Proposals & Construction: 100m-149m highrises - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Skyscrapers & General Urban Issues

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 17th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #41
Jack Daniel
Wolf in sheep's clothing

Likes (Received): 998

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
Its like hitting your head against a wall sometimes, don't worry I know. Many people from down there are unable to think outside the square so to speak. If a city does not follow their model of a city exactly then its not a city or they cannot comprehend it. Not all are like that but many are. Many of them also follow what is known as "the general rule" whereby they base Population on everything, ie if something has a bigger population it must be busier, more traffic, louder, more creative, you get the picture. Basically everything goes back to population size and the general rule follows

Thank god people are starting to think outside this "general rule" now but its a slow process.

Given Brisbane is probably the most different city in Australia its probably the hardest to comprehend for people south of the boarder.
j
Couldn't agree more J. They. The ones that dwell South of the border are of one mind. Striving to build huge hive like metropolises all they care about is increasing their numbers following what is known as "the general rule" whereby they base Population on everything, ie if something has a bigger population it must be busier, more traffic, louder, more creative and generally better. Their megalopolises are forever spreading outwards engulfing everything and anything that stands in their way. Every once in a while some drones make their way up north where they encounter the Brizbanites a race so different from their own they fail to comprehend their civilization. Unable to think outside of the square they fail to see the beauty of Brisbane the beating heart of Brizbanian civilization. They become dazed and confused and yearn to return to the noise and traffic of their homeland. Thank god some Southerners are starting to think outside this "general rule" now but its a slow process as this general rule is hard wired into their very beings and a part of their collective consciousness.
Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite.
Jack Daniel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #42
JayT
Like whatever....

Likes (Received): 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Daniel View Post
Couldn't agree more J. They. The ones that dwell South of the border are of one mind. Striving to build huge hive like metropolises all they care about is increasing their numbers following what is known as "the general rule" whereby they base Population on everything, ie if something has a bigger population it must be busier, more traffic, louder, more creative and generally better. Their megalopolises are forever spreading outwards engulfing everything and anything that stands in their way. Every once in a while some drones make their way up north where they encounter the Brizbanites a race so different from their own they fail to comprehend their civilization. Unable to think outside of the square they fail to see the beauty of Brisbane the beating heart of Brizbanian civilization. They become dazed and confused and yearn to return to the noise and traffic of their homeland. Thank god some Southerners are starting to think outside this "general rule" now but its a slow process as this general rule is hard wired into their very beings and a part of their collective consciousness.
JayT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #43
ross_the_man

Likes (Received): 89

How is Brisbane the most different city? Lol.
ross_the_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2009, 02:23 AM   #44
Dockside

Likes (Received): 162

JayT=BSD
Ballina=Brisbane

Turning a great city into a joke............
Dockside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #45
JayT
Like whatever....

Yeah whatever
Get back in your hole docksad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross_the_man View Post
How is Brisbane the most different city? Lol.
Brisbane is very different.
It mostly has Timber & Tin inner suburbs (similar to San Fran or Seattle) while Syd, Mel, Adelaide and Perth are mainly Brick or Stone.

Brisbane doesn't have terraces in the centre (or very few) and mostly consists of single detached housing. These houses are mainly of Queensland style - something thats not found down south or west.

We don't have long retail streets and strips, more like clumps.

Brisbane lacks any of the types of street plantings you’d find in Sydney or Melbourne which also gives the city a different feel.

Brisbane was never planned and as a result we have an “organic” street layout where main arterial roads follow ridge-tops or Valleys.

Brisbane’s hilly suburbs and very steep roads are very different to any you’d find in other cities. Auckland or Wellington may come close.

The fact that half of the metropolitan area is governed by one municipal council has also given the city a distinct feel. The City Council has far reaching powers you’d never find in other cities.

The climate is subtropical which makes quite a difference too, especially with regards to architecture.

need I go on.

(this thread is about midrise towers isn't it)
Old March 18th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #46
Marty_

Likes (Received): 276

Quote:
That won't be hard. He's from Melbourne
Marty_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #47
AlexWaters89
Melbun-MoveWestBuildHigh

Likes (Received): 1

Valid points J

Speaking of banging your head against a brick wall; Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney all have good and bad points. None of them deserve to be insulted in the way some of us do when we feel strongly about one aspect of the cities or another.

The north vs. south stuff is bullshit, just drop it.

The reason us naive closed-minded "southerners" care oh so much (in actuality nowhere near as much as you seem to think, J) about population size is because it does have an impact on how the city evolves and how people there define themselves and others...Darwin has nothing on Brisbane. Just try keeping a straight face and saying that it has nothing whatsoever to do with brisbane being 10 times the size in population terms. You can't. I'm not suggesting that its a perfect mathematical equation therefore New Dehli = 5 times better than Sydney or Seoul = 4 times better than Melbourne, but it does have an impact, so get over it.

How about we all stop city bashing and get back on topic eh.
AlexWaters89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #48
Marty_

Gee Alex, way to spoil all our fun. Being so mature and all. I'm disgusted at your rational and calmly executed comments.
Old March 18th, 2009, 05:42 AM   #49
JayT
Like whatever....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexWaters89 View Post
Valid points J

The reason us naive closed-minded "southerners" care oh so much (in actuality nowhere near as much as you seem to think, J) about population size is because it does have an impact on how the city evolves and how people there define themselves and others...Darwin has nothing on Brisbane. Just try keeping a straight face and saying that it has nothing whatsoever to do with brisbane being 10 times the size in population terms. You can't. I'm not suggesting that its a perfect mathematical equation therefore New Dehli = 5 times better than Sydney or Seoul = 4 times better than Melbourne, but it does have an impact, so get over it.
It can have an impact of course - but population is just ONE element that makes up a city.

I mean I'd take Darwin over Geelong (a city nearly twice the size) anyday. Its skyline shits all over Geelong, its airport is busier - basically everything about Darwin is more impressive.

Give me Wellington over Newcastle (a city roughly twice the size) anyday for its density, skyline and funky atmosphere.

And Gold Coast's skyline kicks Adelaide's ass (sorry Adelaidians, just making a point) - a city twice the size.

Getting back to Adelaide - it would probably give Houston or Dallas a run for their money with regards to beautiful old architecture - cities 4 and 5 times its size.

You see what I'm trying to get at - Population doesn't matter.

Probably best to get back to this thread now and see some Proposals & UC- 100m-149m skyscrapers
j
Old March 18th, 2009, 05:51 AM   #50
Mickeebee

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:

Yeah whatever

Brisbane is very different.
It mostly has Timber & Tin inner suburbs (similar to San Fran or Seattle) while Syd, Mel, Adelaide and Perth are mainly Brick or Stone.

Brisbane doesn't have terraces in the centre (or very few) and mostly consists of single detached housing. These houses are mainly of Queensland style - something thats not found down south or west.

We don't have long retail streets and strips, more like clumps.

Brisbane lacks any of the types of street plantings you’d find in Sydney or Melbourne which also gives the city a different feel.

Brisbane was never planned and as a result we have an “organic” street layout where main arterial roads follow ridge-tops or Valleys.

Brisbane’s hilly suburbs and very steep roads are very different to any you’d find in other cities. Auckland or Wellington may come close.

The fact that half of the metropolitan area is governed by one municipal council has also given the city a distinct feel. The City Council has far reaching powers you’d never find in other cities.

The climate is subtropical which makes quite a difference too, especially with regards to architecture.

need I go on.

(this thread is about midrise towers isn't it)
You've gone on enough. Stop. Now!
Mickeebee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #51
Marty_

LOL - being a relative newcomer, I didn't realise my comments would spark such an impassioned debate. I was just having a laugh and poking fun at people to cause a stir. Looks like it worked. What a crack up.

Anyway. I'm happy to get back to the topic at hand.
Old March 18th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #52
AlexWaters89
Melbun-MoveWestBuildHigh

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_ View Post
Gee Alex, way to spoil all our fun. Being so mature and all. I'm disgusted at your rational and calmly executed comments.
Not interested in the personal bullshit. Back to topic.
AlexWaters89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #53
Marty_

Dude... It was a joke. You know... Of the haha variety.
Old March 18th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #54
ross_the_man

Quote:
And Gold Coast's skyline kicks Adelaide's ass (sorry Adelaidians, just making a point) - a city twice the size.
Maybe from a distance. Up close it just looks like a bunch of massive rectangles in the sky. I really like they density of Adelaide. I'd take that over the Gold Coast anyday. Big buildings mean diddly squat really.
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #55
Mickeebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross_the_man View Post
Maybe from a distance. Up close it just looks like a bunch of massive rectangles in the sky. I really like they density of Adelaide. I'd take that over the Gold Coast anyday. Big buildings mean diddly squat really.
Well they sorta do really...this is skyscrapercity afterall.
Old March 18th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #56
ross_the_man

Yeah didn't come out properly. I don't like the fact that the towers are so spread out from each other. To me the low rise density of Adelaide gives the place a better feel. That's just my opinion, to each their own!
Old March 18th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #57
Mpol

Likes (Received): 91

Nth Terrace is simply awesome. More of that density in Adelaide thanks. Wall to wall buildings!
Mpol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #58
JVogt

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_ View Post
Why did I waste my breath...

Southerners suffer some kind of mental impairment, whereby a city has to be either perfect or mud on a stick. There is no middle road. Maybe Melbourne and Sydney have been desperately battling for supremacy for too long. It's good to know you have so much to occupy your time down there.

Anyway - carry on. I'll get back to my tropical paradise. Sorry to transgress your dingy world for a few moments.
I think I sparked this comment above, so I'll respond to it (and not in a retaliatory kind of way, mind you). I'm actually from Brisbane and, though I live in Sydney, I'm no great fan of it to be honest. I just wanted to know why you didn't like Sydney because your description of it sounded VERY complimentary.
Old March 19th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #59
Mickeebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpol View Post
Nth Terrace is simply awesome. More of that density in Adelaide thanks. Wall to wall buildings!
I love Nth Terrace too.
Old March 19th, 2009, 03:27 AM   #60
uewepuep

Likes (Received): 30

Brisbane - City of trolls.
uewepuep no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement