POST OFFICE REDEVELOPMENT | PROPOSED - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Milwaukee

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2017, 09:14 PM   #61
SledHead

Likes (Received): 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat8 View Post
Nothing really new here, I just happened to stumble across the actual website for the project and I don't remember ever seeing it posted so I thought maybe it would be appropriate to do so. The only thing on this site that I don't recall seeing before is the feasibility study / vision plan presentation PDF.

Unless I missed something along the way, the renderings on the website link above appear to be more refined/developed than those initially released with the announcement. The street/river level views, in particular, are much more enticing and engaging now. I really like the vision for the Riverwalk portion of the project, with the continuous stepped edge.

(On the ticky-tack side, the renderer/modelers still seem to struggle with understanding how the 6th st. viaduct and the Marquette interchange work - they've "invented" a few things. Also, the images/models of downtown are outdated - no NML, 833, etc., and the image they've associated with Walker's Point is actaully picture of Broadway in the Third Ward.)

Mesheke liked this post
SledHead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2018, 11:59 PM   #62
splat8

Likes (Received): 6959

This was already posted in the main forum, however I thought this article from the Business Journal deserved a re-post in the dedicated forum as well...

Quote:
Postal Service renews downtown lease, delaying planned redevelopment until at least 2025

The vision of rehabbing the sprawling U.S. Postal Service building in downtown Milwaukee for retail and offices just got pushed at least five years deeper into the future.

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwauke...-delaying.html

VVisconsin08, RN_NM liked this post
splat8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2018, 04:57 AM   #63
VVisconsin08

Likes (Received): 9008

USPS is getting an eviction notice:

Quote:
Chicago developer plans to evict Postal Service from downtown Milwaukee building

https://www.biztimes.com/2018/ideas/...ukee-building/
I'm curious how they will respond and I'm excited to see the possibility of this proposal coming to life!

Old August 29th, 2018, 05:36 AM   #64
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 5913

Hosanna!

atjacobmajor liked this post
mbradleyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2018, 05:52 AM   #65
Mesheke

Likes (Received): 1428

You don't get rid of a paying tenant without plans for the future right?

hailmike liked this post
Mesheke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2018, 05:55 AM   #66
atjacobmajor
KBT Resident & MKE Native

Likes (Received): 334

Oh my god yes. I think this is legit the best project for the city, after the couture, and the best looking one, hands down. Kind of echoing what Nate said, this will transform this sliver of land to one of the hottest stretches in Milwaukee. Have y'all seen the intermodal station at night/with the lights on? Sexy. Very sexy.
Now imagine stepping out to see not only that, but a functioning streetcar, a wonderful combination of clean apartment/office complex with beautiful old renovated buildings (I assume this will drive development in the area, along with the streetcar), a beautiful skyline, beginning right at your feet, and this very attractive facade that looks nothing short of futuristic.
(I understand plans are never final, but I assume the facade will be of similar quality.)

Now, THIS Milwaukee is what we call a win. No wishy-washy "I wanna do this but me no have money" Couture nonsense. No "Me build garbage box building". This is an accomplished developer who's willing to cut the bullshit and hop straight into work. This project will extend the skyline outward and revitalize an entire (albeit small) section of the city. With a project like this, the big green space lots in Walker's Point seem a little bit more attractive as well. Hopefully, we'll see an attractive development (10+ stories I hope) within the next two decades. Whoop whoop!

El Mariachi, lrjohn7, Yeled liked this post
atjacobmajor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2018, 04:11 PM   #67
skylinedude

Likes (Received): 771

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVisconsin08 View Post
USPS is getting an eviction notice:

I'm curious how they will respond and I'm excited to see the possibility of this proposal coming to life!
This is the right move, get the post office out and get this project started. The post office would do just fine moving those operations into vacant warehouse spaces on the south and the northwest side.
skylinedude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2018, 05:12 PM   #68
hybridy

Likes (Received): 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by atjacobmajor View Post
Oh my god yes. I think this is legit the best project for the city, after the couture, and the best looking one, hands down. Kind of echoing what Nate said, this will transform this sliver of land to one of the hottest stretches in Milwaukee. Have y'all seen the intermodal station at night/with the lights on? Sexy. Very sexy.
that pic is just missing the down n outs/heroin addicts who like to camp out with the garbage bags and litter
hybridy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2018, 05:19 PM   #69
Milwaukee Man

Likes (Received): 1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
that pic is just missing the down n outs/heroin addicts who like to camp out with the garbage bags and litter
To be fair that is outside every amtrak station, heck every major european train station.

Some fairly aggressive addicts around the Frankfurt central station
Milwaukee Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2018, 05:57 PM   #70
eaglesfant37

Likes (Received): 2173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Man View Post
To be fair that is outside every amtrak station, heck every major european train station.

I immediately thought of the Frankfurt station too. I stayed in a hostel by the station there overnight and couldn't believe how many addicts there were. Though addicts in Europe tend to be waaaaaayyyyyy less aggressive than the ones in the US.

Last edited by eaglesfant37; August 29th, 2018 at 06:02 PM.
eaglesfant37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2018, 06:36 PM   #71
atjacobmajor

Quote:

I forgot which one, but in Paris there is an entire street packed to the brim with slum markets and people sleeping on the road outside of a station. (And yes, it was like this for a looonngg time before the refugee crisis, you racists.)
Old August 29th, 2018, 06:58 PM   #72
brewcitymilwaukee

Likes (Received): 1577

POST OFFICE REDEVELOPMENT | PROPOSED

1. I’ve never seen heroine users at the intermodal station. Is this really a huge problem or have I just missed it?

2. When I was in Seattle I walked past a conservative estimate of 1,500 homeless people sleeping outside or on the streets near the king street station on my way to Vancouver.

MKERevival liked this post
brewcitymilwaukee está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2018, 07:05 PM   #73
eaglesfant37

Likes (Received): 2173

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcitymilwaukee View Post
1. I’ve never seen heroine users at the intermodal station. Is this really a huge problem or have I just missed it?

2. When I was in Seattle I walked past a conservative estimate of 1,500 homeless people sleeping outside or on the streets near the king street station on my way to Vancouver.
I use the Intermodal Station a few times a year and have never noticed people strung out on heroine. I don't think it is a problem like the poster suggests.
eaglesfant37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2018, 07:06 PM   #74
Milwaukee Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcitymilwaukee View Post

There aren't a huge number, but usually one or two hanging around, *shrug* city stuff to me
Milwaukee Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2018, 07:24 PM   #75
Mr. Milwaukee

Likes (Received): 1503

Quote:
I forgot which one, but in Paris there is an entire street packed to the brim with slum markets and people sleeping on the road outside of a station. (And yes, it was like this for a looonngg time before the refugee crisis, you racists.)
No you're right. I'm sure there are several different problem areas, but we saw a very large encampment/settlement/village under the elevated tracks that run along Boulevard de la Chapelle near Montmartre. Also, our taxi driver from the airport, who was foreign (Arab), basically got attacked by a pack of gypsies. They very aggressively started washing our car as soon as we got off the freeway and wouldn't let him leave unless he paid them for their "services". He refused and got out of the car to basically push them out of the way so he could drive. It was like 4 women and their kids. They started hitting him so he got back in the car and drove off - almost plowing them over. As we drove off he goes "f**king foreigners". It was interesting. We have our issues over here, that's for sure, but Europe is on another level. I'm all for immigration and blending of cultures and whatnot, but to see first hand what's going on in other parts of the world is somewhat frightening. Take for example the gypsies in Paris. They refuse to assimilate, are rampant criminals, and want absolutely nothing to do with "standard" Parisian/western European life. It's a huge problem and I don't know the answer. I don't know if anyone does.
Mr. Milwaukee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2018, 07:53 PM   #76
atjacobmajor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Milwaukee View Post
No you're right. I'm sure there are several different problem areas, but we saw a very large encampment/settlement/village under the elevated tracks that run along Boulevard de la Chapelle near Montmartre. Also, our taxi driver from the airport, who was foreign (Arab), basically got attacked by a pack of gypsies. They very aggressively started washing our car as soon as we got off the freeway and wouldn't let him leave unless he paid them for their "services". He refused and got out of the car to basically push them out of the way so he could drive. It was like 4 women and their kids. They started hitting him so he got back in the car and drove off - almost plowing them over. As we drove off he goes "f**king foreigners". It was interesting. We have our issues over here, that's for sure, but Europe is on another level. I'm all for immigration and blending of cultures and whatnot, but to see first hand what's going on in other parts of the world is somewhat frightening. Take for example the gypsies in Paris. They refuse to assimilate, are rampant criminals, and want absolutely nothing to do with "standard" Parisian/western European life. It's a huge problem and I don't know the answer. I don't know if anyone does.
Gypsies are a different beast compared to migrants they're not educated, they don't come from a sedentary culture. They don't have the drive to live like normal people do. People from the Middle East/North Africa have their problems, sure, but they're still, at least somewhat, civilized people. The Romani are an unfixable problem unless we make sure their kids aren't brainwashed. Also, as a Pole (visit frequently for family, even though I gre up in Milwaukee/Paris), I can acknowledge that these people are just as rampant in Poland. (Side note I'm not being racist here, there are plenty of Romani who escapes this sick mentality and becomes normal members of society. It's not their race which is the problem, it's their culture.) As an ex-Parisian who considers moving back sometime in the future, I hope people can take care of this problem.
Old August 29th, 2018, 08:04 PM   #77
Milwaukee Man

Quote:
Gypsies are a different beast compared to migrants they're not educated, they don't come from a sedentary culture. They don't have the drive to live like normal people do. People from the Middle East/North Africa have their problems, sure, but they're still, at least somewhat, civilized people. The Romani are an unfixable problem unless we make sure their kids aren't brainwashed. Also, as a Pole (visit frequently for family, even though I gre up in Milwaukee/Paris), I can acknowledge that these people are just as rampant in Poland. (Side note I'm not being racist here, there are plenty of Romani who escapes this sick mentality and becomes normal members of society. It's not their race which is the problem, it's their culture.) As an ex-Parisian who considers moving back sometime in the future, I hope people can take care of this problem.
Well now that we have heard from the Einsatzgruppen, can we talk about development?
Old August 29th, 2018, 08:18 PM   #78
atjacobmajor

Quote:
Well now that we have heard from the Einsatzgruppen, can we talk about development?
Right . In all seriousness, though, I can't wait for this project. This is by far my favorite (personal preference! I understand that the NML tower and Couture are more important.) thing to happen to Milwaukee in the past decade. It just will create such a beacon of modernity, as well as extend the skyline across the highway. If this succeeds, along with the Masonic Center Hotel, and Couture, Milwaukee will have three large pieces of ultramodern and rememberable architecture. I can already picture being drunk on the riverwalk and falling in. So many good memories to have here.

lrjohn7 liked this post
atjacobmajor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2018, 03:20 PM   #79
hybridy

Likes (Received): 570

Quote:

u wanna see some nasty sh*t try budapest.

bucksfan15 liked this post
hybridy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2018, 04:49 PM   #80
bucksfan15

Likes (Received): 3148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Milwaukee View Post
The North Africans are pretty aggressive too. Italy is having huge immigration issues. I took a somewhat large, predominantly African American, group of MPS kids to Roma and they got absolutely harassed by the North African refugees. They would follow our mostly underage girls, hitting on them, calling them their African princess and African baby but, once they heard our kids speak, they knew they were American and they would verbally abuse them. It got kind of scary a few times. One guy kept following one of our girls calling her a “stupid black American bitch”. On the other hand, the locals were super rude to our kids until they heard them speak and realized they were American and not African. After that, they were perfectly pleasant to our kids. It was just kind of odd.

The gypsies on the overnight ferries were no joke either. We had a pretty uncomfortable moment when one guy got physically aggressive with one of our girls and I had to intervene. Luckily I had a good group of kids and they handled it pretty well and rolled with the punches and understood there were big cultural differences. Kind of eye opening though.
bucksfan15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
milwaukee, mixed use, proposed, redevelopment