POST OFFICE REDEVELOPMENT | PROPOSED - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Milwaukee

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 7th, 2016, 04:08 AM   #1
VVisconsin08

Likes (Received): 9006

POST OFFICE REDEVELOPMENT | PROPOSED

Since it's pretty evident by the illustrations that there are some pretty decent sized towers in the post office redevelopment. I decided to create this thread now. I think this is another huge project that will play a huge role in the continued revitalization of downtown. Here is the first rendering, I will add more information as it becomes available:

Quote:

Old October 7th, 2016, 04:25 AM   #2
splat8

Likes (Received): 6959

I wonder how the Business Journal got this rendering. I periodically check Gensler's website and there has not been anything posted there that I am aware of. If they got them from the developer it would seem to me that this news was going to hit the press soon anyways so maybe we can expect a little more detail to be released tomorrow in response.
Old October 7th, 2016, 04:28 AM   #3
Mesheke

Likes (Received): 1428

When does the lease for the USPS run to?
Mesheke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2016, 04:31 AM   #4
VVisconsin08

I think the news fits with the BizJournals little series on each of the communities in the metro and the development taking place in each of them. It's only fitting they cap it with a new development announcement. I have a feeling we will get a bit more information. The text that is there states:

Quote:
Developer Matt Garrison wants to turn the streets around Milwaukee's downtown US Postal Service building into a 24/7 neighborhood where new towers can grow out of the ground.

Here is the broken link: http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee...ice-rehab.html
Hopefully we get some good insight including a timeline and what they all intend on including in the building tomorrow. Looks impressive so far!

splat8, RN_NM liked this post
VVisconsin08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 04:34 AM   #5
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 5913

I still hate that building. Dynamite is the only answer.
mbradleyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 04:36 AM   #6
Mesheke

Likes (Received): 1428

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
I just showed it to my roommate and he said, "Damn that's ugly".

mbradleyc liked this post
Mesheke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 04:39 AM   #7
VVisconsin08

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
I don't think so, I think the building could really make a statement if developed as illustrated. It's evident that the upper floors would get light wells for more natural light. Which seems like it would be fitting for a cool tech firm to open up shop in. The towers will bring a glassy modern touch and residents to the area. They've incorporated green roofs along with what look like solar panels to keep things eco friendly. The mass transit is already incorporated into the structure and I'm assuming it would include retail as they've previously stated on the ground floors. It could be a really cool project.

splat8, El Mariachi liked this post
Old October 7th, 2016, 04:46 AM   #8
UDubs

Likes (Received): 1323

I didn't realize there was a thread already. Here's a really high resolution version of the original image:

splat8, VVisconsin08, RN_NM liked this post
UDubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 05:01 AM   #9
SledHead

Likes (Received): 427

Not sure I like the hi-res image better. At low-res, I could let my mind fill in some of the blanks. At hi-res, there's not really a whole lot of detail to the skin on those towers. This image is mostly about the green roofs. I do like the intermediate interior atria on the west tower.

There are also some interesting new "inventions", such as 6th street being raised off of grade at Canal St., effectively cutting off the HD museum. It also appears that the Iron Horse and Brix have disappeared? (Also, the tracks across Plankinton/2nd street look a bit like HO scale toy tracks laid across the rendering.)

Seriously, though, don't mind my nit-picking. Overall, it is always a bit exciting to see new development proposals. I think it will be a very long time before we see anything on this site, so I'm not going to get too worked one way or the other just yet.

VVisconsin08 liked this post
SledHead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 05:24 AM   #10
VVisconsin08

SledHead, I agree with you that I think something like this will take some time to come to fruition. I think this is more or less a starting block for these guys. I'm glad they have a vision and I'm glad they are thinking big. This is the kind of projects that this city needs to compete with other metros. I'd imagine that they would need some large tenant to commit to it before anyone would lend them money to do this the only problem I have with that is the fact that Grand Ave is sort of in the same pickle and the Bucks are probably reaching for office users as well. Hopefully one of these projects can draw in a user from outside the metro.

RN_NM liked this post
Old October 7th, 2016, 07:22 AM   #11
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 6134

This is what I always hoped would be dreamed up for the site. A massive mixed use building with connected towers. I prefer they run the entire length of the river but that is probably asking too much.

Love this early rendering.

RN_NM liked this post
El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 02:40 PM   #12
joeyk5180

Likes (Received): 515

Jsonline has an article on it. http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/...lity/91281760/

Quote:
The 1.1 million-square-foot building, 341 W. St. Paul Ave., would undergo a dramatic makeover. That could eventually include two newly built towers at either end of the property, overlooking N. 6th St. and at N. 2nd St., that would be used for offices and housing.

However, those towers are largely meant to show the site's potential, said Matt Garrison, managing principal at building owner R2 Companies, a Chicago-based firm.

Most of Garrison's focus is on the U.S. Postal Service's four-story processing facility, which runs between N. 5th and N. 2nd streets.
Quote:
Also, while Garrison hopes to begin the project sooner rather than later, the Postal Service has a lease that runs until at least 2020. The agency has renewal options that could extend that expiration date for several years.

RN_NM, VVisconsin08 liked this post
joeyk5180 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 03:21 PM   #13
MKE-bound

Likes (Received): 1174

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk5180 View Post
Aw, MAN! I guess later is better than never...
MKE-bound no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 05:48 PM   #14
mbradleyc

I do like this view.

bucksfan15, Mesheke, VVisconsin08, RN_NM liked this post
Old October 7th, 2016, 08:08 PM   #15
mitchdd02

Likes (Received): 480

On a side note, the renderings are somewhat laughable. What happened to 6th St and where did this new main arterial come from (RR/Oregon St?) which is plopped right where Brix and the Iron Horse is located. Also, a lot of those businesses down there apparently no longer have parking lots and just have green space instead. In a perfect world...
mitchdd02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 08:17 PM   #16
MilwaukeeMike
Sliceline CEO of Fun

Likes (Received): 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchdd02 View Post
On a side note, the renderings are somewhat laughable. What happened to 6th St and where did this new main arterial come from (RR/Oregon St?) which is plopped right where Brix and the Iron Horse is located. Also, a lot of those businesses down there apparently no longer have parking lots and just have green space instead. In a perfect world...
I still don't think this is an actual proposal - the JS article says it was pitched... Might be jumping the gun a little early on this one.
MilwaukeeMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 08:33 PM   #17
WisBearcat

Likes (Received): 442

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMike View Post
I still don't think this is an actual proposal - the JS article says it was pitched... Might be jumping the gun a little early on this one.
I think if you read the Bizjournal article it is meant to be a representation of what the end result could be, even if that is 15 years in the future. It also has the advantage of letting people know what is out there. When the new owners go and try and find tenants for the project it is much easier to go to them with these images giving them an idea of the development they could be moving in to.

RN_NM liked this post
WisBearcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 08:46 PM   #18
mbradleyc

I have to think that if the city wants them out badly enough they'll find a way to do it. If this proposal becomes serious enough, there is too much at stake to let it pass.

Having the Speaker of the House in our back yard has to help that.
Old October 7th, 2016, 11:41 PM   #19
splat8

Likes (Received): 6959

I am sure pretty much everyone who has taken the time to read the numerous articles on this proposal has seen the following renderings, but just in case anyone hasn't I thought I would post them here along with a summary of the plans. All of this information is from an article published in the Business Times:

Quote:

According to plans released Friday, the changes would create a total of 980,000 square feet of office space between renovations to the existing structure and an office tower built on its west end. A 282,000 square-foot residential tower would be built on its east end.

Renovations to the existing structure would create 300,000 square feet of space to be filled by restaurants, bars and entertainment venues as well as 212,000 square feet of space for a big box retailer. A 13,000-square-foot extension of the river walk and a 14,000-square-foot pedestrian bridge connecting the building to the Harley-Davidson Museum across the Menomonee river would also be added, according to the plans.

https://www.biztimes.com/2016/10/07/...postal-center/

mbradleyc liked this post
splat8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2016, 12:27 AM   #20
VVisconsin08

The renderings of the backside are pretty incredible. It almost feels like an extension of the Chicago riverwalk that goes right down to the water. It feels very "big city" to me. The cool feature about this project is the fact that once the post office is out of there, this thing can sort of be pieced together in stages. If they land a retail tenant or restaurant or corporate tenant the can move forward with whatever part they need. By giving this thing years to develop and not setting an immediate timeline that allows us to fill out some more of our downtown with other buildings first which i would also consider a win.

RN_NM, mbradleyc, Mesheke liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
milwaukee, mixed use, proposed, redevelopment