MASONIC CENTER HOTEL | 234' | 18 FL | PROPOSED - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Milwaukee

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2017, 04:30 PM   #81
MKE-MSP-CHI

Likes (Received): 4689

Personally, I really love that this isn't "typical Milwaukee". It's a great design (but then again I like Modernism), quality in-fill, and will get more people downtown. I think it's an interesting twist that would be the chain's first Midwest location, and a pretty nice endorsement of how an outside chain feels about the city. I just hope the CAVE people don't come out against this, or Marcus files a legal action, or an alderman's constituents complain about loss of views...Because until the concrete starts flowing, I take nothing for granted.
MKE-MSP-CHI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2017, 11:34 AM   #82
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-MSP-CHI View Post
I just hope the CAVE people don't come out against this, or Marcus files a legal action, or an alderman's constituents complain about loss of views...Because until the concrete starts flowing, I take nothing for granted.
LOL. Marcus filing a legal action. Marcus' dominance on the downtown market is falling apart. There are too many new hotels (opened or U/C) to even make the point now. Plus, between downtown the burbs hotel growth in the region has exploded.

Only thing they have to argue about is that hotel chain looks 4-5 star, similar to Marcus' InterContinental and Pfister properties. Question is can MKE handle another higher end hotel in the CBD? I say yes as more suburban HQs are moving inwards.

MKE-bound liked this post
brewcityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 02:22 PM   #83
Ngraabe

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
LOL. Marcus filing a legal action. Marcus' dominance on the downtown market is falling apart. There are too many new hotels (opened or U/C) to even make the point now. Plus, between downtown the burbs hotel growth in the region has exploded.

Only thing they have to argue about is that hotel chain looks 4-5 star, similar to Marcus' InterContinental and Pfister properties. Question is can MKE handle another higher end hotel in the CBD? I say yes as more suburban HQs are moving inwards.
You must not have stayed at the intercon in the past 5+ years....Marcus hasn't invested any money into the hotel since it was switched to an intercon.... rooms, guests' corridors, and overal experience is lacking in everyway, especially comparing to other intercon properties. Marcus has taken their positioning in the region for granted for many years, and now are falling behind. They have been focusing on acquiring hotel properties in other parts of the country, instead of locally.

wndrlst, RN_NM, phxtravelboy liked this post
Ngraabe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2017, 02:51 PM   #84
MKE-bound

Likes (Received): 1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngraabe View Post
Marcus hasn't invested any money into the hotel since it was switched to an intercon.... rooms, guests' corridors, and overal experience is lacking in everyway, especially comparing to other intercon properties. Marcus has taken their positioning in the region for granted for many years, and now are falling behind.
Bring on the competition!! <<rubbing hands together>>

Ngraabe, Mesheke liked this post
MKE-bound no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 11:56 PM   #85
brewcityfan

Quote:
You must not have stayed at the intercon in the past 5+ years....Marcus hasn't invested any money into the hotel since it was switched to an intercon.... rooms, guests' corridors, and overal experience is lacking in everyway, especially comparing to other intercon properties. Marcus has taken their positioning in the region for granted for many years, and now are falling behind. They have been focusing on acquiring hotel properties in other parts of the country, instead of locally.
If that's the case, and your a member of IHG rewards, contact IHG corporate direct. Every year hotel chains send out representatives to ensure that properties carrying their brand are still in compliance with brand standards and regulations.

MKE-bound liked this post
Old November 15th, 2017, 03:35 AM   #86
phxtravelboy

Likes (Received): 838

Quote:
I stayed in the Intercontinental 2 years ago and it was so DARK in that hotel. The hallways, the room, everything just seemed to be so dark. That is not a very welcoming atmosphere for a hotel.

Ngraabe liked this post
phxtravelboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 05:16 AM   #87
Ngraabe

Yeah, I was an outlets supervisor while I was in grad school. Lack of maintenance really is what led to the slow death of that hotel. Poor choosing of color palette. .. when you walk into a hotel and the carpets original color is only along the walls, that's just an outright sign that is not a hotel I want to stay at. So yes, I'm aware of secret shoppers, and annual reviews of quality and service, which this location almost always is in the "need for improvement" rating. It's just another example of a disservice that Marcus is doing for the city of Milwaukee. A supposed high end brand, but when guests arrive and there's mold in the showers, dingy carpets, and many other aspects of the maintenance and care that is displayed exhibits a poor image for guests to the city and state.

phxtravelboy liked this post
Old November 15th, 2017, 01:42 PM   #88
MKE-bound

Quote:
Yeah, I was an outlets supervisor while I was in grad school. Lack of maintenance really is what led to the slow death of that hotel. Poor choosing of color palette. .. when you walk into a hotel and the carpets original color is only along the walls, that's just an outright sign that is not a hotel I want to stay at. So yes, I'm aware of secret shoppers, and annual reviews of quality and service, which this location almost always is in the "need for improvement" rating. It's just another example of a disservice that Marcus is doing for the city of Milwaukee. A supposed high end brand, but when guests arrive and there's mold in the showers, dingy carpets, and many other aspects of the maintenance and care that is displayed exhibits a poor image for guests to the city and state.
But yet they seem to keep the Hilton up nicely (??). BTW, is the Hyatt owned by Marcus also?
Old November 15th, 2017, 03:17 PM   #89
wndrlst

Likes (Received): 287

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-bound View Post
But yet they seem to keep the Hilton up nicely (??). BTW, is the Hyatt owned by Marcus also?
I think the Marcus HQ is in the Hilton building??? If so, that may be why they pay more attention to it.

Unsure about the Hyatt, but I don't believe so?
wndrlst no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 03:55 PM   #90
MkeMillennial

Likes (Received): 815

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndrlst View Post
I think the Marcus HQ is in the Hilton building??? If so, that may be why they pay more attention to it.

Unsure about the Hyatt, but I don't believe so?
Marcus' HQ is in 100 East. Hyatt is not a Marcus property. Lastly, I've heard rumors that Marcus is either dropping the InterContinental brand or selling the hotel altogether.
Old November 15th, 2017, 05:58 PM   #91
Ngraabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MkeMillennial View Post
Marcus' HQ is in 100 East. Hyatt is not a Marcus property. Lastly, I've heard rumors that Marcus is either dropping the InterContinental brand or selling the hotel altogether.
The Hilton has been maintained much better compared to the intercon. The pfister is their prized child. I believe they closed the water park at the Hilton. The agreement with ihg re: the intercon brand was up for renewal within the past year, Marcus was looking into Marriott or other brands but didn't get any offers that they were wanting so they agreed to a 2 year plan with ihg anticipating investmemt by marcus to update the building. Many things with the building need improvements such as the freight elevator needs replacement etc. There was also speculation that Marcus was possibly looking for another management company to take over the property as the costs for improvements will be significant.

mbradleyc liked this post
Old November 15th, 2017, 09:18 PM   #92
brewcityfan

Ohhhh man these stories! If the rumors about the InterCon are true, then that'd be the second premier hotel on the selling block Downtown, after the Hyatt. If not up for sale, based on what I'm reading I wouldn't be surprised if IHG simply revokes the licensing to use their branding at that hotel for an InterCon.

This was the situation awhile back at the Embassy Suites in Brookfield. The ownership group didn't want to make the proper modifications/branding enhancements to the property, and Hilton returned the favor of denying the Embassy brand for that property. Only reason why it's an Embassy again is Aimbridge bought out the property and brought it up to the Embassy standards Hilton required. And BAM - it's an Embassy again.

Sounds to me like Marcus would need to pump in tens of millions of dollars to totally revamp the whole InterCon. I don't know if Marcus sees any value gains in doing so, though.
Old November 15th, 2017, 11:30 PM   #93
Ngraabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Ohhhh man these stories! If the rumors about the InterCon are true, then that'd be the second premier hotel on the selling block Downtown, after the Hyatt. If not up for sale, based on what I'm reading I wouldn't be surprised if IHG simply revokes the licensing to use their branding at that hotel for an InterCon.

This was the situation awhile back at the Embassy Suites in Brookfield. The ownership group didn't want to make the proper modifications/branding enhancements to the property, and Hilton returned the favor of denying the Embassy brand for that property. Only reason why it's an Embassy again is Aimbridge bought out the property and brought it up to the Embassy standards Hilton required. And BAM - it's an Embassy again.

Sounds to me like Marcus would need to pump in tens of millions of dollars to totally revamp the whole InterCon. I don't know if Marcus sees any value gains in doing so, though.
I know that at least this basketball season and a part of the mlb season, teams were reluctant to stay at the intercon. Many of the teams stay at the pfister, but there still remains a handful of teams who stay at the intercon, I'm sure because of contractual purposes. Just looking at trip advisor, the reviews are becoming more and more negative. Really hope this project happens, will just add more life in the neighborhood.
Old November 16th, 2017, 01:39 AM   #94
Mesheke

Likes (Received): 1422

Quote:
I know that at least this basketball season and a part of the mlb season, teams were reluctant to stay at the intercon. Many of the teams stay at the pfister, but there still remains a handful of teams who stay at the intercon, I'm sure because of contractual purposes. Just looking at trip advisor, the reviews are becoming more and more negative. Really hope this project happens, will just add more life in the neighborhood.

OnMilwaukee actually just did an interview with Steve Novak and he said a lot of NBA players have been staying at the Kimpton in the Third Ward.

Crankbaiter liked this post
Mesheke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 01:42 AM   #95
Ngraabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesheke View Post
OnMilwaukee actually just did an interview with Steve Novak and he said a lot of NBA players have been staying at the Kimpton in the Third Ward.
That's great to hear!!!! I know it's cold outside, but the rooftop bar is a great setting for a fun time out. Much better exposure to the city with its modern feel.
Old November 16th, 2017, 07:55 AM   #96
Mesheke

Likes (Received): 1422

Quote:
That's great to hear!!!! I know it's cold outside, but the rooftop bar is a great setting for a fun time out. Much better exposure to the city with its modern feel.
I haven't been there since this summer, do they have heat lamps set up?
Mesheke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 02:01 PM   #97
MKE-bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesheke View Post
I haven't been there since this summer, do they have heat lamps set up?
Yes, and I believe they put up clear plastic around the bar as well.
MKE-bound no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 09:42 PM   #98
Wiscoboy

Likes (Received): 24

I thought they were green lit to rennovate the Intercontinental in 2016?

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwauke...nental-in.html

I've stayed there twice since my wedding in 2015 (mostly because of the low rate) and I must say I was dissapointed with how the rooms looked....very blighted and blemished. With that being said, Milwaukee has much better hotel offerings now than they did several years ago when Marcus held the majority of the market downtown. I think that they (Marcus) are on cruise control more than anything and I welcome a fresh perspective that hotels like the Kimpton, Westin, and potentiall Masonic hotel will provide to the city.

phxtravelboy liked this post
Wiscoboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 11:02 PM   #99
brewcityfan

I can see the Kimpton and now the Westin sucking some of the major league teams away from the InterCon if it's as bad as folks are saying on here. Hotels always make big announcements that end up getting delayed due to budget projections not working out or other matters. A massive renovation of the InterCon likely would have resulted in whole floors being shuttered for weeks - and based on what I'm reading idk if Marcus can afford the losses on that property.

MKE-bound, Ngraabe liked this post
Old November 16th, 2017, 11:24 PM   #100
skylinedude

Likes (Received): 764

The permanent designation of the building goes to ZND on Tuesday November 21st and then to Common Council on November 28th.

So at the earliest the CPC will see the full project on December 4th, ZND on December 12th and Common Council on December 19th.

VVisconsin08 liked this post
skylinedude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
development, hotel, juneautown, milwaukee, proposed