SANTA CLARA - Levi's Stadium (68,500) - Page 54 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2013, 01:10 AM   #1061
will101

Likes (Received): 2541

49ers new Santa Clara stadium cost goes up again -- to $1.3 billion

This isn't as bad as it sounds. The cost increase is on purpose, and the payments are going down. From the Murky News:
Quote:
By Mike Rosenberg

[email protected]

mercurynews.com
Posted: 06/08/2013 08:32:38 AM PDT
June 8, 2013 4:24 PM GMTUpdated: 06/08/2013 09:24:54 AM PDT

SANTA CLARA -- The cost to build the San Francisco 49ers new home is rising about $100 million -- to $1.3 billion -- as the team plans to use its mounting pile of cash to install new tech features throughout Silicon Valley's first NFL stadium.

The 49ers said Friday that the latest 8 percent increase to the Santa Clara stadium price, which has now jumped $336 million in three years, was not due to cost overruns but rather because of unspecified new elements to "enhance the fan experience." The team has committed to funding the additional project at no cost to Santa Clara.

The 49ers and Santa Clara have already topped $1 billion in sales from luxury boxes, seat licenses and naming rights. But the final decision to increase the cost came in recent weeks following the NFL owners' vote to award the 50th Super Bowl, in 2016, to the new Levi's Stadium.

"Now that we've landed Super Bowl 50, we see this as great opportunity to show the world when they come here in 2016 the future of stadium technology," said Larry MacNeil, the team's executive vice president for development. He declined to provide more detail on the additional $75 million that will be spent on tech bells-and-whistles, on top of a $50 million tech budget already in place, saying the team is still figuring out what features it will include when the stadium opens by August 2014.

At the old cost of $1.2 billion, Levi's Stadium was almost tied with Cowboys Stadium as the second most expensive NFL stadium ever, behind the New York Jets' and Giants' $1.6 billion MetLife Stadium.

After Santa Clara voters approved a $937 million plan in June 2010, the cost increased to $1.02 billion in 2011 and was set at $1.18 billion during the April 2012 groundbreaking. After adding another $96 million on Friday, the price tag is now $1.27 billion, or 36 percent more than the 2010 estimate.

The 49ers on Friday also announced a new lease agreement with the Santa Clara Stadium Authority, the public agency that took out loans to build the bulk of the stadium.

The 49ers had originally forecast paying the Stadium Authority $30 million a year in rent to pay off the authority's construction loans. But the team will now pay $24.5 million annually, which MacNeil said is lower because the Stadium Authority will take on less debt than first expected.
The rest of the article is here: http://www.mercurynews.com/southbayf...urce=autofeed#
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #1062
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 22679

Interesting behind the scenes vid in the link below:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...plex-in-sports

will101 liked this post
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:01 PM   #1063
gugasounds

Likes (Received): 187

updates ??
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:49 PM   #1064
will101

Levi's Stadium to feature Daktronics scoreboard

From Niners Nation:
Quote:
By David Fucillo on Jul 1 2013, 9:44a

This news is a week old, but it's still worth a note. The 49ers new stadium continues to move along to completion, and the primary scoreboard will be manufactured by Daktronics. The company handles scoreboards for most sports venues, including 27 of 31 NFL facilities. The deal was part of a joint sales effort with Sony Electronics. The 49ers are working with Sony to boost the consumer experience at Levi's Stadium, so it is not surprising they are involved in this deal with Daktronics.

The 49ers will not have an obscene monstrosity of a scoreboard like the Cowboys stadium, or some of the other new stadiums out there. As Jed York has said, the stadium is more about the software, rather than the hardware. The picture above was included with the Daktronics press release. I'd imagine it's mostly just as an example of sorts.
The rest of the short article, and a pic, is here: http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/7/1...ics-scoreboard
Old July 8th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #1065
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 22679

The main things that are happening now with the stadium bowl is the casting of the lower part, whilst a small group of people are painting the concrete of the second tier:

will101 liked this post

Last edited by RMB2007; July 8th, 2013 at 06:21 PM.
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #1066
will101

Just as an FYI: I was clicking around in the 3-D view (I just got a newer and more powerful computer, and wanted to see how quickly it would display it), and I noticed that the number of suites has been reduced from 166 to 163. I'm not exactly sure what they did, but I do know that it is in the east side sideline suites, between the second and third levels. This is just to the left of where the gentlemen are painting in the above photo.
Old July 9th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #1067
Benn

Likes (Received): 220

Could be that a couple of high rollers wanted bigger suites and they combined a couple of normal ones right? It would seem odd to make structural changes to the design at this point, anything that would displace suites for other reasons.
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #1068
will101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn View Post
Could be that a couple of high rollers wanted bigger suites and they combined a couple of normal ones right? It would seem odd to make structural changes to the design at this point, anything that would displace suites for other reasons.
That's just it: I have no idea when this design change was made. My only source of information then and now is the 3-D viewer page. Which I would assume is produced with the advice and consent of the team in question. It's been some months since I tallied the number of suites for Sercan's list, but the actual change in the plans could have already been decided upon. Or it could be like you said, a recent thing because of some big money going by. We may never know.

Last edited by will101; July 9th, 2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old July 11th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #1069
ECIRTREB76

Likes (Received): 31

will101 liked this post
ECIRTREB76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #1070
Jericho-79

Likes (Received): 100

There's a rumor that Levi's Stadium will host Wrestlemania in 2015 or 2016.
Jericho-79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 12:34 AM   #1071
will101

If it helps pay the mortgage, then go for it. I'll be doing something else that night. Anything else. And I'm pretty sure they won't miss me.

Benn, CharlieP liked this post
Old July 15th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #1072
will101

Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl to Unite Pac-12, Big Ten

I missed this one a while back. From NBC Bay Area:
Quote:
By Kyle Bonagura Monday, Jun 24, 2013 Updated 12:28 PM PDT

When the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl moves to Levi's Stadium in 2014, it'll have a rosy feel.

The Bowl announced Monday it has signed a six-year agreement that will pit the Pac-12 and Big Ten conferences against each other from from 2014 to 2019 in Santa Clara at the new home of the San Francisco 49ers. The conferences have long been linked as traditional opponents in the Rose Bowl.

“We are delighted to continue the Pac-12’s relationship with the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl and thrilled to build on our postseason partnership with the Big Ten Conference in the Bay Area,” Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said. “Having the opportunity to showcase the two conferences with a quality matchup in the San Francisco 49ers new state-of-the-art stadium is a win-win for our teams and fans.”

AT&T Park has been the bowl's venue since it was formed in 2002 and the Pac-12 has been affiliated with the game since 2006 having a representative each year since, except 2010. This year, the conference's No. 6 team is slated to play against BYU, pending the Cougars' bowl eligibility, on Dec. 27.
The rest of the article is here: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...212804231.html
Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:52 PM   #1073
CaptainMike09
CaptainMike09

Likes (Received): 0

Did someone say....Personal Seat Licenses?

I can't find who said it but I'm sure someone said it.

Anyways, Personal Seat Licenses are a easy way to tick off your fansbase! I wish teams would do away with them. It isn't fair to the consumer buying the tickets.

- Bill Parcells
CaptainMike09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #1074
will101

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMike09 View Post
Did someone say....Personal Seat Licenses?

I can't find who said it but I'm sure someone said it.

Anyways, Personal Seat Licenses are a easy way to tick off your fansbase! I wish teams would do away with them. It isn't fair to the consumer buying the tickets.
Then who pays for the stadium? The taxpayers? I don't think so.

BTW the Niners have sold more than 80% of the available PSLs.
Old July 24th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #1075
Benn

I still can't believe the 49ers fanbase has been so accepting of PSLs on just about every seat. I guess you guys really want to get the hell out of Candlestick.
Old July 24th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #1076
pesto

Likes (Received): 3982

Quote:
Originally Posted by will101 View Post
I missed this one a while back. From NBC Bay Area:

The rest of the article is here: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...212804231.html
Maybe they can call it the Rose Bud Bowl. I see a marketing opportunity.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #1077
pesto

Likes (Received): 3982

Quote:
I still can't believe the 49ers fanbase has been so accepting of PSLs on just about every seat. I guess you guys really want to get the hell out of Candlestick.
Leaving Candlestick (which was not just aging, but made for a longer commute for most season ticketholders) was a factor. But also the won-lost record for the last two years. It was immaculate timing.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #1078
Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Leaving Candlestick (which was not just aging, but made for a longer commute for most season ticketholders) was a factor. But also the won-lost record for the last two years. It was immaculate timing.
Yeah the on the field porduct has been real good as of late, and the Bay Area is certainly on of the wealthiest in the nation, but most fans across the country have not been all that thrilled about forking over a few grand for right to buy season tickets. Probably biggest fear in the Vikings fan base here throughout the development of our new stadium, is seeing PSLs on general seating. The level of PSLs you guys are seeing would probably deter me for getting season tickets, but if 49ers fans are good with it, so be it I guess.
Old July 25th, 2013, 12:23 AM   #1079
will101

Quote:
Candlestick Park was designed to be reminiscent of the old Polo Grounds in New York, which was why it wound up with so much room in foul territory. And to keep the cost down, it was built with a very shallow slope in the lower level. Which makes for some awful seats for football, especially in the south end zone. I never understood how the Niners were able to sell those seats before filling the upper level. I always preferred the upper level at Candlestick.

But the Niners really emphasized how much closer all of the seats would be to the field. Out in right field, you can have a sideline seat in the front row of the upper deck, and be close to 200 feet from the near sideline, because they had to allow for baseball. And they did play up the 'no taxpayer money' thing a bit.
Old July 25th, 2013, 12:33 AM   #1080
will101

Quote:
Yeah the on the field porduct has been real good as of late, and the Bay Area is certainly on of the wealthiest in the nation, but most fans across the country have not been all that thrilled about forking over a few grand for right to buy season tickets. Probably biggest fear in the Vikings fan base here throughout the development of our new stadium, is seeing PSLs on general seating. The level of PSLs you guys are seeing would probably deter me for getting season tickets, but if 49ers fans are good with it, so be it I guess.
It's kind of an either/or thing with the taxpayer funding. More than 50% of the Vikings stadium will be built with public money, so the PSLs should be limited. That option was not open to the Niners.

I still think the Chargers could do something similar to the Niners if they can keep the cost under about $800 million. Build a simple design like LP Field in Nashville, with room for expansion if needed. No gonzo scoreboards, no retractable roof, just a good layout with clear sightlines and comfortable seats. $200 mil from the NFL, $100 from naming rights, $200 from the Spanos family, all they would need is to raise $300 million in PSLs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
american football, san francisco, san josé, united states