SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Cityscapes pictures of China in 981 B.C. The "Photo" which "taken" in the 9 century.

7K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  Joshua_du 
#1 · (Edited)
Cityscapes pictures of China in 981 A.D. The "Photo" which "taken" in the 9 century.

This spectacular picture was draw by Zhang Ze Duan( 张择端 ) in about 981 A.D. ,Chinese Song dynasty. The picture is huge,the height of the picture is 24.8cm,and the length is 528.7cm!!! It had use the most advanced technique and skill in that time ,It had show the cityscapes of Kai Feng City realistically,it can consider to be the earliest Cityscape "Photo" of China.
It is a significant reference for the researching of Chinese ancient periods .

The most commendable thing is that this picture had undergo innumerable wars and chaos,and went it all through from 9 century to today and still preserved completely,so we can actually "watch" the cityscape of the 9 century"s China by our own 21 century"s eyes!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Partials of the picture (uncomplete)

They unique "arched bridge" of China

In this picture shown the " drama stage",drama was the most popular entertainment of chinese pepole in the ancient time.

See less See more
#6 ·
loureed said:
There's a copy of the 5th picture hanging in my house.

Chinese cities have truly taken a step back in beauty and refinement.

The layout, relation to physical surroundings, and consistency above is sooo pleasing to the eye. :)
Chinese cities pretty much all looked like that until we were invaded by Europeans, Americans and Japanese. Later, China was further damaged due to the Chinese civil war. Finally, the Cultural Revolution added insult to injury.

#12 ·
Countless of chinese glorious culture had damaged by foreigner and chinese ourselve, i will have to say this is really a terrible,distressed tragedy to chinese,and to the world.

The chinese culture which chinese govenment is praising today,it actually ain"t the real chinese culture ,it is the dross from the Qing Dynasty,the bloody Qing culture,
but the theme and the essence of chinese culture is actually the Han culture for always.

Hope some day chinese people and goverment can realize that again,and once that be so ,that the chinese cultrue finally will be really attracting and resplendent again,unlike what they looks like today.

As a chinese,i am so anger and so sad!

#13 · (Edited)
I have heard so much about after Manchu came to China,damage and destroy,force Han to wear their clothes, cheong-sam is from this clothes,that's not Han traditional clothes but Manchu.Forbidden city was built by Han in Ming Dynasty,but was well known in Qing Dynasty,a Manchu Dynasty. So now there're a lot of people want to monumentalize the disappearing of Han traditional clothes,in fact,Qing Dynasty collapsed in 1911 and Republic of China founded,the most important power is Han nationalism,the first point of Sun Yat-Sen's thought is Han nationalism.
And Manchu is not like Mongolia, Ming built solid Great wall,Ming was not ruined by Manchu but itself,farmer revolution.A general of Ming--WuSanGui,in order to protect his lover,open Great wall and turned to Manchu,then Manchu came,at that time,farmer revolution didn't end.

#15 ·
bolyerly said:
But now Manchu had got in Han,in fact,there's nearly no difference between Han and Manchu,even consanguinity,culture,dress.
very different actually
the original han dress and building is similar to ancient japanese style, actually japanese copied it from the mainland more than 1000 years ago

#16 · (Edited)
silly thing said:
very different actually
the original han dress and building is similar to ancient japanese style, actually japanese copied it from the mainland more than 1000 years ago
I just said now,becasue Manchu forced Han to accept their culture and wearing,now there's no differences.Mongolia used to try race grade system,but collapsed soon(about 70 years) and suffered a great repay.So Manchu didn't try so.

#17 ·
Johnsons, I absolutely love you for posting Northern School style Song paintings in this forum. :)

A truly novel and beautiful idea.

A caveat nonetheless: although Northern School is apt to be more 'accurate' than Southern School (literati) painting, both are still idealizations to some extent.

It is nonetheless great to glimpse the ideal. ;)

#19 ·
tpe said:
Johnsons, I absolutely love you for posting Northern School style Song paintings in this forum. :)

A truly novel and beautiful idea.

A caveat nonetheless: although Northern School is apt to be more 'accurate' than Southern School (literati) painting, both are still idealizations to some extent.

It is nonetheless great to glimpse the ideal. ;)
Thank you for your "love"!
"still idealizations to some extent" certainly it is right,because it is art,but it do has some same function as photo.

If China has this kind of unique work of art ,i will not be stingy to show it off(hehe~~)
Because i really want people all over the world to know more about China,not just it"s nowaday,we know many already,but also it"s ancient times .

#26 ·
yes

Countless of chinese glorious culture had damaged by foreigner and chinese ourselve, i will have to say this is really a terrible,distressed tragedy to chinese,and to the world.

The chinese culture which chinese govenment is praising today,it actually ain"t the real chinese culture ,it is the dross from the Qing Dynasty,the bloody Qing culture,
but the theme and the essence of chinese culture is actually the Han culture for always.

Hope some day chinese people and goverment can realize that again,and once that be so ,that the chinese cultrue finally will be really attracting and resplendent again,unlike what they looks like today.

I cant agree more,sir!
So we must try our best to revive Han culture----------ture culture of china!

Hanfu(汉服,漢服)our national dress,hanfu forever:lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.