General Brisbane Retail Thread - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Queensland > Everything else

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #41
Chuckeh

Likes (Received): 1368

a bunch of job offers for apple have just popped up in Brisbane - i'm guessing our CBD apple store is opening very soon
Chuckeh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #42
Brisbane_Rulz

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckeh View Post
a bunch of job offers for apple have just popped up in Brisbane - i'm guessing our CBD apple store is opening very soon
Yes saw that online, it is finally going to happen.
Old January 9th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #43
Timothy

Likes (Received): 226

It opens in March
Timothy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #44
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 12415

And I can't wait to see the store! Not a massive fan of the products (ironically I'm typing this on the Mac Pro I use at work) but the store should be spectacular!

Something else worth putting here is this article I found and posted on the Retail News & Discussion thread in the Skybar section:

Anyway, came across this interesting smartcompany.com.au article that might be of interest. 10 Topshops around the country...where will they all go I wonder?

Quote:
Gerry Harvey says there’s no incentive to open new stores, but Topshop founder wants nine more

Monday, 09 January 2012 10:30
Madeleine Heffernan

Two of the heavyweights of global retail have declared the retail sector to be at a "turning point", with Harvey Norman chair Gerry Harvey saying retail is being dwarfed by the might of the resources sector and Topshop founder Philip Green saying the days when "every retailer could sell a million white T-shirts" are over.

But their views on and plans for Australia are vastly different: Green has just opened a Topshop store in Australia and nine more are tipped to follow, whereas Harvey says he will chase growth overseas, particularly in Malaysia.

Harvey says for the first time in its 30-year history, the electronics and white goods retailer won't open a major new store in Australia this year.

"It's got to the stage where there's no incentive to open a major new store in Australia. None," Harvey told the Australian Financial Review.

"Some will survive, some won't," Harvey is quoted saying. "The whole Australian economy is running on resources. The rest – retail, tourism, media – we're all struggling."

By contrast, fast-fashion giant Topshop is tipped to open 10 stores altogether across the country, following on from its new Melbourne store and a Sydney store planned for the second half of 2012.

"Now you've got to be quicker, faster, newer, as opposed to the lazy buying of the past – that's ended. We've all got to work a lot harder," Green told the Weekend Financial Review.

"In the past every retailer could sell a million white T-shirts. That's all gone. People want to have a reason to buy – the game's changed," he added.

But Lisa Tartaglia of the Australian Centre for Retail Studies is not so sure that retail is at a critical point, saying some retail groups are soaring while others struggle.

"I wouldn't expect expansion to be happening here because I don't think their [Harvey Norman's] sales have been through the roof," Tartaglia says.

"But Masters [the Woolworths hardware chain] is expanding rapidly, and for clothes, the international brands are coming to Australia and I think there's room for that."

She says retailers this year need to focus on getting traffic in their stores, improving loyalty schemes, and ensuring they have a good online sales channel.

"Consumers are getting quite demanding. It's so easy for a consumer to look on their mobile and see a product is being sold elsewhere."

She says loyalty cards are often underused by retailers.

"They are perfect in understanding customers. A little reward that brings people into their stores – something as simple as a $5 voucher – can help."

According to Green, Topshop opened here partly because demand for its product online was impressive – even without advertising.

"It surprised us how strong it's been. There's definitely demand down there."

Ten Topshops nation wide surely points to at least one for Brisbane you would think! Wonder where it might go...

Last edited by nathandavid88; January 9th, 2012 at 11:55 PM.
nathandavid88 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #45
Brisbane_Rulz

Likes (Received):

It will come (unless the world economy gets worse), but like Zara and Gap it will be ages for Brisbane, look at the Apple Store's delay. I think it brings the point that the online and bricks stores should co-exist. What I think is just have one of Zara or Topshop in each of the 5 cities. All this let's open so many especially in Sydney is crazy now if what Gerry says is true. Destination shopping might be the way to go. By the way on a seperate note, it's sad to see Broadway on the Mall fading. Like Toowong Village it needs a facelift but I don't see that happening. Typo and T Bar are in major centres like Pitt Street Westfield and Chadstone, so it's not Supre bogan level in Broadway. Harvey Norman is fine there, but Broadway has, as they do, become outdated. I know Garfunkle may be going to WG but I'm not buying dresses so I have not gone in to ask the SA's. Scotch and Soda is out of place there really.I think the pressure will come to do it up but not for a long time due to money, but they could turn it into something decent - maybe all the big names could go there. Just saying.
Old January 10th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #46
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6947

Apple Store delay? Even Melbourne doesn't have one in its CBD. I doubt though, that if Topshop plan on opening 10 stores Brisbane will be the last.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #47
Sky_Is_The_Limit

Likes (Received): 7468

Brisbane Rulz using your analogy Apple shouldn't be opening a new store in the CBD because they already have one at Chermside. It's pretty obvious that retailers will open stores where there is demand and therefore if there is need for more than one Zara or Topshop in a city, so be it.
Sky_Is_The_Limit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #48
Sky_Is_The_Limit

Likes (Received): 7468

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandavid88 View Post
And I can't wait to see the store! Not a massive fan of the products (ironically I'm typing this on the Mac Pro I use at work) but the store should be spectacular!

Something else worth putting here is this article I found and posted on the Retail News & Discussion thread in the Skybar section:

Anyway, came across this interesting smartcompany.com.au article that might be of interest. 10 Topshops around the country...where will they all go I wonder?

Ten Topshops nation wide surely points to at least one for Brisbane you would think! Wonder where it might go...
Options in the immediate future are limited. I don't think they'll open at Borders in the city so perhaps Carindale?
Sky_Is_The_Limit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #49
Timothy

Stores opening in new locations has more to do with available retail space in areas where they want to open as opposed to demand. I doubt there would be more demand for Zara in Adelaide than in Brisbane - but there was new space for the stores to open that was right for Zara (ie - Burnside).
Old January 11th, 2012, 12:39 AM   #50
nathandavid88

That's the issue annoyingly! The places to put a big store like that in the CBD are very very limited! I still feel the biggest site they could get would be Youngs Building. Wrong end of Edward St I know, but beggars can't be choosers! Waltons in the Valley would be a great fit size wise if they did up the Brunswick Street section properly (like giving it a half decent paint job!). I think the Valley heart will really start to come into it's own as the QSM and Edward St precincts start to fill up, and I think it will be fashion brands that will drive such a push!

A complete and utter pipe dream, but I'd love to see retail in Brisbane decentralise a little just so that some top end stores could open up in The Mansions and Harris Terrace on George St near Parliament House! The setting would be perfect for them, in the Mansions especially!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisbane_Rulz View Post
By the way on a seperate note, it's sad to see Broadway on the Mall fading. Like Toowong Village it needs a facelift but I don't see that happening. Typo and T Bar are in major centres like Pitt Street Westfield and Chadstone, so it's not Supre bogan level in Broadway. Harvey Norman is fine there, but Broadway has, as they do, become outdated. I know Garfunkle may be going to WG but I'm not buying dresses so I have not gone in to ask the SA's. Scotch and Soda is out of place there really.I think the pressure will come to do it up but not for a long time due to money, but they could turn it into something decent - maybe all the big names could go there. Just saying.
Keep in mind that Broadway has recently been bought by ISPT, who are the ones behind the Regent/Wintergarden redevelopments. It's very much a case of watching this space I reckon!
Old January 11th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #51
Brisbane_Rulz

Likes (Received):

Again you make good points Nath. Could you imagine if they did to Waltons what they are doing to Gowings in Sydney? Topshop, Zara and all the one's so many are obessed with in Waltons. Pipe dream, but good idea. Just don't think that the homeless are not outside Gucci in Pitt Street. The idea of having Waltons as a mecca luxury centre is sensible, but obviously, unrealistic but hey good idea.
Old January 11th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #52
Timothy

Cause Zara and TopShop are just so luxury...
Old January 12th, 2012, 01:18 AM   #53
nathandavid88

Lets not argue over semantics.

I know, a lot would need to be done to that section of Brunswick St and the building itself, but I think that in time we will see this happen. The Ann St and Brunswick St (Empire side of the Mall) retail precincts have all taken off, as has Winn Lane and new developments like M&A are helping link it up to James St, so I think it's a natural progression from there. My prediction is that we'll see stores opening in TCB (I can hope at least).

Anyway, we're getting offtrack, as there's a more appropriate thread for this discussion!

To get back on topic, and sticking with the idea of luxury precincts, how awesome would it be to see The Mansions and Harris Terrace opposite become a luxury precinct! Two prime examples of Victorian Architecture in Brisbane. *Dreams*

*Image from Your Brisbane: Past and Present

Old January 13th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #54
Brisbane_Rulz

Likes (Received):

When you say luxury do you mean the none brand types? Why I ask is, I can't picture say a Burburry going in there, but say Jan Logan or other jewellers yes.

I just wish TCB would have been a hit, sad, but, it's being sort of kept alive maybe it was a better place for your banks etc. They tried.
Old January 25th, 2012, 05:15 AM   #55
nathandavid88

It wouldn't necessarily just have to be the no-brand types. Look at the Louis Vuitton store in Melbourne and Sydney, which are inside heritage buildings with minimal external changes. It wouldn't suit some brands, sure, but other might be interested potentially these buildings ever became part of a second high end retail precinct.

Anyway, to bring this thread up to date a bit, we have some DAs for the flagship QSM frontage stores in the Wintergarden:

French Connection:

Seed:

Not to mention detailed images of the facades for the Wintergarden, more of which can be seen in the Regent/Wintergarden Thread

And are getting a better look at some internal features like the glass floors:

Old January 30th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #56
nathandavid88

A few changes are happening along Elizabeth St, with the tenants of neighbouring buildings Statham House and the "Fashion Cafe" buildings having closed down/are currently closing down.

The "Fashion Cafe" Building looked to be completely empty with some internal works occurring (new internal walls possibly) on the ground floor, while the ground floor tenancy in Statham House was holding a Closing Down sale. I'm not certain whether that Ideal Dating mob had gone as well though, I'll check that next time around.

The big interest I have with this as it might further indicate where Elizabeth Street's retail mix is heading. With the redevelopment of the Regent and Wintergarden underway, 123 Albert and it's associated laneway complete and Grocon's 55 Elizabeth Street going up as we speak (which killed a fair few retailers when Treasury Row was demolished), the physical makeup of the street is continuing to evolve. Meanwhile new retailers including the CBD's only IGA (pictured below) are showing that the retail mix is starting to evolve as well.

Statham House and "Fashion Cafe" both feature a single tenancy on each level, and could prove to be of interest for mid-sized retailers, the questions is just who might they attract?
Old January 30th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #57
Fyver

Likes (Received): 741

The white and grey is rather elegant, hope they keep it clean.

FWIW, IGA store at SW1 is now open.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are not those of my employer, its subsidiaries, clients and partners, not necessarily mine, probably not necessary, and don't intentionally mean to kill the fun.
Fyver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #58
nathandavid88

Yep, that's IGA South Brisbane and it is owned and run by the same guys as the Elizabeth St store (they also run the Valley HQ store as well I believe). All three are quite nice stores. I personally prefer the Elizabeth St store over the Coles Expresses in the Mall.
Old January 31st, 2012, 01:24 AM   #59
Brisbane_Rulz

Likes (Received):

Agree Nath, and the service is generally better, in fact the IGA signs don't ruin the landscape either. A perfect fit, I do miss Mitre ten but now I don't live near the inner city that's not a problem to get hardware.

I am not in favour of censorship but be good if Club X moved.
Old January 31st, 2012, 01:34 AM   #60
nathandavid88

Mitre 10 is still there, they've just moved into the basement! And I don't mind there being an adult shop in Elizabeth St, but I agree with one of them closing. Are two really needed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
extension, mandurahboyz, redevelopment, shopping