St Albans Place (Vita) | 18/19 fl | 56m | U/C - Page 23 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area > Leeds Construction Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 26th, 2019, 05:18 PM   #441
mike okane

Likes (Received): 5919

pics from friday

hzrd, erewhon, Leodis Loiner, Saragog, Damo liked this post
mike okane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2019, 06:35 PM   #442
Skychaser 2005

Likes (Received): 1164

whichever angle you see this building from, it looks first class. Such a great colour, vibrant and expensive looking if you know what I mean. I have to say, it make Symons House seem very bland but will reserve judgement until its finished

Saragog liked this post
Skychaser 2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 10:08 PM   #443
erewhon

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike okane View Post
pics from friday

Y’know, Mike, looking at your first pic (excellent, by the way), it makes me wonder if it might be worthwhile letting loose some of the graffiti artists of Leeds on the retaining walls of the inner ring road. The glossiness of St Alban’s is making them look particularly grim so why not let some of these graffitiists have a go at livening them up?

mike okane, this_city liked this post

Last edited by erewhon; June 7th, 2019 at 08:17 PM. Reason: A missing "t"
erewhon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 12:18 AM   #444
mike okane

that's a good idea imo, a bit of paint would make all the difference as the IRR is looking very tired. It can't be long before the money spent on maintainence will in the long term exceed the cost of creating something new or even revolutionary (for commuters) out of it or even filling it in. It needs a rethink on how to make it work without killing us all imo I don't know if they'd ever consider capping it in sections (at first) to create unpolluted space and new land above and have space -age filtration towers to suck out the fumes. It would be expensive but the benefits as in better Air quality and new space created above for Parks and small scale developments would be worth it imo. There's enough height and space in certain sections of the IRR to construct an elevated overhead rail or tramway of some sort above the road traffic... but yes some paint just to brighten it up would do for now.

erewhon, stdenys liked this post
Old May 27th, 2019, 01:10 AM   #445
erewhon

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike okane View Post
that's a good idea imo, a bit of paint would make all the difference as the IRR is looking very tired. It can't be long before the money spent on maintainence will in the long term exceed the cost of creating something new or even revolutionary (for commuters) out of it or even filling it in. It needs a rethink on how to make it work without killing us all imo I don't know if they'd ever consider capping it in sections (at first) to create unpolluted space and new land above and have space -age filtration towers to suck out the fumes. It would be expensive but the benefits as in better Air quality and new space created above for Parks and small scale developments would be worth it imo. There's enough height and space in certain sections of the IRR to construct an elevated overhead rail or tramway of some sort above the road traffic... but yes some paint just to brighten it up would do for now.

I think I read about something along the lines of what you’re proposing. It was in Paris, I believe, where an urban motorway was covered over in large sections with enough strengthening to allow for parkland and lightweight buildings to go up over the motorway.
erewhon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 02:51 PM   #446
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 2452

Quote:
Originally Posted by erewhon View Post
I think I read about something along the lines of what you’re proposing. It was in Paris, I believe, where an urban motorway was covered over in large sections with enough strengthening to allow for parkland and lightweight buildings to go up over the motorway.
You could be thinking of some short stretches of the Périphique, but a more famous example is the Big Dig in Boston where this was done. It was a massive infrastructure project but has had an enormous effect on integrating two sides of the city that were previously totally severed.

mike okane, yellowbus liked this post
Leeds No.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2019, 05:37 PM   #447
tigerman

Likes (Received): 6450

P6031461vita by tigerman687, on Flickr

P6031467vita by tigerman687, on Flickr

P6031475vita by tigerman687, on Flickr

P6031477vita by tigerman687, on Flickr

P6031480vita by tigerman687, on Flickr

P6031500vita by tigerman687, on Flickr
tigerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2019, 08:21 PM   #448
Saragog

Likes (Received): 3

Really nice photos Tigerman! Just a few patches to go!! It’s great to see the light variation in each facade, particularly between the ceramic colours, nothing quite like it!

mike okane liked this post
Saragog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2019, 08:58 PM   #449
Alexi Lalas

Likes (Received): 132

I genuinely don’t like the lighter shade used for the tower. I’d have preferred they stuck to just the one
Alexi Lalas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2019, 10:10 PM   #450
Rob
Proponent of Leeds

Likes (Received): 1468

I like how they've done the central portion in the lighter more golden shade - and I think this whole development is a real jewel; it looks superb and a real iconic addition for Leeds.
Old June 4th, 2019, 10:28 PM   #451
Saragog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi Lalas View Post
I genuinely don’t like the lighter shade used for the tower. I’d have preferred they stuck to just the one

Debated in length I’m sure. That would have quite an affect on the composition, on balance for a building seen both far and near this just feels right personally, the gold by contrast highlights the richness of the bronze, and in tandem brings life back to the park.

Not sure about those signs though...
Old June 4th, 2019, 11:07 PM   #452
Subliving
Mhmm?

Likes (Received): 1146

I hadn’t noticed the strip of glazing down the middle until now. Very smart!

Subliving.
Subliving no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2019, 12:17 AM   #453
Saragog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subliving View Post
I hadn’t noticed the strip of glazing down the middle until now. Very smart!

Subliving.

Once the white tape is taken off the glazing bars the effect will be clearer, nice job with the split at the top also.

yellowbus liked this post
Old June 5th, 2019, 11:13 PM   #454
mike okane

it's quite a subtle difference between the shades of cladding imo, I took this not very good pic late on at around 8.30 pm a few days ago

I wouldn't mind a whole host of other new buildings with the same type of cladding

it's certainly going to brighten up that entry into town
Old June 6th, 2019, 10:57 AM   #455
stdenys

Likes (Received): 160

Looks stunning. Can't wait for New Briggate to be pedestrianised and landscaped. It looks unbelievably tatty by comparison to the gleaming golden tower.

this_city, Lavalas, mike okane liked this post
stdenys está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2019, 12:05 AM   #456
Rhodar
Leeds

Likes (Received): 12

The gold was originally meant to be emerald green on the building. Can't imagine that now.

Subliving liked this post
Rhodar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2019, 10:39 PM   #457
di Livio

Likes (Received): 1530

Vita is a lesson to the council that the city needs higher quality cladding and more colour.

hzrd, JamesWCSB, mike okane, stdenys liked this post
di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2019, 01:56 AM   #458
mike okane

I passed by Vita 1 today and the glazing looked superb (as well as the glorious cladding) it's very reflective and not dull looking at all. It's as good as the new City College glazing or better...and with Central Square (esp. the whitehall road side), Wellington Place, Victoria Gate and John Lewis we're getting spoilt lately in terms of quality architecture, long may it continue
btw I can't remember seeing any buildings posted on here superior to vita 1 that's been built in Brum or Manchester recently (despite their 87 cranes) but i'm sure someone, somewhere must have used this type of cladding on a building before?

Last edited by mike okane; June 16th, 2019 at 02:21 AM.
Old June 16th, 2019, 03:29 AM   #459
tomleeds

Likes (Received): 1673

Of buildings currently under construction, this is the highest quality cladding in the country right now.

mike okane, Saragog liked this post
tomleeds no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2019, 09:21 AM   #460
di Livio

Likes (Received): 1530

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomleeds View Post
Of buildings currently under construction, this is the highest quality cladding in the country right now.
The only downer is that for every one of these high quality buildings we get five shit ones.
di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement