DUBLIN | Nassau Street/Dawson Street Development | Planning - Page 9 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 18th, 2019, 01:22 PM   #161
Ingazlego

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakka12 View Post
Setanta centre looks really crap too. I guess you wouldnt experience that mountain of awful setbacks at street level so maybe it wont be as bad in person
The problem is you will see the mountain of setbacks from within the Trinity campus around the cricket and rugby pitches. A very busy area with students and tourists alike.

As for the Kildare Street proposal. Reject. Reject. Reject.

Ruddiger, Khuitlio, saoró... liked this post
Ingazlego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2019, 12:41 AM   #162
saoró...
níféidirliomdulacholadh

Likes (Received): 698

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
Yeah it looks crap. The sooner this hotel bubble bursts the better, the same hotel getting proposed all over the place.
Its the same fúcking building getting built all over Dublin. This double-height metal framed glass bollox. Zero imagination.
Old December 20th, 2019, 12:38 AM   #163
Wilderbeast

Likes (Received): 5458

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
Yeah it looks crap. The sooner this hotel bubble bursts the better, the same hotel getting proposed all over the place.
Be careful what you wish for!

If the "hotel bubble" bursts it will be because a lot of other bubbles have burst first.

Jimble liked this post
Wilderbeast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2019, 04:04 PM   #164
Sukino

Likes (Received): 3847

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoró... View Post
Its the same fúcking building getting built all over Dublin. This double-height metal framed glass bollox. Zero imagination.
And this architectural style came from the UK so it's not even unique to Ireland.
Old December 22nd, 2019, 12:34 AM   #165
opatta17

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Was telling the same for last 2 or 3 years and got bashed on this forum many times as grumble.
(https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showp...1&postcount=23)

Mr. Beans, Dublin84 liked this post

Last edited by opatta17; December 22nd, 2019 at 12:43 AM.
opatta17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2019, 01:28 AM   #166
Dublin84

Likes (Received): 1510

I’m in Melbourne at the moment, so. Many cool buildings , everywhere, many aren’t even high rise. Dublin is a jaw dropper in terms of how bad a lot of the architecture is and how farcical and out of scale the docklands is. I don I’ve seen a bloody set back here either !!!

Wilderbeast, opatta17, Elhorseboxo liked this post
Dublin84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2019, 03:30 AM   #167
Elhorseboxo

Likes (Received): 1185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin84 View Post
I’m in Melbourne at the moment, so. Many cool buildings , everywhere, many aren’t even high rise. Dublin is a jaw dropper in terms of how bad a lot of the architecture is and how farcical and out of scale the docklands is. I don I’ve seen a bloody set back here either !!!
One of my favourite cities Have a wonder down to their own docklands to see what we could have had in Dublin. Much like Dublin its still a work in progress but its got similar geography to Grand Canal Dock yet far better designed with a fully pedestrianised waterfront lined with bars and restaurants, a nice skyline and much better public realm
Elhorseboxo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2020, 06:37 PM   #168
EI321

Likes (Received): 101

It really does look like a block from the docklands has been dropped in the middle of Nassau St.

Some use of brick or a warmer stone like that on the Barclays building on Molesworth St, along with more vertical emphasis for the facade would have been much more suitable.

Ruddiger, saoró..., daveydonnelly liked this post
EI321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2020, 01:33 AM   #169
opatta17

Quote:
I’m in Melbourne at the moment, so. Many cool buildings , everywhere, many aren’t even high rise
Quote:
One of my favourite cities
I never been to Melbourne but from what I see on internet, outside of skyscraper district it seems to be very low and having a lot of green open space. It is hard to believe wikipedia records saying it has 10 times lower density than Dublin (500 compare to 4.800 inhabitants per square kilometer) but it is possible...
Old January 10th, 2020, 11:07 PM   #170
gjim

Likes (Received): 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by opatta17 View Post
I never been to Melbourne but from what I see on internet, outside of skyscraper district it seems to be very low and having a lot of green open space. It is hard to believe wikipedia records saying it has 10 times lower density than Dublin (500 compare to 4.800 inhabitants per square kilometer) but it is possible...
City density numbers are notoriously difficult to compare because there is no standard way of defining the actual area of a city. For example the Melbourne metropolitan area is apparently nearly 10,000 square km so I'm not surprised the density calculated over such an area is low.

There are as many definitions of what comprises a "metropolitan area" as there are statistics bodies. Some stats bodies use the Greater Dublin Area (i.e. including Kildare, Meath and Wicklow) while others use the areas governed by the city councils.

Clearly the choice you make in this regard will have a huge effect on your "density" calculation. As an extreme example using Dublin, if you use the GDA you have about 7,000 km2 containing about 2m inhabitants (about 300/km2) while if you use the more traditional Dublin city definition you have about 600k living in 115km2 (5000 per km2).

Wilderbeast liked this post
gjim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2020, 12:29 AM   #171
opatta17

I say what I see, outside of central skyscraper district Melbourne seems to be covered with low 2 and 1.5 floor high houses and bungalows:

This city goes from very low density straight to very high without any form of transition:

Complete opposite compare to European cities like Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam, Brussels of Copenhagen. I would rather see European type of urbanism in Dublin but we probably are cardcoded to the one like Melbourne...

Lad liked this post
Old January 11th, 2020, 12:31 AM   #172
odlum833

Likes (Received): 6062

Can we please keep on topic?

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596

Wilderbeast, Alto14 liked this post
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2020, 12:41 PM   #173
Vyking

Likes (Received): 917

Quote:
Originally Posted by opatta17 View Post
You're comparing an area of 115 sq km (Dublin City Council) to an area 10,000 sq km (Greater Melbourne). That's an area half the size of Leinster.

The 'City of Melbourne' (37 sq km) is a better comparison.

Quilliam liked this post
Vyking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 01:52 PM   #174
YIMBYDublin

Likes (Received): 345

That disaster of an office block on Kildare Street has been rejected. Undoubtedly this will go to ABP who will provide their usual rubber stamp though, sadly.

https://www.thejournal.ie/council-re...urce=shortlink
YIMBYDublin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 02:36 PM   #175
Ruddiger

Likes (Received): 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBYDublin View Post
That disaster of an office block on Kildare Street has been rejected. Undoubtedly this will go to ABP who will provide their usual rubber stamp though, sadly.

https://www.thejournal.ie/council-re...urce=shortlink
Thats good, hopefully ABP are better than to allow that. Its for offices, so hopefully they are not as activated as they have been on getting residential into the market lately
Ruddiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 03:45 PM   #176
odlum833

Likes (Received): 6062

To play devils advocate there has been more emotion than reality in relation to this in my honest opinion.

The current building only looks historic but is not of any actual historical significance.

The proper renders show that this has been a complete over reaction by the usual suspects.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596

Wilderbeast liked this post

Last edited by belfastuniguy; January 14th, 2020 at 05:02 PM.
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 04:36 PM   #177
YIMBYDublin

Likes (Received): 345

Nope, there's no over-reaction here. Stop looking at a screen and go for an actual stroll along Kildare Street - see what it is replacing, see the entire context of the existing streetscape and not just a tiny sliver that the developer has chosen to render.

Note that I'm totally fine with similar looking developments happening on Nassau Street.

LaighinFitz liked this post
YIMBYDublin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 04:39 PM   #178
saoró...
níféidirliomdulacholadh

Likes (Received): 698

You are taking the piss, right? There is an intact georgian streetscape on this corner, genuine or not. It should be protected to preserve the character of the city, which is in short supply in many areas.

You are too keen on shiny and new. These glass/metals frames may age like milk, our georgian streetscape is timeless. We would be fools not to protect every inch of it.
Old January 14th, 2020, 04:45 PM   #179
wakka12

Likes (Received): 4451

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
To play devils advocate there has been more emotion than reality in relation to this in my honest opinion.

The current building only looks historic but is not of any actual historical significance.

The proper renders show that this has been a complete over reaction by the usual suspects.

How can you say they have no merit? Do you know anything about them? I cant say I do but if they had no merit I don't think people like the Dublin Civic Trust would have reacted so negatively to it. The building viewed in isolation is absolutely fine yes but it is a completely unnecessary intrusion on one of the few very well preserved georgian areas left of the city centre. Basically thanks but no thanks, anywhere but here please

DylanG, Wilderbeast liked this post

Last edited by belfastuniguy; January 14th, 2020 at 05:02 PM.
wakka12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 07:00 PM   #180
roycon

Likes (Received): 688

There are two almost fully intact 250 year old Georgian Houses being knocked on Kildare Street as part of this.

Even if they weren't getting knocked though this looks like something you'd see at the end of a game of tetris

Quilliam, YIMBYDublin liked this post
roycon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: