass

Likes (Received): 434

Collar Site | Etihad Campus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileymc1 View Post
I imagine it would be very rare for two different artists/groups who would want a 20,000 arena, on the same night, in Manchester. I think a 6,000 - 12,000 seater arena is what's really missing in Manchester. However, If the MEN was gone and a new 20,000/25,000 area was to be build around the Etihad then that could work. So much potential to re-develop the MEN site if it was gone. On the other hand, the location is a reason why the MEN has been so successful. It's such a pain if you're in central London and having to track across to the 02. Having a 20,000 seater arena in the city centre is unheard of and a massive benefit to the city and venue. The train station is extremely useful also.

Ok - maybe I was too narrow before. Rather than specifically bands, how about simultaneous events? For eg the MEN arena hosts monster truck events, Cirque du Soliel, Disney on Ice shows, sport events etc. Surely touring events clash with band tours quite frequently? There could be enough entertainment to fill 2 big arenas in Manchester. Events that usually stay in London or skip Manchester due to scheduling clashes could come here if capacity was made available.

Slow Burn liked this post

Last edited by AncoatsLass; June 25th, 2019 at 11:18 PM.
AncoatsLass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2019, 11:45 PM   #3444
JBGee

Likes (Received): 2184

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncoatsLass View Post
Ok - maybe I was too narrow before. Rather than specifically bands, how about simultaneous events? For eg the MEN arena hosts monster truck events, Cirque du Soliel, Disney on Ice shows, sport events etc. Surely touring events clash with band tours quite frequently? There could be enough entertainment to fill 2 big arenas in Manchester. Events that usually stay in London or skip Manchester due to scheduling clashes could come here if capacity was made available.

I see your point AncoatsLass. Question is are there that many surplus events currently that two can be sustained all year round, from a business/financial perspective.

Unfortunately the Manchester Arena is looking tired these days. The old fashioned backlit advertising boards look a mess - especially when compared to these wrap around LED displays most arenas have these days.
If you’re serious about attracting events such as ATP Tennis tours, World Championship Ice Skating comps etc then you need to seriously invest.

I’d love to see a new arena, whilst keeping a refurbed Manchester Arena. Rather than competing with each other for everything, work with one another to ensure each other’s success.

AncoatsLass, Slow Burn, VDB liked this post
JBGee está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2019, 11:55 PM   #3445
AncoatsLass

Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBGee View Post
I see your point AncoatsLass. Question is are there that many surplus events currently that two can be sustained all year round, from a business/financial perspective.

Unfortunately the Manchester Arena is looking tired these days. The old fashioned backlit advertising boards look a mess - especially when compared to these wrap around LED displays most arenas have these days.
If you’re serious about attracting events such as ATP Tennis tours, World Championship Ice Skating comps etc then you need to seriously invest.

I’d love to see a new arena, whilst keeping a refurbed Manchester Arena. Rather than competing with each other for everything, work with one another to ensure each other’s success.

Genuine question - do concert/event goers actually care what the MEN arena venue looks like? It’s not the most gorgeous building in the world but it’s never put me off going to watch a show. If your fave band was playing at the MEN and not at an alternative flashy arena - you’d still go!

It’s usually dark when audiences pitch up for shows, there’s huge crowds of people to navigate through and all they’re interested in is seeing their favourite stars/being entertained. Back in the days when I was a frequent gig-goer, all I cared about was ‘can I see the band on the stage’ and the sound quality. The state of the venue was of zero interest (and I went to some right dives!). I don’t think that people care about having a shiny new arena purely for the aesthetics of it - all they’re interested in is the act they want to see.
AncoatsLass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2019, 12:04 AM   #3446
PotreroHill

Likes (Received): 2277

As mentioned before, more and more acts are touring 'more and more' but so are other events. Manchester is always busy with events (there are times when only London and Manchester are the only two venues used for the really big tours). The arena at the Etihad (if it does go ahead) will probably hold stuff like (rumoured) NBA events and the ATP tours. It will of course be linked to MCFC and will tie in with the rest of the brand...sponsored big time I'd imagine so less worry over making the money back in ticket sales.

The current Arena owners are (rightly bearing in mind they're running a business) presenting the case against...but it's not even a carbuncle of a building...it's a shapeless concrete globule. I'd really hope it stays and gets a proper makeover.
PotreroHill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2019, 12:24 AM   #3447
PotreroHill

Likes (Received): 2277

...and as mentioned elsewhere, this report seems to have mysteriously appeared out of nowhere (in other words very likely it was commissioned by the current Arena owners).
Good luck to them but I can't see this being stopped if rubber stamped already.
PotreroHill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2019, 12:24 AM   #3448
JBGee

Likes (Received): 2184

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncoatsLass View Post
Genuine question - do concert/event goers actually care what the MEN arena venue looks like? It’s not the most gorgeous building in the world but it’s never put me off going to watch a show. If your fave band was playing at the MEN and not at an alternative flashy arena - you’d still go!

It’s usually dark when audiences pitch up for shows, there’s huge crowds of people to navigate through and all they’re interested in is seeing their favourite stars/being entertained. Back in the days when I was a frequent gig-goer, all I cared about was ‘can I see the band on the stage’ and the sound quality. The state of the venue was of zero interest (and I went to some right dives!). I don’t think that people care about having a shiny new arena purely for the aesthetics of it - all they’re interested in is the act they want to see.

For a gig no, probably atmosphere and acoustics. The latter of which is piss poor in the MEN unfortunately too.

For the big high profile sporting events, then I’d say definitely yes. For those most of the lights are on and all is visible. Sponsors will want maximum exposure/advertising too, and the very best in hospitality too.

I hadn’t realised Birmingham has two arenas. Brum Arena and Resorts World Arena, both around 15k capacity I think

Last edited by JBGee; June 26th, 2019 at 12:41 AM.
JBGee está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2019, 09:56 AM   #3449
wuulfy

Likes (Received): 785

And London actually has three. O2, Wembley and the Copper box.
With a fourth in the planning stage.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...na-east-london

PotreroHill liked this post
wuulfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2019, 03:36 PM   #3450
stormie

Likes (Received): 55

Does the copper box host many events though? Its capacity is less than 10k too, and hosts a BBL team full time. Wembley is around 12k. Also London is a totally different kettle of fish compared to Manchester as we dont have the scale of population or international name like London does. I fully believe it is either this new arena OR the current Manchester Arena, not Both. There isn't the market.

The Manchester Arena is looking tired and has done for a decade now sadly. Also the Manchester Evening News paper must hope it never closes, and they dropped their sponsorship ages ago and people still call it the MEN Arena. I genuinely can't think of a sponsorship deal that has worked better for the sponsoring company.

Re the mentions of the ATP - Problem with tennis is its a huge gamble. We'd need to take an established 500/1000 event from someone else or somehow win the bid for the ATP finals after 2025. If anyone can educate me why Turin got it I'm all ears.

If this proposed arena was smaller - ie 10k - it might take events like the occasional Giants or Storm game a couple of times a year. If it was downsized further to 5 or 6k it could even be feasiable for them to be a permanent tennant. No idea what Manchester Giants are doing for their longer term venue at the moment but believe they were looking at their options last time I checked. Manchester Storm deseperately need a new venue if they are going to have any longer term future though, but really won't ever get an average of more than 4000. They must get an average of 1500 tops in Alty.

marni1971 liked this post
stormie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2019, 08:22 PM   #3451
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 52728

The Manchester Indoor Arena might be a bit dated and tired looking now, but it’s still 1 of the best Indoor Arena’s in the World. Just ask Kiss.

Manchester, Twitter.

Amazing time tonight at @ManchesterArena
Thank you #KISSARMY #Manchester! #EndOfTheRoad World Tour

JBGee, mileymc1, AncoatsLass, TSK27M, marni1971 liked this post
jrb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2019, 02:40 PM   #3452
jrb
10th February 2008

MCC hit back.

Quote:
Campaign against Eastlands arena ‘misleading’

16 Jul 2019, 11:54

Jessica Middleton-Pugh

Manchester City Council has called a campaign against the Eastlands regeneration framework by Manchester Arena operator SMG “very misleading”, while facing resistance from a mass of city centre businesses including The Printworks, Arndale, Corn Exchange and Harvey Nichols.

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/new...na-misleading/
Old July 16th, 2019, 07:19 PM   #3453
marni1971

Likes (Received): 3476

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
The Manchester Indoor Arena might be a bit dated and tired looking now, but it’s still 1 of the best Indoor Arena’s in the World. Just ask Kiss.

Manchester, Twitter.

Amazing time tonight at @ManchesterArena
Thank you #KISSARMY #Manchester! #EndOfTheRoad World Tour

I was there. Capacity crowd and the Arena didn’t creak once. Efficient security check with an abundance of x ray arches and staff. Helpful and plenty of ticket checkers. Lots of merch and beverage outlets. And such an efficient exit, again with plenty of helpful and cheerful staff both inside and out (and plenty of Metrolink assistance from platform staff)

It needs a lick of paint here and there (and is testing a new complimentary WiFi system) but there’s no reason why it shouldn’t have to give up - or share - the mantle of easily coping with 20,000 people.

jrb, JBGee, ChorleyFM_, PotreroHill liked this post
marni1971 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2019, 10:34 PM   #3454
BiggerisBetter

Likes (Received): 328

The two Birmingham Arenas are operated by the NEC Group as are the ICC and NEC (rather obviously).

I think that a second arena would work best if operated by the same organisation so that if there are events on that clash they are directed to the location that is most appropriate rather than them competing over the most lucrative - for example Disney on Ice clashing with a late night boxing match for the US audience. I would imagine that the boxing would be most lucrative but would be more suitable in the city centre.

Ultimately any planning policy allocation or application for an arena at Eastlands would need to demonstrate that there would be no significant adverse impact upon existing investment in the City Centre - the existing Arena most principally although I would say that many of the restaurants in the Corn Exchange rely on arena customers for a fair proportion of their custom too so not guaranteed that this could successfully be demonstrated. Although the City Council will take the initial planning decision, there is the potential that the application could be 'Called In' for determination by the Secretary of State as I would imagine there would be a fair few objections from City Centre interests. Call-In prospects would be even greater if other cities lobbied for this due to potential impacts on their arenas.

I think that overall a second arena would be of benefit providing that it is operated by the same organisation as the existing arena. This would allow:

- The closure of the existing arena for redevelopment or refurbishment when or if required without too much negative impact
- Holding of multiple events at the same time
- Utilisation of the existing city centre arena as part of the city's conferencing facilities in co-ordination with Manchester Central whilst retaining the ability to host other events and concerts

This seems to work well in Birmingham and cynically the prospect of a new arena at Eastlands could be used by the Council to lower the market price of the existing arena to take the operation of it (and Bridgewater Hall - also ran by SMG?) over to operate all, along with a new arena in co-ordination, all funded by some equity from ADG and prudential Council borrowing.

Would be a good result for Manchester in my view.

PaulinOz liked this post
BiggerisBetter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2019, 08:22 PM   #3455
dd79

Likes (Received): 682

Interesting article in this week’s Sunday Times business section, (only got round to reading it today) from the guy who owns the arena and pretty strong language is used, effectively saying that Manchester is owned and controlled by ADUG, the consultation periods haven’t been adhered to in relation to the updated SRF and that this was due to dodgy backhand deals between the council (sir Howard Bernstein is referenced in the report) and ADUG. Will be interesting to see how this develops.
dd79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2019, 09:12 PM   #3456
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd79 View Post
Interesting article in this week’s Sunday Times business section, (only got round to reading it today) from the guy who owns the arena and pretty strong language is used, effectively saying that Manchester is owned and controlled by ADUG, the consultation periods haven’t been adhered to in relation to the updated SRF and that this was due to dodgy backhand deals between the council (sir Howard Bernstein is referenced in the report) and ADUG. Will be interesting to see how this develops.
Have you got a link dd79?

Like to have a read of that.

Thanks.
Old July 17th, 2019, 09:39 PM   #3457
dd79

Likes (Received): 682

Sorry JRB, I’m old school and like to have an actual physical paper...
dd79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2019, 10:30 PM   #3458
purple_cat

Likes (Received): 6944

The digital edition is subscription only so can't find out, sorry!
purple_cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2019, 10:32 PM   #3459
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd79 View Post
Sorry JRB, I’m old school and like to have an actual physical paper...
No probs.

What was the article headline and the date of the article?

I might be able to find it online?

Thanks.
Old July 18th, 2019, 12:14 AM   #3460
jrb
10th February 2008

Found it.

Behind a pay wall.

If any has access to the full article, I’d be very grateful if you would post it.

Sorry, not paying 8x£1 for 1 article.

Quote:
Property mogul Nick Leslau kicks out over plan for rival to Manchester Arena

New scheme for second city concert venue backed by Abu Dhabi’s royal family sparks accusations of foul play

As a young property investor from London in 1985, Nick Leslau struck gold in the form of a Manchester tower block. He snapped up the 30-storey Piccadilly Plaza for £4m from a seller that was so eager to offload the plaza, it even lent Leslau the money to do the deal.

A city still struggling with post-industrial decline made an unlikely hunting ground for an ambitious former public school boy, but Leslau fondly recalls spending half his weeks living in the building, grafting to sign up tenants.

It paid off five years later when he sold the Piccadilly Plaza for £20m shortly before the early 1990s recession. The profit became the foundation of a property empire that includes the freeholds to Alton Towers, Thorpe Park…

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...rena-0lqnkqflq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement