UNITED STATES | High Speed Rail - Page 381 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 8th, 2019, 07:58 PM   #7601
The Polman

Likes (Received): 1431

Quote:
But that's many billions of dollars and several states that have actively fought AGAINST rail improvements. But a guy can dream eh?
The most pathethic example being Indiana cutting down trains that depart four times a week from Indianapolis to Chicago, I mean, how much money does a state save with four-weekly trains? That is really absurd. On similar distances with cities with similar population size in Europe there would have been at least seven daily money-generating trains (given the flat landscape and straight lines for fast speeds), but more likely 16 of them. Travel time would have been either 3 or 1.5 hours (HST or non-HST). I seriously don't get how this tiny drop, that also generates money partially, was scrapped. What could they save for it? A one-lane refurbishment of a boondoggle downtown highway?

That kind of far-right populist policy is why liberal urban dwellers are finally getting more willing to vote for elections once again, yet it is the question whether it has an effect on deep-red Indiana - it's likely the only obstacle in all of the midwest to improving train service once Amtrak and other states have documented a seriously good business case. And Indiana, unluckily, is in between Chicago and Michigan/Ohio.

Alle nieuwbouw onder vier hoog: meteen afbreken en de volgende keer uw hersenen gebruiken!
Everything new below four storeys: bulldoze it immediately and use your brains next time!

Jordbcn, pudgym29 liked this post
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2019, 07:30 AM   #7602
Arnorian

Likes (Received): 20293

There is no sense in comparing the situation with Europe. Trains are not a dogmatic issue in Europe.
Old September 9th, 2019, 06:28 PM   #7603
LtBk

Likes (Received): 4738

Most of the Midwest seem hostile towards public transport and passenger rail.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2019, 11:25 PM   #7604
Negjana

Likes (Received): 246

No wonder, it's communist.
Negjana está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 12:15 AM   #7605
JohnDee

Likes (Received): 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negjana View Post
No wonder, it's communist.

Now, I can see why majority US people are so dumb when it comes to trains. . Bunch of right wing oil lovers. OOh, trains are the red devil, they are coming to take our cars awaayy.. Ahh, think of our freedom, think of the children!

Last edited by JohnDee; September 10th, 2019 at 01:18 AM.
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 07:31 PM   #7606
Negjana

Likes (Received): 246

I for my part was being sarcastic, since i live in Austria, but yes that is how Americans think.

DouglasFir33 liked this post
Negjana está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 05:13 PM   #7607
Jordbcn
Ya de vuelta User

Likes (Received): 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Polman View Post
The most pathethic example being Indiana cutting down trains that depart four times a week from Indianapolis to Chicago, I mean, how much money does a state save with four-weekly trains? That is really absurd. On similar distances with cities with similar population size in Europe there would have been at least seven daily money-generating trains (given the flat landscape and straight lines for fast speeds), but more likely 16 of them. Travel time would have been either 3 or 1.5 hours (HST or non-HST). I seriously don't get how this tiny drop, that also generates money partially, was scrapped. What could they save for it? A one-lane refurbishment of a boondoggle downtown highway?

That kind of far-right populist policy is why liberal urban dwellers are finally getting more willing to vote for elections once again, yet it is the question whether it has an effect on deep-red Indiana - it's likely the only obstacle in all of the midwest to improving train service once Amtrak and other states have documented a seriously good business case. And Indiana, unluckily, is in between Chicago and Michigan/Ohio.
Well, you have another example in Indian River and Marlin counties in FL. They have spent nearly 7,5 million $ in legal battles against Brightline. Fortunately, they have been defeated in court.

Should have been better to spend such quantity in depressing the main streets to avoid level crossings.

https://eu.tcpalm.com/story/news/loc...er/1807223002/

But, Indian River county keeps wasting taxpayers money:

https://eu.tcpalm.com/story/news/loc...ns/2779892002/

aquamaroon, pudgym29 liked this post
Jordbcn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 05:24 PM   #7608
aquamaroon

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de Los Ángeles
Likes (Received): 7064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnorian View Post
There is no sense in comparing the situation with Europe. Trains are not a dogmatic issue in Europe.

I'm so jealous! I hate the fact that here in America passenger rail, and public transportation in general, has become a partisan issue. Not to get too far afield but it stems from a particular type of libertarian political thinking that the Government should not be in the transportation business AT ALL, and the free market should take care of everything. That is, unless you're talking about buildings highways for cars that use oil, and then here are your billions! To break it down to its most simplistic terms, for the right in America:

Trains = Rigid communist transportation that moves herds of people on a schedule dictated by some government entity and not the passenger.

Cars = Individual freedom to go where you want, in a mode of transportation that you have paid for yourself in the free market (and if you can't afford a car to move around? oh well sucks to be you!)

aquaticko, pudgym29, Aujen liked this post
aquamaroon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 07:14 PM   #7609
LtBk

Likes (Received): 4738

The State of Florida cancelled HSR twice in past 20 years.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2019, 10:46 PM   #7610
aquamaroon

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de Los Ángeles
Likes (Received): 7064

Quote:
California rail authority issues environmental document for Central Valley wye

The California High-Speed Rail Authority yesterday released a draft supplemental environmental impact statement for the Central Valley wye that would be part of the state's high-speed rail (HSR) system between Merced and Fresno.

The authority is seeking public comments on the draft document from Sept. 13 through Oct. 28. A public hearing will be held Oct. 1 in Chowchilla, authority officials said in a press release.

The authority completed the public review of the draft statement under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) in May and June and is now releasing the same document for public review under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), they said.

Authority officials will respond to comments received during both the NEPA and CEQA comment periods in a final supplemental document planned for release in 2020.

https://www.progressiverailroading.c...ley-wye--58569

Anday liked this post
aquamaroon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2019, 02:16 AM   #7611
Anday

Likes (Received): 1695

Company announces $14 billion deal to build Texas Bullet Train, but is still long way from the end of the line

Quote:
A planned high-speed rail line between Houston and Dallas reached another milestone Friday as the sponsoring company announced a $14 billion deal to build it - as soon as it obtains the authority to do so.

Texas Central, the private company developing the Texas Bullet Train, announced it had signed a deal with Salini Impregilo, the Italian construction giant, and its American subsidiary, Lane Construction, to design, construct and install the 240-mile high-speed rail line using Japan’s Shinkansen trains.
Old September 14th, 2019, 07:32 AM   #7612
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

Likes (Received): 8174

thanks for this news! will cross post this in the Japan section

prageethSL liked this post
RyukyuRhymer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2019, 01:41 PM   #7613
JohnDee

Likes (Received): 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negjana View Post
I for my part was being sarcastic, since i live in Austria, but yes that is how Americans think.

I live in USA (originally European). I was making a joke on the right wing attitude regarding trains here by a certain segment of the population. Many Americans love trains and use them daily, and would love to see that built in this country. Don't think that we all hate trains over here, it's not true.

Last edited by JohnDee; September 14th, 2019 at 01:49 PM.
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2019, 11:00 PM   #7614
IThomas

Italian builder Salini Impregilo signs $14Bn deal to build Texas High-Speed Rail.

Texas Central announced a design-build contract has been signed with the joint venture of Salini Impregilo, one of the largest civil engineering contractors in the world, and its U.S. subsidiary, Lane Construction Corporation. Salini-Lane is to supply the civil and infrastructure scope for the new high-speed train service between Houston and Dallas. This includes the design and construction of the viaduct and embankment sections along the entire route, the installation of the track system and the alignment and construction of all buildings and services that will house maintenance and other rail system equipment.

The high-speed train will link the two american cities in 90 minutes with a train every 30 minutes at peak times. There will be one stop in the Brazos Valley, where Texas A&M University is located. It is expected to be 90 minutes faster than car travel and one hour faster than air travel considering boarding times. It is estimated that 6 million passengers in 2029 and 13 million in 2050 will use the high-speed train between Dallas and Houston. This design-build agreement authorizes a set of early works for the joint venture to continue advancing engineering design, detailed planning, interface definition and other key prerequisites necessary to start construction. This agreement is the result of their previous work providing front-end engineering and design for the train's civil infrastructure. Other services included optimizing execution plans, strategies and logistics, as well as performing analysis to develop construction costs and schedule estimates.

"This agreement brings us one step closer to beginning construction of the civil infrastructure segments of the project" said Carlos F. Aguilar, CEO, Texas Central. "Salini-Lane's unmatched track record with rail infrastructure, and very specifically its world class high-speed rail expertise across the globe, will be central to the completion of America's first end to end high-speed rail system" said Aquilar. "We are thrilled and honored to bring our large-scale railway expertise to this unique opportunity" said Pietro Salini, CEO, Salini Impregilo Group. "This inclusion in bringing high-speed train service to Texas and America, through leading the project’s design and construction, is an invaluable experience."

The project’s total investment is expected to be approximately $20 billion with the civil works estimated at $14 billion. This would conservatively lead to an estimated $36 billion in economic benefits state-wide over the next 25 years, including the creation of 10,000 jobs per year during peak construction and 1,500 permanent jobs when fully operational.

From an environmental point of view the Dallas-Houston train is expected to reduce CO2 emissions by approximately 700,000 metric tons annually. The train is six times more efficient in terms of energy than the car, the preferred means of transportation in Texas. It will also emit 1/12th of the CO2 of a Boeing 777-200.

https://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/a-sa...-texas-ACDtiLk
http://motori.quotidiano.net/autoemo...iana-texas.htm
https://www.salini-impregilo.com/it/...peed-rail.html
https://www.teleborsa.it/News/2019/0...l#.XX1RkSgzZPY

Bye!

Last edited by IThomas; September 14th, 2019 at 11:14 PM.
IThomas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2019, 04:05 AM   #7615
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1166

I really hope that this project comes to fruition. If a state as red as Texas got a successful high speed rail line running, it might do a lot to change conservatives' absolutely pig-headed ideas about train travel. Even if the fact that it has to be done by a private company says a lot about the way public enterprises are treated and used in the U.S., just putting a positive light on trains outside the NEC can only be a good thing.

Jordbcn, FM 2258 liked this post
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2019, 11:02 AM   #7616
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 397

How about all the lawsuits? Already resolved?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2019, 02:20 PM   #7617
Jordbcn
Ya de vuelta User

Likes (Received): 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
I really hope that this project comes to fruition. If a state as red as Texas got a successful high speed rail line running, it might do a lot to change conservatives' absolutely pig-headed ideas about train travel. Even if the fact that it has to be done by a private company says a lot about the way public enterprises are treated and used in the U.S., just putting a positive light on trains outside the NEC can only be a good thing.
Well, my son in law, typical Rep in FL, was not convinced about beneits of HS , at least had not given a thought about that even he could test it in my home country, Spain. Until he got a pmotional trip from West Palm Beach to Miami fo 20 bucks and realized he had just avoided a monstruous traffic jam in Miami due to storms. Since then, he is a fervorous defender before his friends of Brightline, even more after a planned station in Treasure Coast where they live, is going to be built.

Discussing the topic with him, he believes that youngsters are more prone to trust on HS as soon as they can test by themselves. Mentality of elders is more difficult to change as I saw when discussing that with his father.

prageethSL, aquaticko liked this post
Jordbcn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2019, 02:40 PM   #7618
fkus

Likes (Received): 26

When an outsider like me saw the HS solutions in Florida and Texas, and the disaster in California seems to me that the Reps knows better how to deal with taxes people money!

prageethSL liked this post
fkus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2019, 05:19 PM   #7619
Smooth Indian

Likes (Received): 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordbcn View Post
Well, my son in law, typical Rep in FL, was not convinced about beneits of HS , at least had not given a thought about that even he could test it in my home country, Spain. Until he got a pmotional trip from West Palm Beach to Miami fo 20 bucks and realized he had just avoided a monstruous traffic jam in Miami due to storms. Since then, he is a fervorous defender before his friends of Brightline, even more after a planned station in Treasure Coast where they live, is going to be built.

Discussing the topic with him, he believes that youngsters are more prone to trust on HS as soon as they can test by themselves. Mentality of elders is more difficult to change as I saw when discussing that with his father.
Often a lot of people feel a particular project such as CAHSR or HS2 in UK or Mumbai-Ahmedabad HSR or even mass transit/light rail projects will come at the cost of something (zero-sum thinking). They can't fathom that people will use both the proposed and existing options as per their needs and that having alternatives is a sign of healthy infrastructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkus View Post
When an outsider like me saw the HS solutions in Florida and Texas, and the disaster in California seems to me that the Reps knows better how to deal with taxes people money!
To be honest the problems in California are quite unlike Texas and Florida. Both Texas and Florida have flat terrain with ample land in the countryside for a right of way. CA has to contend with some difficult terrain and much denser suburban/urban areas which pushes the cost of building higher. The FL project is technically not even high speed rail. And the only reason private funders are interested in FL and TX is the lower cost of land acquisition.
Reps have their own issues with spending taxpayer money.

Jordbcn, aquaticko liked this post
Smooth Indian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 02:34 AM   #7620
fkus

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Indian View Post
Often a lot of people feel a particular project such as CAHSR or HS2 in UK or Mumbai-Ahmedabad HSR or even mass transit/light rail projects will come at the cost of something (zero-sum thinking). They can't fathom that people will use both the proposed and existing options as per their needs and that having alternatives is a sign of healthy infrastructure.

To be honest the problems in California are quite unlike Texas and Florida. Both Texas and Florida have flat terrain with ample land in the countryside for a right of way. CA has to contend with some difficult terrain and much denser suburban/urban areas which pushes the cost of building higher. The FL project is technically not even high speed rail. And the only reason private funders are interested in FL and TX is the lower cost of land acquisition.

Reps have their own issues with spending taxpayer money.

The problem could be all that you mention. But they are there. What is inconceivable is to do a budget that every time that you review the number, it was wrong. And the admin asks for X and this X is not enough even for the start. The name of this is Incompetence!
fkus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states