POST OFFICE REDEVELOPMENT | PROPOSED - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Milwaukee

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2016, 04:30 AM   #41
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 5911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesheke View Post
So you are saying build around the freeway pillars? I think that would look ugly as hell and not very efficient.
Uglier than a parking lot? They can totally fill a space and do it well. The inside of Pike Place is like a maze. It's mystifying, but fun.

MKE-bound liked this post
mbradleyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2016, 03:06 PM   #42
Newsound

Likes (Received): 55

So I have had a few more thoughts on what could be done with this building. Would it be possible for the light rail to run here? Would be nice to have another indoor connection for the light rail and be close to the Hiawatha line.

MKE-bound liked this post

Last edited by Newsound; October 15th, 2016 at 03:13 PM.
Newsound no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 08:58 PM   #43
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 5911

There is no light rail.

The Intermodal Station is right next door. The streetcar will run out in front of both buildings.
mbradleyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2016, 02:09 AM   #44
splat8

Likes (Received): 6959

Re-direct from the main forum onto the dedicated one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan15 View Post
Gensler designs a new vision for the unloved Milwaukee Post Office

Quote:
Though the Postal Service will remain a tenant in the building for at least the next few years, Gensler’s plans are such that, if given the go-ahead, the project could begin. By working in the currently open land around the building, much of the proposal could be realized without disrupting normal operations.
Sounds like they don't need to wait for the post office to move out before they can begin this project...

VVisconsin08, MKE-bound, RN_NM liked this post
splat8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2017, 05:39 PM   #45
VVisconsin08

Likes (Received): 9006

So.. the more I think about the whole prospect of landing Amazon the more I get excited about this project. This project could be the perfect first phase for Amazon. It has better connections than just about any other site in the city to mass transit. It’s got riverfrontage, it has plenty of space to at least get started. The building could also easily become home to flagship retail stores in the lower levels of the space. Should they ever need to expand, there are underutilized spaces lining the river a block to the east and just north of the freeway. They could easily create their own campus right there.

I hope the developers of this projects are working with the city of Milwaukee on an application.
Old October 14th, 2017, 10:12 AM   #46
Cheer4MU

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVisconsin08 View Post
So.. the more I think about the whole prospect of landing Amazon the more I get excited about this project. This project could be the perfect first phase for Amazon. It has better connections than just about any other site in the city to mass transit. It’s got riverfrontage, it has plenty of space to at least get started. The building could also easily become home to flagship retail stores in the lower levels of the space. Should they ever need to expand, there are underutilized spaces lining the river a block to the east and just north of the freeway. They could easily create their own campus right there.

I hope the developers of this projects are working with the city of Milwaukee on an application.
I agree that the post office would be a very interesting prospect for this project for the many reasons you stated. USPS does have a lease for 2.5 more years at this facility with another 30 year option on top of that, however. I'm sure Amazon and the city could make things happen, but as of right now, it does not fit within their timeline.
Cheer4MU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2017, 06:12 PM   #47
VVisconsin08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheer4MU View Post
I agree that the post office would be a very interesting prospect for this project for the many reasons you stated. USPS does have a lease for 2.5 more years at this facility with another 30 year option on top of that, however. I'm sure Amazon and the city could make things happen, but as of right now, it does not fit within their timeline.
You see, thats the greatest part of it all. We don’t even have to necessarily start with that building. Amazon could build their own building on any of the lots in the nearby viscinity until the post office becomes available.

The entire area around the Post Office seems kind of like it’s cut off from the rest of downtown. Having Amazon build out the area could be just what that area needs to pull it back in. The streetcar is going to be cutting right through there and the amount of lots or underutilized parcels there are significant.

The streetcar would be an incredible connector that links jobs with downtowns existing housing stock and Milwaukee’s cultural amenities. Any neighborhood in which the streetcar reached out into would instantly become a hot neighborhood.

Amazon would benefit from this site as well. Freeway access for employees would be about as good as it gets, the connection to the amtrak station with connections to Chicago, Minneaoplis and Seattle already exist. It would also benefit from being located sandwiched between some of Milwaukee’s hottest neighborhoods, the creative class of the Third Ward and Walkers Point, the up an coming Kilbourntown and the established Juneautown.

The post office site I think could be more of a second phase. That would give Amazon some time to alter the proposal or vision into something that they see fit and could work with.

I really hope they don’t mess this up. They need to put it in a context of “here’s where we were, this is where we are going, would you like to join us?” I think Amazon is probably the best chance we will have at getting this proposal built.

MKERevival, MilwaukeeMax liked this post
VVisconsin08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2017, 06:41 PM   #48
Topper75

Likes (Received): 247

As much as we'd all love to see Amazon locate here, the odds of it happening are astronomical as a much larger, cosmopolitan city with greater mass transit options and an international airport will surely land it. But, if Milwaukee is even serious about making a pitch, I agree that the current Post Office site is the best one - especially if we promote the earlier renderings. On the river, adjacent to the downtown, next to the trendy Third Ward's vibe and the best transit options available in our fair town.

The city leaders need to get aggressive and creative and move the post office out of there ASAP - whether for a proposal to Amazon or any large development. That space is too valuable to be wasted on the USPS for another two years, let alone 30!

phxtravelboy liked this post
Topper75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 03:00 AM   #49
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1667

Quote:

Amazon would benefit from this site as well. Freeway access for employees would be about as good as it gets, the connection to the amtrak station with connections to Chicago, Minneaoplis and Seattle already exist.
I had to laugh at the idea of taking Amtrak from Milwaukee to Seattle. That was pretty funny.
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 03:08 AM   #50
VVisconsin08

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
I had to laugh at the idea of taking Amtrak from Milwaukee to Seattle. That was pretty funny.
I know multiple people that have done it! It’s not that foreign of a concept! Granted it was sort of more of a sightseeing trip vs a commuting trip but it’s an option. I was actually looking into it myself for a summer trip, with a stop in Glacier National Park.
Old October 15th, 2017, 04:17 AM   #51
GarfieldPark

Yeah - sure it would be a nice three day and night sightseeing trip - I agree. I was just laughing to think of it being mentioned like it was an attribute for attracting Amazon. I was imagining an executive wanting to travel from Milwaukee to Seattle for work meetings between corporate offices. That would be funny in my opinion.

phxtravelboy liked this post
Old October 15th, 2017, 04:45 AM   #52
phxtravelboy

Likes (Received): 838

Quote:
I know multiple people that have done it! It’s not that foreign of a concept! Granted it was sort of more of a sightseeing trip vs a commuting trip but it’s an option. I was actually looking into it myself for a summer trip, with a stop in Glacier National Park.
Sorry, but Amtrak MKE-SEA is NOT an option for any sort of business traveler. My job involves booking corporate types on their business travel. To them, time is money; they want to hop on a plane and get to wherever they're going ASAP. I have worked in this industry for over 25 years and believe me, NO business traveler takes Amtrak anywhere except for in the Northeast: NYC to both Boston and DC, and sometimes Philly.
phxtravelboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 05:35 AM   #53
GarfieldPark

I'm sure there are many people on this Milwaukee thread who could tell you about the MANY business people in both Milwaukee and Chicago who travel for business between the two cities on Amtrak's Hiawatha trains.

MKERevival, MilwaukeeMax liked this post
Old October 15th, 2017, 05:39 AM   #54
Id.Wi.

Likes (Received): 492

This is ridiculous. Yes, a business traveler would realistically use the Hiawatha. If it lined up with their schedule they may take the empire builder to Minneapolis but that train only runs once a day so it's unlikely. No way in the world are the taking a two day train ride to Seattle.

On that note, high-speed rail to Chicago Madison and Minneapolis would be huge, which has been extensively discussed on this forum
Id.Wi. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 05:05 PM   #55
eaglesfant37

Likes (Received): 2167

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
I'm sure there are many people on this Milwaukee thread who could tell you about the MANY business people in both Milwaukee and Chicago who travel for business between the two cities on Amtrak's Hiawatha trains.
Where I work has offices in Chicago but our HQ is here in Milwaukee. Almost everyone uses the Hiawatha line when they have to go to the other city.

Also, curious about the "sometimes Philly" comment by Phoenix, because to get to DC from New York or Boston, you have to stop in Philly, no matter which train you take. So I am pretty confident Philly businesses use it too.

MilwaukeeMax liked this post
eaglesfant37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 03:30 AM   #56
phxtravelboy

Likes (Received): 838

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfant37 View Post
Where I work has offices in Chicago but our HQ is here in Milwaukee. Almost everyone uses the Hiawatha line when they have to go to the other city.

Also, curious about the "sometimes Philly" comment by Phoenix, because to get to DC from New York or Boston, you have to stop in Philly, no matter which train you take. So I am pretty confident Philly businesses use it too.
My point being, Amtrak is really only an option for business travelers between major cities that are very close by and that have frequent service. So MKE-CHI and in the Northeast corridor from Boston thru NYC thru Philly to DC. MKE-SEA is a NO WAY. In my job, I've only ever booked Amtrak in the NE corridor as previously mentioned.
phxtravelboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 03:27 AM   #57
Crankbaiter
Crankbaiter

Likes (Received): 754

The PO site is actually an amazing site for Amazon. Everything they want is there. It's crazy but if Amazon really gives it a serious look, it could just win out. Not too many cities have the amenities, transportation links and plot of land to do this. You never know!
Old November 5th, 2017, 03:29 PM   #58
splat8

Likes (Received): 6959

Nothing really new here, I just happened to stumble across the actual website for the project and I don't remember ever seeing it posted so I thought maybe it would be appropriate to do so. The only thing on this site that I don't recall seeing before is the feasibility study / vision plan presentation PDF.

Quote:
An Urban Icon Reimagined

http://mkepostoffice.com/home

mbradleyc, VVisconsin08, RN_NM, wndrlst liked this post
splat8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 05:18 AM   #59
AdmiralsFan24

Likes (Received): 1316

That would've been a pretty great website to send Amazon's way.

Newsound, MKE-bound liked this post
AdmiralsFan24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 06:23 AM   #60
VVisconsin08

This is probably THE most exciting proposal in this city right now besides the Couture which I feel like is as much of a sure thing as it could be at this point. If Amazon were to see this proposal and run with it, it would be a game changer for this city and this proposal. If you look at some of the renderings of this project, you can see there is plenty of room for continued growth in the immediate viscinity. I’m glad to know the developers of this are interested in the long term success of this project and not just the immediate turn around.

Newsound, wndrlst liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
milwaukee, mixed use, proposed, redevelopment