What planning improvements would make the biggest difference in LA? - Page 8 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Los Angeles

Los Angeles » Development News | Transportation | Greater L.A. Area

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2016, 01:50 PM   #141
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 2044

GUYZ PLEEEEEEZE!
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2016, 05:55 PM   #142
unmentioned

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
GUYZ PLEEEEEEZE!
unmentioned no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 06:17 PM   #143
pesto

Likes (Received): 4167

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmentioned View Post
How about you address me directly the next time you have something to say about me.
I don't even think it was you that proposed that. And why address people directly? There are lots of people posting with related ideas and different levels of support for them.

I am simply talking about undergrounding utilities as a way of improving the look of LA. Similarly, I don't like elevated rail, gondolas or the poles and towers that hold them up.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 04:44 AM   #144
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 2044

I like monorails. So suck it!

Because Los Angeles is older than most other cities in California, the LADWP is currently faced with several unique issues. Most of the power lines in Los Angeles were built above-ground before it became customary to run power lines below-ground; as a result, the horizon line of the typical Los Angeles boulevard looks much more cluttered than boulevards in most Southern California cities.

Starting in 2007, LADWP has a long-term project to upgrade the overhead power lines and convert them to underground. This difficult conversion has been slowed by budget constraints, the impact on traffic, the pursuit of other modernization projects, and the lingering effects of a workforce reduction over the last decade. Budget issues are particularly acute in the department's transmission system, where underground transmission costs about 10 to 14 times the cost of overhead transmission, per unit length, and the technical and environmental challenges which confront such installations.

Additionally, undergrounding of the three 500 kV transmission lines (five lines, if the Pacific AC Intertie's two 500 kV lines terminating in Los Angeles are included) is presently technically infeasible. Upgrading the overhead lines is expected to take 10 to 15 years. The upgrading of LADWP's overhead power lines consists of eliminating the V-shape brackets on the power poles that are holding up the crossarm and replacing them with cross-brackets that are put on the crossarm. Some of the wooden power poles are being replaced with metal poles.
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2016, 12:24 AM   #145
californiadreams

Likes (Received): 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Because Los Angeles is older than most other cities in California, the LADWP is currently faced with several unique issues. Most of the power lines in Los Angeles were built above-ground before it became customary to run power lines below-ground; as a result, the horizon line of the typical Los Angeles boulevard looks much more cluttered than boulevards in most Southern California cities.
There are cities throughout the world much older than LA that never allowed their streets to be covered with power poles. That was the case even back during the infancy of telephone service and electricity, when public utility systems were first being installed.

Even if the funds aren't available or are very limited right now, the talking heads in LA, including in the mayor's and council members' offices, should at least finally start complaining about one of the biggest forms of blight out there.

Streets full of poles and draped with wires exist in e.v.e.r.y section of the city, from the northern reaches of the San Fernando Valley all the way down to San Pedro.

The Edison Co's service territories are not much better, which is one reason many of the older Orange County communities along the LA County border have long made me think of Cletus Spuckler on the Simpsons.
californiadreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2016, 05:34 AM   #146
metrocity789

Likes (Received): 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiadreams View Post
The Edison Co's service territories are not much better, which is one reason many of the older Orange County communities along the LA County border have long made me think of Cletus Spuckler on the Simpsons.
Southern Califorania Edison's power lines are much nicer looking than LADWP's power lines.

Can the city of Los Angeles make a contract with Southern California Edison to serve electricity to the LA City section of the San Fernando Valley, so the residents of the SFV have a desire to leave LA City leadership instead of a secession from the city for independence?

Last edited by metrocity789; March 27th, 2016 at 05:41 AM.
metrocity789 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 02:59 PM   #147
black_crow

Likes (Received): 158

I have some information about the "Downtown Street Car - Project".
I spoke to my contact of the Environmental Management Group - Bureau of Engineering.

I copy a part of his message:

Quote:
The project is currently in the environmental review stage, with the
EIR being finalized for certification.

According to the schedule, Construction is estimated to start in early 2018,
and be completed in about 3 years.

jgacis, LosAngelesSportsFan liked this post

Last edited by black_crow; October 9th, 2016 at 06:37 PM.
black_crow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 06:09 PM   #148
pesto

Likes (Received): 4167

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
I have some information about the "Downtown Street Car - Project".
I spoke to the to my contact in the Environmental Management Group - Bureau of Engineering.

I copy a part of his message:
Thanks, this is good news. This has really been quiet for some time.

It also has its own thread but there may not be enough activity yet to reactivate it.

Have Uber and Lyft made it superfluous for locals? Is it going to get any ridership if it isn't made cutesy for tourists (e.g., trolleys, old style cars).
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement