Smithfield | Former Wholesale Markets | Major Mixed-Use Redevelopment - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2015, 02:06 AM   #41
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 2113

Where is this from? I'm lost as to what everyone is talking about. The acme images?
BlackCountryAl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2015, 02:14 AM   #42
Urbanicity

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHvillan View Post
Finally, is the name Smithfield linked to this area historically or is it simply a reference to the London markets? If it's the latter I'm losing faith
I was wondering this, too. It seems every city has a development zone named Smithfield - London's market, Manchester's new development quarter, even Stoke's "Smithfield Business Quarter" with the new council offices.

But in Birmingham's case, apparently the area was historically known as Smithfield due to the presence of the markets - Smithfield Market was opened here in 1817, reflected in the name of today's Smithfield House. So it's not just a marketing gimmick after all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithfield,_Birmingham

NeilM, Butterfield liked this post
Urbanicity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 02:15 AM   #43
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Also the Debenhams car park seems to have been replaced in this. This the big brown blobby thing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2015, 02:28 AM   #44
o'flaneurie

Likes (Received): 94

Great to see this development out of the starting blocks at long last, even if they are just visions at this stage. Really pleased the new district is to be called Smithfield - I think this is the name of one of the old markets on the site? There is a Smithfield House in Digbeth.

I hope they link up some of the old road pattern (e.g. Allison St, Bromsgrove St, Sherlock St and Bradford St), so that eventually development/footfall can expand into the greater Digbeth area.

One question - does 1,000 homes seem a little unambitious considering the size of the site?
o'flaneurie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 03:11 AM   #45
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Quote:
Originally Posted by o'flaneurie View Post
I hope they link up some of the old road pattern (e.g. Allison St, Bromsgrove St, Sherlock St and Bradford St), so that eventually development/footfall can expand into the greater Digbeth area.
Image on the birminghampost with the caption 'view of New Bromsgrove street'. The one with the metro running through it. This the only dark blue line that runs from Bromsgrove street through the site.

Harborne Ultimatum, o'flaneurie liked this post
Old March 12th, 2015, 10:30 AM   #46
That_G

Likes (Received): 161

Look how huge the hs2 station looks in the above picture!!
That_G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 11:00 AM   #47
acquiescent

Likes (Received): 65

Good to see that the extremely bland, disappointing 2002-3 indoor and rag markets buildings are due to be replaced. I always thought that this was a missed opportunity, especially considering the effort they put into contemporary market buildings in places like Spain or Rotterdam.

And likewise, it's encouraging to see the imminent demise of that nondescript strip of 1950s buildings south of St Martins, on the west side of Digbeth High Street, opposite the Cold Store.

I'm not too fussed about these visuals - it's clear that these have just been cobbled together for the purposes of having something to show at MIPIM - and the scheme will evolve and change multiple times before the first shovels hit the ground.
acquiescent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 11:26 AM   #48
KHvillan

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
This is just a visioning document KHvillan. The thought will be applied at the next stage.
I know djay but getting the vision right is the most important stage. As stated above it looks cobbled together for the purposes of MIPIM
KHvillan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 11:28 AM   #49
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2174

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquiescent View Post

I'm not too fussed about these visuals - it's clear that these have just been cobbled together for the purposes of having something to show at MIPIM - and the scheme will evolve and change multiple times before the first shovels hit the ground.

Exactly...and lets not forget, we haven't even got a planning application for the new wholesale market yet.. I'm sure the replacement wouldn't take too long to build, but demolition and site clearance will not be happening for a few years I imagine.
nigeman está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 02:04 PM   #50
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Likes (Received): 2709

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCountryAl View Post
Image on the birminghampost with the caption 'view of New Bromsgrove street'. The one with the metro running through it. This the only dark blue line that runs from Bromsgrove street through the site.
Thanks - that's a really useful post. If we're assuming that the Metro line will leave at the junction of Bradford St and Moat Lane, and head across the Wholesale Markets site in a straight line directly corresponding to Bromsgrove St (along 'New Bromsgrove St') and crossing Pershore St, it looks likely that Bristol St is the intended target. From there, it could head south and out of town, or up towards New St again along Suffolk St Q'Way past the Mailbox, completing a very useful loop through the south of town!

The position of the junction at Bradford St makes me think even more that Moor St will be used now.
Harborne Ultimatum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #51
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 5151

No ideas if this is an actual CGI

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/403916660306023769/

joshwebb liked this post
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 04:07 PM   #52
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Likes (Received): 2709

What in the blue hell is going on there?

Harborne Ultimatum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 04:12 PM   #53
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Old March 12th, 2015, 04:15 PM   #54
LocalVernacular
...you can call me LoVe.

Likes (Received): 929

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHvillan View Post

Finally, is the name Smithfield linked to this area historically or is it simply a reference to the London markets? If it's the latter I'm losing faith
Yes, Smithfield market used to be on this site and was incorporated into the Wholesale Market development in the 70's. One of the buildings on Moat Lane is called Smithfield House and one of the former car dealerships nearby was 'Smithfield Garage'.

I'm thankful that they've chosen a more meaningful name for this rather than more meaningless, generic names like 'Heartlands', 'Eastside', 'Southern Gateway' etc.... Yawn...
LocalVernacular no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 04:53 PM   #55
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 5151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborne Ultimatum View Post
What in the blue hell is going on there?

If this CGI's is true (from MarketingBham) then it's more what I expected from a cultural and entertainment district. The day time renders looked so dull as previously stated.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 05:35 PM   #56
ROYAL BLUE

Likes (Received): 1351

Loving the ambition behind this project, but other then learning the name of the masterplan, we know nothing new, this is at the same stage Paradise Circus was in 2005.

djay liked this post

Last edited by ROYAL BLUE; March 12th, 2015 at 09:28 PM.
ROYAL BLUE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 08:05 PM   #57
joshwebb
User Registered

Likes (Received): 783

Has anybody else noticed the word live in blue letters going around near the top of the tower?
joshwebb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 10:21 PM   #58
Steldemetriou
Stel

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
No ideas if this is an actual CGI

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/403916660306023769/

Can't get by bearings with this, and seems a completely different masterplan to the councils lash up.
Steldemetriou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 10:30 PM   #59
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

You can see the roof of south and city college in the top right corner, Pershore street, and the arcadian are on the the left.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Dig...d+Kingdom&z=17
Old March 12th, 2015, 11:28 PM   #60
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4505

Wow! Is this for real?????
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement