Best Modern European Skylines (Part3) - Page 779 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers
» Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2019, 02:39 PM   #15561
Dusty Hare

Likes (Received): 1373

There was no sense of place in Nine Elms before. They are busy creating it now. And in Nine Elms they have built all the rubbish towers. The better quality ones are coming now and I wouldnt say they are particularly generic.

As for CW, there is a lot of boxy, generic stuff there but they are adding more variety now (Park Drive, Baltimore,Newfoundland, for example). I would say it looks less generic the bigger it gets.
Dusty Hare no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2019, 05:06 PM   #15562
Make it so n1

Likes (Received): 17

London the the least generic looking city in europe

der muttt, Quicksilver liked this post
Make it so n1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 05:22 PM   #15563
der muttt

Likes (Received): 592

Nine Elms will be one of the least 'generic' skylines in Europe and how is CW any more generic than Paris, Frankfurt or most of the other European skylines?
der muttt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 05:33 PM   #15564
Roxven

Likes (Received): 122

Warsaw

Old October 13th, 2019, 06:09 PM   #15565
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 14588

Quote:
Originally Posted by indaco1 View Post
Not surely, these have been built a little earlier (1109 - 1119). Even the tall one is leaning 2.23 meters:
Asinelli e Garisenda by Vanni Lazzari, su Flickr

I know they are not modern and OT here, but unlike other posts at least they are towers and in Europe.
The purpose was to build 'em straight from the bottom to the top, but there was a basement failure which slowly started to make the towers structure lean to one side. Exactly the same thing which happened to Pisa leaning tower

Nice try anyway

wookes liked this post
GENIUS LOCI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 06:23 PM   #15566
der muttt

Likes (Received): 592

Hooray! I was worried that I wouldn't see any Warsaw photo's today

Broodjebami, mileymc1 liked this post
der muttt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 07:12 PM   #15567
ZeusUpsistos

Likes (Received): 19081

Lyon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowaten View Post
ZeusUpsistos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 07:19 PM   #15568
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 1660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Hare View Post
There was no sense of place in Nine Elms before. They are busy creating it now. And in Nine Elms they have built all the rubbish towers. The better quality ones are coming now and I wouldnt say they are particularly generic.

As for CW, there is a lot of boxy, generic stuff there but they are adding more variety now (Park Drive, Baltimore,Newfoundland, for example). I would say it looks less generic the bigger it gets.
Well comparing an emerging cluster to the wasteland it was before kind of proves my point. There are only generic modern skylines in Europe, maybe with the exception of Moscow's seven sisters which is why we're lucky to have so many beautiful historic skylines in this part of the world. London is a world city with a fantastic mix of architecture at ground level, however, too many of the new towers are average at best. La Defense or Frankfurt are even more generic, however, Paris has a fantastic historic skyline while much of the skyline of pre-war London is hidden behind office blocks. I find the best view are the ones where the city's historic nature intermixes with the better modern additions:

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/hous...-132577303.jpg

https://r-cf.bstatic.com/images/hote.../181718500.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EBrK8fRXkAATirG.jpg

artObserver, mileymc1, Fabrega liked this post
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 07:22 PM   #15569
rulengulen

Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis1234 View Post
I will never understand the sense of building skyscrapers in such a way like in Madrid, i mean in a location that looks like it was separated and not matching the rest of the city. ridiculous
But it fits better on a futuristic scene than a lot of 150-meter blocks of 80s style

rulengulen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 10:27 PM   #15570
Dusty Hare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
Well comparing an emerging cluster to the wasteland it was before kind of proves my point. There are only generic modern skylines in Europe, maybe with the exception of Moscow's seven sisters which is why we're lucky to have so many beautiful historic skylines in this part of the world. London is a world city with a fantastic mix of architecture at ground level, however, too many of the new towers are average at best. La Defense or Frankfurt are even more generic, however, Paris has a fantastic historic skyline while much of the skyline of pre-war London is hidden behind office blocks. I find the best view are the ones where the city's historic nature intermixes with the better modern additions:
Most of the worlds skylines, even in the great skyline cities of the world, are packed with filler buildings that really do not stand out from the crowd. For my the worlds greatest skyline is NYC but on my trips there it has really caught my eye just how many average buildings there are. I guess it allows the standouts to shine brighter. Canary Wharf has some bland boxes for sure. But my point is that they are now adding some points of interest which serve to both bulk up the skyline there, as well as giving us those visual flourishes that elevate the skyline above the mundane. Canary wharf could really do with a couple of taller towers but we know that's not going to happen because of the airport.

And I couldnt agree with you more that what London and Paris (and our other European cities) do best is to mix in these modern towers with their world class historic buildings. European skylines may not be the biggest but this mix is what gives them their point of difference.
Old Yesterday, 12:34 AM   #15571
hugh

Likes (Received): 1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Hare View Post
And I couldnt agree with you more that what London and Paris (and our other European cities) do best is to mix in these modern towers with their world class historic buildings. European skylines may not be the biggest but this mix is what gives them their point of difference.
Absolutely, it's the layering and the juxtaposition that's the thing. New York has that too (I think of Gotham as a new Old World City).

Dusty Hare liked this post
hugh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM   #15572
Dusty Hare

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Absolutely, it's the layering and the juxtaposition that's the thing. New York has that too (I think of Gotham as a new Old World City).
Totally. People often don't realise just how old much of NYC is.

hugh liked this post
Dusty Hare no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM   #15573
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 10800

Frankfurt

Skyline Frankfurt, Terrasse Galeria Kaufhof by Frawolf77, auf Flickr

Maintowerscape - Skyscrapers by cokbilmis-foto, auf Flickr
Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM   #15574
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 1660

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
NYC is still far more unified than London, being younger and quite strictly planned. Most of Manhattan is still 1850-1950s stuff. Constrasting 1930s modern with contemporary modern both in terms of architecture and planning is neither drastic nor jarring. In London you get Medieval streets and baroque churches against 21st century steel and glass. NYC still looks "classic", the general nature of its skyline has not changed much since before WWII while London compared to its 1950s self has changed completely.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM   #15575
Blackpool88

Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
NYC is still far more unified than London, being younger and quite strictly planned. Most of Manhattan is still 1850-1950s stuff. Constrasting 1930s modern with contemporary modern both in terms of architecture and planning is neither drastic nor jarring. In London you get Medieval streets and baroque churches against 21st century steel and glass. NYC still looks "classic", the general nature of its skyline has not changed much since before WWII while London compared to its 1950s self has changed completely.
Have you spent much time in The City or Canary Wharf?
Blackpool88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM   #15576
Make it so n1

Likes (Received): 17

Frankfurt looks very sparse with no density, small number of towers and average height. There aren't really any standout impressive towers. La defence is shorter but it's density is significantly more than Frankfurt and puts it ahead. London has two clusters which alone are better than Frankfurt with many other clusters growing so fast. For the next few years it's gunna be London, Moscow and Paris with a big gap then everyone else

artObserver liked this post
Make it so n1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM   #15577
Fabrega

Likes (Received): 164

My favorite perspective of Madrid. Where they don't look so aligned and artificial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
Dos más de ayer, muchas fotos como era de esperar por la actividad aérea sobre la capital...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3iCz1AoXzq/
In this picture that hospital in the right is going to get rebuild. So far there is 4 renders and one has to be chosen as the winner. The shortest hospital will be 120m tall out of the four presented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by potipoti View Post

Ares2018, artObserver liked this post
Fabrega no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
москва, ankara, baku, barcelona, batumi, berlin, düsseldorf, frankfurt, istanbul, izmir, kyiv, leeds, london, lyon, madrid, milan, milano, moscow, paris, rotterdam, sarajevo, skopje, the hague, vienna, warsaw