TORONTO | Subway & Light Rail - Page 117 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 30th, 2019, 03:15 AM   #2321
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 23710

at Davisville station by Harvey K, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 6th, 2019, 04:38 AM   #2322
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Why Doug Ford's subway plan might actually work
Province's push to change the city's current transit plans has triggered outrage from Ford's political foes
CBC News Excerpt
Mar 29, 2019

Many Torontonians are quite understandably hugely skeptical about any transit plan touted by Premier Doug Ford, given the premier's late brother tore up what they saw as a perfectly fine Transit City plan in 2010 on his first day as mayor.

But what if the province's current plan for building new subway lines were being touted by a premier named Patrick Brown? Would those same Torontonians have the same negative gut reaction?

The questions are valid because the Ford government's ideas are not vastly different from what Brown was proposing in 2017 when he was PC leader. Brown too envisioned that the province would take responsibility for building new subway lines, including the Downtown Relief Line (DRL) as well as the Scarborough and Richmond Hill extensions, and leave the TTC to operate them.

Brown's financial argument for the province to own the new lines is the same as Ford's. The provincial government can amortize the capital cost, something the city cannot do. Under this financing model, when the province carries the subway construction cost on its books, the taxpayer's transit dollar would in theory go further.

Despite the logic in this, it seems that the Ford government can't do a thing on transit without triggering the outrage of his political opponents. The latest example is the province's move to propose changes to the TTC's priority transit projects. Pause for a moment, and consider whether this outrage is preventing a clear-headed, non-partisan assessment of the changes on their own merits.

More : https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...plan-1.5074713
Old April 7th, 2019, 01:24 AM   #2323
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 11726

What's needed is a comprehensive plan made by experts, based on the current and future needs of areas in the city. If an area isn't planning on developing yet begging for a subway, then don't give in. Spend on what's necessary. What's certain is that downtown Toronto needs an extra subway line (or two). Ideally, politics should not be heavily involved in public transport planning and trust the experts. And vote on plans based on their expertise.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2019, 04:26 PM   #2324
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The problem is transit is government-funded, hence is susceptible to politics that have resulted in the current stagnation while congestion worsens around the city.
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2019, 01:44 AM   #2325
saiho

Likes (Received): 4218

Edit

Last edited by saiho; April 12th, 2019 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Can we fix this database error stuff?
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2019, 01:52 AM   #2326
saiho

Likes (Received): 4218

New Ontario Line to include more stops in downtown core

The Relief Line got a big expansion by Dofo and is now much more useful but I would have preferred stations on the western extension to be at Spadina/King and Bathurst/Front. Doubt any of this will happen anyways. The saga continues...

Quote:
The new line will now include the following expansions to the city’s Relief Line South proposal:
  • The line will extend north, all the way to Ontario Science Centre instead of ending at Pape Station.
  • The line will extend further west, past Osgoode Station, through the downtown core and all the way to Ontario Place
Old April 12th, 2019, 11:28 AM   #2327
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Extension to York Region is happening : https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...extension.html
Old April 13th, 2019, 05:03 PM   #2328
hkskyline
Hong Kong

April 12, 2019
‘This is a game changer’: Yonge subway extension coming to Richmond Hill
The subway will replace the 2,500 bus trips per day currently servicing this segment of Yonge Street
Richmond Hill Liberal Excerpt

After more than a decade of waiting, Richmond Hill is finally forging ahead to construction of the Yonge North subway extension.

Premier Doug Ford announced on April 10 that the province will invest a portion of the $5.6 billion to build the Yonge subway extension from Finch Station in Toronto over the next 10 years.

Stretching 7.4 kilometres, the extension will include five new stations and two intermodal terminals at Steeles and Richmond Hill Centre Station.

It will also add 2,000 commuter parking spaces near Yonge Street and Hwy. 407.

“This is a game changer,” said Richmond Hill Mayor Dave Barrow. “This puts us in direct connection with the rest of Greater Toronto Area, obviously Toronto south, east and west to our neighbours Markham and Vaughan, and almost a second way of getting down to Toronto.”

Barrow said the subway extension provides a critical missing link to the transit network in the GTA and will create businesses and jobs in York Region.

The subway is going to move two riders every second of the day and lead to additional housing for up to 88,000 residents in the area, according to a press release from Richmond Hill.

More : https://www.yorkregion.com/news-stor...richmond-hill/

Polak_w_Kanadzie liked this post
Old April 17th, 2019, 06:13 AM   #2329
urbanflight

Likes (Received): 262

pudgym29 liked this post

Last edited by urbanflight; April 22nd, 2019 at 06:26 PM.
urbanflight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2019, 09:12 PM   #2330
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 14448

The Province of Ontario announced a little while ago to upload subways to the province from the City of Toronto. There was a great segment on TVO's The Agenda on this very issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzYRghZ3eKQ&t=494s

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

MrAronymous, urbanflight liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2019, 04:09 PM   #2331
Urbanista1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6893

The Relief Line extension to Ontario PLace/CNE is a good idea as it will help alleviate gridlock in the densely populated Liberty Village neighbourhood. The one stop Scarborough extension never made sense to me, so adding a few more stops is also a good idea.

I am a little cynical as I have heard all of this before, so we'll see if anything actually gets done, because we are now back to the drawing board phase of development, we won't see shovels in the ground for years again.
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2019, 08:13 PM   #2332
isaidso
the new republic

This is the first time since I moved to Toronto in 2001 that a government has proposed transit that meets the needs of the city. The City of Toronto was never going to be in a position to fund transit properly so I'm extremely pleased that the Province of Ontario has uploaded subways and taken this initiative.

It bears mentioning that we're not back to the drawing board as these plans didn't discard the work that has already been done. It took those plans and expanded on it. This will still require a monumental effort and deep collaboration. The relief is that we now access to funds that can finance transit properly. We've never been in this position.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old April 24th, 2019, 04:59 AM   #2333
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 374

Why does Ontario have to "upload" the subways in order to provide sufficient funding? I'm a bit skeptical, not only because the Fords have never shown much respect for transit or much aptitude for good transit decisions, but Human Transit's Jarrett Walker has been very critical of the move suggesting that taking direct control of one a community's core functions functions takes away power from the actual community that is using it and places it in the hands of a detached bureaucracy opens the door to greater problems, citing the take over of transit in NYC by the state as an example.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2019, 04:42 PM   #2334
Balkanada
why worry?

Likes (Received): 1705

you answered your own question. The point is for the province to have direct governance over Toronto and surrounding areas. Aside from "uploading" the subway, Ford plans on amalgamating municipalities in the 905 that are governed by a two-tier system into one for the same reason
Balkanada está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2019, 11:23 PM   #2335
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 374

Just to clarify, my main question was: Why can't the province increase its share of transit investment in the Toronto subway without taking control away from the city that (except for two stations) it serves? I don't understand what part of my question answers that.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2019, 12:13 AM   #2336
isaidso
the new republic

The City of Toronto debates, analyzes, studies, debates again, ad nauseam. It bears mentioning that the Downtown Relief Line was first proposed 50 years ago. I'm no fan of Doug Ford but the one thing I can agree with him on is we've run out of time. I have very little confidence in the City of Toronto's ability to get things done and quickly.. The Province is committed to building all of it by 2030. Compare that to the City of Toronto's pathetic 2 decades for just 1 partial line. Time for them to step aside. Patience has run out.

I wouldn't classify the provincial government as detached. Toronto is the provincial capital so these people use the TTC every day. They know first hand how much trouble we're in. I agree that the Ford's dislike transit but that is precisely why I'm confident that this will get rammed through and completed. Their rational is that more subways mean more space on the road for their car.

tenderforever liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; April 26th, 2019 at 04:26 AM.
Old April 25th, 2019, 05:14 PM   #2337
hkskyline
Hong Kong

All 3 levels of government were never serious about improving transit in Toronto. They were all around for announcement photo-ops, but the money never flowed in.

It's not just the municipal government that runs transit in the GTA. The province is involved with GO Transit. That level of government could have stepped in to relieve the cash-strapped TTC with better service within the city.
Old May 10th, 2019, 02:48 PM   #2338
hkskyline
Hong Kong

No Seats Left by Jason Cook, on Flickr
Old May 11th, 2019, 06:36 AM   #2339
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Scarborough RT at 'critical' stage
TTC line ran without any spare trains for five days in a row, risking overcrowding

6 May 2019
The Toronto Star Excerpt

The Scarborough RT's aging vehicle fleet reached a "critical juncture" last month when so few cars were available for service that the line was operating without any spares, according to the TTC.

The shortage of cars meant the agency had no margin for error to operate planned service on the RT, which serves more than 35,000 riders every day. It's a bad omen for Scarborough transit users who are supposed to rely on the line for at least another seven years.

The situation "is a prime example of the need to modernize and replace our assets before they reach their end of life expectancy," TTC CEO Rick Leary wrote in his latest report to the agency's board.

To operate full service on the RT, the TTC requires five trains. Each is made up of four cars, paired in two-car units, for a total of 20 vehicles.

The agency has 28 of the vehicles, which allow it to perform tasks such as preventative maintenance on some cars while still operating full service.

But in mid-April, workers discovered an electrical fault on a car as they were preparing it for morning service. At the same time, a car in another unit was found to have an axle-bearing defect.

Both of the two-car units had to be taken out of service. And because two more units were already undergoing overhauls as part of a life-extension program to keep the RT running, over five days the TTC had just 20 cars available.
Old May 19th, 2019, 03:59 AM   #2340
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Ford government sought Union Station data, streetcar manuals in subway upload talks
The Toronto Star Excerpt
16 May 2019

The Ontario government has asked for information about Union Station and TTC operations as part of negotiations with the city over the province's proposed subway upload, sparking concerns among critics that Premier Doug Ford's Progressive Conservative government is contemplating a wider takeover of Toronto's transit system than it has publicly disclosed.

The Ministry of Transportation issued a request to the city for data about Toronto's transit system on Feb. 12. The province says it requires the information in order to help execute its stated goal of taking ownership of the TTC subway system.

Council voted in December to authorize the city to share information about its transit system when it agreed to talks with the province, and, according to the terms of reference the two sides agreed to, the goal of the exchange is to “establish a mutual understanding” of the value of TTC subway assets, deferred maintenance and operating costs.

A copy of the ministry's request, which the Star obtained through freedom of information legislation, shows that while the government asked for specific information about the subway network, including asset audits, capital program materials and TTC board decisions about maintenance and expansion projects, it is also seeking documents related to the broader transit system.

The exhaustive five-page “draft preliminary list,” marked as confidential, includes requests for documents about TTC property transactions, capital projects related to the bus and streetcar divisions, and Presto fare card data.

More : https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...oad-talks.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto