General Brisbane Retail Thread - Page 140 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Queensland > Everything else

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2019, 04:31 PM   #2781
KDreamer
Marketing & Fashion, yo.

Likes (Received): 652

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbatim9 View Post
They should have fired the architect day one. Or maybe hired an architect. Horrendous.
"I’ve been to the other side and let me tell you, son, there’s f*cking nothing there...there’s no one waiting there for you, there’s no one to judge you so you can do what you bloody well like." -- Kerry Packer on being clinically dead for 6 minutes.

SenorPOW, Omnom, Levathian liked this post
KDreamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2019, 05:19 PM   #2782
verbatim9

Likes (Received): 2481

Couriermail.com.au (Quest)-----> Oxford Street Bulimba's retail precinct going through tough times with vacancy rates skyrocketing.

Quote:
Traders band together to stop exodus from trendy Oxford Street

One of Brisbane’s most upmarket shopping strips is facing a battle to survive, with remaining retailers banding together to find a way to turn fortunes around as 20 shops sit vacant along the main street.

Brian Bennion, South-East Advertiser

Subscriber only

September 18, 2019 7:35am

Owner of House on Oxford Andrea Trutwein says the precinct has to hold on to its village vibe. Picture: AAP/Jono Searle

TRADERS in Bulimba’s trendy Oxford Street fear the growing number of empty shops is pulling the precinct down as a destination.

About 20 shops have closed along the street in recent years.

Shop owners held their second meeting last week to come up with a strategy to turn things around.

michael_n_ liked this post
verbatim9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 02:07 AM   #2783
michael_n_

Likes (Received): 1083

I agree with the Bulimba thing, but it is also up and down, same with eating places. The Valley and Paddington, shops are deserting but the past few days new ones are opening in their place. My only surprise was the closure of Harajuku Gyoza in the Valley.
michael_n_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 02:29 AM   #2784
bribri

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_n_ View Post
I agree with the Bulimba thing, but it is also up and down, same with eating places. The Valley and Paddington, shops are deserting but the past few days new ones are opening in their place. My only surprise was the closure of Harajuku Gyoza in the Valley.
That part of Brunswick St is dead as these days as well as further down near the cinemas. Precincts seem to rise and fall in Brisbane quite a bit. James St is coming a serious foody hub and perhaps the Valley mall itself is rising again. Paddington used to be bustling and is now dead too. Perhaps too many venues competing for a declining dining out market as uber eats and others make getting food delivered so incredibly easy.

verbatim9, michael_n_ liked this post
bribri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 03:25 AM   #2785
verbatim9

Quote:
Harajuku Gyoza bar is meant to be reopening in the Valley metro.

Old September 22nd, 2019, 04:48 AM   #2786
michael_n_

Thanks Verb didn't know that.

American Diner which is now at Enogerra is about to open as a Sushi Hub. Actually I think I posed that a few weeks ago fit out was delayed but it's almost ready.

James Street is moving towards a food hub, but is apparently with a couple of empty shops going to have more Sydney Melbourne and possibly local designers. I have not heard who but I do know the James Street mafia don't want the area to be full of more higher end luxury like Bally or MaxMara etc.

Plus David Jones shows no sign of closing - yet.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 05:15 AM   #2787
bribri

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Thanks Verb didn't know that.

American Diner which is now at Enogerra is about to open as a Sushi Hub. Actually I think I posed that a few weeks ago fit out was delayed but it's almost ready.

James Street is moving towards a food hub, but is apparently with a couple of empty shops going to have more Sydney Melbourne and possibly local designers. I have not heard who but I do know the James Street mafia don't want the area to be full of more higher end luxury like Bally or MaxMara etc.

Plus David Jones shows no sign of closing - yet.
I asked an employee in DJs city store about the James St store closing and they said it was initially rumoured but is now being denied by management that it will close, here’s hoping it stays open.
Seed has opened on Doggett now and that corner block is being fitted out with more stores currently.
I’m hoping tat once the McLachlan and James works are done that council puts in some decent landscaping and trees there, it’s all a bit too “pavement” at the moment.

bribri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 10:46 AM   #2788
michael_n_

Good to hear thanks Bri, although a few (women) were upset by Zomp's closure. Seed - boring too many of them, but does not matter. As for David Jones, that is also good to hear, walked past there today footpath is a mess but at least it is staying.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 05:31 AM   #2789
verbatim9

TK Maxx opening new store in Brisbane----->https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showt...hp?p=162512880

Old September 23rd, 2019, 11:33 AM   #2790
Levathian
Dance again

Likes (Received): 1544

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDreamer View Post
They should have fired the architect day one. Or maybe hired an architect. Horrendous.
Wow.. could it be any more bland!?
Levathian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 10:25 AM   #2791
verbatim9

Shopping Centre Thread------> Kmart's next move in Brisbane
Old September 25th, 2019, 06:33 AM   #2792
John_Gill
Not_the_timber_man

Likes (Received): 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDreamer View Post
all of the retail centres that coles built themselves are utter sh!t. alderley, kedron..... alderley has literally made me switch my family's shopping habbit to woolies. it is that bad. compare them to something like camp hill marketplace, built by a little local developer, and they are a disgrace. coles group should be ashamed of themselves

https://www.arkhefield.com.au/projec...l-marketplace/

nathandavid88, KDreamer liked this post
John_Gill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2019, 06:58 AM   #2793
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 12436

The benefits of getting a decent architecture firm involved - something Coles evidently didn't do.
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2019, 07:20 AM   #2794
michael_n_

You're kidding Alderely is great.

verbatim9 liked this post
Old September 25th, 2019, 07:46 AM   #2795
John_Gill
Not_the_timber_man

Likes (Received): 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandavid88 View Post
The benefits of getting a decent architecture firm involved - something Coles evidently didn't do.
decent architects can (and do) deliver sh!t when their client asks them. underrated architects can do great things. it is the client and their brief that makes the difference.

nathandavid88 liked this post
John_Gill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2019, 08:36 AM   #2796
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 12436

That is true too.
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2019, 10:02 AM   #2797
KDreamer
Marketing & Fashion, yo.

Likes (Received): 652

As someone who produces work for clients (not architecture) it is the worst feeling when the client insists on terrible designs or outcomes. You almost don't want to put your name on it.

That above is an eyesore and it almost makes you not want to visit. However, groceries are groceries and you'll go wherever is closest and most convenient.
"I’ve been to the other side and let me tell you, son, there’s f*cking nothing there...there’s no one waiting there for you, there’s no one to judge you so you can do what you bloody well like." -- Kerry Packer on being clinically dead for 6 minutes.

LeSnakk, nathandavid88, Eastern37 liked this post
KDreamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2019, 01:08 AM   #2798
jonwil

Likes (Received): 1332

I suspect Coles didn't go to the architect or designer and say "we want something that looks ugly" but instead they said "we want something that is as cheap and fast to build as possible" (since their goal was to get the new supermarket open ASAP to start earning money). The ugliness is a side-effect of the fact that its cheap and fast to build rather than being intentional.

nathandavid88 liked this post
jonwil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2019, 07:14 AM   #2799
verbatim9

Pic of the coming LEGO store at Chermside today. Located next to the packed Apple store.

nathandavid88, michael_n_ liked this post

Last edited by verbatim9; September 26th, 2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old September 26th, 2019, 11:51 AM   #2800
jonwil

Likes (Received): 1332

The new LEGO store at Robina is opening this Saturday. If I wasn't busy with other LEGO related things I would go to the opening.
jonwil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
extension, mandurahboyz, redevelopment, shopping