DOWNTOWN | 5th & Broadway | Mixed-Use | 34 fl + 25 fl | U/C - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Nashville

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 5th, 2013, 02:37 AM   #1
MIRYDI

Likes (Received): 263

DOWNTOWN | 5th & Broadway | Mixed-Use | 34 fl + 25 fl | U/C

A first look at the plans for the old convention center site
Team led by Cornerstone, Emery envisions $230M project featuring office tower

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2013/1...on_center_site

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New design:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; December 17th, 2015 at 08:38 AM.
MIRYDI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #2
L&C Tower IS KING

Likes (Received): 25

This is Pat Emery remember? He ended his partnership with Market Street in The Gulch! He consistently builds in Brentwood and Franklin to get businesses AWAY from downtown Nashville. I would even dare to say he HATES Nashville.

He has no real interest in developing in the downtown core. I don't see this happening. 2017 is a long way off.
L&C Tower IS KING no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #3
MIRYDI

So did you come out of retirement to just make a bunch of negative posts or what?...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #4
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 54029

Reminds me of the Midtown Tower in Rochester:

A curious mid-century classic that's finally getting a big refresh. Maybe not to everyone's taste but an interesting addition to the urban fabric.

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #5
MIRYDI

Here is all the proposals for the old convention center site. The last one was the one that was chosen.

Chartwell

Rubicon

Trammell Crow

REI

Emery
Old December 11th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #6
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 993

Out of all of the proposals, I will have to say that this is the 2nd worse proposal for the old convention site. Sorry, but the base doesn't appeal to me at all. The tower looks uninspired.

Rubicon would have been my pick. Trammel Crow after.

TampaMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #7
MIRYDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
Out of all of the proposals, I will have to say that this is the 2nd worse proposal for the old convention site. Sorry, but the base doesn't appeal to me at all. The tower looks uninspired.

Rubicon would have been my pick. Trammel Crow after.
Believe me, your not the only one that feels that way. The tower itself is pretty nice, other than I wish it was facing North and South versus East and West, but I and most others agree that the base is pretty ugly.

Last edited by desertpunk; December 12th, 2013 at 12:12 AM. Reason: oops! wrong post!
Old December 12th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #8
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 54029

Yeah, the Rubicon was awesome. I don't dislike the winning proposal at all but it is jumbled and fairly odd. Could turn out better than people expect.

Any word on height?

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 03:01 AM   #9
MIRYDI

It's definitely a vast improvement over what is there now that's for sure, but hoping there is sort of redesign for the base atleast.

I agree that the Rubicon design would have been awesome! Then of course there was this design below that I liked a lot too.

As for height...one article said 28 stories, another said 25. I tried to do a floor count on the render but gave up lol. I'd say it's definitely going to be in the 300ft range, just not sure if it's on the high or low end.
Old December 12th, 2013, 03:19 AM   #10
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 993

Doing my best to match both renderings and count up, it looks closer to 28 floors.

TampaMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 01:20 AM   #11
MIRYDI

The Convention Center Authority approved today a memorandum of understanding naming Spectrum | Emery as the exclusive master developer of the old Nashville Convention Center.

Authority approves Spectrum | Emery for redevelopment project
http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/1...opment_project

Also in the article the Convention Center authority announced that the Music City Center generated more than $47 million in economic impact during the first and second quarter of the 2013-14 fiscal year. Since the beginning of last July, the MCC hosted 212 events with 142,236 attendees. These events generated 47,231 room nights for about $47.23 million in economic impact, according to the authority.
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #12
MIRYDI

Haven't looked at this for a while now, and it still hurts my eyes to this day Lol! Sad that this was chosen over some of those other designs...
Old May 20th, 2014, 03:34 AM   #13
MIRYDI

- dmca
Old July 9th, 2014, 01:45 AM   #14
MIRYDI

A poster on UP came across some updated renderings for the old convention center site. The renderings look a lot better then the older ones for sure as they were kind of a train wreck. The best part about these new renderings (at least IMO) are that the tower portion seems to be orientated a different way. It seem's like they rotated it to where it's not blocking out a huge chunk of the skyline like before. Anyway's, here is a link to the site where the new renders are from. There is some pretty cool pictures of the new MCC as well. http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/...9#.U7yBuvldVhz

Old August 14th, 2014, 04:22 AM   #15
MIRYDI

- dmca
Old August 15th, 2014, 03:28 AM   #16
Hankster

Likes (Received): 12

This is great news! I can't wait to see what the final design looks like, and the wait shouldn't be all that long if they want to break ground in only seven months. I'm hoping it looks more like the old Rubicon proposal. That one was awesome, IMO.

MIRYDI liked this post
Hankster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 05:23 AM   #17
Blocked ID

Likes (Received): 39

Oh my god. I'm so jealous of all these skyscrapers Nashville is getting, at this rate, you guys will have a skyline up there with Charlotte.

MIRYDI liked this post
Blocked ID no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 02:01 PM   #18
MIRYDI

- dmca
Old November 4th, 2014, 02:22 PM   #19
MIRYDI

New development...

The price for this project is now reportedly $400M, has been redesigned and apartments have now been added. It seems there will be at least two towers, and work is said to begin next summer.

Some of the numbers...

215,000 sq ft of retail, entertainment, and dining space
-350 apartments
-300,000 sq ft office tower (up to 18 stories)
-60,000 sq ft of "creative offices"
-140,000 sq ft conference center
-40,000 sq ft National Museum of African American Music
-2,500 parking spaces

This project is going to be HUGE for Nashville.

Photo by Gensler

$400 million project reimagines Lower Broadway
http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...dway/18446115/

Quote:
Imagine retail shops, restaurants and entertainment venues wrapping around the Broadway and Fifth Avenue North sections of a redeveloped Nashville Convention Center property with an office building plus new convention and meeting space for the Renaissance Nashville Hotel facing Commerce Street.

Then picture an apartment building just down the hill toward Broadway with an amenity deck overlooking the city.

Or consider walking along new pedestrian-friendly streets with sidewalks, landscaping and curbside parking incorporated into the design of the overall 1.9 million-square-foot project eyed for the site at the foot of Lower Broadway.
Quote:
Those are among features of the planned $400 million makeover of the 6.2-acre tract, which received a major boost, with national mixed-use developer OliverMcMillan signing up as developer Pat Emery’s joint venture partner.

“This will lead to a block-by-block more rapid evolution of the downtown because success begets success and the high tide raises all of the boats,” said Dene Oliver, chief executive officer of San Diego-based OliverMcMillan. “We’re going to bring the first-ever live-work-play-shop experience there.”

Involvement of OliverMcMillan, whose Buckhead Atlanta upscale, mixed-use development just won the Urban Land Institute Atlanta’s Project of the Year, is seen as a milestone for the local redevelopment effort. Nationwide, the firm’s various projects have been known to attract upscale retail tenants.

“For them to look at Nashville in the same light as some of the other very large markets in which they’re working sheds a positive light on our city,” said Drew Chorney, a partner in RightSite Partners LLC, a Nashville-based company providing site selection services to retailers and developers.
Quote:
Work could start in summer

Emery bringing OliverMcMillan along as his joint venture partner comes as the local development team he leads faces a Jan. 31 deadline to submit final plans to Nashville’s Convention Center Authority.

The convention center authority picked Emery’s group, which includes Cushman & Wakefield|Cornerstone, to negotiate a contract as the master developer. The authority will then make a recommendation to the Metro Council, which ultimately would have to approve any agreement.

The revised design creates a more open-air feel, with residential units and new streets added to the mix. “The other design had retail, but this will be very successful retail, and this really creates more of a neighborhood with all of the uses,” said Emery, who’s best known as an office developer in Cool Springs.
Quote:
Investment bankers at J.P. Morgan, which has been Emery’s financial backer on past office projects, initiated his initial conversation with OliverMcMillan.

If plans stay on track, work will start in the summer with demolition of the existing convention center structure. The construction is expected to take 2½ years.

Oliver said OliverMcMillan plans to pitch the retail space through its New York offices, with some of the retailers to be similar to those at its Buckhead Atlanta and River Oaks District project in Houston.

“This isn’t necessarily going to be about luxury shopping,” Oliver added. “This is going to be about urban experiential shopping. Nashville is not a hard sell. People get it. There hasn’t been an opportunity like this before. Everything’s been in the mall.”
Quote:
Barry Smith, president of Nashville-based commercial real estate firm Eakin Partners, welcomed the addition of apartments to the plans. “Residential would give the project an additional element, thereby widening its appeal,” he said.

OliverMcMillan has $1.8 billion in projects under construction or just completed in cities such as San Diego, Honolulu, Los Angeles, Denver and Phoenix. Oliver declined to discuss financing of the redevelopment of Nashville Convention Center, but cited the firm’s ties to well-known lenders.

Last edited by MIRYDI; November 4th, 2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old November 26th, 2014, 02:48 AM   #20
MIRYDI

Hey DP, can you change the title on this please? No longer a single tower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
convention center, emery, nashville, redevelopment