What planning improvements would make the biggest difference in LA? - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Los Angeles

Los Angeles » Development News | Transportation | Greater L.A. Area

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 28th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #41
ArchiTennis
Angeleeeeeeeno

Likes (Received): 68

Yes. Very great read. Thanks for posting. I really hope 13 turns out to be a lucky number.
ArchiTennis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2010, 03:35 AM   #42
pesto

Likes (Received): 4158

Sorry to play the bad buy at the time of what appears to be a hopeful development. But reality is way out of sync here. An imagined conversation:

Ni hao ma, Mr. Chinese car gentleman: you will really like LA; we have failing schools and world-class gangs but we spend most of our time figuring out how to raise the gas tax WITHOUT increasing mass transit ridership. This gives us more money to pay our bloated bureaucracy which the mayor is afraid to touch because they all voted for him. Oh, and if you choose to leave rather than pay higher taxes and fees, we don't care!

Well anyway you can put your plant near the god forsaken airport, which has no transit, no street life and no expectations of getting any since the desirable places are in other cities or in the Marina, where you basically can't build due to the NIMBY's and you can't afford to live there anyway. But that's OK, we'll toll the roads and that will help your people commute. What's that? You're thinking about putting the plant in LV or Phoenix or Texas? Why would you want to do that?

The point being: you really do have to improve your fundamentals first; PR only gets you so far. Besides taming bureaucrats and unions, education and crime need to be addressed; petty taxes and fees repealed. City layoffs; pay cuts; elimination of entire departments. And get the state to do the same.

I know some of you don't believe this, but aside from entertainment (who sort of need to be here) business people want to go somewhere where they are treated as more desirable than street people. Some place where supplemental math and science training centers for kids outnumber medical marijuana dealers. Austin and Nashville and 20 other cities are going to show that and explain that they personally will handle all the paperwork to get them up and running and that they are sincerely appreciated. Unless those kinds of neighborhoods and attitudes can be shown, why do I want to come here and what can the new guy possible do?
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:47 AM   #43
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 363

Southern California apartment rents are expected to keep falling
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,5251110.story

Apartment rents are expected to fall as much as 3.5% in Los Angeles County this year, according to a study released Wednesday, as landlords compete for tenants in a market battered by stubborn joblessness and saturated with freshly constructed housing units.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #44
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 27

See klam, even without that pesky increase in affordable units rents are falling. Of course this is going to lead in property management companies starting to go under, but whatever. its all good as long as those poor are gettin appartments on the cheap
LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #45
klamedia
Silver Lake

Well the rents are falling from a combined new units on the market and joblessness, the latter not good. I'm just glad to see more units on the market therefore taming the market somewhat. I'd like to see the taming of the market even further by putting another Prop H put on the ballots(massive expansion of newly built affordable housing) so that we can get and retain poor and working class families to stay in the central city and not be pushed out to the hinterlands of SB and Riverside. This would increase density within the city (something I think we all want) and from a social standpoint foster class diversity in our city(not that we don't have it already) and make for a more vibrant and diverse landscape.
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #46
pesto

Partly agree, but we have to distinguish the existing situations.

Midtown Manhattan and DT SF have primarily well to do people living in very expensive housing; much of West LA too. I can understand some affordable housing in these areas since the current street mix is mostly commuting workers, well to do locals and tourists.

Greater DT (I include Westlake, Boyle Heights, the USC area, and beyond) does not strike me as having the same street scene. There are plenty of poor and lower middle; it's the workers, rich and tourists that are missing. I would focus on housiing that middle and upper class people could find attractive (not subsidized, but not hampered either). If 200 middle class families want to move into South Park or Westlake why do we have to insist that poor people move there instead?

Central LA does not have an affordable housing crisis (seriously, drive around DT, the Eastside or South Central; there are vacancies available in every neighborhood at prices that would bring tears to the their eyes is SF and NY). The problem is delapidated and unsafe housing. I would focus on 1 for 1 replacement of old down market housing with newer housing, but not with a net increase of affordable units. "Massive" building of instant slums is not what DT needs.
Old April 13th, 2010, 05:11 AM   #47
klamedia
Silver Lake

Instant slums is a little harsh don't you think? Are "working class" families considered poor these days? I'm also assuming that the trend towards densification continues as we enter a more expanded transit system age in for the city as well as a limited natural resource era globally. The central core in the coming decades will inevitably become much more competitive for living.
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:52 PM   #48
pesto

klam: actually you make a lot of good points which I think make sense. I assume that there will be higher density DT and in some surrounding areas. However, I visualize higher density occurring because of increased demand by middle income (and occasionally rich) people seeking the urban life-style of DT proper, Ktown, Westlake. I would like to see much of the existing housing in those areas torn down and rebuilt into attractive middle and high rise units. Much of east Hollywood also.

But the rest of greater DT will remain middle to lower income for years to come, and this is a huge area. I would not like to see high density housing created at, say, Figueroa or Central and MLK or Vernon or Gage or Manchester, etc., to replace low density housing there just for the sake of moving lots of poor people into the area. Keeping these areas mixed small houses and apartments would allow lower income people to stay within reasonable distance of DT. Some net additions to housing in former industrial areas, especially if the economics aren't too negative, is a worthwhile civic or private charitable project. But there is no need to do large-scale "projects". There are enough poor areas to the South and East to allow for reasonable priced housing within a reasonable commute of DT.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:30 AM   #49
LosAngelesMetroBoy

the biggest planning improvement involves removing a ton of the red tape that it takes to get anything done in both City of LA and LA county. If Mayor V decided that tomorrow he was going to make the permiting process go from 90-150 days to 10-30 i think you would see a boom in buisnesses here. That combined with a simplification of city tax code (where do i fall this year depends on whos dice are being rolled) and a law banning the city from changing your tax code and applying it retroactively and i think you have a massive boom to the local economy. If that could be mimicked at the state level as well, forget about the CA dragging economy
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #50
pesto

LAMB: The state legislature and LA City Council will probably stay (effectively) strongly democrat so minimum chance of that happening. But you do have one choice: Meg or Jerry.
Old May 25th, 2010, 03:22 AM   #51
LosAngelesMetroBoy

meg whitman: slash the budget in some places and increase spending elsewhere, effective debt redution 0

Jerry brown: increase the budget and increase taxes, deficit reduction 0.

I choose neither. CAn i choose neither and have a revote with new canadates?
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #52
pesto

yes; you can also annoint yourself the chosen one and rule from your splendid palace on a mount.
Old May 27th, 2010, 06:45 AM   #53
LosAngelesMetroBoy

really.... but first i need a palace, and a mt that wont slide into a valley with a good rain.....

ill get back to you
Old July 29th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #54
klamedia
Silver Lake

Antonio R. Villaraigosa: A blueprint for reinventing city planning in Los Angeles
By Antonio R. Villaraigosa

The Daily News challenged Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa to tackle a number of issues in his final three years in office. This is the mayor's response to Sunday's Master Plan L.A., the first in a series of editorials laying out the issues the Daily News believes he should address.

MY vision for Los Angeles is a city of elegant density surrounded by transit corridors, green streets, sustainable neighborhoods, thriving small businesses and a quality of life that is the envy of the nation.

However, the city of Los Angeles is still in the middle of a recession and suffering from one of the highest unemployment rates in the country. The leaner economy means that we have to do more with less, but we remain undeterred by any obstacle to success.

Powered by our boundless ambition, we have set the bar high to create a new urban paradigm that will yield the best quality of life for our residents. The Planning Department - the steward of land use decision-making in Los Angeles - plays a critical role in making this progressive vision become a reality while also creating the jobs needed to power the local economy and steer the city back toward recovery.

To guide the city's growth in this area, the Planning Department, under the leadership of its new director, Michael LoGrande, will focus on four main initiatives:

1. Linking community plans with the 30/10 Initiative to achieve the vision of elegant density around transit.

The centerpiece of my effort to make Los Angeles communities more livable, while creating jobs and improving air quality is the 30/10 Initiative. This plan would build the 12 voter-approved Measure R transit projects in 10 years instead of 30. It would double the L.A. County rail system and, if we are successful in securing funding, could transform Los Angeles from the "car capital of the world" to a transit-rich metropolis.

Therefore, the focus of community planning in Los Angeles must be shifted to support and create transit-oriented developments and corridors. We will have to craft community plans that preserve the unique characteristics of our neighborhoods, while facilitating good architecture and smart growth principles.

And of course, we will seek feedback from the residents of Los Angeles on how they want their community to look for generations to come.

2. Streamlining and make transparent the development process to grow the economy.

To provide the level of public service our residents need and deserve, a strong economy is essential - and that means making Los Angeles a more attractive place to do business. To accomplish this, we will need to update the city's antiquated zoning regulations, streamline processes to eliminate much of the bureaucratic red tape, and maximize our resources by having our departments that deal with economic development work together more. My No. 1 job for the Planning Department will be reforming the development review process to re-prioritize city government to bring new and better jobs to Los Angeles.

3. Strengthening code enforcement to protect the quality of life in our neighborhoods.

Los Angeles is a collection of distinct, diverse, multicultural and multilingual neighborhoods. Our city already has laws in place that are intended to protect the quality of life in these neighborhoods; however, we need better enforcement of these laws to hold certain parties accountable. To remedy this, I have directed the Planning Department to partner with its sister agency, the Department of Building and Safety, to improve the process of eradicating nuisances and strengthening enforcement of existing land use, zoning and building codes.

4. Promoting sustainable and environmentally sensitive development.

All major cities across the globe face a similar challenge: How to grow in a way that is sustainable and protects the environment for the next generation. The city of Los Angeles has some of the most progressive green building laws in the nation because we believe that sustainable development must be central to all land-use decisions in Los Angeles. This means green building, water conservation, abundant landscaping and energy efficiency must be part of all new development in both our commercial districts and residential neighborhoods.

Antonio Villaraigosa is mayor of Los Angeles.
Old July 29th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #55
pesto

Mostly great in theory, but haven't we heard this before?

Where's education reform on this list?

Number 3 is too vague to tell what he's driving at. Car radios? Noise? Derelects and drug users? Disrepaired buildings? etc.

Number 4 is not a priority or even a plan, it's just political babbling about what already exists. How does more landscaping connect to conservation? You want to be energy efficient anyway because it saves money. What's the take-away from this?
Old July 30th, 2010, 04:00 AM   #56
klamedia
Silver Lake

Always the cynic with no constructive counterpoints. You have offered absolutely nothing to build a dialogue upon once again. With every post "pest" your rhetoric is sounding more and more teabaggerish. If V is babbling you two would make nice bed mates.
Old August 25th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #57
Thundergod

Likes (Received): 35

All your ideas sounds good, yours and the mayor things.
But you have more choice to change something as we in Europe.
In the most countries here they're vote for a party and not for the person you like.
That is what you benefit...
You have more the choice to speak with you politiction as we can...
Thundergod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #58
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 477

-FUCK NIMBYs WE NEED TO EXPAND THE SUBWAY!!!
Or get some sort of monorail going
I don't like being on the bus for 2 hours to get somewhere I could take a car to in less than 20 minutes.
While other third-world countries are going places, us USAmericans are held back by few dozen that are 'afraid of unrich people walking on their sidewalks'

-**** PALM TREES
We need different types of trees para shade, etc... palm trees don't do shit other than dropping their leaves during Santa Ana wind storms.
It will also promote foot traffic
vs image hosted on flickr
flickr

-ENFORCE ETHNIC SIGNS TO HAVE SOME SORT ENGLISH!!!
Please do not only cater to "your own kind", racist ****.

Last edited by Imperfect Ending; August 26th, 2010 at 10:37 AM.
Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 03:12 AM   #59
croyboy

Likes (Received): 319

but i like palm trees!! and that last picture looks cool! if only there was that much business everywhere here instead of blank cement walls

nick.english.dept liked this post
croyboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #60
klamedia
Silver Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfect Ending View Post
-FUCK NIMBYs WE NEED TO EXPAND THE SUBWAY!!!
Or get some sort of monorail going
I don't like being on the bus for 2 hours to get somewhere I could take a car to in less than 20 minutes.
While other third-world countries are going places, us USAmericans are held back by few dozen that are 'afraid of unrich people walking on their sidewalks'

-**** PALM TREES
We need different types of trees para shade, etc... palm trees don't do shit other than dropping their leaves during Santa Ana wind storms.
It will also promote foot traffic
vs image hosted on flickr
flickr

-ENFORCE ETHNIC SIGNS TO HAVE SOME SORT ENGLISH!!!
Please do not only cater to "your own kind", racist ****.
Whoa!!!!
What have you been injecting lately? Your track marks must be ferocious by now.
1)First and you know this, that we are studying and collecting public input that will be decided upon next year to further the Purple Line underneath Wilshire. We are also building an addt'l 2 other LRT projects which are Expo and Foothill. On top of that Mayor V is pushing "his" 30/10 plan and now even Sen. Barbara Boxer is on board making this part of her legacy as well. So more attention is being given to transit in LA than I believe ever before in its history.

2) Palm trees are not native to this area but neither are some of those huge water hungry trees that you showed in that pic above. Haven't you noticed that it rains like only twice a year here? This isn't and hasn't been for at least the last 10,000 years the leafy green paradise heaven on Earth. I would suggest that if you want that much foliage and shade move to a rainforest.

3) Having signs in Korean or Spanish or Armenian is not racist. It may be ethnocentric but it's not racist, repeat not racist. A "racist" is a person that believes his/her "race" is superior to others. "Racism" is the action one takes to further that thought like making others sit at the rear of the bus or stand up so that you can sit down. Enacting zoning laws or restrictive covenants that deliberately exclude a race or a class of people that may be associated with a particular race. Having a President as in the example of both President Lincoln and Jefferson say that they believe that Negroes are inferior to Whites and will do everything in their power to uphold that superior and inferior relationship. That's racism! And I could go on with many more examples of how this country has been racist and how racism is institutionalized into the system whereinwhich it's almost impossible to bleed out at this point short of creating a revolution and starting over.

With that said I enjoy seeing the Korean signs in Koreatown and the Thai signs in Thai Town. Since their exists no official language for the US I think these people have every right to put up signs in any language they so please. That last picture is actually beautiful to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement