ECOWAS: Morocco admitted "in principle", Tunisia observer, Mauritania association rejected should ask for readmission - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > General Forums > Business, Economy and Infrastructure

Business, Economy and Infrastructure Our architecture, infrastructure, transport, economy and other related discussions

Old June 7th, 2017, 12:50 AM   #81
Iazzouzi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4618

del

Last edited by Iazzouzi; June 7th, 2017 at 09:01 AM.
Iazzouzi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2017, 04:02 AM   #82
Rdokoye
I'm The King

Likes (Received): 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by blabliblablou View Post
Ohhh! Great, you have super powers! You can see the future!
I say 90% chance morocco is joining! And the 10% remaining depend on Morocco not ECOWAS...
If you're not sure on whether or not you'd like to join ECOWAS why submit an application?

The national leaders of the various ECOWAS nations haven't even considered the ramifications of having a North African country in ECOWAS, and it looks like we'll have to wait to at least December before any decision is made.

Admitting Morocco into ECOWAS will effectively end the union. The single currency policy will be a problem, especially for Morocco, the religious element another problem. Free movement of peoples may also be a problem. Morocco not being a democracy and the fact that it's not in West Africa, would mean ECOWAS is no longer ECOWAS. You can't call it the economic community of West African states, when not all the states in the economic community are West African.

That was the main reason why Chad was not admitted into the union. It wasn't for any other reason.
I still believe that the one thing that will bring peace, absolute peace, to this country, the type of peace we want attached to development, is to liberate Ndi Igbo and there is no better act of liberation than accepting that they have equal right in Nigeria.

~ Emeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, Ikemba
Rdokoye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 05:42 AM   #83
DepressedAli
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyumba View Post
So all you can say is a praise to his diction?

Al Baghdadi is a Caliph, Mohammed VI wants to be the same, that Northern Nigerian Imam is gladly playing along. This is how Moroccan educated Imams will be expected to act?

Nigerians deserve to know what's happening, Buhari is handing over the half of the country to a foreign power and this is worse than Boko Haram.
DepressedAli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2017, 10:44 AM   #84
dakhla

Likes (Received): 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekema View Post
Nigeria hasn't been around 1000 years so the information will be false
that why I told you to get a translator he sais it use to be called west sudan and it include mali and other part of west Africa. and yes he said that haousa was created from berber Arabic and native language of the area, he even talked about the traditional dress that is still use today because befor that people were naked (we are talking about 11 century).

he said also that canu I don't know if I spell it right or still exist today was run by a (Nigerian for location) king who was schooled in morocco and had Moroccan adviser and he gave all the detail with names and documentation and it was the center of business and education in the area ..... source is European writer who was impress by the organization when Europe was in dark ages.

for the other who was talking about slave. he said while our brothers were sold to the west in the 16 century Moroccan schools were open to west African and gave name of people who left good books and who built the judiciary system ......

and for this doctor, his Arabic is better than 90% of intellectuals in the arab world from Iraq to morocco.

all those information came from books that were writing for centuries and any researcher can go back to, mostly Moroccan writer and west African writers and European writer from that time.

that the history you like it or not. our region didn't start in the 20 century.

Last edited by dakhla; June 7th, 2017 at 11:00 AM.
dakhla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 10:44 AM   #85
Muttie

Likes (Received): 1402

Good for Africa, economic integration is what the continent needs.
Muttie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 11:52 AM   #86
marokko

Likes (Received): 735

As long as Morocco tries to get away from Middle-East politics, I think it is a great idea. Indeed a good step for African integration.

Genbank liked this post
marokko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 04:56 PM   #87
mekon

Likes (Received): 1272

Quote:
Originally Posted by marokko View Post
As long as Morocco tries to get away from Middle-East politics, I think it is a great idea. Indeed a good step for African integration.
I agree but it would be better for Africa if Morocco embraced a meaningful union of north African states instead of trying to shoehorn its way into ECOWAS.

Umoja liked this post
mekon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 05:00 PM   #88
HerachioBlo

Likes (Received): 5059

What exactly is the issue with Morocco being in Ecowas? What did they do wrong? Is it because they're in 'north africa'?

I've seen allusions to terrorism, which is hilarious because if you look at morocco's track record, then check Nigeria and Mali, it's almost a joke. Even this nonsense about creating a caliphate is stupid. There's an actual caliphate in Nigeria

sponcer_cv, Genbank, marokko, Muttie liked this post
HerachioBlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 05:07 PM   #89
Rdokoye
I'm The King

Likes (Received): 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakhla View Post
that why I told you to get a translator he sais it use to be called west sudan and it include mali and other part of west Africa. and yes he said that haousa was created from berber Arabic and native language of the area, he even talked about the traditional dress that is still use today because befor that people were naked (we are talking about 11 century).

he said also that canu I don't know if I spell it right or still exist today was run by a (Nigerian for location) king who was schooled in morocco and had Moroccan adviser and he gave all the detail with names and documentation and it was the center of business and education in the area ..... source is European writer who was impress by the organization when Europe was in dark ages.

for the other who was talking about slave. he said while our brothers were sold to the west in the 16 century Moroccan schools were open to west African and gave name of people who left good books and who built the judiciary system ......

and for this doctor, his Arabic is better than 90% of intellectuals in the arab world from Iraq to morocco.

all those information came from books that were writing for centuries and any researcher can go back to, mostly Moroccan writer and west African writers and European writer from that time.

In Northern Nigeria you had several empires, you had the Fulani Empire, which came later, but originally you had the Hausa States and in the North Eastern region, you had the Kanem–Bornu Empire.

The language (Hausa), I’d imagine was infused from Arabic due to the adoption of the Arab faith (Islam), which occurred after the Arab’s conquered North Africa and took control of the Trans-Sahara Trade routes. Conversion was voluntary and up until the 1800s, most West Africans still practiced their traditional faiths, it wasn’t until Europeans arrived that many West Africans started to adopt Islam wholesale; I guess as a countermeasure to Christianity.

You have to understand that Southern Nigerians have absolutely NO ties to the history of the Hausa and Fulani people.

I’ve NEVER heard of any Europeans travelling to the Sahel region, only the Southern coastal regions. Many coastal West Africans had ties with the West, prior to the transatlantic slave trade. The Benin Empire had ties with Portugal, with emissaries living in both nations. The Kingdom of Dahomey had ties with Europeans, so much so, that one of the Queens of Dahomey was European Royalty.

The judiciary system in Nigeria is built on the British judiciary system. Any systems (and there would have been many) that were there originally, were abolished.
I still believe that the one thing that will bring peace, absolute peace, to this country, the type of peace we want attached to development, is to liberate Ndi Igbo and there is no better act of liberation than accepting that they have equal right in Nigeria.

~ Emeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, Ikemba

ekema, Umoja liked this post
Rdokoye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 05:47 PM   #90
Genbank
Been there

Likes (Received): 3361

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerachioBlo View Post
What exactly is the issue with Morocco being in Ecowas? What did they do wrong? Is it because they're in 'north africa'?

I've seen allusions to terrorism, which is hilarious because if you look at morocco's track record, then check Nigeria and Mali, it's almost a joke. Even this nonsense about creating a caliphate is stupid. There's an actual caliphate in Nigeria
Thank god there are still sane people here!
Genbank no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 05:49 PM   #91
Genbank
Been there

Quote:
Originally Posted by marokko View Post
I totally agree on that aspect.

Morocco is African and not middle-eastern, and we should distance ourselves from all the middle-eastern craziness.
Old June 7th, 2017, 05:56 PM   #92
ekema

Likes (Received): 6045

Quote:

They had relations with a state that predates nigeria. None of which makes them our west African brothers. They're still our North Africans brother's. Nothing wrong with that but this union is for west Africans

Why would the Arabic you find in Hausa Matter? Is Morocco the conduit for Arabic in africa ? Swahili has elements of Arabiic. Should east africa now join the EAC
ekema no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 06:19 PM   #93
Umoja

Likes (Received): 7571

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerachioBlo View Post
What exactly is the issue with Morocco being in Ecowas? What did they do wrong?
Moroccans are not West African people ...ECOWAS is for West African people...its an economic community for West African people...

Plus Morocco wouldn't agree with the one currency project of ECOWAS nor free movement of people...

There are no monarchy in ECOWAS... Morocco is a monarchy
Umoja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 06:25 PM   #94
Genbank
Been there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umoja View Post
Moroccans are not West African people ...ECOWAS is for West African people...its an economic community for West African people...

Plus Morocco wouldn't agree with the one currency project of ECOWAS nor free movement of people...

There are no monarchy in ECOWAS... Morocco is a monarchy
Just stick to your first argument.

The other two that you've just made up are lame...
Old June 7th, 2017, 07:05 PM   #95
nubiana

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdokoye View Post
In Northern Nigeria you had several empires, you had the Fulani Empire, which came later, but originally you had the Hausa States and in the North Eastern region, you had the Kanem–Bornu Empire.

The language (Hausa), I’d imagine was infused from Arabic due to the adoption of the Arab faith (Islam), which occurred after the Arab’s conquered North Africa and took control of the Trans-Sahara Trade routes. Conversion was voluntary and up until the 1800s, most West Africans still practiced their traditional faiths, it wasn’t until Europeans arrived that many West Africans started to adopt Islam wholesale; I guess as a countermeasure to Christianity.

You have to understand that Southern Nigerians have absolutely NO ties to the history of the Hausa and Fulani people.

I’ve NEVER heard of any Europeans travelling to the Sahel region, only the Southern coastal regions. Many coastal West Africans had ties with the West, prior to the transatlantic slave trade. The Benin Empire had ties with Portugal, with emissaries living in both nations. The Kingdom of Dahomey had ties with Europeans, so much so, that one of the Queens of Dahomey was European Royalty.

The judiciary system in Nigeria is built on the British judiciary system. Any systems (and there would have been many) that were there originally, were abolished.

Quote:
Songhai empire, also spelled Songhay, great trading state of West Africa (fl. 15th–16th century), centred on the middle reaches of the Niger River in what is now central Mali and eventually extending west to the Atlantic coast and east into Niger and Nigeria.
https://www.britannica.com/place/Songhai-empire
nubiana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 08:16 PM   #96
Hadrami
*Free Agent*

Likes (Received): 3424

Quote:
dude is a liar

check out:The African Sahel thread

Iazzouzi liked this post
Hadrami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 08:16 PM   #97
sponcer_cv

Likes (Received): 1678

Umoja, why do you care? Aren't you congolese?
sponcer_cv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 10:10 PM   #98
Umoja

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponcer_cv View Post
Umoja, why do you care?
Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponcer_cv View Post
Aren't you congolese?
Yes, i am
Old June 7th, 2017, 10:21 PM   #99
Umoja

[QUOTE=Genbank;140513975]
The other two that you've just made up are lame...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genbank View Post
+1

A union needs common interests between its members, and that's impossible with their current regime. An Ecowas union makes much more sense for Morocco, but will a SSA union open to a NA country...?

Morocco may become like what the UK was for the EU, being in but imposing some conditions:

- Free travel...that would mean 300 million Ecowas nationals being able to take a flight to Casablanca or Tangier with their passeport. Would we accept it? (More importantly, would the EU accept it?)

- Would a single Ecowas currency be accepted by Moroccans, knowing that even if Dirham is not a strong currency, it's still much more strong than FCFA or the Naira... And losing the ability to control our own currency could be catastrophic for our debt! (Europe needed one weak link "Greece" to get in 2008 crisis)

- A single passeport for a Nigerian, a Moroccan and a Sierra leonese?

We all know how it ended for the UK...

My opinion is that an advanced partnership with Ecowas without being member or a negociated membership (incl. the conditions I've mentionned...) would be more suitable.
Old June 7th, 2017, 11:28 PM   #100
sponcer_cv

Likes (Received): 1678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umoja View Post
Why not?

Yes, i am
It does not affect you or you country, it's not your buisness.

Why are you putting so much effort into this?
sponcer_cv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement