DETROIT | Hudson's Tower | 278m | 912ft | 62 fl | U/C - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2019, 08:57 AM   #121
Broodjebami

Likes (Received): 459

I think Gilbert and his team have taken that into consideration when making this decision
Broodjebami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2019, 01:28 AM   #122
Jay
It was aliens

Likes (Received): 2214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
It has been reported earlier this month that the Hudson's Tower may not be the tallest building in Detroit and Michigan after all. The skydeck planned for this tower has already been scrapped, because it was not an "efficient" use of space and would have required its own elevator. And I think there's been a switch of the tower from all-residential to part-hotel. Now its height will depend on what kind of hotel operator its developer wants. I was excited about this, and if any height reduction for the Hudson's Tower is confirmed, it will be an automatic disappointment. A height reduction for this tower would be stupid, and it'll show us that most major American cities aren't going to want a new tallest building these days. I feel that either way, Detroit may never get an opportunity like this again. Also, I don't remember the Marriott at the Renaissance Center ever having an observation deck, either.

This is unfortunate but most American cities are not Detroit (no offense). Keep in mind Developers want to make money, if they're close to eclipsing another building they'll go for it, but it not they'll stick with what makes economic sense.

Detroit has more to worry about than building a 900+ foot tower at the moment. Give it some time then maybe a new tallest will be feasible.

tetzlaffalex liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2019, 07:01 AM   #123
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
This is unfortunate but most American cities are not Detroit (no offense). Keep in mind Developers want to make money, if they're close to eclipsing another building they'll go for it, but it not they'll stick with what makes economic sense.

Detroit has more to worry about than building a 900+ foot tower at the moment. Give it some time then maybe a new tallest will be feasible.
Personally, if that Hudson Tower is lower than 220 meters, as you're implying, then this will be a missed opportunity, and I'm going to end up hating it. There's not going to be another site for a new tallest in Detroit, if Detroit really needs it so badly. If something on the Hudson's site that is shorter than the Marriott Renaissance Center really does make economic sense, then they may as well cancel this proposal and leave the site empty forever.

I think somebody may ask: "What about the Joe Louis Arena site? Can that realistically house a new tallest?"

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2019, 05:57 PM   #124
Leshommes

Likes (Received): 55

It will certainly be the tallest. There was just a recent interview of one of their CEOs, he says there might be higher demand for office space and they're exploring these options, they've had a lot of meetings. He also vehemently maintained that this project will be extraordinarily ambitious, this is a project that's been in planning for many years.

The freep is using click bait to sell a story. Bedrock did not confirm or deny anything to them the official height is still listed as 912ft.

Last edited by Leshommes; September 19th, 2019 at 06:07 PM.
Leshommes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 06:04 PM   #125
Leshommes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

You need not speak on things you have no clue about. This is not any regular developer this is Bedrock, a branch of companies with essentially endless reserves of capital and no shareholders to answer to, this site has always had a critical long term development plan.

Detroit has a lower office vacancy rate than Chicago and one of the lowest hotel vacancy rates in the country, the demand is there.
Old September 19th, 2019, 06:30 PM   #126
elliot

Likes (Received): 141

I love Detroit and believe a Renaissance is possible (see local in joke).

But low vacancy rates? The city has endured nothing else.

So is there are demand?

Uniformed Detroit fanboy.
elliot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 09:27 PM   #127
Leshommes

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot View Post
I love Detroit and believe a Renaissance is possible (see local in joke).

But low vacancy rates? The city has endured nothing else.

So is there are demand?

Uniformed Detroit fanboy.
What are you talking about? You are the uninformed individual. Please inform yourself kindly and please try to make complete sentences.

https://www.rejournals.com/busy-time...u-bet-20190829

The city's office market is the best it's been in decades and needs the space. Hotel space is sorely needed as well this is a common complaint. What is so hard to understand? Don't speak again if it's more pop cliché narrative nonsense.
Old September 20th, 2019, 12:16 PM   #128
kanye
WDNF-Mod | RIP desertpunk

Likes (Received): 11584

September 17 by HudsonSite Construction

el palmesano, Leshommes liked this post
kanye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 12:53 PM   #129
novaguy
novaguy

Likes (Received): 23

I don't understand how this building is considered to be under construction.In the last year and a half it's been nothing but prep work. Were not even sure what the final design is yet. Hopefully we can get clarity in the next few weeks.

Broodjebami liked this post
novaguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 04:37 PM   #130
Leshommes

^ Huh?? Drilling caissons to bedrock is not prep work, very far from it. The demolition of the garage was prep work but that ended in December.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
detroit, hotel, michigan, mixed use, office, redevelopment, retail, shop architects, skyscraper