Central Station Redevelopment | Newcastle | Various | U/C - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #61
Gary12345

Likes (Received): 3

A redevelopment of Central Station surely deserves its own thread, rather than being tucked away in a generic rail thread. I would have missed that if it wasn't for the Chronicle!

That's big development news.
Gary12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #62
cranfan

Likes (Received): 65

Called in at the station this evening. A summary from memory

* The portico to be floored and glazed. Three exits: taxis to the right, short-stay to the left, pedestrian access to O'Neills and the rest of Newcastle straight on.
* Ticket vending machines and info screens in the portico, along with retail 'pods' as seen in the render
* Further along platform 12 from Sainsbury's: more retail, new toilet facilities, the new travel center.
* The old travel center to be removed and replaced by further ("airside") retail opportunities. These to be pushed back behind the line of the roof support columns.
* The gateline to be moved to the line of those columns and the space in front to be cleared.

The EC lady said that they had been working with English Heritage so one would expect that they are either onside or that any residual objections aren't being taken seriously.

Stuff I should have asked about - does this mean an end to CC Hudsons and the Centurion indoor beer garden? Will any improvements be made on the platforms over the bridge (eg the waiting rooms of the same design as the travelcenter)?
cranfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:10 PM   #63
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranfan View Post
Called in at the station this evening. A summary from memory

* The portico to be floored and glazed. Three exits: taxis to the right, short-stay to the left, pedestrian access to O'Neills and the rest of Newcastle straight on.
* Ticket vending machines and info screens in the portico, along with retail 'pods' as seen in the render
* Further along platform 12 from Sainsbury's: more retail, new toilet facilities, the new travel center.
* The old travel center to be removed and replaced by further ("airside") retail opportunities. These to be pushed back behind the line of the roof support columns.
* The gateline to be moved to the line of those columns and the space in front to be cleared.

The EC lady said that they had been working with English Heritage so one would expect that they are either onside or that any residual objections aren't being taken seriously.

Stuff I should have asked about - does this mean an end to CC Hudsons and the Centurion indoor beer garden? Will any improvements be made on the platforms over the bridge (eg the waiting rooms of the same design as the travelcenter)?
How will short stay access 'in and out' be organised as it is a very tight area?
Will the 'in' be immediately west of the portico and the 'out' currently as it is?
What will happen to the trees/bus stops in that area?

Trying to get a pint into a quart pot but will need to see detailed plans.

This project needs its own thread.
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #64
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2061

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary12345 View Post
A redevelopment of Central Station surely deserves its own thread, rather than being tucked away in a generic rail thread. I would have missed that if it wasn't for the Chronicle!

Could be right!!

That is how 'Project Threads' come into existence, a possible project is covered in its early stages on it's appropriate discussion thread (like 'Rail', or one of the 'Developments' threads) until such time as it is pretty certain to actually happen.

A lot don't ever reach that stage

However, Central Station Redevelopment looks like it is (at last) going to happen now, so perhaps it's own thread is indicated?

What do people think?
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #65
kedos

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Swall View Post
You will be able to view these plans for the inside of the station,
with representatives on hand to discuss any aspects with you. The
exhibition will take place on Tuesday 12 and Wednesday 13 March, from
3.30pm to 7.30pm on both days.
I read the same details on the sky tyne and wear website and when I went to view at 7.05pm they were packing up to leave! Perhaps you could point that out to whoever you spoke to that they had an early finish

Will try and get there earlier tomorrow!
kedos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #66
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Could be right!!

That is how 'Project Threads' come into existence, a possible project is covered in its early stages on it's appropriate discussion thread (like 'Rail', or one of the 'Developments' threads) until such time as it is pretty certain to actually happen.

A lot don't ever reach that stage

However, Central Station Redevelopment looks like it is (at last) going to happen now, so perhaps it's own thread is indicated?

What do people think?
Yes I reckon there will be some mileage in that particular project with plenty of opportunities for our 'snappers' to maintain a unique image collection of the progress over the year or so it is estimated to take.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #67
Adrian_Swall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedos View Post
I read the same details on the sky tyne and wear website and when I went to view at 7.05pm they were packing up to leave! Perhaps you could point that out to whoever you spoke to that they had an early finish

Will try and get there earlier tomorrow!
Sorry about that!
My post was a straight cut'n'paste from an email I received from NCC.
Old March 13th, 2013, 12:50 AM   #68
kedos

Likes (Received): 7

Don't worry I wasn't blaming you! Like I said Sky had the same info!
Cheers!
kedos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #69
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2061

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary12345 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Yes I reckon there will be some mileage in that particular project with plenty of opportunities for our 'snappers' to maintain a unique image collection of the progress over the year or so it is estimated to take.

OK here it is!

New 'Project Thread' to follow the redevelopment of Central Station, incorporating posts from as far back as 2011 when it was first announced, now set up WEF 12th March 2013 . . .
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #70
Pleaty

Likes (Received): 39

Was there last night looked through the plans and was impressed, one more thing that does not seem to be mentioned is that a new 'destination' pub is planned up where the left luggage office is now, this must mean an end to the miserable Newcastle hero (or whatever it is called) which must be the most depressing pub in Newcastle.
Pleaty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #71
Adrian_Swall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleaty View Post
Was there last night looked through the plans and was impressed, one more thing that does not seem to be mentioned is that a new 'destination' pub is planned up where the left luggage office is now, this must mean an end to the miserable Newcastle hero (or whatever it is called) which must be the most depressing pub in Newcastle.
Did they say the plans were available on line?
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #72
geordiejon

Likes (Received): 47

Do you think the taxi rank could be behind the old sorting royal mail part of the station- near the centre for life- or possibly where the short term car park is? I had also read somewhere that the coach station will be there? Not sure if this is THE national express coach station that is by the gay bars- which is a feeble coach station for a city of Newcastle status or just a drop off for coaches- although not sure what demand there is for the latter.
geordiejon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #73
geordiejon

Likes (Received): 47

I have to say though the plans look great and love the idea of the glazed front area and I'm reality is the only way to provide extra facilities in the station. I do agree about the heating- it bloody freezing in there all the time- even if it's hot outside (rare I know) buts it at least 10 degrees on those platforms. Looking at the renders I can't se how they are improving the visibility of the castle keep in there.
geordiejon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #74
minimoog

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiejon View Post
Looking at the renders I can't se how they are improving the visibility of the castle keep in there.
Mainly by relocating the ticket office/travel centre and replacing it with less obtrusive retail units set back behind the first line of roof pillars. Also possibly by removing/relocating the Starbucks and that deli thing by the Centurian? Moving the timetable boards, phone kiosks and other clutter will help too.

Last edited by minimoog; March 13th, 2013 at 03:04 PM.
minimoog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #75
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 787

Is there any models or pictures of how it would look? Any information that we don't already know about that would make it worth going up to have a look at?

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #76
Manors
Between Manors and Byker

Likes (Received): 19

I had a quick look when passing through today - bit of a waste of time. Only a few easels with picture mock ups, no leaflets etc. I can remember when King's Cross was going to be done up, both Network Rail and East Coast had quite a good stand showing what was going to happen. Even at Leeds, the stand for the new south entrance was much better than this offering.
Manors no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #77
Stamford

Likes (Received): 684

There were people from Eastcoast, NCC & Miller and I talked to them all, as well as getting permission to take these pics. No models, just 4 easels with 8 different pictures / plans on for what they intend to do. These are the pics and apparently when the official submission goes to the council for listed building approval, these and a shed load more will be available on the planning portal.

Most of what has already been reported is correct except the guy from the council, who is dealing with the traffic / external plans, said the current crossing towards O'Neill's will go, to be replaced by two crossings, one at either end of the portico. Although he did stress that nothing has been set in stone yet for the externals.

A few other points / proposals

1/No public dropping off / picking up area

2/Neville street will be strictly, 100% one way traffic (i.e. no service road running in opposite direction)

3/The short part of Grainger Street between Neville Street and Westgate Road to be pedestrianised

4/Because of a new exit for taxi area and a new entrance to short term car park, as well as the closure of the service road, some bus stops will be relocated to Clayton Street West and Westgate Road.

5/Apparently the idea of purchasing Baron house and creating an open space was discussed, but Hilton have now bought it so can't be done.

Work hopefully to commence in May and be completed early next year

I'm sure I'll remember other stuff after I pressed post, but that's if for now

My Photostream on Flikr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Last edited by Stamford; March 13th, 2013 at 10:07 PM.
Stamford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #78
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamford View Post
There were people from Eastcoast, NCC & Miller and I talked to them all, as well as getting permission to take these pics. No models, just 4 easels with 8 different pictures / plans on for what they intend to do. These are the pics and apparently when the official submission goes to the council for listed building approval, these and a shed load more will be available on the planning portal.

Most of what has already been reported is correct except the guy from the council, who is dealing with the traffic / external plans, said the current crossing towards O'Neill's will go, to be replaced by two crossings, one at either end of the portico. Although he did stress that nothing has been set in stone yet for the externals.

A few other points / proposal

5/Apparently the idea of purchasing Baron house and creating an open space was discussed, but Hilton have now bought it so can't be done.
No expense spared on those boards - creased and looking as though they were cobbled together with not a lot of care.

Wonder why no one was there from Network Rail, after all they are the owners of the building?

Who was thinking of buying Baron House to demolish it and make the site into an open space?

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #79
Adrian_Swall

No public pick up/ drop off.
What about elderly or the infirm?
How will they have easy access to the station?

Bus stops - again, where will they be located?
Buses come round Baron House and onto the Neville Street bus stops.

The station should connect to other public transport as seamlessly as possible.

Tourist bus stand.
There is a very poor facility for passengers waiting for the ferry terminal.
Would like to have seen a dedicated covered facility for our very important visitors.
Old March 13th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #80
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 62

I am glad that there will be no Baron House Square. Like the suggested 'Bigg Market Square', these things are often pressed for ("Won't it be nice to have a bit of open space!") with no thought for the townscape implications, which woul'd generally involve an unravelling or degeneration of the urban fabric. It wouldn't make a lovely square but just be a traffic island with delusions of grandeur.
Advertisement

Tags
construction, constructions, developments, england, newcastle, newcastle transport, project, project - newcastle area, projects, rail, railways, redevelopment, transport, united kingdom