The roadside rest area - Page 2227 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 11th, 2020, 04:58 PM   #44521
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 1059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
“...And conquer we must
When our cause it is just
And this be our motto:
‘In God is our trust.’” :-D

I’ve never liked it much. I’d prefer “O Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean.”

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2020, 10:16 PM   #44522
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 2296

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
In Finland, the person can show his or her qualification by having a 95 code marking in the driving licence or by having a separate card. The qualification, of course, is needed only in when the transport is commercial and needing a C, D or E licence. If the 95 code expires, the driving license still is valid for passenger cars, and for CDE in a private use.
Exactly, this is how it should work. Nobody should care about my qualification card once I drive my passenger car I need the B license for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
In Poland, the "entry qualification" is, basically, required if you work as a driver. It's perfectly OK to have C or D driving license if you don't have the qualification certificate – but you can only use the car to carry your own things privately, or to carry things or materials used by you in your work.
Yes, it works the same way here too. If I had a farm and needed a lorry to transport material between my provisions, I could do it without any qualification. The same goes for the transport of my employees by bus. It is required only for commercial services. There is also an exception for public buses operated within the 50 km radius of the transport operator HQ.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2020, 01:09 AM   #44523
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 11253

In Poland public buses require the entry qualification. However, there are some special regulations for the public transport lines shorter than 50 km, for example, an under-23 driver cannot drive buses on longer routes. It also isn't necessary to use tachographs in buses servicing so short routes.
Old January 12th, 2020, 09:37 AM   #44524
MichiH

Likes (Received): 3260

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Thanks. It's quick after clicking quote but the shit is loaded when I press "submit" or "preview" now. It loads the formatted shit faster though.
However, I was not able to quote and submit the reply directly. I now clicked preview - waiting - and then submit to be able to post anything
I just had to restart the browser and it works fine for a week now. Thanks!

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AL, AND, B, BG, BIH, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, GR, H, HR, I, IRL, L, LV, LT, M, MC, MNE, N, NL, NMK, P, PL, RO, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, USA, V (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 01:05 AM   #44525
Kpc21

Poland has introduced green license plates for the EVs.

From a local Skoda ad:

Meanwhile, the market of small city petrol cars is shrinking. Until now, probably the most popular choice in Poland in this segment was Skoda Citigo. Which is no longer offered, except for the electric version. Which will be definitely more expensive even with the planned governmental subsidy.

Renault Twingo is no longer offered, Opel still has Karl in some European countries but they are phasing it out. Peugeot 108 is not available at all in Poland. Seat used to offer the Mii model, twin to Skoda Citigo and VW Up, but it's not available any more as well. Of the three, only Up (the most expensive one, if I am not mistaken) remained.

Meanwile, it seems that in Germany, even though they already mark their EVs with special license plates (not green ones but, less showily, with an E at the end of the number), you need an Umweltplakette also for those:

Is is still so? Because the video is from 2 years ago.

Talking about the city cars still available in petrol versions, we have: VW Up, Hyundai i10, Kia Picanto, Fiat 500, Fiat Panda, Toyota Aygo together with the twin Citroen C1, Suzuki Celerio and (at the edge between the A and B market segments) the Mitsubishi Space Star. Still quite some – but indeed, the market is shrinking.

Meanwhile, on my route to work I regularly happen to meet one Tesla overtaking me. Today (well, yesterday) I even managed to follow it on quite a long section

Penn's Woods liked this post
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 10:12 AM   #44526
ChrisZwolle
multi-modal traveler

Likes (Received): 27778

Safety regulations have pushed the price of city cars (A-segment) so far up that they are almost as expensive as subcompacts (B-segment).

For example in the Netherlands the Volkswagen Up! starts at € 15,815. This is only € 2,500 below a Volkswagen Polo. The same is true for Hyundai i10 vs i20.

It wasn't too long ago that you could buy a new A-segment car for around € 10,000, so they have seen a 50% price increase. Some think the whole A-segment will disappear.

travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 12:26 PM   #44527
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 3734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Meanwile, it seems that in Germany, even though they already mark their EVs with special license plates (not green ones but, less showily, with an E at the end of the number), you need an Umweltplakette also for those:

Is is still so? Because the video is from 2 years ago.
It seems to me there were to introduce the blue sticker for electric vehicles.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 04:46 PM   #44528
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 1059

Wait, wasn’t the EU insisting a decade or so ago that plates whose background color was anything other than white or yellow wouldn’t work, because plate-recognition technology couldn’t read them?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 08:22 PM   #44529
ChrisZwolle
multi-modal traveler

No winter 2020

Winter so far in the Netherlands hasn't really been a winter. We hardly have had any frost and no snow at all. The endless western circulation means oceanic weather patterns persist. No weather maps have even hinted at a distant winter outbreak so far. Many weather enthusiasts are depressed, judging from some weather forums I follow from time to time.

Snow cover is only present in the higher mountains. Even the German Mittelgebirge seem to have no snow.

Attus, Penn's Woods, Autobahn-mann liked this post
Old January 14th, 2020, 10:23 PM   #44530
Kpc21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Safety regulations have pushed the price of city cars (A-segment) so far up that they are almost as expensive as subcompacts (B-segment).

For example in the Netherlands the Volkswagen Up! starts at € 15,815. This is only € 2,500 below a Volkswagen Polo. The same is true for Hyundai i10 vs i20.

It wasn't too long ago that you could buy a new A-segment car for around € 10,000, so they have seen a 50% price increase. Some think the whole A-segment will disappear.
And with A segment cars, it's practically impossible to negotiate the price. With B segment – you can haggle the price down quite a lot.

20 years ago, the A segment cars, due to their low price, wer the most commonly bought new cars in Poland and they were often even used as family cars. Until now it has changed quite a lot.

Now the top list looks like that:

Quote:
1. Skoda Octavia – 20 375 szt.
2. Toyota Corolla – 19 699 szt.
3. Skoda Fabia – 17 096 szt.
4. Dacia Duster – 15 342 szt.
5. Toyota Yaris – 14 069 szt.
6. Opel Astra – 13 813 szt.
7. Volkswagen Golf – 12 808 szt.
8. Fiat Tipo – 9 384 szt.
9. Renault Clio – 8 675 szt.
10. Volkswagen Tiguan – 8 395 szt.
No A segment cars at all in the first ten – and the first B segment car (Fabia) is third.

From 2000 to 2012, the leading cars were:

Quote:
– rok 2012: Skoda Octavia (15 535 sztuk)
– rok 2011: Skoda Octavia (16 011 sztuk)
– rok 2010: Skoda Octavia (17 503 sztuk)
– rok 2009: Skoda Octavia (16 238 sztuk)
– rok 2008: Opel Astra (14 874 sztuk)
– rok 2007: Skoda Fabia (15 257 sztuk)
– rok 2006: Opel Astra (14 284 sztuk)
– rok 2005: Skoda Fabia (16 789 sztuk)
– rok 2004: Fiat Panda (28 000 sztuk)
– rok 2003: Skoda Fabia (31 418 sztuk)
– rok 2002: Skoda Fabia (26 240 sztuk)
– rok 2001: Fiat Seicento (36 390 sztuk)
– rok 2000: Fiat Seicento (52 914 sztuk)
The leading position of Skoda Octavia lasting for so many years is certainly interesting.

Although... actually, 9 years ago it wasn't very different from now:

Quote:
1. Skoda Octavia
2. Skoda Fabia
3. Volkswagen Golf
4. Toyota Yaris
5. Fiat Punto
6. Kia Cee’d
7. Fiat Panda
8. Ford Focus
9. Toyota Avensis
10. Renault Clio
It seems that the biggest changes on the Polish market were during the first decade of this century, especially at its beginning. But then it still included an A segment car – Fiat Panda. Maybe the issue is that this model practically hasn't been updated since then, in 2011 they issued the third generation – but it wasn't changed a lot compared with the previous one, especially mechanically. And they moved then the production from Poland to Italy, so it isn't as cheap here any more. Nobody buys an obsolete, expensive car. Although... Fiat 500, which is even smaller (I think I could call it "segment A-" or something like that), is even more expensive.

Quote:
Winter so far in the Netherlands hasn't really been a winter. We hardly have had any frost and no snow at all.
Same in Poland. I recently happened to be in the mountains in the southern Poland – though in a lower part of them (in the east, the Low Beskid) – and even there, there was some snow, but very little of it, especially for a mountain region. Then I drove through Slovakia to the neighborhood of Poprad – and at a short section the road was even covered with snow (the snow wasn't removed from the road) – in general, the snow was there – but again, it wasn't much for the mountains.

The central Poland hasn't seen snow since the previous winter.

Quote:
Wait, wasn’t the EU insisting a decade or so ago that plates whose background color was anything other than white or yellow wouldn’t work, because plate-recognition technology couldn’t read them?
Where lies the problem? What's the difference between yellow and light blue background?
Old January 14th, 2020, 11:35 PM   #44531
MattiG
The Road and Map Geek

Likes (Received): 1085

Quote:
The EU does not regulate the license plates, except the distinguishing sign part of them.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2020, 04:56 AM   #44532
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 974

There are a few problems with small size cars
1 - cars are generally lasting longer and burning less fuel, the "larger" class car starts to become more interesting (e.g. as used...)
2 - car of any type still needs 4 wheels, seats, windshield, lamps etc. It is really hard to make a car very inexpensive. Whereas a fancy luxury car is easy... a car that costs 50 000 EUR, the seats aren't 5 times more costly than a car for 10 000 EUR, the wheels are maybe twice as much not 5 times, etc etc. It kind of explains why in recent years, most profitable automaker (per unit) was Porsche, and Fiat has been losing money forever
Old January 15th, 2020, 10:39 AM   #44533
ChrisZwolle
multi-modal traveler

It's interesting to read comments on nu.nl, a news website in the Netherlands. It appears to be heavily censored with only political-correct statements coming through.

The media for years has promoted that there is a wide sense of 'flight shame' in society. Yet aviation is growing very rapidly, just today there was a report that flying has grown another 3% in 2019 and has now overtaken the car as the most popular way to travel abroad. Especially intercontinental flights have grown a lot. So this reality is completely different from the worldview that journalists promote. The same goes for vegan, meat consumption has actually increased but they promote the view that a ever increasing and proportion of people doesn't eat meat. These journalists must be in an enormous Twitter bubble.

But you read those approved comments, there are really a lot of people who think that train travel can readily substitute air travel in the next few years. As if they can build a Europe-wide system of high-speed rail in 5 years with ticket prices comparable to flying. I mean the lack of reality is just astounding...

cinxxx, joshsam, Penn's Woods, Kpc21, italystf liked this post
Old January 15th, 2020, 11:58 AM   #44534
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 7313

VRT in Belgium recently had to come back from things like that. They were promoting the Greens a lot, like constantly and it looked they were going to have a massive victory reading the comments and the reporting alike. Turns out the Greens lost big time....

Then they started focussing on shaming diesel drivers and glorifying petrol, like a lot to a point it became laughable. Our government is probably pushing that as well. Then now just last week and this week they noticed a lot of people weren't buying their bias and had to come back with a more moderate view.

And that's a state media outlet....
Old January 15th, 2020, 12:23 PM   #44535
ChrisZwolle
multi-modal traveler

This graph shows billions of passenger travel kilometers by aviation among Dutch people. There has been a very strong growth, over 50% since 2010.

Old January 15th, 2020, 12:32 PM   #44536
Attus

Likes (Received): 1796

It's the same almost everywhere in Europe. For the vast majority of people in Europe climate change is either not a problem at all, or a problem shall be solved by other people.

italystf, Kanadzie liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2020, 07:58 PM   #44537
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 2962

Quote:
Winter so far in the Netherlands hasn't really been a winter.
I guess the same can be said about most of Europe. Estonia hasn't had a permanent snow cover this year anywhere in the country. The average temperature for December 2019 was 2.6C or 4.6C over the long term average. January looks to be just as warm. Today it was 8C, for example

A recent study showed that the average duration of permanent snow cover in Estonia has decreased by up to a month since the 1950s. Quote from the study

Quote:
The end date of the permanent snow cover has shifted earlier by 10–30 days in 66 years and its duration has decreased accordingly. The maximum snow depth has been recorded on uplands of south-eastern Estonia with the median value 38 cm. There was a decreasing multiannual trend in snow depth from January to the end of March. Changes in snow depth were largest in the end of February and in March when the trend was statistically significant. In the average, snow depth has decreased by 0.5–1.5 cm per decade, i.e. by 2–9 cm throughout the whole study period.
It has been estimated that the average temperature in Estonia has increased by around 2C since the middle of the last century, a lot more than the global average. Most of the warming is due to warmer winters, rather than hotter summers.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2020, 11:43 PM   #44538
Sixhaven

Likes (Received): 663

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
VRT in Belgium recently had to come back from things like that. They were promoting the Greens a lot, like constantly and it looked they were going to have a massive victory reading the comments and the reporting alike. Turns out the Greens lost big time....

Then they started focussing on shaming diesel drivers and glorifying petrol, like a lot to a point it became laughable. Our government is probably pushing that as well. Then now just last week and this week they noticed a lot of people weren't buying their bias and had to come back with a more moderate view.

And that's a state media outlet....
What's the more moderate view concerning diesel vs. petrol?
Sixhaven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2020, 11:51 PM   #44539
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 7313

That diesel engines euro 6 norm are no worse than petrol, even more the latest diesels are proven cleaner (less dust, less CO2 and less NO2) than the latest petrol engines en they also published those numbers. They stated that because of diesel shaming in recent years engine developers achieved the near impossible to achieve; make diesel the less polluting fuel. Petrol engine developers are falling behind. Finally they started publishing the facts afther public opinion clearly didn't agree.

Basically our state media is pretty much leftist-green - something the general population hasn't been in at least 10 years. So now they are starting to fear by pushing to much of those ideals they are actively pushing people in the arms of right wing oarties. And they are... and have been for many years. Now they only realise....

Last edited by joshsam; January 16th, 2020 at 12:04 AM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2020, 12:18 AM   #44540
Sixhaven

Likes (Received): 663

I'm not sure "diesel shaming" is what made engine developers improve the diesel engine so much that it became the less polluting fuel. Doesn't the emissions scandal at Volkswagen have anything to do with that? It seems sloppy journalism to me if VRT credits improved diesel engines to something called "diesel shaming"...

I also don't understand what public opinion has to do with facts? A statement doesn't become more factual if public opinion agrees with it.
Sixhaven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
highways, motorways