Votes: 23 0.9%

Votes: 43 1.7%
  • less than 3

Votes: 157 6.3%
1M views 6K replies 899 participants last post by  isaidso 
#1 · (Edited)
#25 ·
<table cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width=98% class="quoteBox">
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by DaninTO </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>Its funny how no one ever mentions Houston, san francisco, dallas and countless other cities who's skyline is full of boxes. They think because they have one building that doesn't look like one it makes them spectacular. If I were to give 1/10 to every city that had a forumer that spoke out against dumb comments, then not one city on this board would get anything but that. That includes Melbourne and Chicago.</td></tr>
</table>

LOL well said.

after all isn't the "box" or "rectangle" the primary shape of more than 90% of the world's skyscrapers ?

it's a real A-DUH thing to say a city is full of boxes, so generalised, and so "UMMM DER - no shit sherlock!".

nevertheless, even though this is still quite generalised, a better way of describing Toronto's take on the skyscraper box that's guaranteed to pop up in many many MANY cities around the world, is Toronto has a lot of prominant Internationalist slabs (cant think of the proper way to describe it, that's just a local Aussie term, which is probably also used elsewhere).

Scotia Plaza is a classic modern errr for lack of a better word, "box" - it's a warped rectangle with vertical steps and extra features (the upside down triangle indentation up the top), like so many of the 80's / 90's scrapers here in Melbourne, the primary shape is of a rectangle, but with lots of extra "add-ons" or "features" per say.

anyhow, I've ranted in a agreement with you enough (also was an attempt to spark an intelligent conversation in the hope that no other moron blindly names Toronto - box city or some other profanity).

...well that's just how I look upon so many skyscrapers globally!

cheers!

tays

#27 ·
Boxy so what?

If it's boxy so what; it's still a pretty damn good skyline. Not a 10/10 but certainly NOT a 1/10.
I don't really understand the hatred towards Toronto from everywhere. We have Ottawa, where people will beat you up if you have a Leafs jersey on! Then we have Western Canada who hate us because of..well I don't really know! And who could forget Montreal, which have been our rivals since the beggining the creation of Canada! Welcome to the list Skyscraper forumers; you are officailly ranked forth!
Boxy? Is that why you gave it a 1/10? Man if it's that bad give Detroit a -100/10. But seriuosly on a good note T.O doesn't deserve a 1/10 in my honest to god opinion! ;)

:bash:

G
#34 ·
Wow, Im pretty surprised. I wasn't expecting so many 9/10s. But then I remembered this isn't SSP.com, people seem to be more optimistic/open. Doesn't really seem to be any trolls here either. Well run.

For me...8.5/10. I think it's definetely one of the best in the world. I think the boxiness if focused on far too much - look at any city in NA and you'll find tons of boxes (LA, Houston, etc.). I also find it odd when people say "Take out the CN Tower and SkyDome and it's nothing special.". That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. You could say that about any city in the world in regards to their landmark buildings.

Anyways, with all the projects on the horizon and currently U/C (esp. CityPlace) I think Toronto's skyline will be changing more dramatically than any city in NA over the next 10 years. Should be incredible.

#38 ·
One of my favorite NA skylines. Although, without CN and the Skydome it would be only average.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.