* Grand Kivu Provinces Development News & Discussion * - Page 24 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > République Démocratique du Congo > Economic and Business

Economic and Business Discussion for the Republic of the Congo

Old October 10th, 2018, 10:36 PM   #461
Umoja

Likes (Received): 7148

How KivuHub is trying to build a tech ecosystem in eastern DRC

The city of Bukavu in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), with a population of around 800,000, has been overrun by conflict for the last 25 years.

In the aftermath of the Rwandan Genocide, Hutu refugees and much of the former Rwandan government fled into refugee camps around the city, with war ensuing in 1996 as Rwandan troops entered DRC to overthrow the Kinshasa government. Bukavu has been at the heart of events ever since.

As relative calm returns to the region, however, there are hopes that tech can play a part in the area’s emergence from post-war conflict. Founded earlier this year, incubator and accelerator KivuHub plans to be at the heart of this.

Founder and chief executive officer (CEO) Eliud Aganze told Disrupt Africa the hub was launched to offer hope to people who have suffered more than 20 years of war by providing them with a space within which to be creative and build businesses.

Our prime mission is to create an entrepreneurial ecosystem in the DRC. Our vision is to have the next Silicon Valley in the DRC,” he said.

We accompany startups in their technological and business transformations as they try to launch and penetrate the market.”

KivuHub offers incubation services for new startups and acceleration for existing ones, as well as offering training and advice in the field of technology and organising various events. The idea came about when Aganze returned from studying in Nairobi in 2016 and realised the lack of IT skills locally.

We had to share our experiences in entrepreneurship, innovation and technology as a way of enhancing our daily lives. We decided to come up with a technology hub, like the iHub in Kenya, so that we can actively support the development of our country and the eastern region of the DRC, which was the epicentre of conflict for decades,” he said.

There are already three startups being incubated at KiviHub, and Aganze plans to build out its services over time while engaging with the local community to encourage interest in tech and entrepreneurship. At present, it is sustained by its co-founders.

http://disrupt-africa.com/2018/10/ho...n-eastern-drc/
Umoja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2018, 02:57 PM   #462
Umoja

https://twitter.com/RadleyBen/status...55661082664963

Old October 13th, 2018, 02:58 PM   #463
Umoja

I didn't know that Bukavu had so much traffic jams...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2018, 10:04 PM   #464
Umoja

A Congolese Mother Of Six Is Honored For Her Death-Defying Journalism

"Journalism is my calling, the print media is my struggle and independence is my motto," says 42-year-old Solange Lusiku Nsimire, a Congolese editor and mother of six.

And it's hard to imagine a more difficult place to be a journalist than the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). At least a dozen journalists have been killed since 1992 and there were 90 attacks on journalists in 2012 alone.

It's also a dangerous place to be a woman: rape, domestic violence and senseless killings are part of the daily norm in many parts of the country. Despite significant mineral resources, the DRC is one of the least developed countries in the world, held back by decades of conflict that have resulted in the deaths of an estimated 5.4 million people since 1988.

Lusiku Nsimire, who last week won a Courage in Journalism award from the International Women's Media Foundation, has defied death threats and attacks on her family to publish articles about government corruption, injustices against women and international aid abuses. Since becoming editor-in-chief of Le Souverain, an independent newspaper based in Bukavu in Eastern Congo, in 2007, Lusiku Nsimire's coverage has sent her in and out of hiding. In 2008, armed men showed up at her house in the middle of the night, tied up her husband and children and stole the family's savings. But nothing has stopped her from what she calls her mission to be "a journalist who is a fighter."

Goats and Soda spoke with Lusiku Nsimire about the IWMF award, her experiences as a journalist and her hopes for the future of her country.

You've faced threats, armed robbery and near-death experiences. Other journalists in your country have been killed for continuing to publish. With all of these challenges, what makes you continue working as a journalist?

Asking me to stop being a journalist because I received threats would be like asking me to give up being myself. I am moved by this strong desire to inform people and provide information that is true, verified and credible. I am conducting a fight that will be useful for future generations. I am writing, every day, the story of Eastern Congo, the story of the Democratic Republic of Congo, and I am contributing toward building our collective memory. Our challenge is to create a written testimony so that future generations, when they want to figure out what happened in the past, can find this based on true, valid information. They can reconstruct the collective memory that made us.

Why is journalism so dangerous in the DRC?

In my country, democracy is still young and we have just left behind the years of dictatorship. Journalists must be able to express ourselves freely and if we don't do that, then ordinary non-journalists will never do it. However, our leaders are not used to this yet. It's not part of the way they were trained, and this is true of the people in power and the opposition. They are not ready and have not been exposed to [free press] before. So now we as journalists are the true voice of the multitudes, the ones that promote democracy, that educate people on respecting freedoms. This is new and scary to the leaders.

What are the challenges of being a female journalist in the DRC?

When a woman like me starts something that is considered very daring, like being a journalist, that's considered the act of a rebel. People tend to put banana skins in front of you so that you can fall and you can make mistakes. I enter into a man's world and I throw myself into the race. If men run twice as fast, well, I have to run four times as fast. I have to be twice as good as them. When I, as a woman, decide I want to assert my freedom of speech and express myself independently in my editorials, everyone is shocked. In a world like ours in which weapons circulate freely, journalists have been killed before, so everyone is afraid of telling the truth. People like me who refuse any kind of censorship, any kind of self-censorship, create a lot of enemies.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...ing-journalism
Old October 29th, 2018, 11:31 AM   #465
Umoja

Kenya: Lancet spreads its wings to DR Congo

Lancet Pathologists are set to spread their wings to Francophone-Africa in a new deal with a French Medical Laboratory group.

Lancet Kenya CEO and founder Ahmed Kalebi said they company that has been in operation in the country since 2009, will this week be launching in Goma, DRC as its expansion gathers pace.

Speaking when he officiated the groundbreaking of the multi-million shillings Lancet Housing Society scheme in Katani, Syokimau, Kalebi said that over the last two years, their business which now employs 250 staff from an initial 23 at inception, Kalebi said their 68 branches in East Africa has been complemented by the growing number of demand, something the wish to complement with their forays across the borders.

We have made inroads to Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania, Uganda and next week, we shall be opening a branch in Goma. This has been a fruitful venture as we continue to expand in the country and beyond. The expansion to Gisenyi and now Goma, DRC shows the level of investment we have put in place for this vital service in the country.

We are in the final phase of getting a deal that will see us penetrate the French-speaking parts of the African continent and this will enrich or Pan-African drive,” said Kalebi.

At the launch in Katani which was attended by most of its employees in Nairobi, Kalebi, a Nairobi born and raised doctor, said that after years of trying to make an impact in the country and across the borders, it was time for the employees of the company to find an investment that will live past their time at Lancet.

In the country, we have not even scratched the surface yet. The demand for quality, distinguished and innovative is still high and there is not better way for us to offer all that, but, with a dedicated staff, that is well-remunerated and a properly structured social welfare that is cushioned by investments which come in handy through their joint efforts like the Sacco, whose net value grows over time,” said Kalebi.

As a good standing in society, Lancet recently got accreditation as one of the three test laboratories on the African continent after the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) gave the rare accreditation. The other centres are in South Africa and Egypt, adding a wider range to the local organisation that has grown in bounds over the period of its existence.

http://www.mediamaxnetwork.co.ke/480...s-to-dr-congo/
Old November 9th, 2018, 10:32 AM   #466
Umoja

THE RISING TIDE OF THE DR CONGO “GRAND NORD” ORIGIN

Just as certain activities are associated by the human mind with specific places, by the same token Coffee in RD Congo is associated with the eastern part of that country. In recent years, most international media coverage on Congo Coffee has been focused on the area bordering the shores of the Lake Kivu, but less attention has been drawn to another section of DRC where coffee activity has remained vibrant, despite its apparent isolation.

This place commonly called as the “Grand Nord” is a region located in the northern part of the Nord-Kivu province of the DRC. It is a vast space made up of the territories of Lubero and Beni, covering close to 24’000 km2 and inhabited by close to 3 million people. It is bordered in the North by the Province of Ituri and in the South by the Territories of Walikale and Rutshuru. On its west there is the Tshopo Province with wrapped by the Maiko National Park. On the east side of the region, one can find a series of rivers, mountains and lakes constituting landmarks at the border of DRC and Uganda. In that location, there is the Lake Edward, lying in the Virunga National Park, which is connected to the Lake Albert by the Semuliki River, flowing northward through the Albertine Rift Valley on the west side of the Ruwenzori Mountains Range, whose highest snowcapped peak reaches 5’109 m altitude.

https://afca.coffee/wp-content/uploa...r-December.pdf

https://afca.coffee/the-rising-tide-...d-nord-origin/
Old November 13th, 2018, 10:23 PM   #467
Umoja

Old November 14th, 2018, 06:09 PM   #468
kinkiesse

Likes (Received): 1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umoja View Post

We're being taken advantage of...

Umoja liked this post
kinkiesse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2018, 03:24 PM   #469
Umoja

Agricultural production in Beni region sharply down due to persistent insecurity

The insecurity affecting the city and territory of Beni directly impacts the level of agricultural production.

The situation has only worsened since the upsurge in the activities of local Mai-Mai and foreign ADF groups. According to Kambale Ngeleza, an agricultural production expert in Beni City, the decline in agricultural production is a logical consequence of the insecurity in the region.

"I have tears in my eyes because the situation is getting worse with the economy, especially agricultural production. I have always worked with growers but today, it is difficult to cultivate or haggle in the cities and territories. Insecurity has a negative impact on all levels, from production to distribution, "explains the agricultural expert.

The latter also highlights the significant impact for the Congolese RD budget of such a situation. "The state is losing a lot in terms of tax revenues. Who will pay taxes when there is insecurity and therefore little or no agricultural production? He asks himself.

In the territory of Beni, a certain number of inhabitants who lived from agriculture went to live in the city, where the security situation is a little less bad. As a result, "the province of North Kivu, which is predominantly agricultural, is facing the closure of hundreds of companies in the sector," explains Kambale Ngeleza. And "those who try to continue their production despite this insecurity take the risk of seeing their crops harvested by armed men who control these areas. It is unfortunately, "he concludes, disappointed," very frequently the case ".

Quote:
La production agricole dans la région de Beni en forte baisse en raison de l’insécurité persistante

L’insécurité qui touche la ville et le territoire de Beni impacte directement le niveau de production agricole.

La situation ne fait qu’empirer depuis la recrudescence des activités des groupes locaux maï-maï et étrangers ADF. Selon Kambale Ngeleza, expert en production agricole à Beni ville, la baisse de la production agricole est la conséquence logique de l’insécurité qui sévit dans la région.

« J’en ai les larmes aux yeux parce que la situation va de mal en pis en ce qui concerne l’économie, notamment la production agricole. J’ai toujours travaillé avec les planteurs producteurs mais aujourd’hui, c’est difficile de cultiver ou de marchander au niveau des villes et territoires. L’insécurité a un impact négatif sur tous les plans, de la production à la distribution », explique l’expert agricole.

Ce dernier souligne également l’impact non négligeable pour le budget RD congolais d’une telle situation. « L’État est en train de perdre beaucoup au niveau des rentrées fiscales. Qui va payer les taxes alors qu’il y a de l’insécurité et donc pas ou peu de production agricole ? », s’interroge-t-il.

https://congolibere.com/la-productio...e-persistante/
Old November 15th, 2018, 10:24 PM   #470
Umoja

https://insidetheadf.org/wp-content/...on-14Nov18.pdf
Old November 22nd, 2018, 11:53 PM   #471
Umoja

kinkiesse liked this post
Old November 23rd, 2018, 11:03 PM   #472
Umoja

Goma <> Bukavu Lake Transport

Old December 18th, 2018, 02:29 AM   #473
Umoja

Kenyan firms clinch supply contracts in DRC

Kenyan manufacturers and agro-processing equipment suppliers have sealed a multi-million shilling deal to export equipment and services to Democratic Republic of the Congo.

The move follows signing of 22 supply contracts worth $3.2 million (Sh32.8 million) between 10 Kenya-based companies and 14 agro-based firms from Eastern DRC.

The equipment includes tractors, ploughs, hallows, dryers, graders quality assurance gadgets such as moisture metre post-harvest solution as well as bulk storage and transportation equipment and technologies.

Eastern Africa Grain Council (EAGC) Executive director, Gerald Masila said the event was a key lesson in match-making going forward.

He said the initiative would reduce cost of production, boost quality and quantity as the region becomes food secure through borderless trade flows, deepening integration and creating prosperity for the residents.

Speaking later at a courtesy dinner, DRC Commercial attache’ Emanuel Karibu praised Kenya for spearheading positive development in his country. “In the past, Kenyans went to DRC for timber and minerals but nowadays they are taking technologies to the local people, promoting productivity, trade and prosperity,” he added.

EAGC is a regional private sector whose operation span over 10 countries in Eastern Africa region including Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, DR Congo, Zambia, Malawi, Ethiopia and South Sudan.

http://www.mediamaxnetwork.co.ke/493...tracts-in-drc/
Old February 5th, 2019, 09:46 PM   #474
Umoja

Rwanda signs $400 million deal to produce methane gas from 'Killer Lake'

KIGALI (Reuters) - Rwanda said on Tuesday it had signed a $400 million deal to produce bottled gas from Lake Kivu, which emits such dense clouds of methane it is known as one of Africa’s “Killer Lakes”.

The project by Gasmeth Energy, owned by U.S. and Nigerian businessmen and Rwandans, would suck gas from the lake’s deep floor and bottle it for use as fuel. This should, in turn, help prevent toxic gas bubbling to the surface.

The seven-year deal, signed on Friday, was announced on Tuesday.

Rwanda already has two companies that extract gas from Lake Kivu to power electricity plants.

Clare Akamanzi, chief executive of the Rwanda Development Board, told Reuters bottled methane would help cut local reliance on wood and charcoal, the fuels most households and tea factories use in the East African nation of 12 million people.

We expect to have affordable gas which is environmentally friendly,” she said. “We expect that people can use gas instead of charcoal, the same with industries like tea factories instead of using firewood, they use gas. It’s part of our green agenda.

The deep waters of Lake Kivu, which lies in the volcanic region on Rwanda’s border with the Democratic Republic of Congo, emit such dense clouds of methane that scientists fear they might erupt, killing those living along its shore.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-r...source=twitter
Old February 18th, 2019, 12:10 AM   #475
SaleheRehani

Likes (Received): 16

Hey guys, I started a sports program I like to call Umoja Sports, where I assist sports teams (mainly for basketball) by providing pro quality player development training so that amateur sport in the Congo can become more professionalized in standard. So far my project has put me in contact with coaches and players from Kinshasa, Lumbumbashi, Bukavu, Kisangani and Goma, and I'm even in contact with the coach of the national basketball teams and the basketball side of AS Vita club, but for some of the other clubs like in Kisangani and Bukavu, the coaches are saying that they could use more equipment so I figured it would be worth the share.

My friend running a basketball academy in Bukavu coaches over 300 kids from 8-18 and they have adult team but the coach says he could use 50 balls, jump ropes, shoes and cones.

I'm not sure what kind of connections everyone on here has, but if there is any way you can help them with supplies it would be much appreciated.

Umoja liked this post
SaleheRehani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 10:17 PM   #476
Umoja

Le N- Kivu tjrs pilote a désormais sa propre fonction publique provinciale. Signature ce jour de l'Arrêté portant admission sous statut des agents & cadres de l'administration publique provinciale. Au total 870 agents ont leurs numéros matricule dont le grade élevé est DIRECTEUR

kinkiesse liked this post
Old February 21st, 2019, 06:24 PM   #477
Umoja

Paluku to leave North Kivu Governor office..He preferred the National Assembly

Old March 6th, 2019, 11:28 PM   #478
Umoja

Old March 6th, 2019, 11:29 PM   #479
Umoja

Too much insecurities in Kivu provinces...
Old March 9th, 2019, 12:24 AM   #480
Umoja

The Virunga National has just opened...

Virunga National Park is greatly saddened to confirm the death of Ranger Freddy Mahamba Muliro during an attack on a ranger position on Thursday, March 7th: https://virunga.org/news/ranger-freddy-killed-in-action

Sponsored Links
Advertisement