Bus Lines in The Philippines - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure

Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure » Airports and Aviation | Railways | Highways and Roadways | Maritime | Urban Planning

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 27th, 2004, 06:45 AM   #21
pau_p1
Proud to be Filipino

Likes (Received): 1038

card readers on buses?... nahh.... that would be very hard... first they have to remove many buses... and they have to make very strict bus stops..... and because Manila buses become too crowded to like Indian trains with people outside the doors... card readers are hard....

bus stops are hard to implement here because there are 10-20 buses stop at a single bus stop at a time here... dami kasi nila ehh...

but then it's still a good idea....
pau_p1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2004, 07:04 AM   #22
renell
Here Since 2002

Likes (Received): 10

card readers are a brilliant idea. most buses in singapore, europe etc. have those. but like pau said it will be hard to implement.

the best idea would be a "day pass" for MRT/LRT lines and buses that want to join it.
Old September 27th, 2004, 07:19 AM   #23
ewh1
Red Hot.

Likes (Received): 93

Well the good thing is that No more seperate Bus terminals for the Companies just 2 Big Intermodular Stations for the north and south

By CLAUDETH MOCON
TODAY Correspondent

The construction of the Northern Traffic Terminal in Quezon City, which will be the main transportation center in Northern Metro Manila, will start next week and its completion is expected to solve the traffic problem and boost the economy of the metropolis.

Chairman Bayani Fernando of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Sunday said the government agencies agreed to demolish their buildings that squat in the 6,800 square-meter property where the P200-million intermodal terminal project where terminals of buses, cabs, FX taxis and private vehicles will be put up near the Metro Rail Transit station at the corner of EDSA and North Avenue.

The project will include the construction of footbridges, loading and unloading bays, and comfort rooms.

Around P27 million will be spent for the footbridges in the area to connect the terminal to a shopping mall and the MRT station.

Once completed the area will be a terminal for provincial buses bound for northern Luzon and a main hub for FX taxis and cabs for passengers.

Fernando said MMDA traffic enforcers will control pedestrians and motorists to improve traffic.

“The place would be a major stopover for our commuters and this would be a good opportunity for consumer traffic for there is a plan to build a mall in the area,” he said.

He said the intermodal terminal will improve transportation and will attract more business opportunities in Northern Metro Manila.

Fernando said the intermodal terminal will be rushed to be operational before the Christmas shopping rush that usually aggravates traffic along EDSA.

He hopes that the start of the construction of the [intermodal terminal project will force the offices of Department of Public Works and Highways-Region 4, National Irrigation Administration, National Printing Office, and National Economic Development Authority and a portion of the office of the Social Security System to vacate the area.

A memorandum of agreement was signed on September 10 by the MMDA and the North Triangle Depot Commercial Corp., owned by the Ayala Group, which will construct parking lots and a shopping mall adjacent to the intermodal terminal and the MRT station.

Fernando said once the intermodal terminal is operational more than 5,000 provincial buses will be prevented from picking up passengers along EDSA.The MMDA plans to use colorful spray paints to mark colorum buses that do not have permits from by the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board and defy the ban.

MMDA officials said the agency will implement the Organized Bus Route (OBR) program again along EDSA before December. The OBR was introduced by Fernando last year.

As part of the reimplementation of the OBR, all buses will be checked if they have an OBR sticker distributed to the legal bus operators.

If a bus doesn’t have an OBR sticker then the driver will be asked to get a permit from the LTFRB or the vehicle will be declared a colorum bus.

Once the campaign is implemented, the MMDA believe traffic congestion caused by colorum buses will be reduced.

The fine of colorum buses is P1,000 and P5,000 for the driver and operator including a three-month suspension and confiscation of the license plates and the driver’s license.

If the vehicle continue to operate and be apprehended again, the driver will pay P1,000, his license will be revoked and operator will pay P5,000 but this time the bus will be impounded.
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2004, 07:25 AM   #24
stephencua
resident web developer

Likes (Received): 1

i wonder when this plan will be implemented? hopefully within the term of PGMA.. cuz i think within the year is too soon.. you know how people here are.. too many know-it-alls who cant think of the bigger picture.. oh yeah, i think the success of the CMG fueled buses would also depend on the fuel conglomerates.. they have to provide filling stations for these alternative fuels..

well, lets just wait and see..
stephencua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 07:43 AM   #25
renell
Here Since 2002

during GMA's term is a very general timeline. if we were to narrow it, i'd say 2-3 years.
Old September 27th, 2004, 07:49 AM   #26
ron_guevara

Likes (Received): 0

I really hope the CNG bus plan becomes realized soon.

I've lost count of how many old buses and jeeps I have reported for smoke belching via the "Text USOK" scheme of ABSCBN. It will save me P2 whenever I report one.

Visit the Philippines forums!
ron_guevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 07:58 AM   #27
renell
Here Since 2002

tell me about this Text USOK thing...
Old September 27th, 2004, 08:55 AM   #28
ron_guevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by renell
tell me about this Text USOK thing...
It's a citizens watch program sponsored by ABS-CBN. Whenever you see a smoke-belching vehicle you just use you mobile phone's SMS and key in

USOK {plate number} {location sighted} {any further identification}

i.e. USOK UFS502 skyway gray land cruiser

and send to 2366. I do this on Globe, I don't know if it works on Smart or other networks.

You can also report online or by phone.

Any vehicle reported 5 or more times is automatically reported to the Land Transportation Office (LTO) and summoned by them for investigation.

You can find further information at http://www.bantayusok.com.

It's something any of us urbanites can do to help reduce our air pollution problem.

Old September 27th, 2004, 10:21 AM   #29
pau_p1
Proud to be Filipino

hmmm.... TXT USOK... hmmm... I have been a constant texter to this especially when we are plying Commonwealth Ave and EDSA... but then until now, I never heard of any report of a belching vehicle impounded or fined.... and pollution gets worse... I feel like I'm wasting my P1....
Old September 27th, 2004, 10:44 AM   #30
ron_guevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by pau_p1
hmmm.... TXT USOK... hmmm... I have been a constant texter to this especially when we are plying Commonwealth Ave and EDSA... but then until now, I never heard of any report of a belching vehicle impounded or fined.... and pollution gets worse... I feel like I'm wasting my P1....
There are statistics on the website on how many vehicles have been reported and reprimanded by the MMDA and the LTO. Look here

Old September 27th, 2004, 10:56 AM   #31
pau_p1
Proud to be Filipino

hmmm... ok... well.. maybe there's just very few texters... or its just that there are more and more vehicles are allowed on the road everyday....
Old September 27th, 2004, 11:16 AM   #32
mhe-ann
Federer Express!!!

Is that the same program w/c was endorsed before by Noli de Castro? (he was at the Senate that time).

Last edited by mhe-ann; September 27th, 2004 at 11:55 AM.
mhe-ann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 11:38 AM   #33
ron_guevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by pau_p1
hmmm... ok... well.. maybe there's just very few texters... or its just that there are more and more vehicles are allowed on the road everyday....
I think it may be both. The number of cases reprimanded by the LTO could be low because a vehicle needs to be reported 5 times before any action is taken. I think this is to deter people from using the system as a means of harassing vehicle owners.

To save on the texting cost, maybe one can use the web interface. Though that means one has to write the plate numbers down as soon as he/she is "smoked" by a vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhe-ann
Is that the same program w/c was endorsed before by Noli de Castro (he was at the Senate that time).
I don't know, but it could be, knowing that Noli De Castro was originally from ABS-CBN.

Old September 27th, 2004, 02:04 PM   #34
thomasian

Likes (Received): 3914

Wow, the intermodal station at EDSA North Ave. will be an assurance that the long delayed Ayala North Triangle Mall will be built because there will be increased pedestrian traffic in that area.
Old September 27th, 2004, 03:49 PM   #35
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 30

Sweet...great news on the new buses. I agree with boybaha, on the importance of CNG powered buses. I just said a few weeks ago somewhere in this forum that we need to use cleaner powered mass transportation, i guess the govt was listening Glad they are doing this change. Plus those buses look great, especially the MAN buses
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 02:39 AM   #36
pau_p1
Proud to be Filipino

yeah an intermodal terminal would be a great idea... this will lessen bus traffic on the rest of EDSA from North Ave to Pasay...
Old September 28th, 2004, 02:42 AM   #37
renell
Here Since 2002

i think i've asked this before, with no reply, but where is the other intermodal station? or will there only be one in North EDSA?
Old September 28th, 2004, 02:51 AM   #38
pau_p1
Proud to be Filipino

yeah... where would the other Big Transmodal terminal?... well... maybe for now it would be in the North Triangle... and I'd guess the other one would be somewhere in Pasay... probably near the Magallanes interchange...

anyways... long ago i've read of the Cubao Redevelopment program in parallel with the 20 year redevelopment of the Araneta Center... it said before that all bus terminals in Cubao along EDSA will be relocated in somewhere within Cubao.. I think going in New York Street....I'm not sure if this is still a go.. or not...
Old September 28th, 2004, 02:55 AM   #39
renell
Here Since 2002

wouldn't it be in BGC?
Old September 28th, 2004, 03:02 AM   #40
absent-minded

nice buses!! can't imagine them roaming around in metro manila... they look too nice. hehe... but yeah, I hope it does help clean up the air. the Bantay Usok thing sounds like a really good program though....

anyway, the other intermodal facility will probably be put up at the southern end of EDSA, like pau has said. that'd be pretty cool though, once everything is completed!! you take a bus from northern luzon, go down NLEX, get off at the intermodal station in North Edsa, take the MRT-3 down to the other intermodal facility, then take the SLEX to the south. makes it so much easier. kind of an improvisation until this route can be taken by rail entirely...! that'll be the day... haha...

i hope those footbridges aren't gonna be the pink and blue ones the MMDA's been putting up though... hehe... I mean, they look fine sprouting up every few hundred meters, but not when they're all stuck together. I loved the design of the overhead pedestrian footbridges they have in Bangkok. they created technically overhead plazas, but they didn't look like they were cluttering up the area. and they can get you to and from a multitude of various points. I hope that's how this thing turns out to be. and it should connect the North Edsa MRT station, the intermodal, SM North Edsa, and the North Triangle Mall...
absent-minded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement