Oslo - Kværnerbyen - 1800 apartments - Not Yet Under Construction Thread - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Norway > Oslo

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #1
NiceGuy

Likes (Received): 0

Oslo - Kværnerbyen - 1800 apartments - Not Yet Under Construction Thread

Kværnerbyen / Kvaernerbyen is as some of you already know a big residential project in Oslo with 1800 apartments close to downtown:

The first apartments will be sold in the beginning of May, and I went to take a look at the area. I was a bit concerned before I went about whether this part of the city was an Islamic ghetto like nearby Tøyen, but it turned out to almost completely western (which is great).

Lodalen is a small valley which is intersected by a highway. The apartment project will be shielded from the highway by an old industrial building that will be turned into an art gallery:

The construction area from above:

I entered the area and looked around at the floor of the valley:

An old brick building is going the preserved:

This old building is going to be a kindergarten:

Downtown is not far away:
NiceGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #2
NiceGuy

Two more pictures that might be of interest:

Old March 26th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #3
Spearman
NWO Henchman

Likes (Received): 638

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy
An old brick building is going the preserved:
They're preserving everything these days....

btw I know the need for massive housing projects is dire, but why, oh why, can't they realize 46 commieblocks in identical style is going to be 45 too many?

Lowrise commiblocks are still commieblocks

A bureaucrat is a device for turning coffee into frustration.
Spearman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #4
NiceGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearman
btw I know the need for massive housing projects is dire, but why, oh why, can't they realize 46 commieblocks in identical style is going to be 45 too many?

Lowrise commiblocks are still commieblocks
I actually think they have thought of that. Some of their recent projects like Sjølyststranda ( https://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=230194 ) are quite varied, and I think there will be even more variation in Kværnerbyen. Interestingly, the design of the first blocks for sale are changing all the time. Here is their latest render:
Old March 26th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #5
Spearman
NWO Henchman

Likes (Received): 638

Funny you should mention that; I know someone who lives there (it's nice btw), and those were some of the ones I thought about. In the case of sjølyststranda it has a design that is nice enough, and a number of units that is low enough, so it isn't that much of a problem. And the area around Skøyen station is pretty faceless anyway. Let's hope you're right, and they at least change the colour of some of the buildings. I've seen this style before, at least.

A bureaucrat is a device for turning coffee into frustration.
Spearman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #6
NiceGuy

I think some of the buildings in Kværnerbyen will look similar to those on Sjølyststranda, but it is impossible to know for sure when they apparently change designs all the time until they actually sell the apartments.

I found some smaller projects in the neighborhood as well. Here is a project at the surprisingly steep Ekeberg-hill.

Old March 27th, 2006, 06:54 AM   #7
NorthStar77
Born to run

Likes (Received): 5

Nice to see that it has started construction. I'm hoping that, since this is only 5 minutes walk from where I live, that this project will increase the popularity of my neighbourhood even further, thus increasing the value of my apartment.
Old March 27th, 2006, 07:38 AM   #8
NiceGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar77
Nice to see that it has started construction. I'm hoping that, since this is only 5 minutes walk from where I live, that this project will increase the popularity of my neighbourhood even further, thus increasing the value of my apartment.
This project, and all the other construction going on at the Ekeberg hill, is a clear sign of that entrepreneurs and investors are very optimistic with regards to this area. There are still many houses that look like they are about to fall apart though.
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:08 AM   #9
NorthStar77
Born to run

^yes it is and has been quite alot of construction around here in recent years. In this photo, you can see the last stage of Vålerenga terrasse beeing under construction(the white squarish building abit to the right in the photo).

Here is another another construction in Etterstadgata under planning

And the ugly completely run down building at brynseng has finally been given permission to be demolished.

Brynseng park, with offices, apartments, shops and cafe can be expected in a 12 story building that will be erected there

And there will soon be alot of things happening at Ensjø, also just a 5 minute walk away
Old April 22nd, 2006, 04:28 PM   #10
NiceGuy

Here are a few more renders that I just found at finn.no:

This is a cheap area, but the apartments are not as cheap as I expected them to be. A 60 square meter apartment with 2 bedrooms cost approximately 1 800 000 NOK (which equals 230 000 Euros or 280 000 US dollars) depending on floor number.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 06:25 PM   #11
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 305

doesnt sound that much to me... average price in centre of Tallinn is around 2000+ euros per sqm. I would expect prices to be alot higher in downtown oslo
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 06:40 PM   #12
oskarj

what sort of material will they use for the buildings in this pic?

I love orange brickhouses like this one, i live in a brick building myself, but its more towards commieblock architecture. What about the extension? Is it an office building? Will it be demolished?
oskarj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 07:52 PM   #13
NorthStar77
Born to run

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy
This is a cheap area, but the apartments are not as cheap as I expected them to be. A 60 square meter apartment with 2 bedrooms cost approximately 1 800 000 NOK (which equals 230 000 Euros or 280 000 US dollars) depending on floor number.
That is not expensive for a new apartment in this area. It is cheaper than the new ones in Vålerenga terrasse I think. And a few weeks ago, I saw an 67 sqm apartment with two bedrooms, 50 years old in the building next to me sold for 2 150 000.

@Ch1le: Downtown is aprox 20-25 minutes walk to the west.
Old April 25th, 2006, 09:05 PM   #14
NiceGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oskarj
what sort of material will they use for the buildings in this pic?
The brochure says that the buildings will be built by using a module-based system with a support structure of steel. The exterior of the buildings will be covered in bricks, panels and sheets (panels/sheets may be like the ones used here ). The floor separators and outer walls are parts of the module-system, while the facades are built on-site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar77
@Ch1le: Downtown is aprox 20-25 minutes walk to the west.
I think I went by foot from Oslo S a lot faster than that. You don't walk very fast, do you?
Old April 26th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #15
NorthStar77
Born to run

^I walk very fast, my friends don't believe me when I say I use 20-25 minutes to downtown, they believe I use more. But that is from my home, via Galgeberg and Grønland/Tøyen. I guess it is quite alot shorter from Kværnerbyen, when walking Schweigårdsgate or something, my bad
Advertisement