General Brisbane Retail Thread - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Queensland > Everything else

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2011, 06:33 AM   #21
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 12428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Is_The_Limit View Post
I think there have been a few generalisations in this conversation.

1. The older generation is not comprised solely of whingers and NIMBYs. If it weren't for some people in the older generation, Brisbane could still be struggling to forge a path for itself.
2. Not all the younger generation think Brisbane is a great place and are 'dedicated to the cause' so to speak. I for one, am not passionate about Brisbane despite being a born and bred Queenslander and having lived in Brisbane for four years.
You're right I am generalising. There were, of course, certain members of the older generation that helped put Brisbane onto the path it is now, and as you said, not all the younger generation are dedicated to Brisbane. It all comes down to vision and how vocal people are. Annoyingly though, a lot of the most vocal people on the topic of Brisbane are the old NIMBY's who whinge on about how Brisbane is still this backwater hick town, but they seem to want it to stay that way the way they go on about it when changes happen!

While there are a breed of entrepreneurs from younger generations who are truly reshaping the city from the ground up one small piece as a time. Be it through big ticket cultural items like GoMA, or smaller ones like local retailers who work towards introducing new brands and products to the city's retail mix, or venue owners who are creating new restaurants, bars and entertainment venues that are not only a new concepts for Brisbane, but in some cases were a national first that is has been copied interstate. These are the people that are responsible for Brisbane evolving before our eyes at a grassroots level. Small ventures and small changes that are beginning to alter the bigger picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDreamer View Post
I wouldn't say I'm passionate either- I'm leaving the country next week for bigger and better (Seoul). However I do have a hope for this place coz it does have a lot going for it. But I'd get too frustrated if I had to stay and see it struggle along to achieve anything. Sad really.
While you and Sky may say you aren't passionate about Brisbane, you both are still looking at Brisbane threads are you not? Watching things changing and building built while lamenting the things that need to be fixed and projects that have failed? Not everyone can have a hand in physically shaping a city, but everyone can support the people making the changes, and can hope for improvements in the areas that need them. Brisbane isn't Sydney or Seoul, not by a long shot, but it is still evolving, carving it's own identity, and who knows where this path will lead Brisbane!
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2011, 07:09 AM   #22
Timothy

Likes (Received): 226

Very well said.
Timothy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #23
KDreamer
Marketing & Fashion, yo.

Likes (Received): 652

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandavid88 View Post
Brisbane isn't Sydney or Seoul, not by a long shot, but it is still evolving, carving it's own identity, and who knows where this path will lead Brisbane!
This is exactly what I want to see and what I love about how Brisbane is changing. I don't want Brisbane to be a Melbourne 2.0 (so many people I talk to wish it were) or another Sydney, I'd love it for Brisbane to be different. But sometimes I feel as though Brisbane becomes a victim of it's own problems and people can't get past it. Too often do I hear the excuse that we're not big enough or 'mature' enough etc.

There are times when I wish we'd do a 'Singapore' and just break off from the rest of Australia; namely the dogma. LOL. Obviously that's a horrible thought, wouldn't work, and it's just me fantasising, but Brisbane needs to break away and be different.

So I do care about this city, but I wouldn't go as far to say 'passionate' (yet).
KDreamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #24
KDreamer
Marketing & Fashion, yo.

So back to retail anyone? haha
Old December 6th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #25
Timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDreamer View Post
There are times when I wish we'd do a 'Singapore' and just break off from the rest of Australia; namely the dogma. LOL. Obviously that's a horrible thought, wouldn't work, and it's just me fantasising, but Brisbane needs to break away and be different.
(yet).
I often wish that South East Queensland would break away for FNQ (or vice versa). Having a smaller state would bring its problems (ie - no mining boom), but at least we wouldn't have to deal with the crazies up north!

(Cue the arguments regarding the pros and cons of this plan)

Nathan - thanks for the photos. I always appreciate the effort that people go to to take photos. It makes this whole forum much more interesting!!
Old December 6th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #26
KDreamer
Marketing & Fashion, yo.

Yeah Nathan, thanks for the insight. I didn't realize some of those buildings you mentioned had quite the history. It was fascinating to walk by today and have a quick look up; something that I should do more often in Brisbane.
Old December 7th, 2011, 01:33 AM   #27
SoulvisionQ1
New Urbanist

Likes (Received): 1409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Having a smaller state would bring its problems (ie - no mining boom)
You'd be surprised... the majority of core state revenue actually is generated by land taxes and other taxes of metropolitan areas in SEQ.
SoulvisionQ1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 01:45 AM   #28
Timothy

So we're right to split then?
Old December 7th, 2011, 02:57 AM   #29
SoulvisionQ1
New Urbanist

Mining revenue obviously sure helps put the icing on the cake but if SEQ detached from the rest of QLD we could definitely still thrive. Our state is so big, so funds are spread over huge distances, in some instances it may make sense to split the state up.

I am a 'proud' Queenslander, however I am of the opinion that the state should be split in two, NQ and SQ. People up north always complain that they loose out because the focus is on the major population centre of SEQ, which is entirely true... and it should be that way because more people live here. However they deserve to have better governance given economic activity and growing populations up there. If the north split off then a range of issues could be addressed that we cannot address now.

I've probably just opened up a huge can of worms... oh well. Sorry to deviate from the retail discussion.
Old December 7th, 2011, 04:51 AM   #30
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Is_The_Limit View Post
2. Not all the younger generation think Brisbane is a great place and are 'dedicated to the cause' so to speak. I for one, am not passionate about Brisbane despite being a born and bred Queenslander and having lived in Brisbane for four years.
no way, really?
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #31
nathandavid88

While SEQ may be able to operate as a separate state, I think that the mining revenue is good enough reason to keep it! Yes, it may be selfish seeing as the revenue from up there then comes down to the South East corner, but the majority of the state's population is down here after all.

Anyway, back on topic, continuing the Queen Street pictorial, I'm tackling the largest, most controversial complex in the QSM – The Myer Centre. Essential to the creation of the mall as we know it, it is still probably the largest Shopping Complex in the CBD in terms of complex size (not necessarily in terms of retail space though). Since this is a Queen St pictorial, the ugly backend will be covered later.

I think the easiest way to split the Queen Street frontage is into two halves – The Myer Department Store frontage and then the frontage of the rest of the centre. The Myer frontage, measured by facades, spans from The York Hotel facade on the left to the Barry & Roberts Ltd Facade on the right, with the modern middle entrance section. At ground level, apart from the entrance into Myer, the frontage is made up of the store windows (and fire escape), which are actually designed to match the windows of the facade above and have stylised representations of each facade's columns in between the windows.

This portion of the Myer Centre I don't hate...the Myer frontage is all at grade and the whole frontage still looks fresh. The facades (heritage and not) could use a good clean, and the maroon logo some new paint. But other than that it's not too bad. Inside, Myer doesn't look bad considering that it's essentially a 20+year old store!

From here, is where the Myer Centre starts to become a bit of a mess of entrances up and down to different levels due to the slope of Queen Street.

We have Escalators down, but to which level? The signage shows Coles, Target the Cinemas and food outlets making it look like you go down the – except that the cinemas are up top, and Coles and Target are on different levels.

Next we see the Roger David street frontage (although the store is accessed within the centre) and a nice advertising design covering the fire escape doors which were probably previously blank. A much better outcome that blank doors. More of this kind of thinking should be employed around the other side on Elizabeth St.

Now we have stairs down to the same mystery level as the escalators. They actually go down to the Elizabeth St Level, but there's no signage to really indicate that, and I personally feel there should be. It couldn't hurt at least.

And here we have the entrance to Roger David and the Queen Street Level entry showing the upwards slope. Remember that this is at the same level as the Myer Department store entry, and shows just how much the Mall slopes.

Then we have a few more shop fronts, namely for Lush and Jo Mercer. The Jo Mercer frontage, is directly below the Telegraph Building facade and one again, it looks like the street level openings correspond to the spacing of the windows on the above facade.

The Jo Mercer frontage is a pretty good one, but the stairs to the bus stop below, and the juice stand do block a large portion of it's frontage. It especially blocks the view of the store from the across the mall when walking from down from George St, and it makes that section one of a few spots along the Myer Centre that are quite dark and cramped. The section near under the York Hotel facade suffers from it too, albeit not quite as bad.

Now we come to the final section of the Myer Centre, under the Hotel Carlton Facade. Unlike the other heritage facades, which have flat frontages under them, the Hotel Carlton facade sits above Queen St's northern most entry to the Myer Centre. It's a split level entry, walk down the slop and you're on the Elizabeth St Level, go up and your on the Queen St level, another good example of the slope of the street.

An interesting point I'll make is that the black street level facades between here and Roger David, as you may have guessed, are a modern alteration. Originally I'm pretty certain that all those sections of street frontage had the "pink marble" cladding like that on either side of the Myer entry, and also had the stylised column representations. Should the black be continued up around Myer's windows, or did you prefer the original cladding? Any comments?

I decided against photographing the inside...we all know what it looks like in there anyway really. What I did photograph though was the floor layout, which shows the rabbit warren layout of the centre. While I'm usually pretty good working my may around shopping centres, I can still get lost in the Myer Centre if I'm not careful, especially on the Albert, Elizabeth and Queen St levels. Working out how to get out onto Queen St can sometimes be a bit of a challenge!

Old December 7th, 2011, 08:01 AM   #32
Timothy

I think the Myer Centre is worst on the lower levels - the upper levels I can manage - but I agree that the lower levels are ridiculous.

Thanks for the photos!
Old December 10th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #33
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

I've managed to sneak a few of the inside on Brisbane visits but I find the bottom two levels to be the most confusing and yes even ended up at the bus station unnecessarily.

The Myer Christmas Windows look nice. I wish someone can get some closeups of this years theme.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 07:07 AM   #34
CantStopProgress
The big city

Likes (Received): 1113

Well all this talk about the Myer centre (here and in the other thread) had me talking to my dad and apparently, back in the day, he & mum were investors and he dug this out of his filing cabinet for me.

So this is my little xmas gift for y'all

CantStopProgress no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 03:27 AM   #35
Brisbane_Rulz

Likes (Received):

very good thanks stop.

I'm in the MC's corner - its ok for what it is. I do agree with a few of the points, but it has always been a maze. If I had power (here we go ) would remove the duplicates (L'Occitane, RM Williams, Rodd & Gun, Swoviski whatever) and put in more names. Make it more like Melbourne Central that's also a bit of a maze.

Having said that I'd prefer you all to redesign it, maybe it might have a huge makeover one day (inevitable?) but then again nobody has made Toowong Village a place for a makeover which has been talked about but nothing happens. Maybe with MC & TV people don't like the obsticle courses they are, but Westfield Pitt Street Mall isn't exactly people friendly either, nor is Westfield Paramatta. Then again, the only real places I have not have issues in are Chadstone Westfield and Indooroopilly where hallways are long and large.

Have a really good new year all, its been great to read all your views and debate, my only wish is we see the end of many of the huge construction projects that litter our city as it grows to take it's place with Sydney and Melbourne, which will happen, but maybe not in a good way and that we see more new one's become reality during this odd economic time in our history, and of course that we keep some to all of our history.

Oh and ************ Zara to open so people will get over it, if I see one more we want Zara person I'll move to Iceland unless something goes wrong they ARE coming, horrible stock or not, we will have one.
Old December 12th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #36
SoulvisionQ1
New Urbanist

I would prefer Gap, H&M or even a Ben Sherman store then a Zara.
Old December 13th, 2011, 01:48 AM   #37
nathandavid88

You'll get the Ben Sherman part of your wish, as it will be opening in stage 2 of the Wintergarden. It, along with Lee Jeans, Coach and Rockport, gives me hope that we'll see more new brands in stage 2 than repeats of what's in the Myer Centre, and brands fleeing from QueensPlaza.

Also, the new IGA Supermarket in Elizabeth Street opens tomorrow. It is IGA's first CBD supermarket and from what I've seen through the windows, looks like a pretty decent store. I believe it's owned by the same people who own the Valley HQ store. Can only be a good thing for Elizabeth Street.
Old December 14th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #38
KDreamer
Marketing & Fashion, yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulvisionQ1 View Post
I would prefer Gap, H&M or even a Ben Sherman store then a Zara.
H&M, Topman, & Uniqlo for me. Zara isn't really my style.

Oh and you can't forget Adidas Originals, Nike and a good Converse store. We don't really have many 'nice' sports retail stores in the mall.
Old December 16th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #39
nathandavid88

Just noticed that a DA (A003243437) has been put up for 114 Queen Street, the Heritage Listed Gardams Building, currently housing Vodafone:

No documents up yet to show what they're planning to do, but if it involves one less Vodafail in the QSM, I'll be happy! This building has some serious potential and could easily be a lot more than just a phone shop. It's actually made up of two buildings back to back. The building that fronts Queen Street is now a 3 story (originally just 2 story I believe) + basement building that features a large open void covering the front half of the building (from Queen St frontage back) with two mezzanine–style half levels above the back half , while the building that faces Burnett Lane is a 4 story + basement building. The two buildings are connected at basement, ground and first floor levels, with the second floor separated by a mechanical platform and only the Burnett Lane building having a third floor.
Old December 19th, 2011, 12:11 AM   #40
nathandavid88

Just to copy what I posted in the Regent/Wintergarden thread, there's been a few changes to the Wintergarden that have happened over the last two weeks. Firstly, we have the new entrance to O'Malleys next to the elevators in place and operational. The temporary entrance in the centre next to the elevators is gone, the stairs removed and the hole in the floor has been concreted over.

Next up is the shiny new entrance up to Level 3 (which will renumbered level 1, as the two lower levels are now Lower and Upper Ground respectively.) I didn't go upstairs, when I took the photo, but the last time I was up there a few months ago it had been renovated in some spots but not yet overall, so I would take a guess that the main areas that are open to the public would have been made over by now.

The final larger change is the new images on the hoardings advertising the announced new arrivals for stage two.

And the new "gourmet food court."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
extension, mandurahboyz, redevelopment, shopping