SANTA CLARA - Levi's Stadium (68,500) - Page 14 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #261
will101

Likes (Received): 2541

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlspannoosh View Post
I have no idea why the hell the geezer you are replying to thinks the 49ers should have a Premier League type stadium.
I also have no idea what the hell you are talking about when mentioning these stadiums covered in barbed wire and not being in the open air.:
Then you should have stated why you think that the new Santa Clara Stadium is not like an EPL stadium, instead of making us guess what you were talking about. Which we still don't know.
But the typical UK critic starts off with how it is missing a roof, not realizing that this stadium will be built at the same latitude as Sevilla. And keep in mind that this venue will be thousands of seats larger than anything in the EPL except for Old Trafford.
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #262
carlspannoosh

Likes (Received): 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by will101 View Post
Then you should have stated why you think that the new Santa Clara Stadium is not like an EPL stadium, instead of making us guess what you were talking about. Which we still don't know.
But the typical UK critic starts off with how it is missing a roof, not realizing that this stadium will be built at the same latitude as Sevilla. And keep in mind that this venue will be thousands of seats larger than anything in the EPL except for Old Trafford.
Uhm what?? I don't care whether it is like a Premier League stadium or not. You were replying to someone who did make a comparison...who wasn't me and who wasn't as far as I know from the UK.

The only opinion I have given on this stadium was about a year ago and was as follows.
Quote:
Looks good to me. Non symmetry generally adds a bit of character.
I was just asking for people to not be tempted to answer ignorant points with equally ignorant responses like you did.
carlspannoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #263
will101

Quote:
Uhm what?? I don't care whether it is like a Premier League stadium or not. You were replying to someone who did make a comparison...who wasn't me and who wasn't as far as I know from the UK.

The only opinion I have given on this stadium was about a year ago and was as follows.

I was just asking for people to not be tempted to answer ignorant points with equally ignorant responses like you did.
So your perfectly logical reaction was to dive into the middle, post an almost completely unintelligible response, and start calling me names? Brilliant. Please troll somewhere else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #264
carlspannoosh

Quote:
So your perfectly logical reaction was to dive into the middle, post an almost completely unintelligible response, and start calling me names? Brilliant. Please troll somewhere else.
You wouldn't have got a response from me were it not for your stupid "barbed wire" remark.
My response which you seem not to understand was simply to show a few photographs of stadiums with no such barbed wire protection and a request for less stupid comments in the future. Couldn't be bloody simpler. Now back to the bleedin stadium. Cheers.
Old August 8th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #265
will101

Quote:
You wouldn't have got a response from me were it not for your stupid "barbed wire" remark.
My response which you seem not to understand was simply to show a few photographs of stadiums with no such barbed wire protection and a request for less stupid comments in the future. Couldn't be bloody simpler. Now back to the bleedin stadium. Cheers.
The last couple uses of "stupid" just got you reported.
Old August 8th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #266
carlspannoosh

Quote:
The last couple uses of "stupid" just got you reported.
I probably won't lose too much sleep
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #267
Topher51

Likes (Received): 109

I'm no weather expert, but it seems to me that in the UK, the winters aren't terribly cold but it rains a lot. Therefore, it makes perfect sense to have the majority of the seats covered at most EPL stadiums. As someone who has been to plenty of bad weather sporting events, getting drenched sucks. However, its much more common for winter precipitation to be in the form of snow here in the states. Other than the temperature, that isn't bad at all. It's actually pretty fun to be at a snow game.

The only city in the US I can think of that has a similar climate to that of London is Seattle. It rains a ton and it doesn't get cold enough to snow often, hence the roof at Quest Field very similar to a Euro Football stadium. That is function based though. I doubt they would have built that stadium in, say, Tampa.

Don't get me wrong, I like many of the Euro stadiums, but in general, there just isn't a need for roofs like that here. The weather in San Fran is relatively warm in the winter, it doesn't rain much there and with a wide open stadium like that, you get more than a upward view of the sky. You'll be able to see the mountains, the bay, the cities through the gaps. I imagine it will be breathtaking.
Topher51 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #268
Darloeye

Likes (Received): 84

NO ROOF TALK PLEASE !
Darloeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #269
pesto

Likes (Received): 3983

The Europeans may not be aware but college football attracts many, many more fans at the stadiums than does professional football. These stadiums are almost always uncovered in spite of Texas and Arizona heat in August and Michigan and Idaho cold in November. Crowds of 90k and more are common for many teams.

Among professionals (NFL), Green Bay, Chicago and others are famous for their cold playing conditions; many consider it simply a part of the game, distinguishing it from basketball and baseball (which stops when it rains).

The idea of covered stadiums is not embraced by fans generally, but, like artfiicial turf, is becoming more popular in the NFL.
pesto está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #270
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

This Will guy flies off the handle with anyone who dissents. Barbed wire and fences in the Premier League? Seriously...
krudmonk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #271
Nnamdi

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I have no idea why the hell the geezer you are replying to thinks the 49ers should have a Premier League type stadium.
I also have no idea what the hell you are talking about when mentioning these stadiums covered in barbed wire and not being in the open air.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Unfortunately there are trolls everywhere. Lets try not to feed them
I take it "geezer" means something nice where you're from. So I'm not offended.

The Niners deserve to have a palace that rivals the Cowboys. It's a shame they have horrible owners. They should sell the team and build something where the old stadium is. Nobody wants to see them share some stadium w/ the Raiders.
Nnamdi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #272
carlspannoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnamdi View Post
I'm from London and it is a neutral term.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=geezer
Old August 10th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #273
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnamdi View Post

The Niners deserve to have a palace that rivals the Cowboys. It's a shame they have horrible owners. They should sell the team and build something where the old stadium is. Nobody wants to see them share some stadium w/ the Raiders.
Interesting re "geezer". In the US you still usually say "old geezer" when you use the term and it universally means someone old.

SF (Candlestick) seems to have too many issues: poor demographics in SF, at the edge of the Bay Area, poor transit, no real plan on the table and unacceptable to Oakland. Unless there is something really hidden here, the Yorks are not selling and they are moving to Santa Clara.

The Raiders continue to be a mystery. Both AEG and Roski want a piece of the team if they go to LA; the City of Oakland is just broke and has too many issues (the child prostitution and drive-by murder uproars are not helping build momentum behind paying Al Davis anything or attracting sponsors for a new stadium).

Santa Clara allows for Al to retain ownership and get a brand new stadium with input into its design and facilities. The Niners obviously get some needed financial support and confidence from lenders.

And, for sure, no roof.
Old August 12th, 2011, 04:17 AM   #274
will101

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
This Will guy flies off the handle with anyone who dissents.
Actually, I simply outed you as one who wanted the Niner stadium out of Santa Clara County no matter what, and were using erroneous info from a teabag website as "proof". You were the one who lost it.
Old August 12th, 2011, 04:23 AM   #275
will101

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Interesting re "geezer". In the US you still usually say "old geezer" when you use the term and it universally means someone old.

SF (Candlestick) seems to have too many issues: poor demographics in SF, at the edge of the Bay Area, poor transit, no real plan on the table and unacceptable to Oakland. Unless there is something really hidden here, the Yorks are not selling and they are moving to Santa Clara.

The Raiders continue to be a mystery. Both AEG and Roski want a piece of the team if they go to LA; the City of Oakland is just broke and has too many issues (the child prostitution and drive-by murder uproars are not helping build momentum behind paying Al Davis anything or attracting sponsors for a new stadium).

Santa Clara allows for Al to retain ownership and get a brand new stadium with input into its design and facilities. The Niners obviously get some needed financial support and confidence from lenders.

And, for sure, no roof.
I admit that having the Raiders on board makes financial sense, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. ANd then you have to think about logistics for the Raiders. I don't think they will want to keep their facility in Alameda, and there's no room across the street.

Side note: they just showed Tom Cable on the sideline at the Seahawks-Chargers game. He looked so relaxed, compared to under the vampire's gaze.
Old August 15th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #276
krudmonk
sucks

Quote:
Actually, I simply outed you as one who wanted the Niner stadium out of Santa Clara County no matter what, and were using erroneous info from a teabag website as "proof". You were the one who lost it.
You showed the SCPF website to overstate things, but provided no evidence to the contrary. Your argument was built on the premise of the deal not being quite as awful for Santa Clara as had been previously thought. The only people not opposing the stadium are suburban superfans that would like a shorter drive on 8 Sundays a year.
Old August 16th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #277
pesto

Quote:
You showed the SCPF website to overstate things, but provided no evidence to the contrary. Your argument was built on the premise of the deal not being quite as awful for Santa Clara as had been previously thought. The only people not opposing the stadium are suburban superfans that would like a shorter drive on 8 Sundays a year.
Are you saying that the Santa Clara stadium has no support? I'm too lazy to pull them up, but ALL of the polls showed it winning in every demographic (men, women, young, old, union, non-union, white, non-white, high income, low income, etc.). The SF demographic was expected to have rejected the stadium handily in a vote and had already rejected Candlestick by their buying patterns (very low numbers of season tickets from SF residents).

My apologies if I mis-understand you.
Old August 16th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #278
krudmonk
sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Are you saying that the Santa Clara stadium has no support? I'm too lazy to pull them up, but ALL of the polls showed it winning in every demographic (men, women, young, old, union, non-union, white, non-white, high income, low income, etc.). The SF demographic was expected to have rejected the stadium handily in a vote and had already rejected Candlestick by their buying patterns (very low numbers of season tickets from SF residents).

My apologies if I mis-understand you.
So are all of those mutually exclusive from football fans? It's only the most popular sport in the country and all...
Old August 16th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #279
pesto

Quote:
So are all of those mutually exclusive from football fans? It's only the most popular sport in the country and all...
Sorry; I thought your comment was that only "suburban superfans" would be interested in a Santa Clara stadium. I didn't realize that you consider this coextensive with the whole country.
Old August 16th, 2011, 11:54 PM   #280
krudmonk
sucks

The general climate towards publicly-funded stadia in California is well-known. The measure was rammed through a special election with less than 15,000 votes in support. To claim this stadium or Santa Clara as some kind of great exception is simply disingenuous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
american football, san francisco, san josé, united states