Red Hill Cinemas (Skate Arena) Open Day 31/03/2019 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Queensland > Everything else

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 5th, 2019, 04:42 AM   #1
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 12436

Red Hill Cinemas (Skate Arena) Open Day 31/03/2019

Last Sunday, the Sourris brothers held an open day showing the progress on the transformation of the burnt out wreck of the Red Hill Skate Arena, into the Red Hill Cinemas. Of course this was something I would not miss, so here are my photos.

Red Hill Cinemas (formerly Red Hill Skate Arena) Open Day, 31/03/2019. by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

Red Hill Cinemas (formerly Red Hill Skate Arena) Open Day, 31/03/2019. by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

These are the early ticket counters from the building's original cinema use.

Old April 5th, 2019, 09:01 AM   #2
flipst3r

Likes (Received): 3457

Nice photos Nathan!

Speaking of, maybe this thread could become a general one for the future Cinemas?

New DA is up #A005165856

nathandavid88 liked this post
flipst3r no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2019, 09:35 AM   #3
Aussie Bhoy

Likes (Received): 10992

I really admire what the Sourris brothers have done and are doing. I've been a long term customer of Cineplex (since the 70's Balmoral and Hawthorne cinema days!), but I also go to the Elizabeth or New Farm cinemas when I can. They have done a great job with the New Farm cinema. I was sad to see the Irish Club go, but at least they have given it a good use as the Elizabeth. And I can't think of 2 better people to trust the Red Hill Skate Arena with.

I see you got a couple of photos of Trevor Evans inside, good to see the local member supporting the Sourris brothers. Did you get a chance to speak with him?

PS - I'm generally not a fan of "graffiti", but some of that art work is amazing.

Aussie Bhoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2019, 09:44 AM   #4
jonwil

Likes (Received): 1332

I too go to Cineplex but I applaud these guys for doing something great with this building. And after what Reading Cinemas did in opposing this development, I will not be giving them a cent of my money in future.

nathandavid88, QF Flyer liked this post
jonwil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2019, 03:27 AM   #5
John_Gill
Not_the_timber_man

Likes (Received): 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
I too go to Cineplex but I applaud these guys for doing something great with this building. And after what Reading Cinemas did in opposing this development, I will not be giving them a cent of my money in future.
100% agree.
John_Gill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2019, 10:59 AM   #6
BrizzyChris

Likes (Received): 1250

Great pics. Was there any indication when the internal build will be complete? Will they simply cover up the internal graffiti or try and keep some of it exposed?
BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2019, 03:27 AM   #7
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 12436

I think they are aiming for a 2020 opening. As for the artworks, I believe the intention is to keep as much of it preserved as possible. That said, there will be sections of it that will inevitably be covered over/hidden, particularly in the main rink area, as the cinemas themselves will be built on an elevated mezzanine level above the skate arena floor (which itself will be preserved underneath). Some of my favourite pieces in the place I don't expect to see post conversion, unfortunately. I am expecting to see some new art added to the interior post fitout though, to keep with the street art theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Bhoy View Post
I see you got a couple of photos of Trevor Evans inside, good to see the local member supporting the Sourris brothers. Did you get a chance to speak with him?
From what was said at the event, the open day was actually organised jointly between the Sourris' and Trevor Evans. Evans mentioned to them that he was planning a community day but needed somewhere to hold it, and they suggested the Cinema - or something along those lines. I didn't get a chance to speak with him or the Sourris', although my main reason for being there was really to photograph the place.

Aussie Bhoy liked this post
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2019, 11:15 AM   #8
BrizzyChris

Likes (Received): 1250

Thanks. So many memories of going to that place after school to go roller blading....

BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement