Singapore Schools & Tetiary Institutes | News, Pictures & Updates - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum

Singapore Skyscraper Forum Projects | Heritage | Transport | Skyscrapers & Cityscapes | Skybar

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2005, 03:34 AM   #81
Sasika

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shao_ye

RMPS covered by surrounding geenery...
The overall doesnt look as bad as just the barn like hall... Primary schools are just getting bigger and bigger these days.. :P
Sasika no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2005, 03:45 AM   #82
heirloom

Likes (Received): 2

hrm... i like only the barn part.
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:23 PM   #83
shao_ye

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasika
The overall doesnt look as bad as just the barn like hall... Primary schools are just getting bigger and bigger these days.. :P
not all primary schools are getting bigger and bigger these days... onli those wif HUGE plots of fields can get 'bigger', rmps is one sch wif large land area... after its prime it still has a huge piece of field... some newly built primary school doesnt realli seem tt big...
shao_ye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2005, 11:31 AM   #84
Gid

VICTORIA SCHOOL

I completed my secondary education in Victoria School, founded 1876 by M. Hellier. In 2002, the school shifted to its new sea-side compound at Siglap Link beside Victoria Junior College.

Built at a cost of over $40 million, the Victoria School and Victoria Hall of Residences redevelopment project won the following architecture awards:

*USA SCN: The DesignShare Award
*Singapore Institute of Architects: Architectural Design Awards
*Singapore Institute of Architects: ICI Colour Awards
*BCA: Best Buildable Design Award
*ASEAN: Energy Efficient Award

Model

Renderings

Main Entrance: To the left is the Alumni Heritage Centre, to the right is the Admin Office

Roof-terrace Parade Square: This is the signature feature of the school. In a bid to free up more space, the parade square is built atop the 5th storey roof of the Admin Wing. A sky-bridge is built across the parade square to link the two taller 7-storey Classroom Wing that surrounds the parade square.

Roof-terrace Parade Square: A scroll-roof extends over the parade square from the surrounding twin 7-storey Classroom Wing. The school motto "NIL SINE LABORE" is incorporated into the design of the roof.

Roof-terrace Parade Square: The parade square is served by 4 elevators. This is the 7th storey lift lobby.

Roof-terrace Parade Square: View from the sky-bridge.

Arts Wing

More sky-bridges

Linkways in the school

Eco-street: This is another main feature of the school. The green-lung includes an eco-pond that stretches almost the entire length of the school. Bio-degradable untensils from the canteen are made into compost to "feed" the eco-street.

Speakers' Platform: Also used for small-scale performances and prize presentations. Audience will have to squeeze along the sky-bridges and corridors, or risk drowning in the pond...

Cozy corner...

Canteen

Auditorium

Victoria Hall of Residences: 2 blocks of 11-storey residences to cater for 500 boarders.

Victoria Hall of Residences: Unobstructed sea-view!

Fountain...

Last edited by Gid; May 10th, 2005 at 05:18 AM.
Gid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:46 PM   #85
heirloom

aiyar!!!1 not fair every schoool should have elevators when iw as in secondary school i had to climb up and down 4 storeys and primary school also. the view is really good.
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:54 PM   #86
shao_ye

i believe lifts are not for abled students like u n mi...poor students, climbing so mani stairs every morning...realli nice building...nicer then acs(barker)...haha...why i always thinks other schs are nicer then acs(barker) when alot of pple says tt acs(br) has state-of-the-art facilites? but it realli looks sooo much freaking cooler then e 93millon barker campus....haha...y cost so much lesser but looks so much cooler? haha...

Last edited by shao_ye; May 9th, 2005 at 01:06 PM.
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:13 PM   #87
Gid

Quote:
i believe lifts are not for abled students like u n mi...poor students, climbing so mani stairs every morning...realli nice building...nicer then acs(barker)...haha...why i always thinks other schs are nicer then acs(barker) when alot of pple says tt acs(br) has state-of-the art facilites? but it realli looks sooo much freaking cooler then e 93millon barker campus....haha...y cost so much lesser but looks so much cooler? haha...
ya itz tiring, since the parade square is so high up, we "go down" to our classrooms, instead of "going up", haha.

and yes! the lifts and eco-street caused a freaking big debate. alot of parents complained that the VS project was too extravagant. and it also did not make sense that only teachers were allowed to use the lifts. TODAY posted a front page article on the complaints and freakin embarassed the school board. I guess that was the darkest day in VS history...

actually its not accurate to compare the cost of the school.
bcos funding for the Barker project was spread out over many more buildings...

-------------------------------------------------
Barker ($93m): pri sch + sec sch + hostel + public church building + multi-storey carpark
Victoria School ($42m): sec sch + hostel
-------------------------------------------------

So i guess it all breaks down to the same cost la...

and imo, Barker looks really good. perfect blend of old english charm and contemporaray architecture.

Last edited by Gid; May 9th, 2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:22 PM   #88
shao_ye

hey hey...it all makes sense...y didnt i thought in tt direction at the beri begining? haha...
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:27 PM   #89
Gid

Quote:
hey hey...it all makes sense...y didnt i thought in tt direction at the veri begining? haha...
simple maths, my dear friend.
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:38 PM   #90
Pengui
Tallest on his iceberg

Likes (Received): 6

OMG what a school I want to be a student again, lol.
Pengui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:54 PM   #91
heirloom

huh i would organise a petition for students to use elevators. i hate it when students are treated like lesser beings.
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #92
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 111

wow..Victoria School brings secondary schools to new heights!
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 03:35 PM   #93
shao_ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gid
simple maths, my dear friend.
not onli the $ part, but oso e "old english charm and contemporaray architecture" part...didnt thought of tt frm e very begining...now i found new meaning to the 'bricky' building...lolx...
Old May 9th, 2005, 03:40 PM   #94
shao_ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
huh i would organise a petition for students to use elevators. i hate it when students are treated like lesser beings.
4 lifts for 1000 over students? when muz the students start queeing for lifts b4 assembly begins? haha....
Old May 9th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #95
Cliff
Tan

Likes (Received): 203

Victoria's Architecture is great!

My school(CHS) just wasted 32 million on a rubbish building.
Cliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #96
shao_ye

in wad way is chs $32m building rubbishy?
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #97
heirloom

i'd really rather queue than climb 4 stories

anyway, lets have a scenario where a 4 storey school building has 4 elevators, each with a capacity of 25. lower sec ppl dont need to use the lift - only upper sec. in a typical school that would be about 800 ppl. the 4 lifts can accommodate 100 ppl a trip, so its just 8 trips lor... not too bad what. only 4 storeys.
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #98
shao_ye

Quote:
i'd really rather queue than climb 4 stories

anyway, lets have a scenario where a 4 storey school building has 4 elevators, each with a capacity of 25. lower sec ppl dont need to use the lift - only upper sec. in a typical school that would be about 800 ppl. the 4 lifts can accommodate 100 ppl a trip, so its just 8 trips lor... not too bad what. only 4 storeys.
haha... why lower sec so special, dun need to use e lift? they shld juz haf esclators lahz...
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:37 AM   #99
heirloom

cos lower sec use 1st and second storeys mar
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:00 AM   #100
Cliff
Tan

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
in wad way is chs $32m building rubbishy?
Its okay, just not as nice as Victoria's

I also feel that it looks like a neighbourhood school. (The stairwells are identical to that of ITE)

Money could have been better spent. For example, just extend the old hall and canteen instead of RE-building two more.
Cliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement