NEW YORK | JPMorgan Chase World Headquarters | 427m | 1400ft | 70 fl | Demo - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 11th, 2018, 05:48 AM   #81
LadyAmanita

Likes (Received): 300

^I actually feel sorry for that building. Its original architect did it no favors, and this renovation was just a poorly executed joke. I understand why it originally had no windows, but a better design might still have made it look kinda cool. (33 Thomas nearby looks like a badass Dieselpunk fortress of sorts) And done right, a reclad could have looked really cool, but this just screams minimum effort.

I felt the same way about 425 Park Avenue- that one hadn't aged well at all. Its brick facade probably looked cool back when it went up, but hadn't held up. And it never fully recovered from an electrical fire that happened a few years prior, so unlike 270 it wasn't functioning well. (270 might work beautifully for other tenants, it's only problem is that its current occupant needs more space) I also like that they kept part of the base building, so in a way, what's going on now is more of a drastic rebuild than anything.

I'm pretty sure that if Chase had decided to put its new tower where Verizon now stands, this project wouldn't be anywhere near as controversial.
LadyAmanita está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2018, 06:01 AM   #82
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 2449

I dont think that the only problem here is, that Chase needs more space. I can imagine that the floors arent very flexible due to the columns, maybe they cant up date the building fully to todays standarts, natural light inside the tower, maybe issues to fit out modern trading floors or so. From a logical standpoint i feel like making such a decission as to raze such a tower and replace it took a lot of brainstorming beforehand and i feel like they wouldnt put so much effort into this project if there would be a simple problem that could be solved easier than what they plan to do.
Old March 11th, 2018, 08:01 AM   #83
LadyAmanita

Even if the building doesn't work for Chase, it might be perfect for somebody else. It sucks that there isn't something right nearby that they could do the 425 Park Avenue treatment on, and sell their existing building to somebody else, or straight up offer to swap it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2018, 08:39 PM   #84
germantower
i ♥ NY

I promise we are all going to donate money, order an effigy corpse that resembles 270 park avenue, put it in a coffin and make a walk down Park Avenue to mourn the buildings demise.
Old March 11th, 2018, 10:42 PM   #85
LadyAmanita

LOL. I've been doing skyscraper personification cosplay for years, I'll do 270 and stand in for the effigy. I still think that of all the buildings in that area, it's a sin we're losing one of the best.

goodybear liked this post
Old March 12th, 2018, 11:53 PM   #86
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 47910

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodybear View Post
I wish the company owning the tower would buy 375 Pearl instead to replace it with something new. Now THAT building is a monstrosity.
Photo taken by Tectonic and found on New York YIMBY.
It is. But before the modifications it wasn't.

xing lin liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2018, 01:17 AM   #87
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 3510

At least the Verizon building has reached rock bottom now. They could put a rainbow-coloured ferris wheel and a Joseph Stalin statue on top and it wouldn't make a difference anymore.
Old March 13th, 2018, 01:18 AM   #88
LadyAmanita

Yeah, if Chase made an offer to the owners of 375 Pearl for a trade, that wouldn't be so bad. The modifications made to that building were horrid.
Old March 13th, 2018, 04:54 AM   #89
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 2362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Another incredible project at the center of the world. The demolition of 51 East 42nd for 1 Vanderbilt was already a spectacle, this will be something else entirely. Not even the destruction of the Singer Building will compare.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2018, 07:39 AM   #90
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 6868

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodybear View Post
I wish the company owning the tower would buy 375 Pearl instead to replace it with something new. Now THAT building is a monstrosity.

Photo taken by Tectonic and found on New York YIMBY.
I hate the brown ones below it even more. Those have to go. The social experiment has failed.

Troopchina liked this post
AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2018, 08:13 AM   #91
germantower
i ♥ NY

There are many more of those brown buildings to the right occupying about a mile of prime east river frontage.

erbse liked this post
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2018, 09:19 AM   #92
goodybear
I <3 Frankfurt&Melbourne

Likes (Received): 2192

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
I promise we are all going to donate money, order an effigy corpse that resembles 270 park avenue, put it in a coffin and make a walk down Park Avenue to mourn the buildings demise.
Idk why, but that post just reminded me of an artwork that used to stand in the WTC plaza.
Old April 9th, 2018, 09:30 PM   #93
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 1011

I was really blindsided by this news since it first broke during the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, and since then, I couldn't bring myself to state that I do not support the demolition of any building with a height of over 200 meters, or that I do not support the demolition of any LEED-certified building of any certification level. I just never thought such a demolition would actually happen in my lifetime.

Also, it is always sad to see a piece of land having more value than the building that sits on that land, so good and still-useful buildings on that land always end up demolished because of this. JPMorgan Chase should have thought about buying itself a new headquarters on, say, the West Side and let other tenants occupy 270 Park Avenue instead. This is going to be a really big loss (maybe the biggest since the original Penn Station and the original World Trade Center) if this demolition becomes reality.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.

LadyAmanita liked this post
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2018, 12:13 AM   #94
Hudson11
Excelsior!

Likes (Received): 36863

not much of a shocker here going with AECOM. The tentative timeframe is a bit surprising. Was this written poorly, or does JP Morgan actually plan on taking down this 200m skyscraper in roughly a year? I'm guessing TRD meant the demolition will start then.

AECOM Tishman tapped to build 270 Park Avenue: sources
Quote:
The company was tapped to build a new, 70-story office tower that will span 2.5 million square feet, sources said. JPMorgan plans to raze the existing 52-story building and begin construction on the new tower by 2019.
[...]
The deal has not yet been finalized, sources said.

Last edited by Hudson11; April 13th, 2018 at 12:30 AM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2018, 08:06 AM   #95
goodybear
I <3 Frankfurt&Melbourne

Wait, why would they demolish the old building before even releasing the final design for the new building?
Old April 13th, 2018, 05:21 PM   #96
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
not much of a shocker here going with AECOM. The tentative timeframe is a bit surprising. Was this written poorly, or does JP Morgan actually plan on taking down this 200m skyscraper in roughly a year? I'm guessing TRD meant the demolition will start then.

AECOM Tishman tapped to build 270 Park Avenue: sources
A year isn't unreasonable for that large of a building.
DemolitionDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2018, 04:11 AM   #97
germantower
i ♥ NY

I think a year to take down a 200m tower seems a bit optimistic, doesnt it?
Old May 1st, 2018, 08:49 AM   #99
goodybear
I <3 Frankfurt&Melbourne

That diagram just made me realize, 432 Park Avenue is more than twice as tall than nearly every building at Park Avenue??? Hopefully when/if this building is built it can help mitigate its dominance slightly (if it is a good design).
Old May 1st, 2018, 11:43 AM   #100
Twopsy

Likes (Received): 454

I noticed that there is also a lowrise version of that tower with just ten floors next to it. Will that also be demolished? Then the new tower could really have a large footprint.
Twopsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bank, banking, grand central, headquarters, midtown, midtown east, midtown east rezoning, new york city, nyc, office building, offices, redevelopment, skyline, supertall, tallest building, united states