SEQ Olympic Games Bid - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Queensland > Everything else

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 11th, 2019, 11:33 AM   #41
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 5057

What about Brisbane Live?
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2019, 11:37 AM   #42
EnolaGray

Likes (Received): 1294

Brisbane Live can take place seperate to any new stadium development, it’s catering to a different market and requirement.

Best case scenario, by 2030 Brisbane has:
-Suncorp Stadium(Rectangular)
-Gabba(Rectangular)
-Bowen Hills(Oval)
-Brisbane Live

Perhaps the new aquatic centre could be built at Victoria Park with temporary stands to be dismantled after the games.

verbatim9 liked this post
EnolaGray no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 01:16 PM   #43
lofo2016

Likes (Received): 166

look im here for a new stadium as brisbane needs it for future events, but why not build the new stadiunm at Mt. Coot-tha look out, like image the wow factor in that!!!!!

lofo2016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 01:19 PM   #44
lofo2016

Likes (Received): 166

gabba stadium should be turn into this

michael_n_ liked this post
lofo2016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 11:43 PM   #45
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 12179

Ummm... The Gabba is the historical Brisbane base for Cricket (played there for 120 years) and also AFL, both games that require an oval field. Changing the Gabba to a rectangle would not go down well. May as well suggest changing Lang Park to an oval...

michael_n_, Orwell1, LeSnakk liked this post
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 11:57 PM   #46
KJBrissy

I am personally for the investigation of including a stadium at the redeveloped Victoria Park at the RNA end.
Old September 12th, 2019, 12:20 AM   #47
bribri

Likes (Received): 2013

Mayne rail yards are the obvious pick for a new stadium, no heritage issues, served by CRR and legacy lines, plenty of space. Perhaps they are keeping it quiet in case Trad starts buying properties around there

SoulvisionQ1, Brisvein, Walbanger liked this post
bribri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 12:35 AM   #48
Birkish Delight

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandavid88 View Post
Ummm... The Gabba is the historical Brisbane base for Cricket (played there for 120 years) and also AFL, both games that require an oval field. Changing the Gabba to a rectangle would not go down well. May as well suggest changing Lang Park to an oval...
I like the idea of converting the Gabba, but the cricket tragics would go into meltdown.

michael_n_, EnolaGray liked this post
Birkish Delight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 12:51 AM   #49
KJBrissy

However as I stated before, huge critical path risks and a requirement for significant extra projects. Whilst it's an option, I don't think it's a clear one.

When I mentioned Victoria Park at the RNA end, it would be about 700-800m from the new RNA station with a ped tunnel under Bowen Bridge Road (and the Busway obviously) with a ped bridge over the offramp from the ICB which is feed into the entrance level of the stadium through a plaza that connects to the Busway Station. The bus station and VIP access would be under the elevated plaza.

The cricket nets and fields would be relocated if needed and access via the current Victoria Park Golf Course access.

This is already under masterplan. Building over the Mayne Railyards will require identification of new stabling facilities (as you won't be able to keep as many tracks underneath a structure) significant construction in a live rail area (Federation square for example was much smaller and an absolute pain to build).

The flip side is it will utilise a dead part of town.
Old September 12th, 2019, 01:13 AM   #50
bribri

Likes (Received): 2013

I’m thinking a Hudson Yards scale concept. Most recent Olympics have utilized greenfield sites, can’t see any current Brisbane stadia suiting such a large complex and what will be the defining stadium for Brisbane.

bribri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 01:47 AM   #51
Maroon Grown
QUEENSLANDER!!!

Likes (Received): 196

It has to be a site where there is ample public transport and central to the city. QEII failed because of this and the Shorncliffe line barely copes with the BCEC site. There is NO PT at the airport and Hamilton Northshore would need to rely on buses using KSD...

Mayne yard seems extremely difficult to build over, particularly as the CRR interface includes elevated viaducts.

My option includes pulling down The Gabba and building again. When the Games are over, you could pull the upper tier down and reduce it back to a 40-50k stadium.

My other thought is the Hanson cement plant on Montague Road - but PT really needs some improvement down there.

Maroon Grown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 01:59 AM   #52
SoulvisionQ1
New Urbanist

Likes (Received): 1396

Albion or Northshore Hamilton are the best sites for the stadium IMO.

A new line should be built to service Northshore anyway, so this is about creating legacy infrastructure in places that people care about (and house thousands of future homes), not QEII. That is an absolute joke of an idea and should never be considered, totally dumb!

KJBrissy liked this post
SoulvisionQ1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 03:09 AM   #53
Birkish Delight

Likes (Received): 159

QEII isn't the worst option, but it would need major upgrades to public transport to make it work like a whole new train line which is obviously pie in the sky.

I think most likely are Mayne Yards or Northshore.

verbatim9 liked this post
Birkish Delight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 04:21 AM   #54
verbatim9

Likes (Received): 2310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birkish Delight View Post
QEII isn't the worst option, but it would need major upgrades to public transport to make it work like a whole new train line which is obviously pie in the sky.

I think most likely are Mayne Yards or Northshore.
Nathan is not viable unless expensive Public Transport upgrades are achieved. e.g.Extending the metro to the area.

Brisbane is going to need a new train stabling facility anyway. Move the current train stabling at Mayne Yards to a new location and utilise the land which is crying out for redevelopment. There could be a possibility to create a world class aquatic leisure centre in conjunction with the stadium as well as space for a new tennis centre. All a quick walk to a new high capacity Bowen Hills station with platform screens which is also long enough to accept 9 car trains.

verbatim9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 06:42 AM   #55
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 7978

I like Northshore Hamilton as the site.

It's next to the river and will look photogenic with a shiny new stadium next to it, plus it's close to major roads, the river cat etc.

Plus, afterwards, when people do river cruises, a major highlight will be the '2032 Olympic Stadium on your left folks'. It activates that part of the river to tourism Like it wouldn't hurt to have some tourist attractions in nice locations, we don't exactly have a plethora. It's a River city, embrace the river!!

As for Nathan, the transport ain't great, the roads are clogged and the location feels isolated from Brisbane City. I go there for concerts sometimes and it barely copes with that.

LeSnakk liked this post
Locke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 07:18 AM   #56
nathandavid88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I like Northshore Hamilton as the site.

*Snip*

As for Nathan, the transport ain't great, the roads are clogged and the location feels isolated from Brisbane City. I go there for concerts sometimes and it barely copes with that.
Doesn't a lot of those same complaints about Nathan also apply to Northshore Hamilton?
Old September 12th, 2019, 07:52 AM   #57
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 7978

Quote:
Doesn't a lot of those same complaints about Nathan also apply to Northshore Hamilton?
Maybe:P but I still prefer it:P
Old September 12th, 2019, 07:55 AM   #58
verbatim9

Likes (Received): 2310

Quote:
Authorities can convert the Doomben line and build a new light rail system from Eagle Junction to service the area right up to the new cruise terminal. Kill two stones at once. Update inefficient and expensive transport to the area as well as promote urban renewal and infill around proposed new LRT stops and stations. (Just hope that sea levels remain as is and doesn't flood the area).

verbatim9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 08:27 AM   #59
nathandavid88

I doubt they would convert the line to Light Rail - I'm pretty certain that there are still occasional freight movements out to Pinkenba to service the Graincorp terminal, which would require the line to remain as heavy rail.
Old September 12th, 2019, 09:01 AM   #60
KJBrissy

It would be better to build a 16km metro line from Kenmore to Hamilton via Indooroopilly, Toowong, West End, CBD, Kangaroo Point, New Farm, Newstead and Bulimba so that we actually get something worthwhile out of it.

I feel a backtracking rail or light rail line will get very little patronage except maybe game days where light rail would be inadequate.

verbatim9, nathandavid88, LeSnakk liked this post
KJBrissy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement