280m is the limit for singapore? - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum

Singapore Skyscraper Forum » Projects | Heritage | Transport | Skyscrapers & Cityscapes | Skybar

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 3rd, 2003, 04:44 AM   #21
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1913

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff

Opps, my mistake I've never been into KL airport, I only transited from Rome-Milian-Colombo-Kuala Lumpur-Singapore!
haha....no prob man.......anyway for your info - the airport is 78km from the city centre (2km short of Narita).
szehoong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2003, 12:29 PM   #22
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally posted by szehoong

haha....no prob man.......anyway for your info - the airport is 78km from the city centre (2km short of Narita).
And Changi is "only" 20km from downtown?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2003, 12:31 PM   #23
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff

Me too! The Planes would fly 'silently' over my house, towards the skyline ,and curve in releasing red smoke, and curving back, and fly past my house again
Over your house? Oh I tend to see them flying right across the east coast, and I didnt notice them flying over to your place....

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2003, 01:01 PM   #24
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1913

Quote:
Originally posted by huaiwei

well.....if Singapore had the chance, technology & money at that time....it would have built the airport in the sea! (like Kansai Intl Airport). No point building an airport so near to the city when other developments could be sprouting near it in the years to come........I really applaud Msian govt foresight in relocating the airport to Sepang.......it might not be as convenient as Subang but it is definitely good for the next hundred years to come ( yes....it is a hundred years planning........with the airport reserved land the largest in the world! ..........we learned from mistake )
szehoong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2003, 01:04 PM   #25
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Dude....the remaining "sea" that we have left are all used for the ship anchorages! Yeah, if land is limited, the sea is limited as well! You might be interested to know that there have been countless proposals to build floating facilities, not just airports, but all the is simply impossible because you either get in the way of the anchorage, or you intrude into international shipping lanes!

Old November 3rd, 2003, 01:39 PM   #26
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 111

The decision (made in the 70s) to locate the airport at Changi was a sound one. There would be room for future expansion, which is being carried out via reclamation works going on now. And that includes possibilities for T4 and T5

Does anyone have an updated picture of the map of Singapore? I believe the shape of the island off the eastern coast has changed again.
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2003, 02:27 PM   #27
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 4486

Quote:

New Bangkok International Airport is "only" 14 Km from downtown!...

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2003, 03:07 PM   #28
Jo
Iron horse rider dlx

Likes (Received): 19

Do like Bangkok or MM, build a few new CBD's further away
Old November 3rd, 2003, 03:49 PM   #29
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Here are a few aerial shots....too bad no updates of the land profile as of today yet.

Taken 2001 Shows the existing airport, with the reclaimed land for expansion at the bottom left. (with my annotations)

Taken 2002 The northern tip of the new runway can be seen.

Taken 2002 The new runway can be clearly seen, with taxiways to be built next.

From the photos, it is amazing that the goverment has yet to make a public announcement that the runsways are already being built!

Last edited by huaiwei; November 3rd, 2003 at 06:00 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 03:51 PM   #30
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Check out this map which I edited just to illustrate everything that we have been trying to say so far. Hope you guys like it!

p.s. Rex and tropical...I am still unsure of your exact location, unless you sms me your block numbers!

Old November 3rd, 2003, 03:58 PM   #31
heirloom

Likes (Received): 2

omigod. isnt changi airport a little space-inefficient? couldnt they have it denser or something... that seems a huge space for such a tiny country... an airport that occupies a tenth of a country sounds ridiculous...

and are you sure that's exactly where i live? i think it's alittle too far from the paya lebar airbase... you know when i sit in the master toilet shitting with the door open i can see planes taking off? i found that reallly nice. its like being let into a secret. like keeping watch from a secret place.
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2003, 04:08 PM   #32
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
and are you sure that's exactly where i live? i think it's alittle too far from the paya lebar airbase... you know when i sit in the master toilet shitting with the door open i can see planes taking off? i found that reallly nice. its like being let into a secret. like keeping watch from a secret place.
Siao eh.....I use maps and all to ensure I am **** sure where your house is loh. If you want to be nearer to the airbase, can....I put u in the wafer fab park between yr house and the airbase lah, settle?

Old November 3rd, 2003, 04:20 PM   #33
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Amazing aerials!!!!!!!
Theyre a little disorientating but it looks HUGE! Both the current airport and the size of the land reclaimed. Amazing!!

I also find that the shape of the eastern coast is gonna look so cool and futuristic! Like Singapolis of the 21st Century!

PS: I just wanna laugh when I see all our locations pinpointed. Like a game of sorts
Old November 3rd, 2003, 04:24 PM   #34
RafflesCity
By Spirit

btw..When T3 is completed, will we be using 2 runways?

And is the runway you said is u/c now for the longer future?
Old November 3rd, 2003, 05:51 PM   #35
TropicalSQ744
Boeing 747-412 9V-SPK

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
omigod. isnt changi airport a little space-inefficient? couldnt they have it denser or something... that seems a huge space for such a tiny country... an airport that occupies a tenth of a country sounds ridiculous...
agree... they can easily fit two medium sized HDB estates into the current Changi airport and house 500,000 more people...

Nice work there huaiwei, interesting to see the location of local fourmers are kindoff equally spaced out but i don't understand why there aren't any of us living in the west

Last edited by TropicalSQ744; November 8th, 2003 at 04:48 PM.
TropicalSQ744 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2003, 06:03 PM   #36
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally posted by RafflesCity

btw..When T3 is completed, will we be using 2 runways?

And is the runway you said is u/c now for the longer future?
Hmm...we should still be using the existing two runways. The other two extra are for the future when Terminals 4 and 5 are built, but apprantly they decided to do it up first just in case the planes ask for more space faster then the humans!

Old November 4th, 2003, 07:54 AM   #37
TropicalSQ744
Boeing 747-412 9V-SPK

On the height limit issue...

Quote:
Skyline (height of tallest)
1. Hong Kong (415m)
2. New York (381m)
3. Sydney (243m)
4. Shanghai (421m)
5. Singapore (280m)
6. Chicago (442m)
7. Melbourne (251m)
8. Seattle (295m)
9. Minneapolis (237m)
10. Frankfurt (259m)
It's true that people prefer skylines with supertalls but it's also true the people find well arranged skylines much more aesthetically pleasing as well.. I guess a tradeoff is the best option as Singapore will definately not be able to build a WTB because of the nearby Paya Lebar airport. I think a super tall (1000ft+) building is still feasible but the new downtown plans have proven me wrong... Oh well, I guess we will just have to be satisfied with our 3 talls and hope that the rules will be relaxed when the economy picks up again.

Refer to this pic:

"At heights of up to 245m..."
Old November 4th, 2003, 10:08 AM   #38
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally posted by heirloom

Wah....I suppose we should be demanding all the airports be closed and lets just have aircraft carriers instead!

Old November 4th, 2003, 10:32 AM   #39
TropicalSQ744
Boeing 747-412 9V-SPK

Quote:

Wah....I suppose we should be demanding all the airports be closed and lets just have aircraft carriers instead!
COol... Let's be the first one in the world to build commercial aircraft carriers!
Old November 4th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #40
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally posted by TropicalSQ744

COol... Let's be the first one in the world to build commercial aircraft carriers!
Maybe we should jus relocate to one of the southern islands..hehehe

Now....the building of Military aircraft carriers will surely raise eyebrows, er?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement