What important cities do you think have a good/bad future - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 9th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #1
Heavenly Creature

Likes (Received): 0

What important cities do you think have a good/bad future

What important cities do you think have a good and bad future, in terms of importance, fame, world city status and such? I think it’s VERY safe to say that NYC, Paris, London, LA, Hong Kong and Chicago will be forever safe, and perhaps Sydney (I would have put Sydney in the first lot if Brisbane was not the Australia’s fastest growing city), Tokyo, Shanghai, San Francisco, Singapore, Rome, Frankfurt, Dubai and Beijing. Toronto is questionable, because Montreal was Canada’s largest or most important city until sometime in the 1970s and did not even pick up in importance wise until the late 1980s, early 1990s, and that could easily change back to Montreal, and Montreal, so I’m not sure on Toronto. Dubai has had a pretty grim, unimportant past, but its looking will have a great future, but is not so influential now.

P.S. I herd that San Francisco and Sydney have been proposed to become in the second tier of ‘Alpha’ world cities (along with HK, Singapore, LA, Chicago, Frankfurt ect) in the next 10-20 years, so I think it is easy to say that Sydney and San Fran will enjoy a good future in the world city importance thing. I think Sydney and San Fran have both earn their status as a major world city.
Heavenly Creature no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #2
will.exe

Likes (Received): 4

Montreal will never catch up to Toronto because the Quebec separatist movement forever crippled the cities economy. Toronto's economy is starting to stagnate, though. But Western Canada is booming so I think in the future Vancouver will be Canada's world city, after all the 2010 Olympic games will be held there and there are countless highrise projects under construction. Vancouver I think could jump into the next "tier" of Alpha World Cities within the next decade.

In North America, LA and NYC are probably safe where they are. Chicago will probably jump to Alpha status, as will San Francisco and Miami. I think we will also see Mexican and other Central American cities appear on the world stage, Panama City in particular. Cities with a bad future in North America: Detroit and Port-au-Prince, Haiti.

Buenos Aires and Santiago will continue to boom. Lima, Quito, and other developing Latin cities will start to see a boom.

London, Paris, Madrid, and most other European cities are safe where they are. I think a few eastern European cities like Bucharest and Belgrade will become tourist centers.

I wont even touch Chinese cities, since a new world city seems to appear every day. Its safe to say that Hong Kong and Shanghai are safe though. Same with Tokyo and Singapore. Jakarta, Manila, Kuala Lumpur, and various Indian and East Asian cities will increase in importance.

Brisbane and Auckland will flower. Sydney will stagnate like Toronto.

Dubai will continue to build its way to Alpha status, but the Arabian cities that were late to catch on--Doha, Kuwait, Manama--will have a very difficult time in the future when oil starts running out.

Durban, Nairobi, and Cairo will slowly make their way to global status. Other cities like Luanda and Dakar will start to see a boom. Some African cities like Lagos, Kinshasa, and Douala wont see any serious growth for a while.
Old October 9th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #3
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13334

Please read the rules before posting in Citytalk, thanks.
wjfox no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread