LIVERPOOL - Anfield Stadium (54,074 - 61,000) - Page 689 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Proposed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2020, 02:15 AM   #13761
Mo Salah

Likes (Received): 21

All the chat about having so many more tourists in the ground if we expand is misguided imo. With the way tickets are sold via the membership scheme, there's no reason to 'fear' an influx of tourists. Ticket allocation is random. The tourists don't make it harder for me to purchase tickets, its the lack of capacity. You could theoretically ban every so-called tourist from Anfield and still sell out every game.

If Anfield ended up with 70k capacity, I'd assume the additional 16k fans we'd get would be in the same ratio as we have now. A mixture of locals, out of towners, and overseas fans. New season tickets would/should take up a good amount too.

Expanding Anfield only increases the atmosphere and how special it feels. It doesn't dilute it at all.

Old January 9th, 2020, 07:18 AM   #13762
Wooly

Likes (Received): 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
There's a 2030 World Cup thread here, so it's probably best we don't fill this thread up with politicking, which as far as I can see is all this amounts to at the moment.

But does Steve Rotherham know Anfield is currently 25,000 short of the minimum capacity for hosting a World Cup final, and even with the planned expansion, 19,000 short?
I'd have thought he's very aware of it. It might be part of the plan.

A northern World cup could be fantastic, if not just for the infrastructure between the cities that would be put in place. Be surprised if Westminister will ever properly back it though. Lipservice only.

Rugster liked this post
Wooly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2020, 09:12 AM   #13763
Macred

Likes (Received): 1648

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnwardsAndUpwards View Post
This summer, that would be ambitious.

Would they be able to start some works on the car park behind the current ARE during next season to get a head start on full scale work the following summer? Another thing to consider is the disruption to the season that will be caused by the 2022 World Cup, which will be played 21 Nov - 18 December.

Has there been any indication of build time?
2nd consultation is what 6th Feb? Planning Application late March, 10/12 weeks for approval all being well, they can start July 2020.

They will build through the season as they did with the Main, as you say starting on the car park/fan zone area. As said previous, less of an issue than the main as no real demo work (houses) and a large, convenient staging area i.e. the park. They will keep Annie Road open as long as possible and remove roof/old top tier next summer - opening for Aug 2021.

It will be less build time than the Main as it is a smaller project. Stand is only 75% of the size of the main (e.g the truss will be that much smaller in length/weight), not as many complex areas to design in e.g. vehicle access, changing/medical rooms, media, boxes, kitchens etc, easier access/management of site, they will have learnt lessons no doubt from first project to improve efficiency etc. Not seen anything official about timescale, just guessing....

LASER11, OnwardsAndUpwards liked this post
Macred no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2020, 11:57 AM   #13764
Macred

https://www.building.co.uk/news/live...103576.article

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...m-set-17507311
Old January 9th, 2020, 02:54 PM   #13765
gambit06

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooly View Post
I'd have thought he's very aware of it. It might be part of the plan.

A northern World cup could be fantastic, if not just for the infrastructure between the cities that would be put in place. Be surprised if Westminister will ever properly back it though. Lipservice only.
Any world cup final held in England is not getting held anywhere other that Wembley.
gambit06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2020, 08:19 PM   #13766
gazzaa2

Likes (Received): 1245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Salah View Post
All the chat about having so many more tourists in the ground if we expand is misguided imo. With the way tickets are sold via the membership scheme, there's no reason to 'fear' an influx of tourists. Ticket allocation is random. The tourists don't make it harder for me to purchase tickets, its the lack of capacity. You could theoretically ban every so-called tourist from Anfield and still sell out every game.

If Anfield ended up with 70k capacity, I'd assume the additional 16k fans we'd get would be in the same ratio as we have now. A mixture of locals, out of towners, and overseas fans. New season tickets would/should take up a good amount too.

Expanding Anfield only increases the atmosphere and how special it feels. It doesn't dilute it at all.
The new stand has helped the atmosphere a lot. obviously it coinciding with Klopp a big factor but the old Main Stand would rarely sing at all and with the new influx of season ticket holders it's injected life into the stand.

It was starting to become a very old crowd. The new Anfield Road End will hopefully have the same effect.
Old January 10th, 2020, 01:00 AM   #13767
Mo Salah

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzaa2 View Post
The new stand has helped the atmosphere a lot. obviously it coinciding with Klopp a big factor but the old Main Stand would rarely sing at all and with the new influx of season ticket holders it's injected life into the stand.

It was starting to become a very old crowd. The new Anfield Road End will hopefully have the same effect.
I can only manage 5-6 games per season if im lucky in the sales, but I've sat all over Anfield. The Upper Main has indeed really gotten louder the past few years. They were starting songs in there against Watford. That section is mainly members.

Lower Main is really quiet, even near the Kop. I was on my feet and singing but the older folks would clap and return to their chit chat. Upper Kenny was super quiet for me too.

Upper Anfield Rd was surprisingly good on many occasions. Its a good height and view of the game. There's a lot of adult/child tickets there but the younger ones actually try to sing, so its louder than the Lower Main and Kenny. I think it'll be a good time there once the redevelopment has been done. No corporate tier, and new GA seats will mean a lot of noise. As long as the new roof isn't too sloped, it'll be a good view too.

The roof of the Main Stand was built to keep the noise in, but the trade off is the restricted view when sat near the top. Im not a fan of that aspect at all. Great legroom but I don't like not seeing the other stands. You feel a bit cut off from everyone else.

Macred, Rugster liked this post
Mo Salah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2020, 09:17 AM   #13768
Macred

"can you hear the Kemlyn sing noooo, noooo" heh heh.... it has always been thus, I remember when they clapped!!
Old January 10th, 2020, 01:44 PM   #13769
OnwardsAndUpwards

Likes (Received): 1170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macred View Post
"can you hear the Kemlyn sing noooo, noooo" heh heh.... it has always been thus, I remember when they clapped!!
Was that when it was that diddy stand with the cool floodlights above?

Back then the Kop would have been half the total capacity. Something like that. You'd think that a larger ARE would be quite loud as a lot of people who get seats there would rather be in the Kop (in spirit at least).

I don't think you can rule out a higher percentage of seats going to tourists though. I think you have to be a member or season ticket holder to get into Old Trafford, at least for league matches. It is something difficult to manage.
OnwardsAndUpwards no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2020, 02:44 PM   #13770
Macred

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnwardsAndUpwards View Post
Was that when it was that diddy stand with the cool floodlights above?

Back then the Kop would have been half the total capacity. Something like that. You'd think that a larger ARE would be quite loud as a lot of people who get seats there would rather be in the Kop (in spirit at least).

I don't think you can rule out a higher percentage of seats going to tourists though. I think you have to be a member or season ticket holder to get into Old Trafford, at least for league matches. It is something difficult to manage.
Indeed it was and the ARE would have made Joseph proud!!

Don't mind tourists personally, most want to get involved from what i have seen and super enthusiastic. Was reading a comment on You Tube on some Redmen TV video and whether it is true or not, the chap said, "Been a Liverpool fan in Australia since the 60s, before I die I want to go to Anfield"... and people tell me he would not have a good time if he did make it there or does not deserve a chance to go. Just as in life everything just has to be balanced but you will never get it right for everyone.

OnwardsAndUpwards, LASER11 liked this post
Old January 13th, 2020, 02:16 PM   #13771
Tugger1

Likes (Received): 44

I drove past Anfield yesterday, they are now taking down the remaining 4/5 buildings opposite the Albert, not exactly breaking news but its nice to see something happening and when they are fully down will we then see some movement on the new shops etc that are meant to go there?

Macred liked this post
Tugger1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2020, 03:09 PM   #13772
kopite321

Likes (Received): 64

Think Home Bake are going to expand into this area..
kopite321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 06:42 AM   #13773
Macred

Liverpool's matchday revenue for season 18/19 = £83.3m (latest figure from Deloitte) not bad. Add in concerts etc (concerts started summer 2019) and further expansion that should comfortably top £100m.

Tugger1 liked this post
Old January 14th, 2020, 06:43 AM   #13774
Macred

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopite321 View Post
They are renting the new buildings when built?
Old January 14th, 2020, 10:21 AM   #13775
GerLfcFan
GermanLfcFan

Likes (Received): 603

Current view of the development:

(02.01.2020)
Old January 14th, 2020, 04:41 PM   #13776
Zanderdad

Likes (Received): 1494

Quote:
Not if we're talking about the buildings I think we are talking about. Homebaked have plans for the houses of which they are a block. If you have your back to the Kop, it's the buildings to Homebaked's left as the Walton Breck Road curves around, opposite the petrol station.

I presume the buildings being demolished are the shops opposite The Albert and the club store.

Macred liked this post

Last edited by Zanderdad; January 14th, 2020 at 04:49 PM.
Zanderdad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 11:59 PM   #13777
Wooly

Quote:
Homebaked’s development is up the other end of the Kop. Unless this is something new?

Anyone know is the old Park pub going?

Last edited by Wooly; January 15th, 2020 at 03:31 AM.
Old January 15th, 2020, 12:19 PM   #13778
Macred

For them that don't know...

Homebaked circles in yellow. IN red the terraces that they own and have submitted plans for.

At this stage who knows what is happening as things have not progressed as planned we can only assume that changes have occurred to those plans. The original plans meant the Park Pub remained along with the church. The pub is an eyesore and the church had previously agreed to a move.... so we will see what happens to them.

The picture indicates it seems zero progress with the hotel - which I think for the £10m they say it will cost, Liverpool should build and then operate it with a hotel partner. Rather than the farce of a company that is supposed to develop and run it. Peeps can do their own research into that.

The buildings opposite the Albert now being taken down... they were due to be down by March 2019 I post the demolition order on here over a year ago.... so why the delay?

From the aerial photo it does look like the Phase 5, final phase, houses are almost if not complete. So to that extent we now know how hemmed in by housing Anfield is now.

endrity, ReNaHtEiM liked this post
Old January 15th, 2020, 01:02 PM   #13779
Wooly

Cheers Macred.

Have they built houses all down the right side of Venmore street as you walk away from the Kop?

On Google Street view there seems to be enough land to almost double the width of the street there, and create an avenue that could be used for crowd dispersal.

On the photo above though it looks like they might have built new houses there, with a row of cars parked outside.
Old January 15th, 2020, 02:46 PM   #13780
Liverbirdie

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooly View Post
Cheers Macred.

Have they built houses all down the right side of Venmore street as you walk away from the Kop?

On Google Street view there seems to be enough land to almost double the width of the street there, and create an avenue that could be used for crowd dispersal.

On the photo above though it looks like they might have built new houses there, with a row of cars parked outside.
I walk down Venmore street every home game, and houses are creeping down it, but hard to tell where they will end (unless someone has official plans) from the council, developers, club that have been published.

There is a school facing some of the houses that is quite new and they are also constructing what looks like flats over the road from the houses which go down to within approx 20-30 yards of the park pub, after that it is landscaped.

All of the current houses on Venmore street look occupied, but whether they are building them only once sold, so hard to tell if another 4-6 houses may carry on down Venmore towards the Kop, especially after they demolish the old shops (one of which was the old HSG/HJC shop). I think it will become clearer over the coming months, if they leave a gap, it may be telling, if they build up to and over the current (soon to be demolished) shops, it looks like they may not leave space to extend the Kop greatly.

Going on the width of the street with the school and current flat build, I doubt they are going to broaden that street much. It also gets shut off before and after the match with stewards at both ends.

endrity liked this post
Liverbirdie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
liverpool, stadiums