KANSAS CITY - Arrowhead Stadium (76,416) - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What do you reckon?
This is great, I love my car! 31 34.07%
This is urban planning gone mad! 60 65.93%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 20th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #1
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

KANSAS CITY - Arrowhead Stadium (76,416)

NFL
[IMG]http://i48.************/2lmrn8l.png[/IMG]
Kansas City Chiefs

1x Champion:

image hosted on flickr

Actually I should've named this thread 'Truman Sports Complex, Kansas City'. Both the Arrowhead stadium and the Kauffman Stadium can be seen on the photos. From Wikipedia:

The Truman Sports Complex was built by the government of Jackson County and managed by the Jackson County Sports Complex Authority.[2] The current complex design was arrived after other plans were discarded[3] and called for separate side-by-side stadiums[4] with a mutual rolling roof. However, the roof was never built due to cost.[3] The complex was revolutionary in an age when stadiums were built as big multiuse venues. The design established the reputation of architect Kivett & Myers. In 1975 the firm merged with Kansas City architect firm HNTB and went on to design stadiums including Giants Stadium, RCA Dome, INVESCO Field at Mile High, and Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Last edited by www.sercan.de; December 8th, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
Joop20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #2
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

It's even worse placement for Kauffman.
krudmonk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 02:33 AM   #3
Benn

Likes (Received): 217

And they still have some parking shortage issues. Makes me glad I can catch the train to Vikings games
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2007, 02:24 AM   #4
FastFerrari
I double dog dare you!!!

Likes (Received): 32

Arrowhead stadium to me is one of the best. Who cares about parking or any of the minor stuff. Like the design, and all around a great stadium!
FastFerrari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 08:06 AM   #5
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 67

Not a big fan of the massive parking lots around a lot of stadiums but I understand people have to drive to the game because of the lack of good public transit to a lot of areas.
Bobby3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 04:52 PM   #6
Joop20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
Not a big fan of the massive parking lots around a lot of stadiums but I understand people have to drive to the game because of the lack of good public transit to a lot of areas.
Wouldn't it have been more sensible to build the stadium where there is good public transport in place then? People are practically forced to go to this stadium by car. Moreover, don't people want to enjoy themselves before and after a game in Kansas City? There seems to be absolutely nothing in place here for people to enjoy themselves.

I also don't understand why American stadiums seem to have a lack of roofs. It's not like Kansas City has such a nice climate or anything, so I don't get why they dont spend some bucks on putting a fancy roof overthose stands!
Old November 23rd, 2007, 04:58 PM   #7
Quintana
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1653

Oh dear, not this again...

Americans don't like fancy roofs and need big parking lots for tailgating.
Quintana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 05:08 PM   #8
Joop20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintana View Post
Oh dear, not this again...

Americans don't like fancy roofs and need big parking lots for tailgating.
Your posts are always so constructive Quintana .

I know Americans don't like fancy roofs, but I wonder why they don't. I mean, what's so fun about sitting in the rain or in the wind.

And most stadiums in the USA don't seem to need such large parking lots to facilitate those tailgating parties, this one is really extreme. I also wonder whether tailgating parties are popular because there are no facilities around the stadiums, or whether there are no facilities around the stadiums because of those silly tailgaters.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 05:08 PM   #9
Fabio1976

Likes (Received): 187

Is it true that there are 2 Kansas City ( one in Kansas State and one in Missouri ) ?
The Kansas Wizards ( MLS ) is the soccer team of Kansas City of the Kansas State or fo Kansas City of Missouri State ?
Fabio1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 05:21 PM   #10
Joop20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio1976 View Post
Is it true that there are 2 Kansas City ( one in Kansas State and one in Missouri ) ?
The Kansas Wizards ( MLS ) is the soccer team of Kansas City of the Kansas State or fo Kansas City of Missouri State ?
Yep, that's true. If I'm not mistaken, the Wizards are from Kansas state. Arrowhead stadium on the other hand is located in Missouri state. Both cities form one urban area though.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 05:40 PM   #11
Fabio1976

Likes (Received): 187

Are you sure that Arrowhead is in Missouri State ? I think that it is in Kansas State .
Fabio1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 05:54 PM   #12
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

The Wizards played in Arrowhead up to and including this year. Next season, they'll be in some bogus baseball stadium (yikes) in Kansas City, KS until their SSS is finished.
krudmonk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 08:51 PM   #13
Loranga
Hoj!

Isn't the parking lot for Dodger Stadium (Los Angeles) even bigger?
Loranga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 09:21 PM   #14
MRichR

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio1976 View Post
Are you sure that Arrowhead is in Missouri State ? I think that it is in Kansas State .
It's in Missouri, just off of Interstate 70.

Americans don't like roofs, because American football was meant to be played outdoors. The weather conditions are just part of the game, and part of the experience. And yes, most football stadiums the parking lots do need to be that big for tailgaiting. Go to most any college town or NFL stadium on gameday and you'll see why. Tailgaiting is HUGE. Again, part of the experience, and it's a great all-day one! It's ten times better than sitting in some bar. NFL tickets are hard to find in most places, and a lot of people go just to tailgate.

Last edited by MRichR; November 23rd, 2007 at 09:31 PM.
MRichR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #15
eMKay

Likes (Received): 227

Tailgating is what we do, and we need space to do it. There is public transport to every stadium in the country if you want to use it, even ones out in the middle of nowhere.
eMKay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #16
dande
In the brig

Likes (Received): 27

Pretty every NFL stadium will have retractable roof. I understand if Detroit has one, but why Arizona and Houston need one? I guess some people in the US donīt think that the football was supposed to be played in rain and snow no matter what.
dande no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #17
dande
In the brig

Likes (Received): 27

Pretty soon every NFL stadium will have retractable roof. I understand if Detroit has one, but why Arizona and Houston need one? I guess some people in the US donīt think that the football was supposed to be played in rain and snow no matter what.
dande no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #18
LMCA1990
I love my life

Likes (Received): 4483

I like the stadiums but the parking is too much. Couldn't they have made multi-level parking?
Old November 24th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #19
skaP187

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichR View Post
It's in Missouri, just off of Interstate 70.

Americans don't like roofs, because American football was meant to be played outdoors. The weather conditions are just part of the game, and part of the experience. And yes, most football stadiums the parking lots do need to be that big for tailgaiting. Go to most any college town or NFL stadium on gameday and you'll see why. Tailgaiting is HUGE. Again, part of the experience, and it's a great all-day one! It's ten times better than sitting in some bar. NFL tickets are hard to find in most places, and a lot of people go just to tailgate.
Beautifull answer, specialy the fat part.
Old November 24th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #20
HUSKER
NUEVO ESTADO DE LA LAGUNA

Likes (Received): 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by dande View Post
Pretty soon every NFL stadium will have retractable roof. I understand if Detroit has one, but why Arizona and Houston need one? I guess some people in the US donīt think that the football was supposed to be played in rain and snow no matter what.
Phoenix U in Arizona has a retractable roof because of the heat (september and october games still have a lot of heat)., and in Houston the rain and moisture in the air make the roof a must.
HUSKER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
american football, kansas city, united states