The New NFL Stadium in Inglewood - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Los Angeles

Los Angeles » Development News | Transportation | Greater L.A. Area

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 8th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #61
Saiholmes

Likes (Received): 5352

too expensive.
Saiholmes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2008, 05:11 AM   #62
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

^ Too expensive? We can build a simpler stadium in Downtown for far less than the cost of this glossed up theme park.
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #63
Saiholmes

1. LA doesn't have money 2. You don't have money 3. You better trust someone who was listed on Forbes 500 beacuse of the real estate. Hah hah!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #64
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 2044

I'm not in the habit of checking up on what others are doing to further their sports standing, but a Cowboys stadium was mentioned towards the end of their game w/Cleveland today. A "1 billion plus" stadium, as it was stated. So, I looked it up and found a site that said 'New Dallas Cowboy's Stadium" and found this render...
Dallas Cowboys
I think this is the stadium that moves the field outside so the grass can have sun, then moves it back on game day.
Sure enough, here it is...
jack/picassa

Last edited by milquetoast; September 8th, 2008 at 11:04 AM.
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #65
Saiholmes

not every team can have a stadium like this.
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #66
vahebaronian
Farmers Field - Git-R-Dun

Likes (Received): 2

Much like many team stadiums in the NFL...The Stadium will not be built in the actual city. It is being built in Arlington, tx..Which is 22 miles outside Dallas.
vahebaronian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #67
vahebaronian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
^ Too expensive? We can build a simpler stadium in Downtown for far less than the cost of this glossed up theme park.
Sure it can be built in Downtown..But the Coliseum Commission..Would fight very hard to block it from being built.
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #68
vahebaronian

Nice Article, that helps explain a bit why we dont have a NFL Team

KRIKORIAN: Another season without the NFL
By Doug Krikorian, Sports Columnist
Article Launched: 09/06/2008 11:51:07 PM PDT

It's still strange, weird, bizarre, a nonsensical phenomenon on the American sporting scene, a capitalistic aberration.

Oh, I know I should be used to it now that 13 seasons have passed since the Rams and Raiders lammed it out of the vicinity, leaving the five-county Southland (L.A., Riverside, Orange, Ventura, San Bernardino and Orange) with a population of more than 17.6 million without an NFL franchise.

I know I should just accept such a vacuum silently, and look at its bright side, as I no longer have to spend my Sunday afternoons at a crowded stadium in L.A. or Anaheim chronicling the odysseys of the Rams and Raiders, which I did for so many years.

I now can watch all the NFL games on my DirecTV package in the tranquil comfort of my living room, and not have to worry about quotes, deadlines, angles and all the other delightful imperatives involved in covering a live athletic event for a newspaper.

Still, it's a scandalous embarrassment that the second-largest metropolitan area in America - behind only New York - still doesn't have an NFL team representing it as another season commences in full swing today.

We have two Major League baseball teams, the Dodgers and Angels, two NBA teams, the Lakers and Clippers, two NHL teams, the Kings and Ducks, and two MLS teams, the Galaxy and Chivas, in our midst, but no professional football team other than the Avengers, who play a pinball style of the sport inside the Staples Center.

How can this be?

How can places like Green Bay, or Jacksonville, or Buffalo, or Tampa, or New Orleans, or Nashville have NFL teams - and we don't despite having a far greater population, far greater weather, far greater financial resources, far greater corporate entities?

There are a number of reasons, foremost of which the L.A. politicians have stumbled and bumbled over one another in preventing the construction of a modern new stadium that by now would have lured an NFL team back to these parts.

You might recall after Al Davis returned the Raiders to Oakland after the 1994 season in what in retrospect might have been the worst financial miscalculation since the Lenape Indians handed over the island of Manhattan to the Dutch in 1626 for some worthless beads and 60 guilders (about $1,000), the L.A. politicians decided in their infinite wisdom to play hardball with the NFL, figuring the league would crumble without a team anchored in the entertainment capital of the world.

Such arrogance turned out to be laughable, as the NFL not only has survived nicely all these years without L.A. but has had its greatest period of prosperity during the span.

We, of course, have survived without the NFL, too, just as we would survive if, say, the Dodgers and Angels, departed the scene.

But at what cost?

An entire generation of youngsters have grown up around here without their parents taking them to NFL games, as my father often did when I was a kid in what was a sporting rite of passage for me.

I'll never forget the first time I watched the Rams play the 49ers at Kezar Stadium in San Francisco, or the first time I watched the same two teams battle it out at the Coliseum.

The games forged an athletic interest in me that would dramatically impact my life, and the memories I have of watching such iconic figures like Y.A. Tittle, Joe Perry, John Henry Johnson, Norm Van Brocklin, Deacon Dan Towler, Paul (Tank) Younger, Elroy Hirsch and all the other luminaries on those teams stick with me to this day.

The Southland was once a prime NFL area that strongly supported both the Raiders and Rams - and I'm sure it would again if the NFL should return.

When will that happen?

No one knows.

The real estate developer, Ed Roski, says he has the property and resources to build a 70,000-seat stadium in the City of Industry - and plans to do it in the near future.

And this is a cloying recording I've heard too many times across the years of empty promises and false hopes.

Remember, Michael Ovitz was going to do the same thing a while back in Carson.

And Peter O'Malley was once seriously considering building a football stadium in Chavez Ravine, until he, characteristically, cowered in the wake of veiled threats from the L.A. politicians, who sternly reminded him that their beloved heap of antiquated junk, the Coliseum, still commanded top NFL priority.

Every year you hear about a proposed stadium deal around here, then, suddenly, the fanciful plan vanishes.

How did the L.A. basin become NFL barren?

Well, the late Rams' owner, Georgia Frontiere, mismanaged the team into a losing proposition, and one didn't exactly shed a tear when she took all the goodies the Missouri politicians offered her to lure the Rams to St. Louis.

Al Davis left because he got in a snit over all those broken promises by the L.A. politicians to build him luxury suites at the Coliseum, and just couldn't resist that low-interest $34 million loan gifted him by the Oakland politicians even though at the time Hollywood Park was on the threshold of building him a new stadium in Inglewood.

Mr. Davis allowed his petty vanity to get the better of him, and has regretted it to this day, knowing his Raiders would have had the entire L.A. area to themselves instead of being stuck in a second-class city in a Bay Area in which the 49ers still command greater attention and corporate support than Davis' financially challenged team.

Anyway, the football season is upon us again, and once again we have only USC and UCLA to sate our football appetites, which isn't bad.

But it would be nice to also have an NFL team in our midst, which might happen sometime in the 21st century and, alas, might not.

Last edited by vahebaronian; September 8th, 2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:24 AM   #69
VZN
Caleuphoria

Likes (Received): 138

I remember reading another article either a few months back or sometime last year that said the exact same thing that this article is saying: L.A. politicians are one of, if not THE biggest, obstacle that L.A. has regarding a return to the NFL.

WTF? And I never knew that certain L.A. politicians were against building the Staples Center. WTF is wrong with these people? We can't bitch about anything when it's your own people preventing your city from becoming a sports mecca.
VZN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #70
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

I can bitch!
And I can bitch about locations and local politicians and pricetags and such. I can bitch about the local sports and business environments and I can bitch about representation. City of Industry is a bad business proposition. Why do I think so? Because the area is not indicative of local interest. Much like the saying of old of Oakland; "there's no there there." It won't be a gathering place that can support itself without those games.
Now there's alot to be said of building on the periphery, and the Patriots play in the woods, but 22 miles outside of Dallas in Irvine is not the same as 22 miles out of downtown L. A. Inglewood and Carson are out there too, but then again, they're not in the middle of nowhere like Irvine may have been when the Cowboys chose Irvine.
Dallas' image IS the Cowboys, wherever they play!
City of Industry might as well be Barstow to us.
Not every team can have a stadium like that one but other cities have chosen to invest in substantial projects, however they pay for them. We don't have a team, so it's safe to say that team Los Angeles should represent itself as a mature location. 800 mil ain't gona cut it! (200 million for the surrounding 'park', I'm sure!)
You know what's really dim? Providing a stadium in the South Park region would litter the area with people. People who can afford to drop a few bucks in any of the surrounding businesses springing up there. There would, of course, be other uses for the venue- just look at how other locations deal with it! Another missed opportunity.
Old September 10th, 2008, 03:17 AM   #71
Saiholmes

City of Industry is NOT in the middle of nowhere. Do some studies.
Old September 10th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #72
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

My grammar gets a little complicated but what I was trying to get across is City of Industry isn't in the middle of nowhere; I don't require any further study on Los Angeles.
City of Industry is a unique area of almost no consequence where Los Angeles is concerned and to have OUR representation being dictated by an area NOT representative of Los Angeles in general sucks- in my estimation.
22 miles out in most other cities means 'boonies', whereas in Los Angeles that doesn't even mean halfway across town. In the Dallas/Fort Worth 'metroplex', back in the 60's, Irvine might have been "..in the boonies." Comparing the wooded area where the Patriots play (have you seen it from satellite?) to 'Industry' is impossible.
The project is beneath us, it's our image being defined by few in a distant locale, and this complex, built into the dirt, may just be a visible joke from the freeway in the future. White elephant
Old September 10th, 2008, 06:53 AM   #73
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

get an avatar!
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:55 AM   #74
Saiholmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
get an avatar!
I don't like it.
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:01 AM   #75
Saiholmes

City of Industry is centrally located to the major population and economic hubs across the Greater Los Angeles region including Inland Empire and Orange County.
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:39 AM   #76
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

And Industry is not easily accessible from any of those areas.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #77
Saiholmes

Highways and Metrolink are good enough. For your information, The Dodger Trolley from Union Station to Dodger Stadium just started last month and still very little people use it.
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #78
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

The Dodgers are saying that 1500 people use it on average per game. And Metrolink to that station is not good enough. Look up the timetables for that line. One word: horrendous.

I don't see them seriously considering Metrolink as an option if they're providing 25,000 parking spots.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #79
Saiholmes

I guess 1,500 is a lot. But, it's more than I heard.
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #80
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Barstow is centrally located between Vegas and L. A.
Get an avatar you like
Sponsored Links
Advertisement