ALIA | 200 Central | 483 ft | 42 stories - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Minneapolis-Saint Paul

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 22nd, 2015, 10:22 PM   #61
Major Deegan

Likes (Received): 5823

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMPLS View Post
It seems to me that many people do not like when developers do above ground parking - why is this?
Because windowless parking podiums do not make for very good pedestrian environments. Great design isn't just sky-high. The measure of a city and the success of its buildings is primarily observed at street level.

Which looks more welcoming?

this residential in Vancouver

or this:

WP_20151012_007 1 by grant.simons, on Flickr

Last edited by Major Deegan; October 23rd, 2015 at 12:16 AM.
Major Deegan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2015, 11:14 PM   #62
John Nicollet Mall

Likes (Received): 1950

Or, the least the developer can do is give the street level fašade the appearance and height of two stories. The first level of 4Marq is really approx one and 1/2 stories. Just adding another 1/2 story to the street level facade would have made the podium look significantly less top heavy.
John Nicollet Mall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 07:43 PM   #63
TCMPLS

Likes (Received): 757

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Deegan View Post
Because windowless parking podiums do not make for very good pedestrian environments. Great design isn't just sky-high. The measure of a city and the success of its buildings is primarily observed at street level.
Thank you for answering my question with this response. I happen to like the above ground parking when it looks nice as in the case of 4Marq as it looks unique AND adds height to a tower, however, is it possible for a developer to do above ground parking above street level shops?

Last edited by Major Deegan; October 23rd, 2015 at 11:53 PM.
TCMPLS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2015, 08:25 PM   #64
bapster2006

Likes (Received): 1625

NorthStar West parking ramp with Arby's!
bapster2006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 10:45 PM   #65
Wedgeguy
S MPLS

Likes (Received): 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapster2006 View Post
NorthStar West parking ramp with Arby's!
There is retail on the ground floor of the parking ramp at 10th and Marquette. But I believe that the space is vacant at this time.
Wedgeguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 11:50 PM   #66
ArcCrypts
▀ᗄИИED

Likes (Received): 543

Got a diagram pic up on SkyscraperPage so you can see how it compare to other towers in Minneapolis. It is taller than the Carlyle by roof height so if built will be the tallest residential building in Minnesota by roof. Carlyle still tallest overall because of its spires things on top.
ArcCrypts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 12:16 AM   #67
Wedgeguy
S MPLS

^ I hope that you can add a few more towers to that site that are not represented.
Old October 24th, 2015, 01:49 AM   #68
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedgeguy View Post
^ I hope that you can add a few more towers to that site that are not represented.
?? Just curious what exactly you mean. Add more upcoming projects or show the entire current skyline? I think he did a good job representing what he was trying to do.

Oh I get it now. Nevermind.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000

Last edited by Mplsuptown; October 24th, 2015 at 01:58 AM.
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 01:55 AM   #69
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Likes (Received): 1186

Wow Arc you have really improved from your first

Mplsuptown, ArcCrypts liked this post
munchymunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 02:00 AM   #70
Wedgeguy
S MPLS

There are a few of the current tower that are built that have not been posted to that site, Nic on 5th is one off the top of my head. You would have to look at the whole skyscraperpage.com under MPLS to see what other current towers are missing that have been built. Some of the newer towers have not been posted on there yet.Hoping he could add like the Latitude 45 which would be tall enough by some of the shorter building that are posted, The Portland should be shown as under construction which is not shown. If either he or Avian can post those diagrams it makes the city seem more complete for others not from MPLS to know we have them.

Last edited by Wedgeguy; October 24th, 2015 at 02:06 AM.
Old October 24th, 2015, 02:39 AM   #71
ArcCrypts
▀ᗄИИED

Likes (Received): 543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedgeguy View Post
There are a few of the current tower that are built that have not been posted to that site, Nic on 5th is one off the top of my head. You would have to look at the whole skyscraperpage.com under MPLS to see what other current towers are missing that have been built. Some of the newer towers have not been posted on there yet.Hoping he could add like the Latitude 45 which would be tall enough by some of the shorter building that are posted, The Portland should be shown as under construction which is not shown. If either he or Avian can post those diagrams it makes the city seem more complete for others not from MPLS to know we have them.
A Nic on 5th diagram already technically can be made. The way I make the diagrams is that I first model them on SketchUp, color them in basic colors, export it into photoshop and touch them up, add extra stuff, etc and then add them to SkyscraperPage. All of my diagram pictures on SkyscraperPage have a SketchUp models as well. That means MBP can also make diagram models as well. An example would be his Nic on 5th Sketchup model.

I downloaded his model, exported it as a 2d image and cropped it and made it the correct size on photoshop.

I won't add it too SkyscraperPage myself though since the model isn't mine but if MBP can make a SkyscraperPage Diagram account (not forum), he can take that image and add it himself.
Old October 24th, 2015, 03:35 AM   #72
Wedgeguy
S MPLS

Just looking at the SSP site you can see which decades had the most towers build, The 60's had a lot of government housing towers built I think that close to 40% would be under that guise. More were built in the 70's but a lot less. The 70's started the building of market rate housing towers, but they were few and far between. The 70's was the real start of the skyscraper being a choice for office tenants. While there were smaller towers built before the IDS, the IDS made it so that developers I think wanted to have some height and floor space to rent. While this is just going off the diagram page you can see that the 60's 70's and 80's average about 30 tower a decade. The biggest batch of office towers was in the 80's. That is when MPLS got their nice collection of towers designed by world class architects and a lot of our height. The 90's was kind of a drought due to the overbuilding of the late 80's. The turn of the century gave us more towers, but less that half of what we had happening in the 60s-90s. So far into the teens we are building, but due to limited numbers of towers that have been posted on SSP it looks like we are not building any real towers even though we have several that would surpass the Lyndale tower which is the shortest on the diagram chart. Part of why I hope other who have the talent can give the city its due with those missing towers.

achybo liked this post

Last edited by Wedgeguy; October 26th, 2015 at 05:40 AM.
Old November 4th, 2015, 03:17 AM   #73
bapster2006

I went to the Marcy Holmes land use committee meeting tonight. Bob Lux and ESG gave their presentation. There were 4 options: 35 or 40 story contemporary design, and 35 or 40 story traditional design. The traditional looked like a darker Carlyle. The committee voted to recommend the 40 story contemporary design. They officially go in front of the HPC December 7.
Old November 4th, 2015, 04:02 AM   #74
Scott16475

Likes (Received): 606

Is the contemporary design the model that we've all seen online?
Scott16475 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 04:06 AM   #75
bapster2006

Yes it is. And if they had images laying around of the contemporary design I would have snuck a few photos, because that is what I do. But we had to wait for the official presentation that was inside ESG's laptop.

Scott16475 liked this post
Old November 4th, 2015, 05:18 AM   #76
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Likes (Received): 1186

I would've lost it if traditional was chosen, you guys got lucky with the Carlyle. 90% of new buildings in traditional style are terrible.
Old November 4th, 2015, 04:07 PM   #77
TCMPLS

Likes (Received): 757

Will this project break ground before any others on that side of the river?
TCMPLS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 04:24 PM   #78
bapster2006

The way Bob Lux and ESG were talking they want to wrap up as much this year as possible. I saw a bunch of vehicles on the Superior Plating site the other day so they might be gearing up to start. BUT the Skyline team said they are leaning heavily towards wanting their building to be owner occupied, and neighborhood support is for condo too. The Skyline location will be superior heights and views of course with top units in the millions, so they will be going for a different customer.
Old November 4th, 2015, 04:45 PM   #79
mullen

Likes (Received): 735

ah ok. I thought they had already settled on the contemporary, taller building.
mullen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #80
nasa35

Likes (Received): 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullen View Post
ah ok. I thought they had already settled on the contemporary, taller building.
they have
nasa35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
alatus, bob lux, esg, high rise, minneapolis, northeast, tcnortheast