NEW YORK | JPMorgan Chase World Headquarters | 434m | 1425ft | 57 fl | Demo - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2018, 09:11 PM   #21
Hudson11
Excelsior!

Likes (Received): 37297

the current building towering over Park Avenue and most of Midtown in 1960. It was the tallest on the thoroughfare until the iconic Panam Building was completed a few years later.

image hosted on flickr

photo found on Wired New York, posted by erickchristian
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2018, 04:10 AM   #22
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 2461

One thought just crossed my mind, imagine if they hire BIG to design their new building. :-D

I am very curious who they will chose and if the new tower will have a roof height of 1200 feet and maybe a crown or so that reaches the 1400 feet area.

MarshallKnight liked this post
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 05:19 AM   #23
LadyAmanita

Likes (Received): 308

www.Facebook.com/save270parkavenue

If anyone thinks this tower deserves saving
LadyAmanita no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2018, 05:25 AM   #24
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 2362

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
The articles all say they're looking at something in the ballpark of 500 ft. above the roof of the current tower, so around 1200 ft.

I love that idea. Basically you'd make an adjacent, 1200 ft. second tower, attached to the tower on Park (maybe in the same style or a 21st update of International), and the original would basically be a 700 ft. setback. Something more or less like this:

JPMC Addition Visualization by Marshall Knight, on Flickr

The issue is though, I'm pretty sure the 2.5M square feet must include the original building. I think, even with the new zoning (and even though JPMC has already sunk quite a bit of money into a LEED Platinum refurbishment) the only way to get the new top of the line office space built would be to demolish the whole thing. Hope I'm wrong though!
I think they should keep the old black box and design the adjacent 1,200 foot tower in the shape of a tall man with really long legs... squatting over and taking a dump on the ugly black box. Just my opinion.

AnOldBlackMarble liked this post
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2018, 05:26 AM   #25
LadyAmanita

Somebody in the comments section of an article I read suggested that Chase offer the owners of 277 Park Avenue a trade. I doubt that they would go for it, as 277 is still owned by the family which built it in the first place, and I suspect they're quite proud of it.

However, the swap idea itself has merit, if applied to a different building. Perhaps one of those early post war wedding cake buildings, which are far more outdated than the recently retrofitted 270 Park. Maybe Chase could offer the owners of one of those (somebody mentioned 300 Park Avenue as a candidate) a trade. The owners of the older, smaller building get the keys to 270 Park, which underwent a massive renovation and refit in 2012, Chase gets another building (shorter and would cost less to take down) whose site they could use to put their new HQ, and we all get a new supertall to gush over. Everybody wins.

MarshallKnight liked this post
Old February 25th, 2018, 04:23 PM   #26
Twopsy

Likes (Received): 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAmanita View Post
Somebody in the comments section of an article I read suggested that Chase offer the owners of 277 Park Avenue a trade. I doubt that they would go for it, as 277 is still owned by the family which built it in the first place, and I suspect they're quite proud of it.

However, the swap idea itself has merit, if applied to a different building. Perhaps one of those early post war wedding cake buildings, which are far more outdated than the recently retrofitted 270 Park. Maybe Chase could offer the owners of one of those (somebody mentioned 300 Park Avenue as a candidate) a trade. The owners of the older, smaller building get the keys to 270 Park, which underwent a massive renovation and refit in 2012, Chase gets another building (shorter and would cost less to take down) whose site they could use to put their new HQ, and we all get a new supertall to gush over. Everybody wins.
If JPMorgan Chase only demolishes a smaller tower, they will not have enough air rights to build their new headquarters. The demolition is only about air rights.

streetscapeer liked this post
Twopsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2018, 04:19 AM   #27
LadyAmanita

^Apparently the church right in that neighborhood (apologies, I can't remember its name offhand) is planning to sell its air rights, so they could do a swap for one of those wedding cake buildings right close by, and offer to take those pesky air rights off the church's hands, perhaps.
Old February 26th, 2018, 05:25 AM   #28
germantower
i ♥ NY

I wonder if the good old Panam/ Metlife tower will survive the rezoning.
Old February 26th, 2018, 06:10 AM   #29
LadyAmanita

^Pan Am is already freaking huge, I doubt they could build a bigger one under the new rules.
Old February 26th, 2018, 06:28 AM   #30
germantower
i ♥ NY

it is very huge, but also old. So does it 8ffer office space that provides what modern office space needs. A fun fact about the Panam tower is, when they still used punch cards for computers, iirc, 5 floors of the tower were used just for storage of the punch cards.
Old February 26th, 2018, 11:34 AM   #31
TheProdigySkylined

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
I wonder if the good old Panam/ Metlife tower will survive the rezoning.

Old February 26th, 2018, 12:23 PM   #32
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 3534

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
it is very huge, but also old. So does it 8ffer office space that provides what modern office space needs. A fun fact about the Panam tower is, when they still used punch cards for computers, iirc, 5 floors of the tower were used just for storage of the punch cards.
If it were in Germany they still would be.

tallmark liked this post
droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2018, 04:14 PM   #33
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1344

I can't believe they would tear down a fat 700' office skyscraper. Only in Manhattan.

tallmark liked this post
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2018, 05:12 PM   #34
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3840

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAmanita View Post
^Pan Am is already freaking huge, I doubt they could build a bigger one under the new rules.
Per the Tishman Speyer website, the total site area of MetLife is 150,700 square feet. With the Midtown East rezoning's maximum FAR of 24 (including the District Improvement Bonus), that would yield a 3.6 million square foot tower, about 800k more than the current building's 2.84 million.

Compared to NYC's largest 21st century office buildings -- 1 World Trade Center: 2.6 million; 30 Hudson Yards: 2.6 million; One Vanderbilt: 1.75 million -- that would be far larger.

It's hard to imagine MetLife getting razed, but doing so would yield the largest building in the city (given modern floor heights, I have to think it would be a megatall). The rezoning is designed to replace aging office stock, with the greatest emphasis directly adjacent to Grand Central; MetLife fits the bill, maybe more so than any other building... so maybe we shouldn't be too shocked if it goes in the next decade or two.
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2018, 12:52 AM   #35
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 45972

NYGuy at SSP put these together for some context

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Using some older aerials, a look at where this tower stands in the overall scope of Manhattan.

nylkoorB, Munwon, Kyll.Ing., gaab1972, CBrug, Zaz965 liked this post
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2018, 02:11 AM   #36
hateman

Likes (Received): 2878

A drop in the proverbial bucket. And further proof that no matter how pedigreed, a box is still a box.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2018, 04:59 AM   #37
sbarn

Likes (Received): 1190

Here's a quick mockup of what this could look like in the skyline:

270 PARK VISION by scottbarnholt, on Flickr

Original Photo Credit:
Untitled by Stefan Georgi, on Flickr
Old February 27th, 2018, 05:04 AM   #38
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 45972

That looks great!!... I love the bigger version you posted over on SSP:

270 PARK VISION by scottbarnholt, on Flickr
Old February 27th, 2018, 05:21 AM   #39
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6782

I hope the design will be something better than a box

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

nylkoorB liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2018, 09:01 AM   #40
germantower
i ♥ NY

The Nimbyism is already huge with this one. The paper Architectual Digests headline says "can you believe this architectual gem is about to be razed". We have literally hundreds of towers that look exactly like this tower worldwide. I surely think there are certain buildings that should be preserved, but I also often feel like why in every project people who dont even have business with an associated building owner let alone own any stock whatsoever with a company feel entitled to stir in into this companies developments. Why do the two bridge Nymbis feel entitled to not just visually polut a huge chunk of the city so they have affordable units but on top of that feel entitled to preserve this dull ugliness and hinder any visual progress and on top of that demand developers to unreasonably cater to their wishes. I dont get it.

nylkoorB, goodybear liked this post
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
270 park avenue, bank, banking, grand central, headquarters, midtown, midtown east, midtown east rezoning, new york city, nyc, office building, offices, redevelopment, skyline, supertall, tallest building, united states