AUSTIN - Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium (100,119) - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Proposed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2007, 01:09 AM   #121
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 362

^ I think we're still confused as to what exactly this thing will look like. We just know it won't be as clean as renders have shown.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #122
rantanamo

Here are some more pics for some more confusing fun

first signs of work on the exterior towers

supports where the new seats will connect with the west stands(this is further behind as this is the section of the stadium where the field is above the entrance to the stands

at the top of the pic you can see the first of supports for the rams and upper deck that will come after this coming season

The four gymnasiums that will be under these stands

North stand lower deck finally taking shape

This is a great shot and tells alot(I think). You can see the small wall. On the wall you can see a protrusions in the shape of the riser supports(looks like steps jutting an inch out of the wall) Follow each on back to an adjoining step on the old stands. You can clearly see that the riser outline is not only not perfectly matched with the old steps, but it actually about 5 inches lower than their adjoining step. This should stop the fear that the new stands wouldn't match at all. The risers will sit on top of these and should look like a nice clean continuation on the lower half of the lower deck, except with a little wall. We already know the top half of the lower deck will be in the new stands style with a walkway and raised stands

Taller 2 walls showing where the walkway and raised stands will be

I can't figure out how many rows will go onto this walkway. Looking at the equipment, its about 5-6 feet tall from the floor of this walkway to where the riser supports start
Old May 19th, 2007, 11:32 AM   #123
rantanamo

Unreal progress this week. They may finish the lower deck before the season yet. Perhaps the ground work was extra difficult for this project? Now as you can see from the last set early in the week, there has been incredible progress. Now they can build up the supports for the club seating and walkway. Should be much faster than the lower portion of the lower deck.

Risers!

This corner looks months from being finish just last week. Wow in one week it looks done

This corner shows the opposite corner from the one above. We can see where the stands will use the terrain(which is why it belongs in the stands in the ground thread). this was just a dirt hill last week. Now its compressed and being paved over and shaped for new risers

A look of both corners. You can see how the field is below ground from the top and above ground from the bottom

How did they do that so quickly?

Even the roofs of the gymasiums are going up quickly

Even the big supports for taller sections are going up. This is going to be massive when its all done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #124
th0m
oemoemenemoe

Likes (Received): 1

Great progress indeed! I cannot imagine what kind of pandemonium Longhorn nation would be in if the lower bowl wouldn't be ready. That would mean a reduced capacity for the '07 season. You'll get it done in time! Just give the constructionworkers some seasontix, that should help 'm

Semi-OT; I thought about making an update-thread for all college stadiums being upgraded. I made a list of who are upgrading/renovating/building a new stadium.

What I came up with so far:

Texas
Oklahoma State
Wake Forest
Western Ky
Maryland
Minnesota
UCF
Boise State

These are all in various stages of construction of course, but some of these projects probably don't have enough interest to give them their own thread.

ORANJE

www.pbase.com/th0m for photo's
th0m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #125
TEBC

Likes (Received): 6718

loved
TEBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 05:36 AM   #126
Goothrey
Savor the Flavor

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by th0m View Post
Great progress indeed! I cannot imagine what kind of pandemonium Longhorn nation would be in if the lower bowl wouldn't be ready. That would mean a reduced capacity for the '07 season. You'll get it done in time! Just give the constructionworkers some seasontix, that should help 'm

Semi-OT; I thought about making an update-thread for all college stadiums being upgraded. I made a list of who are upgrading/renovating/building a new stadium.

Texas
Oklahoma State
Wake Forest
Western Ky
Maryland
Minnesota
UCF
Boise State

These are all in various stages of construction of course, but some of these projects probably don't have enough interest to give them their own thread.
Texas will be playing in 3 of those stadiums this 07 season i do believe.
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:28 PM   #127
th0m
oemoemenemoe

You guys have away games at UCF, Iowa State, Baylor, Okie State and A&M. So 2 of those stadiums, and then of course your own stadium. Nebraska also recently upgraded, Stanford built a completely new stadium. Iowa is finishing their pressbox and finished their new east stand. Oregon State has a completely new grandstand/press/luxury side that was completed before last year.

ORANJE

Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:30 AM   #128
FastFerrari
I double dog dare you!!!

Likes (Received): 32

growing up in Texas all you see is DKR....its gonna be wired to see it without the horse shoe look...but its gonna be loud as H#$%
FastFerrari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:33 AM   #129
rantanamo

You're right, it will be weird. Its always been this tall, wide open stadium that was slightly weird to visitors, but in a couple of years, it might have some downright intimacy. Can't wait to see it all done.
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #130
Goothrey
Savor the Flavor

Likes (Received): 116

It will still hold a horse shoe shape, just much larger.
Old May 25th, 2007, 02:56 AM   #131
rantanamo

risers going up on the lowest section. should be pretty quick from here on out. Big progress every week.

[img]http://i16.************/63rbias.jpg[/img]

Awesome pic
[img]http://i11.************/6c6o7ll.jpg[/img]
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:03 PM   #132
th0m
oemoemenemoe

Holy cow. It is gonna look flat out rediculous when it's finished. Still a way to go, but the progress is remarkable indeed.

ORANJE

Old June 11th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #133
Longhorn Al

Likes (Received): 11

Here's a few shots that were taken today. (not by me)

A lot has been done since the last post on this thread. The workers are really booking it now.

And the webcam

Longhorn Al no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:57 AM   #134
rantanamo

I still think they should have done this in phases about a year apart. They could finish the entire stand below the suites that way and build the suites and deck before the '09 season. Doing both at once, they probably will finish the stands, but most of it won't be habitable for this season, since they won't finish the concourse work. They already announce a reduced capacity for this season.
Old June 12th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #135
MRichR

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by th0m View Post

Texas
Oklahoma State
Wake Forest
Western Ky
Maryland
Minnesota
UCF
Boise State

University of Illinois is undergoing a pretty sizeable renovation now as well.
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #136
rantanamo

Isn't Michigan adding a ton of suites to both sidelines as well?
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #137
rantanamo

Old June 14th, 2007, 03:26 AM   #138
hoosier

Likes (Received): 72

Indiana is enclosing the north end zone of its stadium. The expansion will include improved athletic and academic facilities and more seats.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 06:30 AM   #139
Benn

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Isn't Michigan adding a ton of suites to both sidelines as well?
They are trying, but there has been a huge (and well deserved) backlash from students, alums and especially handicapped alums. The complaint from everybody is that this will really hurt their ability to expand, and they sell out 120,000 for every game with out much trouble, so only going to 108,000 is a concern of many. Its not that well known, but the stadium was drawn up to be expandable to well over 150,000 back in 1927.
The placement of wheelchair accessible seating has also drawn alot of complaints (and I believe a lawsuit) as all of the spaces are around the back edge of the bowl (close on 100 rows back) along the sidelines.
The renovations would add actual concourses along the sides with two oversized (for what they contain) press boxes running the length of both sidelines. They would have about 88 suites, 3,000-4,000 club seats and the biggest press area I have seen for a college stadium. These renovations are in the same price range as the new gophers stadiums entire budget, and they will only gain about a thousand more seats in overall capacity.
If I were the Michigan AD I would tuck a level of suites and press around the edge of the stadium, with a club section along one side and add cantilevered upper levels along both sidelines with about 10,000 seats each. That would give them a capacity (with the widened aisles they are planning) of about 122,000 with about 90 suites, 3,000 club seats and the same press facilities. It would cost a little more, but the added ticket revenue would probably make up the difference, and it would keep the noise in a little better.
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #140
th0m
oemoemenemoe

That's what I thought when I saw the renderings of the projected (and huge!) pressbox/luxury additions. But can they not add overhanging endzone structures, a la Penn State, (the single overhanging tier, not the double tier)?

It seems better to put a complete ring of luxury, and be able to squeeze in a tier (or part of) on top of that.

ORANJE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
austin, texas