MASONIC CENTER HOTEL | 234' | 18 FL | PROPOSED - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Milwaukee

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2017, 02:29 AM   #101
MKE-bound

Likes (Received): 1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
. A massive renovation of the InterCon likely would have resulted in whole floors being shuttered for weeks - and based on what I'm reading idk if Marcus can afford the losses on that property.
That would be incredibly myopic. Losses on the property (if it survives long term) would be worse in the long run if they DON'T substantially update. "Pay me now, or pay me (more) later.", IMO.

brewcityfan, SledHead liked this post
MKE-bound no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2017, 03:31 AM   #102
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-bound View Post
That would be incredibly myopic. Losses on the property (if it survives long term) would be worse in the long run if they DON'T substantially update. "Pay me now, or pay me (more) later.", IMO.
You'd be surprised at how many hotel property owners just want the cash and make as few renovations as possible (or eliminate perks) to get a better bottom line.

MKE-bound liked this post
brewcityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 03:42 AM   #103
Ngraabe

Likes (Received): 148

Marcus had invested money in the property when it changed over from the windham...as intercon forced thevrenovations prior to changing the brand. They had closed multiple floors at a time...it's possible, but there's no evidence from speaking with former colleagues that there are any improvements planned
Ngraabe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2018, 06:28 AM   #104
good_land

Likes (Received): 253

Anyone heard anything new about this project? I thought I remembered reading construction would start summer of 2018. I think this is one of the most exciting projects in Milwaukee's development pipeline. I know some aren't crazy about the look, but I applaud the project's architectural risk-taking. The contrast between the glassy tower addition and the building's stone base is really new and different. This hotel and the 7Seventy7 will finally bring some street-level activation to two fairly dead downtown blocks.

wndrlst, Mr. Milwaukee liked this post
good_land no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2018, 04:18 PM   #105
MKE-MSP-CHI

Likes (Received): 4688

Haven't you heard? Every WI project that hasn't yet started besides FoxConn has been canceled. Being facetious of course, and maybe it's because it's the dead of winter, but it certainly FEELS like a slowdown. Some of these dominos we've expected for a long-term just haven't fallen. I have my thoughts that the Masonic will partially depend on a major jobs or HQ announcement for DT Milwaukee, Convention Center expansion, and...actually the Couture. If the Couture doesn't happen - Lakefront Gateway doesn't happen, the Street Car extension doesn't happen...That is a negative domino that will actually really hold back the East Side. That said, I really hope the 7 story on Michigan next to the Grain Exchange Bdlg happens...
MKE-MSP-CHI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2018, 04:28 PM   #106
brewcitymilwaukee

Likes (Received): 1352

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-MSP-CHI View Post
Haven't you heard? Every WI project that hasn't yet started besides FoxConn has been canceled.
Wait, I thought foxconn was going to dump chemicals and pave over all of the wet lands in SE Wisconsin and then cancel the project?
brewcitymilwaukee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2018, 04:43 PM   #107
MKE-MSP-CHI

Likes (Received): 4688

Correct, FoxConn is arranging chemical delivery as we speak with a fleet of C-130s. On the way out the state, they are going to skywrite middle fingers directly over the capital building in Madison.

I do wonder though how FoxConn will or won't drive up construction costs. Being such a massive project, will that pull workers away from smaller DT Milwaukee projects and increase material costs? I hope not. The Masonic is one of my favorite projects in the entire region. I love the architecture, the juxtaposition of old and new, the height, really everything about it.
Old February 9th, 2018, 03:45 AM   #108
good_land

Likes (Received): 253

I recall there being a "rooftop bar" type space where the tower connects to the base. I'm assuming they'll go for a vibe similar to the Outsider at the Kimpton. Super pumped to have another rooftop option in Milwaukee...I feel like Milwaukee has less than its peer cities. Weather is an impediment, no doubt, but I love how the Outsider tents the space in the winter and cranks up the fireplaces. Awesome place to grab drinks on a snowy night if you've never been during winter! I wish Benelux would do something similar.

MKE-bound, MKERevival liked this post
good_land no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 04:55 AM   #109
MKE-bound

Likes (Received): 1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_land View Post
I recall there being a "rooftop bar" type space where the tower connects to the base. I'm assuming they'll go for a vibe similar to the Outsider at the Kimpton. Super pumped to have another rooftop option in Milwaukee...I feel like Milwaukee has less than its peer cities. Weather is an impediment, no doubt, but I love how the Outsider tents the space in the winter and cranks up the fireplaces. Awesome place to grab drinks on a snowy night if you've never been during winter! I wish Benelux would do something similar.
Hear, hear!
Old February 26th, 2018, 05:44 AM   #110
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 5631

Wow, the Masons take their theater seriously! This place is going to really be a destination.

Inside the downtown Milwaukee Masonic Center before it becomes a hotel: Slideshow

VVisconsin08, Jesse276, Mr. Milwaukee liked this post
mbradleyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2018, 07:52 AM   #111
MilwaukeeMax
🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲

Likes (Received): 4473

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
Wow, the Masons take their theater seriously!
It’s for all the human sacrifices they perform there...
Old April 28th, 2018, 04:44 PM   #112
skylinedude

Likes (Received): 764

I recently checked the calendar of events for the Masonic Center (which is also known as Valley of Milwaukee) and it looks like the last events for the group at the Downtown location are happening in the middle of May. Also the group has moved the rest of their operations to another Masonic Temple in Brookfield. So I would guess that a groundbreaking for the glass Masonic Tower Hotel will happen soon, earliest in June.

MKERevival, MilwaukeeMax, mbradleyc, jmj27 liked this post
skylinedude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 01:49 AM   #113
atjacobmajor
KBT Resident & MKE Native

Likes (Received): 333

I am curious as to how they would construct this, and how it would affect the interior of the building. I assume they will be carving a giant hole in the center ��. Regardless I am glad they are keeping the original structure intact and I am sure that this will be a fantastic addition to the interior of Milwaukee. (Perhaps one day my dream of MKE feeling like a real verticle city and not just another cluster of buildings that so many U.S. cities are.) Initially, however, I had some doubt of this project ever coming to reality. @skylinedude makes me hopeful for the future.
atjacobmajor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 08:32 PM   #114
atjacobmajor

Someone already linked this, I know, but it requires premium access to view more than pictures. Would someone with a membership be willing to summarize any important information within the article? From the pictures and their captions, it looks as if the project is going strong. They talk about how much they wish to conserve the interior of the building, which is cool. They talk about making a bar in the basement open to the public and a "cool neighboorhood hangout place". Sounds fantastic!
Old June 8th, 2018, 03:21 PM   #115
wndrlst

Likes (Received): 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinedude View Post
I recently checked the calendar of events for the Masonic Center (which is also known as Valley of Milwaukee) and it looks like the last events for the group at the Downtown location are happening in the middle of May. Also the group has moved the rest of their operations to another Masonic Temple in Brookfield. So I would guess that a groundbreaking for the glass Masonic Tower Hotel will happen soon, earliest in June.
Now that we're solidly into June - has there been any activity on the site?

I really really really want this project to happen. Not the greatest height but solid infill with a fun (& unique for Milwaukee) design.

atjacobmajor liked this post
wndrlst no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 04:40 PM   #116
hailmike

Likes (Received): 852

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndrlst View Post
Now that we're solidly into June - has there been any activity on the site?

I really really really want this project to happen. Not the greatest height but solid infill with a fun (& unique for Milwaukee) design.
I believe the plan all along was August?
hailmike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 07:04 PM   #117
skylinedude

Likes (Received): 764

I haven't heard of an exact start date but winding down of the current operations and transition can take some time. Hope the construction will be starting soon.

atjacobmajor liked this post
skylinedude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2018, 09:44 PM   #118
atjacobmajor

Saw some construction trucks outside today. Didn't have my phone with me, so I couldn't take a picture (sorry!). I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the lodge, but they're there.
Old June 14th, 2018, 04:09 AM   #119
West side Guy

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinedude View Post
I haven't heard of an exact start date but winding down of the current operations and transition can take some time. Hope the construction will be starting soon.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news for those who want to see this move forword asap, but the start date for construction has been pushed back. It seems the developer, Ascension, just got full run of the building recently and there is also some construction complications encountered with the prospective tower. This is a mere technicality but will take a little more engineering. The long and short is the beginning of December will be the new slated start date of tower construction. On the bright side, I'm told that financing has been secured and so there is no worries about this not moving forward...only the delay.
West side Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2018, 05:05 PM   #120
MKERevival
Just a Source of Opinion

Likes (Received): 5671

Quote:
Originally Posted by West side Guy View Post
Hate to be the bearer of bad news for those who want to see this move forword asap, but the start date for construction has been pushed back. It seems the developer, Ascension, just got full run of the building recently and there is also some construction complications encountered with the prospective tower. This is a mere technicality but will take a little more engineering. The long and short is the beginning of December will be the new slated start date of tower construction. On the bright side, I'm told that financing has been secured and so there is no worries about this not moving forward...only the delay.
Thanks for the update!! Can't wait for someone to only read the first sentence or two and then start saying that this project is dead!

Wisconsin Breweries Map: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1075...jWnONeAyafvqLw

Last edited by MKERevival; June 14th, 2018 at 05:16 PM.
MKERevival no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
development, hotel, juneautown, milwaukee, proposed