BOSTON | Public Transport - Page 39 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 23rd, 2019, 08:30 PM   #761
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1176

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
But then you have to take into account reliability and such. How long will the cars last? How comfortable are they? Do they damage the track?
....I mean, there's no real reason to doubt much of that. As far as anyone knows--because of course data will be doctored to polish the CV of a state-related entity--Chinese trains are quite reliable. Truthfully, I don't hear a lot of foreigners complain about the reliability of China's metro systems, and at least my own anecdotal, personal experience says they will be reliable, and comfortable as anything else rolling on the T's ancient rails. No reason to suspect track damage, and longevity is such a messy variable, dependent on MBTA's vehicle maintainence (backlog) as much as anything else.

At this point, with XJP at China's helm, I don't like supporting the country more than anyone else, but we can all admit that at least they do make a good train.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2019, 11:39 AM   #762
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak_w_Kanadzie View Post
This makes me sick, they order chinese rolling stock, rather than order from US-based company...

The United States doesnít have a single company that manufactures these trains. Besides the CRRC has a factory in the USA that produces the trains for the Boston orange line, Los Angeles red line, Chicago CTA, and the Philadelphia metro. What is wrong with buying trains from China? They make some of the best trains in the world and itís being used all over the world. I donít know if youíre being a racist or political but please donít mix politics into trains they have nothing to do with each other. The USA buy trains from the Chinese because they have to and are the best option on the market.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2019, 04:38 PM   #763
IsaanUSA

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates View Post
The USA buy trains from the Chinese because they have to and are the best option on the market.
What about Siemens or Bombardier?
The Chinese trains in Bangkok are worse than the Siemens trains.
IsaanUSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2019, 04:31 AM   #764
citylover94

Likes (Received): 124

Bombardier from what I remember bid at a ridiculously high cost from what I remember and from what I remember the theory was that they did that mostly to show the T they were annoyed at the micro-management present in the RFP documents. Siemens I don't remember as clearly tbh I'm not even sure if they did, but if they had it would have cost significantly more which would probably have meant ordering less cars which would have meant that the capacity improvements from reduced headways that are planned would not have happened.
citylover94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2019, 04:32 AM   #765
Antje
Public Transport Fan

Some people like me have avoided politics entirely, because of how toxic it has become on social media.

Bear in mind that no vehicle manufacturer is immune from the bathtub scenario, which affects very new and very old trains.

A prime example of the challenges of introducing new trains from any manufacturer happened quite recently, with the new trains for the GOBLIN (Gospel Oak-Barking line) on the London Overground: Bombardier agreed to pay for free travel on the GOBLIN throughout this month to make up for it.

I also remember how the new Siemens trains for Thameslink were criticised for only providing charging points in first class: on my very first ride on those trains back in 2016, we ended up having to look after devices from standard class commuters.
Antje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2019, 04:06 PM   #766
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 8797

The new Orange Line trains unfortunately had to be temporarily pulled from service.

"New Orange Line trains placed out of service due to door issue"

https://whdh.com/news/new-orange-lin...to-door-issue/
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2019, 06:52 PM   #767
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

New Red Line cars have arrived in Boston for testing

https://twitter.com/MBTA/status/1181757244440027136

aquaticko, zaphod liked this post
Old November 6th, 2019, 12:43 AM   #768
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

New entrance has opened at Forest Hills station on the Orange Line

source: https://www.mbta.com/projects/forest...entrance-opens

aquamaroon, endrity liked this post
Old November 6th, 2019, 03:42 AM   #769
citylover94

Likes (Received): 124

The FMCB has just agreed to push for the conversion of Boston's commuter rail system to start operating as regional rail. Meaning 15-30 minute headways with electrification. This is as a result of activism by Transit Matters that has been pushing for this change for several years now. At a meeting a couple days ago the board voted to approve resolutions to make these changes.
Here are the first steps in the MBTA's long-term plan for the commuter rail

Tags
boston, massdot, the t